Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As an Expansion Pack, does "Get Famous" look overpriced?

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    I think it's too early to tell if it's overpriced or not. We still don't know how detailed this pack is gonna be. To me so far, it seems kinda like in between an EP and GP. So, maybe just slightly overpriced by about $10, let's say.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    dsefdsef Posts: 1,219 Member
    Yes, Get Famous currently looks overpriced
    I would pay £25 but certainly not £35, we're not rich EA
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Too early to tell.

I’m disappointed at lack of a modeling career, though. I’ll have to see if the movie content and fame system is enough for me to pay the full price. (I think it will. I’ve bought most of the packs at full price. I don’t regret getting Seasons at full price.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    No, Get Famous does not look overpriced
    The gurus have said that there is too much content to fit in a game pack so I think it will be worth it. Besides Christmas is coming up so the pack will probably on sale.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    We've only seen a little over a minute of content. There's enough information for me to get incredibly interested in the game, but not enough to say "this isnt worth $40!" Who here has some insider knowledge they'd like to share regarding the EP's content? How does the fame system work exactly? Are there any new careers introduced beyond acting? Can unemployed sims still be famous if they are really good at singing karaoke or playing the piano? Can I make sims perform at a stage lot for their fans? And on that note, is there a lot type that will allow for live performances? Can celebrity scandals be a thing? Will there be a sort of "celebrity gossip" channel on tv?

The most we can do is take the information available to us and speculate. And when it does come out and you still think it isnt worth $40, the good news is that Black Friday and Cyber Monday are a week after release and I'll bet anything it'll be on sale in time for the holiday shopping season. I'll probably get it then, since I still have yet to buy an EP full price.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Since the question asked us to respond according to the little bit of information we have right now, I will say that, yes, as I see it from the one minute trailer and tidbits of description, it's overpriced as an expansion pack.

So far it looks like a game pack with a full sized world. If it's true that the main focus is only on one or two careers, that just doesn't seem like enough to warrant being an expansion pack. I understand that the fame system can be used with the other careers too, as it should, but there also should most certainly be more that's new in it to "expand" on this overall theme of the game, like Sim bands and new instruments and such. An expansion pack should never feel like it has left gaps to fill with another pack. In the past games, most of the expansions felt like they offered a lot of possibilities, with themes that felt complete and well-rounded. Including a new world does not do enough to fill those gaps when, in the long run, we players are spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars for our game to be complete.

Now that I've answered, I will add that I do think it's too soon to pass full judgement. We haven't seen what the fame system actually does, or what else is included in the pack. We have a whole month to find out what else is being offered. And, even though this particular theme isn't to my liking, I might change my mind on its value.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I'm actually in the "I don't have enough information to evaluate" camp, but based on what I've heard so far, I think the impact on gameplay could be far-reaching, so it doesn't look overpriced to me.

I recall with previous teasers even Seasons they didn't show right away that you could customize calendar and create/customize your own holidays. To me this aspect of Seasons was as game-changing as the actual weather. Likewise, I have a feeling there's more to the fame/reputation system and it's probably pretty in-depth. I love that all careers have the opportunity to be touched by fame, it makes a lot more sense.

So far, this EP appears to have as much as Get Together - a potentially game changing system (fame), a fully-sized new world, as well as the active career which looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to learning more!
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Since the question asked us to respond according to the little bit of information we have right now, I will say that, yes, as I see it from the one minute trailer and tidbits of description, it's overpriced as an expansion pack.

So far it looks like a game pack with a full sized world. If it's true that the main focus is only on one or two careers, that just doesn't seem like enough to warrant being an expansion pack. I understand that the fame system can be used with the other careers too, as it should, but there also should most certainly be more that's new in it to "expand" on this overall theme of the game, like Sim bands and new instruments and such. An expansion pack should never feel like it has left gaps to fill with another pack. In the past games, most of the expansions felt like they offered a lot of possibilities, with themes that felt complete and well-rounded. Including a new world does not do enough to fill those gaps when, in the long run, we players are spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars for our game to be complete.

Now that I've answered, I will add that I do think it's too soon to pass full judgement. We haven't seen what the fame system actually does, or what else is included in the pack. We have a whole month to find out what else is being offered. And, even though this particular theme isn't to my liking, I might change my mind on its value.

Completely agree with this ^^
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Were getting a new world and multiple ways to pursue fame.
    The Actor career comes off as having more depth to me than Get To Work careers.
    Overall it seems bigger than a Game Pack.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    What's the purpose here?

I do find it odd to make sweeping judgements on a teaser thats sole purpose is to TEASE and make you want to know more.
    Of course it looks light if it's not showing you everything.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2018
    We don't even have singing or modeling careers, they're both related to superstardom other than acting. Seems like we get only one legit career and I can see that getting very old. I hope it's detailed enough for the asking price because I want more gameplay not just pretty stuff to put on my sims or in my sims' homes.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    None of the packs are worth $40 period. I made a thread on this when Seasons came out I think. Honestly, I think a thread like this comes up every time a new pack is released lol so that should tell you something.

That’s because the OP is the one who keeps making these posts :| They’re so pointless because whether we feel it’s overpriced or not, they’re not gonna change the price after it’s announced.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    I think every Expansion Pack is overpriced...well in the UK anyway.
  • Options
    ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    From just what we know so far, I'm going to say that it does look more like a big GP than a full EP. My measure is that an EP should have features that can apply to a broad segment of the population, while GPs are a much more focused experience. "Pet owners" are more broadly applicable than "vampires". Celebrities have always struck me as more towards the niche end of the scale.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong, and that there are extra systems that are more engaging without turning everybody into a celebrity or celebrity worshiper. My biggest worry, though, is that the GF blurb only mentions fame, the acting career, the new world, and the glitzy new objects. The GT teaser blurb at least mentioned clubs, and the Seasons blurb mentions holidays. I expect a lot of depth to the fame system. But it's still ultimately a case where if too many sims are involved, it becomes meaningless.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    People who voted "No", may you iterate? Currently, what's diffirentiating it from a normal game pack is a normal-sized world which doesn't justify the extra $20 slapped on the product. I am getting it either-way since sales are often 2 weeks after launch :P but can't justify spending $40.

Movie sets and a reputation system aren't that impressive. More complex systems have been introduced in game packs such as Parenthood & Dine Out.
    • New world
    • New career
    • Expansion of current careers (any career can lead to Fame if you choose)
    • (Assumed) New Acting skill (?)
    • New objects to tie in with Fame pursuit or as potential benefits/rewards (yet to be revealed)
    • New build/buy and CASsets
    • Two new systems (Fame and Reputation) that could affect how Sims relate to one another.

Yes, we got new systems in Parenthood and Dine Out, but neither of them included a new world or a new career. We didn't even get a new career with Get Together, just a new profession where you can freelance as a DJ. When you look at the combination of features, the content definitely is worthy of an EP price. Above all, this pack truly does actually expand the base game gameplay, by adding the potential of fame to all the base careers.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    Am I offended at this price, no. Will I wait for it to go on sale, yes. Only because I don't feel comfortable spending more than $20 a month on games for myself.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Currently, from what I've seen in this trailer, I'd say yes it looks overpriced. There appears to only be 1 career, the fame system and a new world, which doesn't feel worth $40. However, if the acting career is really complex, has multiple branches and gives you a lot of creative control, then perhaps no it would not seem overpriced. We will have to wait and see.

If you base the decision on just the trailer, sure we only "get one career". But if you read the other information coming out, and see that any career can lead to fame, then it makes a lot more sense financially. It breathes new life into old careers like Entertainer that felt pointless before; maybe you play it once just to say you did it but now there's an added incentive if you choose. You could play Johnny Zest and help him get that big break he's been looking for. I'm actually more interested in how fame is implemented with the existing careers than I am the Acting career; active careers have been problematic for me when my Sims have a spouse and family. It's important to look at the big picture and not set your preconceptions in stone based on a single trailer.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    It takes a lot to make a game. Think of it this way: If you were a programmer who worked on this pack for many hours, would you think it's overpriced? I want to become a Sim Guru in the future, so I feel like it would be wrong to add even more hate on. There was hate for My First Pet Stuff (still my favorite stuff pack) AND for the new update announced. I mean, I admit I probably won't play the fashion career much or use the terrain tools, but Sim Gurus worked hard on those new gameplay features. When deciding if it's overpriced, don't think about the amount of content, but rather about the amount of time the programmers put into it. We have to keep them paid, right?
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I don't know. I think once second trailer comes out I can pick a side but right now I think it's much too early to tell.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Isn't Get Famous and EP?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    It takes a lot to make a game. Think of it this way: If you were a programmer who worked on this pack for many hours, would you think it's overpriced? I want to become a Sim Guru in the future, so I feel like it would be wrong to add even more hate on. There was hate for My First Pet Stuff (still my favorite stuff pack) AND for the new update announced. I mean, I admit I probably won't play the fashion career much or use the terrain tools, but Sim Gurus worked hard on those new gameplay features. When deciding if it's overpriced, don't think about the amount of content, but rather about the amount of time the programmers put into it. We have to keep them paid, right?

People worked really hard to make Star Wars Battlefront. That game still rightfully deserves to be an object of mockery.

I'm okay with the current direction that the sims team is taking the game, where they aim to create a smaller number of incredibly versatile tools over packs that throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Which leads to the ultimate question. Once the shine has worn off and we're done with our celebrity sims, how many of the additions will remain relevant.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    At the moment yes. But maybe in the next trailer it will show more or the live stream will show more.
    *Clutches straws*
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »

People worked really hard to make Star Wars Battlefront. That game still rightfully deserves to be an object of mockery.

I'm okay with the current direction that the sims team is taking the game, where they aim to create a smaller number of incredibly versatile tools over packs that throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Which leads to the ultimate question. Once the shine has worn off and we're done with our celebrity sims, how many of the additions will remain relevant.

I will never understand this type of statement. Mockery? Why? Did you play it.. were you invested in it? Why do you want to even mock it if you don't like it? Do you understand some players might like it? Frankly I've never played this game... I have no clue if it's good or bad. I just don't think it's the type of game I'd like to play. I just for the life of me why people have to mock something they don't like. Does it do something good for you?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @ScarletSimEater I guess it depends on who you ask. The EPs I consistently use are:
    Get Together (Windenburg and new lot types)
    Cats and Dogs (Brindleton Bay, the furniture, and the occasional pet)
    Seasons (Almost everything)
    I sometimes use GTW for the aliens or retail stores, but rarely. However, I know that a lot of people still use the active careers. I sometimes use City Living for the festivals and work-from-home professions, but I hardly ever use apartments. Then again, a lot of people still have sims live in the city.
    And now, here's a list of things I like that most people don't like:
    *MFP Stuff
    *The Emoji Movie
    *Teen Titans Go
    *Johnny Johnny Yes Papa
    *TS4 in general
    *The new message notifications update on Wattpad
    I've also heard Smallfoot is getting some hate, but I like that movie so much, I've already seen it twice!
    What I'm trying to say is, even if you don't like it, there will probably be at least some people who do.
  • Options
    I really, really don't want to turn this into a debate as to what's objectively trash or not. That sort of discussion is never fruitful. I'll just repeat that lots of people working hard on a thing does not necessarily make it good or worth my while.

Also, I'll repeat my main point. From what we know now, this seems closer to GP levels of applicability than full EP levels. I openly admit that we're running on very limited information here, and I'll be happy to change my tune if some new piece of information changes that expectation.