Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you look for in downloaded house lots from the gallery?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Louise_WordsworthLouise_Wordsworth Posts: 33 Member
    1) How often do you download houses from the gallery?

I usually build my own starter homes on small lots, and renovate them and style them as I get more money. But when my Sim is rich, I download mansions and manor homes for them to move into (I struggle to build larger homes, especially making the roof/landscaping look good).

2) Is there a particular style e.g traditional, modern, fantasy (like a fairy or alien house) you prefer?

I prefer to match the home to the neighbourhood. So the San Myshuno business district is sleek and modern, and the lots in Willow Creek I look for Victorian or traditional. I don't find many Spanish style homes for Oasis Springs, I never know what to search for, or maybe there aren't many out there. Themed builds are great for restaurants, bowling alleys, etc.

3) How many bedrooms do you usually want in your house?

Starting out, 1-2 bedrooms (2nd one is an office). If there's 2 floors, there should be a bathroom on each floor.

4) Do you avoid lots that use a lot of packs or MOO (move objects on)?

I don't usually pay attention to packs or MOO on residential lots. I usually place the lot and spend a little time 'fixing it' to my liking anyway, since I don't have many packs. But I wouldn't refuse a build because it used packs I didn't own. However - for restaurants, NEVER use MOO. It can cause so many glitches - diners not being able to sit, hostess station not working, tables unable to be cleared between meals. Just don't use it at all lol.

5) Any other feedback you think a builder should know.

Like in real estate, put in as few functional objects as needed to define the space. Less is more. Bedroom should be bed, dresser, 1 piece of artwork, MAYBE a plant. Let the player fill the rest. If I place a furnished home, I hate having to delete clutter so my career rewards/skill objects fit, because every wall is filled from floor to ceiling with decor.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Very often. I'm not a builder so all the lots in my game are downloaded from the gallery.

2) Is there a particular style e.g traditional, modern, fantasy (like a fairy or alien house) you prefer?
    I prefer roomy, traditional lots.

Usually 2-3 bedrooms, one level homes.

I avoid lots that indicate MOO was used.

I tend to avoid lots that use a lot of the available space for landscaping.
    I prefer homes that are set fairly close to the front edge of the lot.

• Options
    GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    Always, when I'm not living in an apartment... I'm terrible at building :(

I always play realistic, so I'm always looking for family homes.

3 max, I prefer smaller houses.

No!

No, I think every creator should make what he/she likes... If I download a lot I always make changes to them, to personalize it to my own... I dont think I will ever find a house that is 100% exatly what I wanted, but thats okay :D
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited August 2018

I'm not a builder so whenever I start a new family, unless they live in an apartment. I usually find a lot close to what I want and then edit it to fit my requirements.

Traditional. I'm from the UK and love old cottages. I like lots to look realistic and in keeping with the rest of the world they are placed in.

Between 2 - 4, typically 3 with one main bedroom, a nursery/toddler room, and kids/twins room. I don't like bedrooms (or kitchens / bathrooms for that matter) to be in the basement - my sims need light and fresh air!

I have all packs so that's not an issue for me, in fact I actually prefer lots that make the most of all packs, and have a laundry room/space for example. I don't mind a little MOO, but I do tend to avoid it if I can as it can cause functional issues or just look glitchy. I do love a bit of clutter though to make the lot look lived in.

I like creative sims so I often look for lots with space to include a piano etc. I also like to have a study/office.

As others have said though, builders should build whatever and however they like. We're all very grateful to them for sharing their creations.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    1, I used to, now I don't.
    2,Depends on what town I'm in. Oasis Springs, I use modern houses or Spanish type houses. WC and BB traditionals, victorians.
    3,Depends on what I want it for, I build the house for the family I have in mind.
    4,Less is more, I don't like a lot of clutter, but I like it for flowers. I like to make it look fuller and more lush.
    5,Many seem to like to make a lot of roof lines, but I found that makes a mess of the upstairs. So many I found with roofs coming through the walls, dormers way too long which to me looked bad. They pay way too much attention to the outside and not the inside.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    lsnishi wrote: »
    I like building house lots so I'd love to know what people want from their downloaded lots, style, how many bedrooms, how many packs used, etc. I'd love to hear your feedback to the following:

4) Do you avoid lots that use a lot of packs or MOO (move objects on)?I

Thanks for your input!

1. Way too much at times
    2. Depends -- I've been remaking all the worlds, so in some cases I'll look for specific styles. For example, I have a Craftsman neighborhood in Willow Creek (in the area where Bargain Bend is/was), and Oasis Springs is Eichler/Midcentury Modern in the area where the Zest trailer is and the area below, then Tuscan inspired and vineyards up in the pricy district. I was looking for a small spa for Windenburg and found a nice one on a 20x20 lot, and also found Ragdoll Refurb converted to a library for Brindleton Bay. Theoretically you only need one of each venue but I like variety.
    3. Depends on the family size; I like to have a master suite (bedroom/bathroom) then each of the kids get their own rooms. I'll add a teen bedroom/bath to the basement on a lot of builds so my teens can have some privacy (in my current main save my Sim is still down there as a YA to help with the kids. I'd say a minimum of 3 BR since I usually play with 4 member families, though my favorite house that I've downloaded is a ranch style with 4BR and 2BA (I remodeled to add a basement).
    4. I have all the packs so I don't worry about pack content -- I'm not all that crazy about MOO but if it's mainly for landscaping I can deal. I have a test save where I do a lot of building and remodeling, as well as testing mods to see if they still work after patches while I wait for official words or updates, so I'll plunk buildings down there to check them out and make sure there's nothing weird.
    5. I like houses that have room for expansion. Placing a basement, even if it's just the beginnings of one with stairs and a small basement room really helps with that. Basements are probably my favorite added feature, because you can expand the house downward and it still looks good on the top. I also like houses with a decent sized yard, especially back yards -- big enough for some play equipment (monkey bars or swings), grill/picnic table, and maybe a few gardening plants so my Sims can grow their own fruits/veggies.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    1) How often do you download houses from the gallery? - All the time. I believe I've made about 5-10% of all lots in my game.
    2) Is there a particular style e.g traditional, modern, fantasy (like a fairy or alien house) you prefer? - I like modern mostly, but there has been the odd Victorian/Gothic style house that's caught my fancy!
    3) How many bedrooms do you usually want in your house? - About two or three. I don't have big families in my game.
    4) Do you avoid lots that use a lot of packs or MOO (move objects on)? MOO on yes, lots of packs no.
    5) Any other feedback you think a builder should know. - Less is more when it comes to clutter. I like some decor, but when its overcrowded it would make me think my Sim is a hoarder. I also really appreciate gardens that have a mix of patios and gardening space. Also please don't call a home a 'Starter' if its worth more than 20,000! I've seen that quite a lot.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    1) How often do you download houses from the gallery? - All the time. I believe I've made about 5-10% of all lots in my game.
    2) Is there a particular style e.g traditional, modern, fantasy (like a fairy or alien house) you prefer? - I like modern mostly, but there has been the odd Victorian/Gothic style house that's caught my fancy!
    3) How many bedrooms do you usually want in your house? - About two or three. I don't have big families in my game.
    4) Do you avoid lots that use a lot of packs or MOO (move objects on)? MOO on yes, lots of packs no.
    5) Any other feedback you think a builder should know. - Less is more when it comes to clutter. I like some decor, but when its overcrowded it would make me think my Sim is a hoarder. I also really appreciate gardens that have a mix of patios and gardening space. Also please don't call a home a 'Starter' if its worth more than 20,000! I've seen that quite a lot.

When building a lot, the uploaded cost doesn't reflect the lot cost so you might think you're keeping it under the cost but then when it's placed it ends up more than §20K. If you're building a starter for the Gallery, minimalist is best when furnishing; players gaincan always upgrade as their Sims make money.

Another hint: if you're building in daylight mode (morning or afternoon), switch to evening or night view when placing lights; that way you can see how much coverage a particular light gives and maybe pick a different one that covers more of the particular room. I've downloaded builds that are fantastic but they have way too many lights. You could save a few thousand in cost just by only adding the lights you need especially with ceiling lights -- if the ceiling light doesn't give enough coverage you can supplement with table lamps or floor/wall lights strategically placed (like a floor lamp next to a reading chair, or a desk lamp next to the computer in an office or on the desk in a kid's bedroom.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    simsdelamodesimsdelamode Posts: 33 Member
    Not that often, I prefer to build my own lots.

I usually go for the traditional or modern. I like attractive houses.

It depends on the household I plan to use.

Absolutely. Packs. I don't have them all, and it's disappointing when I don't have the complete look.

Nah, not really. It's their build so they did good.
  • Options
    CellardwellerCellardweller Posts: 92 Member
    Occasionally, when I'm too lazy to build one. I usually prefer to build my own but like to change it up once in a while.

I like contemporary or modern mostly, but it depends on the family I need to house. Sometimes I like the really weird ones.

Three is ideal for a mid-range priced home. One or two is fine for a starter. I just need that extra room for skill building activities or a computer desk.

I avoid those who have packs I don't own but MOO doesn't bother me unless it messes with the functionality.

For me, I don't like sprawling floor plans or many levels and I prefer smaller lots. I can't keep track of my peeps if they're all over the place.

I like functional floor plans with easily accessible bathrooms. Huge bathrooms or bedrooms aren't necessary.
    Good flow in the kitchen is desirable too. Fridge, counter top to prep, then stove is an example.

I generally don't download anything over $150K because I prefer to not cheat to get bunches of money. It's kind of pointless to me if they are loaded and have the most expensive stuff from the start - there's nothing to aspire to.

And builders should know that Maxis faves usually only happen when you post them to social media. I've seen lots of great builds that don't even get picked, and some pretty lame ones that do.
  • Options
    cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    Download from the gallery all the time.
    I like houses to match the world my sims are living in.
    I usually look for lots with an extra room for an office so I can lock the computer away from visitors.
    I prefer 30x20 lots and since the toddler update, outdoor living space is a must.
    I don't use MOO myself and too much clutter makes for unnecessarily pricey lots.
    If I like the look and layout of a house and MOO has been used I often have to place it unfurnished as very few builders actually playtest. (examples: not being able to wash dishes in the sink because of too much clutter around it or getting stuck in a corner because furniture is in the way.
    Thank you for taking the time to ask. :)
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member

1. Often

2. Modern/Mid Mod and Traditional

3. At least 3. I like to play large families

4. Not usually with packs. I have all but Glamour Stuff and MFP so that usually not a problem. I do tend to avoid MOO builds though.

5. These are purely my personal preferences. I won't download houses where the staircase is in the middle of the house and blocking the view during play. I like open spaces and that aren't littered with clutter. Some clutter is okay but not overdone(I am like this IRL too) I like to be able to easily add a basement. If it is a smaller house that I really like and want to add on since I play large families, I prefer to build down instead of up. I don't like overly small or large lots. 40x30 is usually what I look for. I like to be able to add a garden/pool, etc if there aren't already.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Pretty often since I can't build myself.

Traditional. I think I only have one family living in a modern style house.

I prefer to have at least 4 large rooms. That way I can have one for the parents and 3 for the kids with the possibility to double up on beds if needed.

I have a lot of packs so not really. If I see that they have used a lot of stuff from a pack I don't have, I'll avoid it. I'd love to use houses without MOO, but everyone uses it so it's pretty impossible to find any without it.

More than anything, I hope builders will focus on the functionally of a house and not just worry about making something look pretty or cool.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited August 2018
    I like building house lots so I'd love to know what people want from their downloaded lots, style, how many bedrooms, how many packs used, etc. I'd love to hear your feedback to the following:

Thanks for your input!
    To start off with I love building and build mostly modern homes. I try to put something in so the sims can gain any skill that is out there in the game. I have a basement and a sub-basement, I have my first floor with either an easy flow or open concept. I don't have strange layouts throughout the house and I don't build tiny bedrooms and expect to fit a double bed and dresser into it.

Now for feedback

1. sometimes
    2. Anything that will take me several days to build or something unique
    3. 2-4
    4. Yes and I do my best to avoid any CC
    5. I hate weird layouts. I love an open concept at least for the first floor. I do this when I build and I avoid creating strange layouts that are more like a maze or cluttered. The first floor I build a kitchen, dining area and a living room. I hate when somebody builds something that they could have built on 20x15 lot on a much larger lot wasting space on a lot. If you are going to only use a tiny amount of space on the lot to build something then use a smaller lot. I am big on using the space I have and pack a lot into my builds. I hate when some builds look great on the outside and I say yeah let's download that and then it's a hot mess inside with the layout and I only keep the shell of what was build and redo the entire interior knocking out walls for a nice easy flow. I want to make them watch hours of HGTV to teach them this is not how you build. I wish when they redid the gallery they showed us the floor plans of builds in the gallery. If I knew the floor plans to some of these builds it would be a yay or nay thing. I hate when builders put a humungous bed in a very tiny bedroom with a regular sized dresser. When a single bed and small dresser is meant for that room.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I just wanted to say that this is a very interesting thread. As a builder who likes to share, it's good to know what people like in their Sims' homes and what they don't like. I can certainly see some tendencies here, which is good (at least, it means I'm doing quite well in terms of building things that people might want to use in their games). I don't think it would be any help if I filled in the questionnaire, as I almost always use my own builds.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    lsnishilsnishi Posts: 2,714 Member
    Thank you for all the responses; it's been very helpful. I'm currently building a house and am trying to keep in mind what many of you said. I am trying to remember to use less clutter (I'm guilty of overdecorating I think) and trying to remember line of sight issues for playability. I did however, put the stairway in the middle of the house because it seemed easier than having sims walk from one end of the house to another. I definitely understand the playability issues and have during the last year, playtested each room or house. There's nothing more frustrating than to download something and not be able to use it as planned.

@MDianaSanders, I too build almost all the houses for my sims, so I know what I like. I confess that I only download houses that I find interesting to find out how the the technique or layout the builder used so I can keep it in mind the next time I build a house. BTW, I love your avi. I have a tuxedo cat sitting with me right now!
    PDWxp40.jpg