Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    @SheriGR @QueenMercy Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot to mention splicing/grafting in my reply above! Such a pain. I have four spliced plants and I've been waiting for orchids for months (irl. Sim time it's been 3 weeks) in vain vain hopes that somehow they'll appear even though I know it's nearly impossible. Grafting was so fun for me and I don't want to spend $1000 on new seeds to try and get stuff, like you guys said. Especially since I'm doing a legacy. Money is tight sometimes. Also @ChelleJo your comment was super helpful; I had no idea they purposefully made it that hard. Mystifying.

@luxsylvan Yaaaa.... the orchid won't come. If you want any particular plants let me know and I'll upload a room with them in my gallery, if you want.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    so THAT'S what's going on -- I guess I should read patch notes. I have orchids, but they are taking forever to evolve, so I spiced one to a perfect plant and have not gotten a single perfect orchid. But are plants now growing when we're off lot? If that's the case, I like that change as it means I can actually go off the lot and not be penalized. But a good way to do that would be to have them go to their last "update" as soon as you enter the lot. That way, you still can tend to them and not worry about them dying.

Or am I misunderstanding the change? Off to try to figure it out.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    so THAT'S what's going on -- I guess I should read patch notes. I have orchids, but they are taking forever to evolve, so I spiced one to a perfect plant and have not gotten a single perfect orchid. But are plants now growing when we're off lot? If that's the case, I like that change as it means I can actually go off the lot and not be penalized. But a good way to do that would be to have them go to their last "update" as soon as you enter the lot. That way, you still can tend to them and not worry about them dying.

I think it means that plants won’t grow if you’re not there. After the first harvest, the ones at the science lab will never do anything.

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »

I think it means that plants won’t grow if you’re not there. After the first harvest, the ones at the science lab will never do anything.

Yeah, if that's the case, it's a problem. If it means that you can leave your lot and the plants will still update if you're on the lot at the particular time, it's a good change, but it sounds like it needs refining. The problem I had with gardening before was that you were penalized for leaving your lot. Your plants wouldn't grow while you were gone, so if you made your living that way, you just stayed on the lot.

How it should be refined, though, is to update the plants either at the set time OR when you enter the lot if it is after that time. It shouldn't be too hard to code. So, if you're on the lot at 7am (or whatever time it updates), they do their growth thing. However, if you don't enter the lot until 9am, it should update then. It should be possible to code it so they can only update once a day (or however many times a day they update). That would allow the science career plants to update properly, and the park plants to update properly, and still not penalize people for leaving their lots.
  • Options
    TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    I agree that the gardening system has broken the science career just a little. It hasn't made the career unplayable or anything. It's just a little annoying to have to purchase and/or grow the plants at your house to have the things you need to make serums. I feel like the overall benefits of the new system are a much needed improvement over the previous system, though. My sim doesn't have to work his/her job all day and then come home to garden until bedtime to maintain the plants. That's a huge plus for me. As for seniors not having anything to do, I usually just get them a couple different hobbies besides gardening to keep them busy if they're retired. For the most part, retired sims in my game work from home writing or painting and take full advantage of the club system to keep themselves occupied.

If you've been paying attention to what people have been asking for in TS4, you'd know that the suggestions have been all over the place. At the end of day, EA/Maxis has to go with what they think people will want to buy. I feel like a celebrity system is a lot easier to implement from a programming stand point than a whole new educational system so I'm not surprised that EA/Maxis chose to go in that direction to give us something before the end of the year. Whether we ever get a University EP or not comes down to the remaining life cycle of this game and the development of TS5.

As for the "Lame YouTubers" comment, it just makes you sound like a bitter Betty when you talk like that. Keep giving your feedback about the game in a nice way and they're bound to listen. Act like a rude, bitter, and petty person and your opinion will just be dismissed. Always think constructive criticism first.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    (As for the "Lame YouTubers" comment, it just makes you sound like a bitter Betty when you talk like that. Keep giving your feedback about the game in a nice way and they're bound to listen. Act like a rude, bitter, and petty person and your opinion will just be dismissed. Always think constructive criticism first.)

Ah but you see I used to love to sit down with a bowl of popcorn and watch you tube simmers. They all did a wonderful job of bringing joy and great things to the game. Now, it is just a job and they are "lame". Watch Yammy's 100 baby challenge and then hop over to oh, say, Koffee and note the BIG difference. And I used to LOVE Koffee. My favs were Yasmine, Chloe, Jen, Kayla, James, Laura, April and Miramouse. So you see my criticism comes from what they were when they actually were entertaining to what they are now and it makes me cringe.

Also, my opinion is just that, mine. Not yours and obviously not said the same way. I rarely sugar coat.
  • Options
    @CalebFillion I am very sorry you're not all-in with this new EP coming next month. But, I, for one, am very excited about it. And while I don't really know who Ariel is, per se, I also don't 'keep up' with that much these days. I do know gardening has changed, and whereas my planter had to tend his 'crops' daily, lest they die, he now has time for other things. Like talk to the trees, plants, et al, spend time with his family.

I am finding EA has listened in many ways. We got toddlers, for starters and they are the best toddlers we have ever had. I had mods in my game to try to achieve a singing career in my game for one of my Sims, in particular. I've been very vocal about it. And, yes, university would be a nice addition. I just hope they can improve on it, like they did in Sims3, even though it still got old really fast.

It is hard when an aspect of a game is altered to the point you just don't enjoy it anymore. I respect your opinion and I thank you for allowing me to voice mine. (Another older player.)

I really am not and after watching it a few more times, listening to Molly (English Simmer) for those who dont know who they are, and a few others I am not real sure it is going to add much to the game. I will wait until it officially comes out and someone I know and trust plays it through to make a decision on whether to buy it or not though.

We did get toddlers years after complaining and yes they are by far the very best of the toddlers we have had. I was so excited over that I nearly fell off my seat. And I am loving seasons. I know some people don't. I do own all but one ep, gp and sp. You can probably figure out which one did not make the cut with me, lol.

I play with a few mods but not a celebrity one. I have heard that the guy who did the celebrity mod is now either talking to or working with ea to improve his when theirs becomes live. Don't quote me but you could go and listen to Mollys take on it because I am pretty sure she is the one who talks about it.

Like you I hope Uni is vastly improved. Much more than Jungle adventure. I think that was a step down. Now vampires! Do not get me going on that one, I adore it!

As for all of us, happy simming!

• Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I was under the impression that the guy who made the fame mod is talking with the part of the team that deals with the modding community because the patch is going to break script mods.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I can honestly say I hated gardening before the patch. It took so long to do anything that only my vampire could be a gardener.

I love that the plants work with different seasons instead of everything hibernating in winter.

I for one have been waiting for a pack like this since I never got a chance to play the sims 1 fame expansions.

Also, some packs take more time to develop and get right than others. I believe university might be next and definitely some supernatural pack.
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    @SheriGR thanks so much! I actually just went back to that household and used showhiddenobjects to get an orchid because I couldn't take it anymore (and a tulip, because I deserved them for waiting fruitlessly, or flowerlessly, as the case may be) 😂 but your offer is appreciated 😊

@Felicity you brought up another thing that I've found hard too, that plants don't grow when you leave the lot. All my gardeners are sad hermits because I value their gardens more than their happiness 😂
  • Options
    DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    I like the changes to gardening (with a few exceptions that I can overlook), and the fame pack is the thing I have been waiting for most (aside from vampires). Having said that though, I would love to have a pack entirely focused around elders and things for them to do. The elder life stage seems a little lackluster to me, and I would love to see more activities, clothing, items, community lots, etc geared toward things that elders could be/do.

I really hope the next pack is something you do enjoy, though! I also do find the lack of customization for different play styles to be more than a little frustrating. You should be able to play the way you want, and I should be able to play the way I want all in the same system. It's why I am a big advocate for toggles and "sliding scale" type options.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • Options
    SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    @luxsylvan You go, girl! ;)
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • Options
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the guy who made the fame mod is talking with the part of the team that deals with the modding community because the patch is going to break script mods.

Yep it is confirmed that this will break ALL script mods. The You tuber who does the Sims Community has sent a shout out to all the modders who have script mods to be ready to update. EA is changing python so we will all need to hang tight for a few weeks I suppose.