Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death in Legacies

ElanoreAlexandriaElanoreAlexandria Posts: 66 Member
Hello, everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read this! Also, my question is in the last paragraph for those who want the quick version.

I've been continuing at a snail's pace with my legacy. On the downside, my founding couple currently lives in an igloo. But on the positive side, I found a cc pet house that looks like an igloo for their two pets. This makes their dwelling look like a cute little winter village. Plus my sims both finally got their dream jobs and they graduated from Sim University. I even managed to fill up an entire notebook with their university adventures!

So as they save up their simoleons and visit the junkyard for furniture, I find myself considering their future (way, way, in the future) home. In addition to the actual house, I like the idea of a sprawling estate with a stables, a greenhouse and a granny suite. This would be a small cottage just for the elderly generation preceding the current one. I want to stick a secret hot tub in it too! I want my sims to build this home in a piecemeal fashion, adding onto it as the generations go by. Therefore, I think it would be an intelligent course of action to make a floor plan of this so that I don't find myself frustrated at having done something wrong much later in the game.

And now for the topic of my question! I have very little experience with death in the game because I'd never been able to stick with a game long enough. I did have one sim die from old age, and all her possessions went to her daughter. I'd left the tombstone in the backyard because I like the idea of an old family home with history and a family graveyard. I also like the randomness of ghosts popping in for a visit!

However, this meant I had no place to put this sim's high school diploma and university degree certificates. I don't believe I was able to sell them or anything either. Therefore... I imagine that after a few generations, I'd have a collection of miscellaneous certificates, awards and so on. I could be wrong though! This did happen a while ago. I wouldn't want to just delete this stuff since these are artifacts of a family's legacy. So I was thinking that maybe I could have their urns with items pertinent to that sim displayed.

The only problem is... What do these sort of rooms look like? Basically, what do you all much more experienced legacy simmers do with the tombstones if you keep them on your lot? I would love some suggestions and to see any relevant pictures. Please forgive my ignorance.

Comments

• Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    edited September 2018
    I’m no experienced Simmer by any stretch of the imagination. But I did want to answer your question as to what I do. All my deceased Sims graves go to a custom graveyard that I built. It’s very basic with sidewalks, benches, street lights, trees and other decorations. Since it’s a legacy family, they are all related. In TS2 where I’m playing many different families, I create sections for each family. I’ll do that in TS3 when I stop playing this family.

As for diplomas and awards, I create a large office to put up those special things. The more wealthy my family becomes, the larger the office becomes so more wall space.
    Post edited by Rhiannon58 on
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got a legacy challenge going in Evermore Falls and it's a long way off though the town will need a graveyard soon in case somebody died giving birth or from an accident.I'm also playing the entire town and dying of old age isn't happeing for a long time as they've only been there for a year.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    edited August 2018
    When I started my legacy, I kept the urns of my deceased sims on the lot, but it became quickly pretty annoying, with the ghost waking up the family all the time. So I placed a small lot next to the family lot and built a graveyard with some entertainement for the ghosts. I´m now on generation 10 and had to move to another town several times, because even with overwatch and so on, the saves become laggy after some time. Before I move them, I place all gravestones in one of my sims inventory, and after the move I put them back in the family graveyard (which I build new, because usually there is no convinient small lot next to the big family lot I need). It works pretty well, the ghost of my founder is still active sometimes.
    Sometimes, if I like a sim a lot, their urns stay on the home lot for a while.

The diplomas and stuff I placed on the walls of the second floor of the family home, which is just a big room, because I don´t like several floors and only use the first one. To be perfectly honest, I stopped bothering with it after some generations.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    Hello, everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read this! Also, my question is in the last paragraph for those who want the quick version.

I've been continuing at a snail's pace with my legacy. On the downside, my founding couple currently lives in an igloo. But on the positive side, I found a cc pet house that looks like an igloo for their two pets. This makes their dwelling look like a cute little winter village. Plus my sims both finally got their dream jobs and they graduated from Sim University. I even managed to fill up an entire notebook with their university adventures!

So as they save up their simoleons and visit the junkyard for furniture, I find myself considering their future (way, way, in the future) home. In addition to the actual house, I like the idea of a sprawling estate with a stables, a greenhouse and a granny suite. This would be a small cottage just for the elderly generation preceding the current one. I want to stick a secret hot tub in it too! I want my sims to build this home in a piecemeal fashion, adding onto it as the generations go by. Therefore, I think it would be an intelligent course of action to make a floor plan of this so that I don't find myself frustrated at having done something wrong much later in the game.

And now for the topic of my question! I have very little experience with death in the game because I'd never been able to stick with a game long enough. I did have one sim die from old age, and all her possessions went to her daughter. I'd left the tombstone in the backyard because I like the idea of an old family home with history and a family graveyard. I also like the randomness of ghosts popping in for a visit!

However, this meant I had no place to put this sim's high school diploma and university degree certificates. I don't believe I was able to sell them or anything either. Therefore... I imagine that after a few generations, I'd have a collection of miscellaneous certificates, awards and so on. I could be wrong though! This did happen a while ago. I wouldn't want to just delete this stuff since these are artifacts of a family's legacy. So I was thinking that maybe I could have their urns with items pertinent to that sim displayed.

The only problem is... What do these sort of rooms look like? Basically, what do you all much more experienced legacy simmers do with the tombstones if you keep them on your lot? I would love some suggestions and to see any relevant pictures. Please forgive my ignorance.

I have been playing the Goths for as long as I can remember. All the graves are on the home lot, but it is getting frustrating when the ghosts keeps waking up the households. For the high school diploma and the university degree certificates, I don't bother with them as I don't think that they are really important. None of my legacy has gone to university yet, but I want to! I just need to find a sim that I think would suit it. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I must admit I'm not a big fan of diplomas anymore. I keep one of two and delete/give away the others. If some are relevant for a family in that generation, I keep them until that person dies. After that, I often throw it away. You can also get those WA chests to put them away, too.

Regarding the ghosts, another lot-graveyard is the best idea. I often remove the tombstones without ghosts at the local cemitery to add some of mine, but in general, I don't bother and I let them resting in the mausoleum (if I ever play long enough, actually).
  • Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    You can also get those WA chests to put them away.

What is this chest you speak of? What does it do?
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Rhiannon58 The WA chests are just convenient storage for the stuff that your sims would normally carry around in their personal inventories. They're a good way to keep the clutter down. I personally store my sims' adventuring supplies and loot in there when they're home.

Each location offers a different kind of chest, purchasable at the general store. They're the same chests that your sims open in tombs. In the shot below, from left to right, there are two chests from Egypt, one from France, and one (open) from China. There are also a couple of Chinese vases in the foreground, because they're pretty and there's no point in letting them collect dust in storage.
    rYL71BU.png