Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The emotion system, was it worth it Simmers?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Emotions could be worth it for me if they work like they should and not over emphasized like they are now. Emotions in Sims 4 working as intended is not an guarantee apparently, so for me no.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    To me, it seems pointless for sims to have traits that cause certain moods when moods can be selected immediately with the use of certain objects.
  • Options
    gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    I actually like having emotions! I feel like we were lacking something like this in previous titles.
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I'd also like the possibility to have a trait that dulls all the emotions for certain sims.. making them more stoic overall.

I would LOVE a reward trait "Hard to impress" that would make a Sim immune to environmental buffs. I think that would go a long way to making a Sim more even-tempered.

Oh my heck, YES PLEASE!
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    As is, it isn't worth it.

Emotions are the biggest cop-out for meaningful gameplay.

Memories in sims 2 worked just as well, if not better, to give sims emotion. Plus, we had enemies, one sided relationships and better reactions. Emotions just seemed better handled, unlike in Sims 4 where we supposedly have 'actual emotions'.

Too much emphasis is on moodlets. Traits just end up affecting emotion, rather than having any visible impact. I'm left to read what my sims are thinking & feeling rather than seeing it. It's taken away from any individuality, what's the difference between a genius sim and a focused sim? Almost nothing.

Not to mention that the environment moodlet is so strong it overrides a bunch of things that are more important. "Your mother died? That's sad, but her urn really does compliment the wallpaper..."

I like emotions, but not while it's being used as a substitute for everything above.
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I feel that with my game if I’m playing out a scenario, most of the time the sims don’t have appropriate or normal reactions. For example I had a sim that cheated on his wife, in fact he had a whole second family and one of his children saw his father kissing and being romantic with the other woman. Now of course a normal reaction for a child would be you would think confusion, upset, anger- perhaps a combination of three. The child didn’t care. He just continued watching them oblivious to the whole thing.
    Playing the same scenario from another’s perspective, this time of the wife, she very briefly got an angry moodlet when she caught them together but the angry moodlet was buried in happy moodlets. She would happily talk to the “other woman” and would initiate friend,u conversations, jokes, hugs, you name it!

As I was blogging at the time, I found it very immersion breaking to have to make the above sims referenced care. I shouldn’t have to get sims angry so I can pretend for the sake of the
    Story that my sims gave a toss. I resented having to force the wife in my scenario and the child to be mean or even hostile to the other woman. I just kept thinking I should not have to make them care. When I looked at my screen shots and realised that if the sims were showing the appropriate emotion I.e anger or sadness it was nothing to do with the situation. It was forced. That was one of the reasons I gave up blogging the sims 4, my stories felt fake and in a way misleading to me and all I kept thinking was if they don’t care why should I?

100% Agree. The reactions this time around are non-occurrences. I hate that affairs garner barely any reaction by anyone, and are forgotten in minutes. It's like the inclusion of emotions, got rid of them.
  • Options
    joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2018
    I really enjoy having emotions in the game. It makes gameplay more interesting. Emotions can be a pain at times, but I wouldn’t want them to be taken away because I want my sims to have feelings. When I had two sims divorce, the ex-husband cried for days mourning the end of his marriage. I love the happiness sims feel when they make a new friend or start dating someone, and the confidence they feel when completing a task. I also don’t mind the random angry sims I see stomping around the neighborhood. It cracks me up.

Once I didn’t realize my sims’ newborn was crying. She was upstairs and the rest of the family was downstairs. I only noticed seconds before social services took her away. Whoopsy! The parents were devastated. Even their other child was heartbroken. It was so sad, but I liked that they actually cared that their baby was gone. (Btw, I exited the game without saving so they could get their baby back. 😁)

Once my twin teens invited their teen cousin over after school. He was bored and uninterested in everything the whole visit. I thought, okay, he’s a teenager. Whatever. But then I had a birthday party for a different sim when I aged her to a teen. Her friend came over in a sad mood. My sim kept trying to cheer her up, but her friend cried dramatically during the entire party. Now this I did not like. It was way over the top. Then in another situation, the same sim who’d just aged up to a teen went on a date. She, too, cried the whole time and ruined the date. I’d had enough. This was my first time playing with teens and I didn’t know why they were crying so much. I found out it was because their emotional control was low. So I ended up cheating this value on all my teen sims.

So, yeah, I guess I don’t care for all of the emotions, but that’s what cheats are for. 😃