Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Unknown Error"

Hi, I know this question has probably been asked a bazillion times.

I have The Sims 3 and nearly every expansion pack from when I had a PC. I decided to install all of them, and alas, I get the "unknown error." I found a few videos with instructions, so I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the base game. I still can't launch it with just the base game.

I haven't been able to find anything here on my specs. I saw something about an Iris Pro. I don't know much about computers.

I'm just wondering if it will ever be possible to play TS3 on my Mac. If so, how do I fix this error?

Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro 15", 2017
Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB - Intel HD Graphics 360 1536 MB

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited November 2018
    I play TS3 on exactly the same computer you have, although I gave up playing in mac OS months ago. (I partitioned my hard drive and installed Windows 10 on one side, otherwise known as Bootcamping.) The game did run on the mac side though; the unknown error issues were pretty easy to fix. I will say that with most packs installed, you're going to have a lot of trouble keeping under the RAM limit. In mac OS, TS3 can only use 2 GB of memory at a time, unlike the ~3.7 GB it has available on the Windows side. A game with most packs installed might well be using close to 2 GB RAM just on startup, even if you do everything else possible to keep memory use down.

Having said all that, the first thing to do is a clean uninstall. The remnants of your previously installed packs are probably the cause of your current unknown error issues. After that, you can reinstall just the base game, run the Super Patch (digital download version), and try to launch. If you still get an unknown error, do another clean uninstall, create a new user with admin rights, and install on that account.

Bluebellflora wrote a very helpful guide to installing TS3 in mac OS. With your AMD graphics card, you won't need to edit the .sgr files, but the rest does apply. Steps four and five in particular will take care of the unknown error messages you saw when you first installed packs.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/6984929#M13578
  • Options
    hugsfromhannahhugsfromhannah Posts: 152 Member
    How do I do a "clean" uninstall?
  • Options
    It's in Bluebellflora's guide linked above, but here's her blog post about it:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your help! Although, I have another issue.

I am no longer getting the "unknown error," and I haven't installed my expansion packs yet. However, when I launch the game, it gets stuck on a blue plumbob screen for about a minute. There are two plumbobs in my dock. I then get a message saying: "There is a problem connecting to the server. Please ensure your internet connection is active. If the problem persists please try again later."

I tried bypassing the launcher and it didn't do anything. Do you have any ideas?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Right, the connection error issue. You can fix it, or you can install any pack besides World Adventures or HELS, and it will fix itself. (To clarify: These packs are fine to install, but they won't help with the connection error.) Since you're not seeing any unknown error messages, you're good to start adding your packs. But if you want to get the base game running first, just to be extra thorough, here's how:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Sims-3-quot-There-is-a-problem-connecting-to-the-server-quot/m-p/7113494#M14618
  • Options
    You
    Are
    A
    Hero
    <3