Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Other Games Like The Sims

I love the sims but sometimes I want to switch it up. Does anyone know of games like the sims, like living as a person in world. Because if so comment down below.

Comments

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    There's nothing that comes close to the sims. There's things like second life, but I found that atrocious. But some games that have that single player aspect with some customization would be...

IMVU
    Animal Crossing
    Tomodachi Life (not too much control in it)
    Second Life

Most seem to be online games to mobile ones or on handhelds. Depends on your preference?
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    ArmoireArmoire Posts: 14 New Member
    Stardew Valley is the first thing that comes to mind, has farming, house decorating, relationships, etc.
  • Options
    And also Crusader Kings II revolves around traits, genetics, and lineage, but was too complex and strategy-focused for me.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @LadyKyn I agree with you about Second Life. I checked that out largely due to my love of sim-like games. SL is such a good concept, but sadly, not very user friendly and not well managed, so it has been largely abandoned by normal people and is used mostly for sexual role play, much of it violent. Plus I met a lot of predatory characters in there. Generally not a good place to hang out anymore, although I think it probably was years ago when it first came out.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    simmysimsim123simmysimsim123 Posts: 43 Member
    I guess it depends on how closely you want the game to resemble the Sims. So far I haven't found anything extremely close which is why IMO The Sims is such a beast in the gaming community.
    There are games out there like Second Life that are life simulators but it's not very close to The Sims.
    There are also games like Fallout 4 that allow features like creating a character's look, building a house, and romancing companions but it's not a life simulator, thus it is very "limited" when viewed in that perspective.
    I would love to find another life simulator too though so good luck :)
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited November 2018
    Depends on whether you're talking about gameplay, building, or graphics... There really aren't many like The Sims though.

I personally love simulation games, even if they don't involve specific characters, such as SimCity, RollerCoaster Tycoon, Cities: Skylines, Theme Hospital (planning to eventually play the new Two Point Hospital), etc.

Then there are games such as GTA series, Assassin's Creed, and a whole bunch of other ones, many of which I've never played (Red Dead Redemption etc.) that if you want the open world aspect there are plenty to choose from.

I was involved with Second Life for a quite while, but that's not really a game, it's an "environment" - you can create an avatar and meet people and build and "live" in a virtual world. But it's rather overwhelming and unless you have a ton of time and some money to sink into it, I really wouldn't point people towards that. Haven't "played" it in a long time so don't know how it is now.

Stardew Valley is fun - the main focus is on farming but there are other aspects to it. RimWorld is an amazing, sort of a "sims stranded on a distant planet" game with super-simple top-down 2D graphics but tons of strategy and depth, and the characters have impactful traits. But very dark themes and complicated to get into, not a casual game IMHO.

Finally, if you're more into building, there is "House Flipper" which is a game where you take an old delapidated house and fix it up and "flip" it. Fun for a handful of hours, but to be honest, building in Sims is more fun for me.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    GTA Online does that "living as a person in world" thing pretty well.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I'm the same way, I like the people simulation aspect of Sims 4 and don't care for the building part. Unfortunately, Sims 4 is unlike any other game in that regard. Also, I'm not a long time gamer and had no previous experience with PC games prior to Sims 4.

So, after some research and trial and error I have found the below:

On mobile, there is sims free play and sims mobile, of course, I also played virtual families and virtual villagers from Last Day of Work, LLC

On PC, I have played the other versions of Sims, both 2 and 3, plus the game My Tribe, and although they are not actual sim games, I have found these have the character play I craved:
    Dragon Age Origins, maybe the best RPG of all time, with top notch voice acting
    Thea: The Awakening, a fun replayable Indy game
    Knights of the Old Republic, star wars RPG, perhaps this is the best RPG's ever? PC and mobile
    Crusader Kings 2, a grand strategy game, but you play as a family dynasty and so there is a focus on that aspect instead of nation building
    Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadville, zombie survival populated with fun quirky characters, PC and mobile both
    The Walking Dead, telltale games, which, unless you never did a web search, is an interactive story format

I just got Rimworld, so can't comment on it as yet, but it looks promising. Since Sims 4 was the first digital based game I spent any time playing, all the PC and mobile games that were available was quite overwhelming, so the above represents hours of web searching and game testing, so I hope it helps!
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    There was an oooold game called Singles if I'm not mistaken. It was more focused in dating. It was much more limited than the sims, but it's the only game I remember that comes somewhat close to what the sims is.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Oops, I forgot one, Kudos 2, worth a few hours.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,412 Member
    edited November 2018
    This could be a long shot (depends which aspects of sims you enjoy), but my second favourite game is The Long Dark which is a survival simulation. I have mostly played the sandbox mode. There are neither relationships nor building, but for a sim player looking after the character's hunger, thirst, temperature and energy meter feels quite familiar. The difficulty settings are fully customisable from how easily you find food/items to how aggressively the wild life behaves. The game takes place in wintery Canada after a mysterious global disaster. My profile picture is taken there on a lake next to a fishing hut.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • Options
    lydiaofmemeteamlydiaofmemeteam Posts: 32 Member
    Something I thought may be kind of close to The Sims is Virtual Villagers or Virtual Families by Last Day of Work. It's kind of close in terms of simulation and managing needs and skill building but there's little to no customization to my knowledge. If you're looking for a text-based sort of game that focuses on storytelling based around a single character, Alter Ego is an interesting one as well.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Armoire wrote: »
    And also Crusader Kings II revolves around traits, genetics, and lineage, but was too complex and strategy-focused for me.

Yeah, I adore CK2 but it's a whole other thing. You have to dedicate a lot of time to just watching YouTube tutorials before you can play properly. I watched about six hours worth before I even dipped my toes in.
  • Options
    NimieNimie Posts: 206 Member
    Armoire wrote: »

Crusaders Kings II is horrible, I played a few months ago but I never learned how to play it hahaha
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,358 Member
    Two older and less known games you might want to try: The Guild and The Guild 2 share aspects with The Sims. In The Guild you hover over the action, but The Guild 2 gives you an avatar to walk around town.

You start as a single character in the late medieval/early modern times with one factory of your choice. This can be a tavern, perfumery, smithy, stonemasonry, carpentry, church or even a thieves guild and the city watch house. Your goals are to advance through the ranks in your city, using different means of influencing the other office holders (bribary being the classic) and to find a partner to hopefully have many children. Each child inherits a fraction of your skills (crafting, haggling, dueling and clandestine stuff) that can further be raised by gifting toys and sending them to school/university. Children can learn different occupations, but retain their parents' masteries, too. So a long running dynasty may own all types of craftshops available in the game.

The family aspect is fun, but primarily the game is about crafting items, carting them to the market and upgrading your workshop to craft more and better items. Almost all items can also be used by your main character.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I love the sims but sometimes I want to switch it up. Does anyone know of games like the sims, like living as a person in world. Because if so comment down below.

I'm with you on that. We need an adult version of this game. I don't mean anything, well you know, I mean being able to do simple things like you would even see on tv, no silly pee walks.
  • Options
    > @So_Money said:
    > Yeah, I adore CK2 but it's a whole other thing. You have to dedicate a lot of time to just watching YouTube tutorials before you can play properly. I watched about six hours worth before I even dipped my toes in.
    Yeah, it's pretty brutal in that regard. Not intuitive at all. Even having had played Civilization games since I was a kid, I still found the learning curve of CK2 to be extremely demanding. It was right about when I surpassed that hump and started winning that I lost interest and just went back to Sims, haha. It seems like a really cool game though for those with the patience for it.

Another game I can think of a bit like the Sims is Fallout 4, specifically the settlement system. There's lots of freedom to build, especially with the addition of mods, and you can assign settlers specific tasks like farming, defending, or running a shop, a bit like controlling sims. You can also dress and equip them just as you would your own character. It is really simple in comparison, but it's still cool to have that personalized context within an open-world rpg.
  • Options
    LairaLaira Posts: 39 Member
    There aren't any games like the Sims. Maybe you can try something else? I love games like Cities Skylines or the Anno series (Anno 1404 is my favorite).
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    @LadyKyn I agree with you about Second Life. I checked that out largely due to my love of sim-like games. SL is such a good concept, but sadly, not very user friendly and not well managed, so it has been largely abandoned by normal people and is used mostly for sexual role play, much of it violent. Plus I met a lot of predatory characters in there. Generally not a good place to hang out anymore, although I think it probably was years ago when it first came out.

Basically this. I've stayed away from it since it got far worse and same with IMVU, but people are willing to fork over money for these game. It's just really not a safe place and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as first time I played IMVU nothing but personal questions asked.

Yeah it did have a good concept for SL. but it attracted a certain type a crowd and creep factor. Feels like this is what tinder would be but simulated. :|

I agree with the above starred valley is very good, but still nothing like a sims game.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    IIRC there were a few pretenders about a decade ago. Playboy: The Mansion was one, but it was an awful game.