Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lighting in the game is disappointing...

Shira3000Shira3000 Posts: 348 Member
Hello everyone!
I wanted to talk about a very annoying thing that really bothers me in the game and it is the outdoor lightning and lightning at all. Always when I build gardens and venues with a lot of plants I like to make the plants lit because I think it’s very cool and pretty. For example I put plants and put a lamp or a spotlight on them in order to make them lit or shine.. Also I put many outdoor lamps and lanterns but I never get the final outcome that I wished for. The lightning is not strong as I want it to be, the plants are like ignoring the lightning and the lamps don’t really make the area lit. Also objects near the lamp are dark, really dark. All the lightning system is incomplete and not good enough to build our dream homes and gardens. (I want to emphasize that I use the ultra settings, but the lightning is not good as I think it should be!) Do you think like me?
Post edited by Shira3000 on

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @shira3000, different lights have different light intensity, you should experiment with the choices to get the intensity you want. It is unfortunate that you can't just choose lighting based on the style of light, but it is what it is.

Indoors, there is a simple, round ceiling light that is super, super bright. I shrink it with the [ key to be very small, and put it anywhere I want more lighting, using it in combination with the stylistic light choices. I haven't ever found outdoor lighting to be a problem, so have no similar light choice for outside. All I can say is, experiment with the different choices available, you should be able to find something that fits your needs.

One light in my garden area is super bright, and illuminates plants really well. You can see it on the right side of the image below. Each light give off the same intensity of light regardless of the size you make it with [ and ] keys, so if you find a light that you like the lighting of, but don't like the visual of the fixture itself, shrink it to make it less obtrusive.
    tumblr_pjf6arDFnQ1tkpp11o4_1280.png
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I haven't been happy with the lights, either. I don't like overhead lights because they're constantly blocking my view, but the only lights that are bright enough are the space-ship overhead lights (from GTW?). None of the wall lights is adequate, even if you've got them on every wall of the room.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    You could try using the move objects cheat and "stacking" lights, so that it looks as if there is just one light. It will make the area brighter each time you place a light.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Not really on topic, but I miss when day light was enough to go by during the day, and auto lights meant "will turn on during nights" and not "will turn on anytime a sim is there or you won't see a thing".
  • Options
    OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    edited December 2018
    You could use the bb.showhiddenobjects command for the invisible lights. You wont be able to see them unless your in build mode, so they don't get in the way. My problem with them is that they seem to over saturate everything (at least to my eye).

The other thing you can do (works better inside) is use the overhead lights and while your holding it use the "[" key to shrink it. On new/starter houses I tend to use the cheapest overhead light and shrink it 3 times. They end up being small enough that I don't really notice them.

I can't remember offhand if you need to turn on testingcheats for either of those or not.
    Post edited by OriginalName on
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    You could try using the move objects cheat and "stacking" lights, so that it looks as if there is just one light. It will make the area brighter each time you place a light.

Brilliant idea! I didn't know you could to that. Thanks.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    You could use the bb.showhiddenobjects command for the invisible lights.

I didn't know there were invisible lights. Thanks for the tip. (Also, your screenname is awesome.)

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @OriginalName, you do not need to have testingcheats on to shrink or grow objects when placing. You also don't need to hold down shift when pressing [ or ]. I never do. I totally agree with you regarding the invisible lights, btw...never use them for that reason.

I just super-shrink the simple, round ceiling light and put it everywhere I want things brighter. Shrunk down, like you said, you don't really ever notice the fixture except in build mode, and even then have to angle the camera straight down and kind of hunt for them.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    You could use the bb.showhiddenobjects command for the invisible lights.

I didn't know there were invisible lights. Thanks for the tip. (Also, your screenname is awesome.)

Thanks. The screenname actually came about because I tried to come up with a name for this forum for way too long, and every name was already taken :D
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @OriginalName, you do not need to have testingcheats on to shrink or grow objects when placing. You also don't need to hold down shift when pressing [ or ]. I never do. I totally agree with you regarding the invisible lights, btw...never use them for that reason.

I just super-shrink the simple, round ceiling light and put it everywhere I want things brighter. Shrunk down, like you said, you don't really ever notice the fixture except in build mode, and even then have to angle the camera straight down and kind of hunt for them.

Yup, just tried shrinking and growing stuff with "[" and "]", don't know why I thought you had to hold down the shift key. Thanks for the tip :)

• Options
    Wow guys I didn’t expect a many comments. Thank you all
  • Options
    Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    first of all, if it's encouraged it might become a trend, secondly i see no reasons we should buy two dlcs just to enjoy a feature that should have been included in only one. Its like buying a brand new car without its engine first, then an engine later just so to be able to drive it and enjoy it's full benefits. It'll be cheating on the consumer's part please. No no
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2018
    Maybe turn up the intensity in the lights - perhaps that will help.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    BilmoBlampkinsBilmoBlampkins Posts: 226 Member
    aRe yOu uSiNg aNy mOdS????
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Oh, I thought this topic had to do with seasons, as in lightning not causing deaths. You may wish to change the spelling to lighting. Lightning with the 'n' is the electric bolt that strikes during a thunderstorm. So confusing.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Oh, I thought this topic had to do with seasons, as in lightning not causing deaths. You may wish to change the spelling to lighting. Lightning with the 'n' is the electric bolt that strikes during a thunderstorm. So confusing.

oh, unfortunately i'm not an English Speaker.. so so forgive me :)
  • Options

Done :)
  • Options
    silver_songbirdsilver_songbird Posts: 305 Member
    Shira3000 wrote: »

oh, unfortunately i'm not an English Speaker.. so so forgive me :)

don't worry about it man - english is a hard language and learning a second language can be difficult in itself. had you not said that, I'd have no idea tbh. speaking is one thing, typing and spelling is another.