Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you play in full screen or windowed mode?

An odd question I know, and I am most likely in the minority with this, but I play windowed mode only and can't stand full screen, especially not in The Sims. I usually have the game open along with chrome so I can go to youtube during a loading screen. Or when things are getting a bit boring I can just leave the game running in the background while doing something else on the web. Windowed is also much more comfortable for me because I can still see the task menu and can watch what time it is etc.

I actually think my hatred towards full screen started when I played TS3 because the game would crash on occasion to the point that I often had to restart the computer completely, while in windowed mode I can just close it with the task manager (back then, I didn't know the key combination to open it :D ). Also, the world loading screens in TS3 were quiet long so I put the game into windowed mode so it could load in the background (it always seemed to me like it took longer when loading in full screen while I minimized it).
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Do you play in full screen or windowed mode? 225 votes

Full Screen
62%
Akl500PFrn0731bshag4lvtams2578GoldmoldarJeanTheStarHermitKita5399jasasimsGalacticGalIcewolfSamadamsPlayertinahjalmarIrishSimmer21IceyJaprilroseCrazyboutTheSimsdreamergrl84AlexaiSikoahGrace 140 votes
Windowed (includes windowed full screen)
37%
auroraael14icmnfrshLeGardePourpreJaiSeaalexspoom13SimmervilleMadameLeeaelias24rudolphaColorist40MylitaSimsILikeSimsjuliekayemcruddJanlStrangerthanelanorbretonPapayaPancakesimgirl1010renzilla 85 votes

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Full Screen
    If I wish to go somewhere else online, I merely squish the game by hitting the Windows key on my keyboard. But, I have a loverly 20" diagonal monitor, why would I want something smaller?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    elumaeelumae Posts: 171 Member
    Hi, @Huiiie_07. :) I play in windowed mode much for the same reasons you do. I like to catch up on my favorite sims Let's Plays and Twitch streams while I play. It's often the only time I get to do so, and it's oddly relaxing to have some sims related video content playing while I'm building my sims a home or waiting for them to finish that last bar to hit a max skill level. My monitor is quite large, so even with the game in windowed mode and Chrome off to the side, I still feel like I'm seeing enough of the game and my browser without either feeling compromised in size.
  • Options
    jprich99jprich99 Posts: 39 Member
    Absolutely Windowed.
    That started in my WoW days when I would need to look up a quest or item while playing.
    Now Im usually doing something else while monkeying around in CAS.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Both.
    It depends on if I am jumping back and forth between the internet and different programs, or if I want total immersion and no distractions.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    HellHamsterHellHamster Posts: 109 Member
    I actually play full screen, and I am surprised so many play windowd :open_mouth: Maybe when I add my second screen it would make more sense tho, but I am playing with a laptop next to my normal pc, so everything else I want to do, I do on there.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I do like OP for the exact same reasons. I always have other programs running in the background, but most important is that I use a huge spreadsheet with info on sims and households and rotation, etc. While loading a new lot I normally switch to the spreadsheet to check or make notes.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    @Simmerville whuuut? What kind of spreadsheats, I am curious :scream:
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member

I keep track on misc info and history for my sims. Each sim has one line, and sims are grouped under what lot they live on. Lots grouped under hoods, hoods under worlds. I keep track on the extra DNA I give them, traits/asp, skills on bday, school grade (which the game really should save) careers etc. It helps me when creating a new sim also to set a few previous merits. Oh, and I also add their preference for color/style and some details about their economy.

*melovedetails* :smiley:
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    That is incredible! I love it! I think it is really awesome you keep track so closely! Now I even want to do a thing like that! But I don't think I can be that organized hahahaha
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    Full Screen
    I play in full screen because my specs allow me to and I like it better and I am using an 34" wide screen. It is good that options do exist for some cannot play full screen due to what their rig specs are. Windowed mode allows one to truly multi task and is not just because of ones specs I do not multitask because I want my full attention on the game at hand.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    Full Screen
    I play on Mac so full screen mode is just a simple swipe away, and it continues playing in the background (if I don't pause it) even when I swipe back to the desktop. I've sometimes accidentally started the game in windowed mode and the mouse is a lot harder to control, so I've never tried playing it like that.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Windowed full screen makes it easier to jump between programs especially since I make cc
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

I do the same. Microsoft Excel.
    spreads.jpg

I aged all my CAS young adults down to toddlers and gave them parents.
    I didn't want all their birthdays on the same day as I played them in rotation.
    Meadow is the lead sim, so this chart shows me what ages everyone should be compared to wherever Meadow is on the chart.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Full Screen
    CK213 wrote: »

I do the same. Microsoft Excel.
    spreads.jpg

I aged all my CAS young adults down to toddlers and gave them parents.
    I didn't want all their birthdays on the same day as I played them in rotation.
    Meadow is the lead sim, so this chart shows me what ages everyone should be compared to wherever Meadow is on the chart.

That is some awesome work there! :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Windowed mode. My window fits the screen so same as full screen for me.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Full Screen
    Full screen only...there are so many small things I would miss if I used window mode. Plus I don't multi-task well. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 909 Member
    I play in window mode because I'm almost always looking around the forum or downloading cc while I'm playing and since I can make it as big as my screen I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    Full Screen
    I play with full screen. I get too distracted by everything else if I use windowed mode.
  • Options
    Deadtech5Deadtech5 Posts: 152 Member
    Full Screen
    full screen. mostly because it gets buggy if its windowed.
    chewbacca-wink.gif
  • Options
    Thunderbat87Thunderbat87 Posts: 275 Member
    Full Screen
    Always fullscreen. If I want to watch yt while gaming, I use my iphone :)
  • Options
    Sweeties29Sweeties29 Posts: 47 Member
    Full Screen
    Full screen because I have a big HD screen that I would like to take advantage of. Like another poster said, if I want to watch YT for gameplays or browse the forums I simply press the Windows key on my keyboard. It does get a bit glitchy, but in my opinion it's worth it.
  • Options
    TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    Full Screen
    Full Screen all the way, mainly because I prefer to give the game my full attention while playing and I have good ultra graphics; on the rare occcasion I need to check something else (usually checking something on Carl's Sims Guide) then it's only a quick Alt-Tab out. :smiley:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Sweeties29 wrote: »
    Full screen because I have a big HD screen that I would like to take advantage of. Like another poster said, if I want to watch YT for gameplays or browse the forums I simply press the Windows key on my keyboard. It does get a bit glitchy, but in my opinion it's worth it.

I don't know if there's an option somewhere to change this, but in my game, as soon as I hit the windows key in full screen mode the game pauses, and that's what I want to prevent because I go out of the game for it to keep running when I'm bored :D
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Full Screen
    I have a big screen and enjoy it.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    zefronzefron Posts: 157 Member
    I use windowed mode because I always have like 8 tabs open and music going while I play.
    // WEREWOLF BOYBANDS //

not so berry family tree