Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims keep standing still during gameplay!?

It doesn't happen all the time, but once in awhile, my Sims will literally just stop what they're doing and just stand/sit there. I try doing the "resetSim" cheat, but it doesn't work. I even try cancelling out their actions... and that only works sometimes. Occasionally, if a Sim is frozen on a couch, chair, etc, I'll go into buy/build mode and move the furniture. Sometimes this helps, but it also doesn't sometimes. Most of the time, I just have to wait it out until they finally start responding again.

This only started happening recently. It seems to mostly happen whenever I have guests over at my house. Is this a known issue?
Favorite Packs
Sims 1: Hot Date
Sims 2: Seasons
Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
Sims 3: Seasons
Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
Sims 4: Seasons
Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    This is occurring in other simmer’s games also. When it occurs, it can help to press pause, wait a few seconds, then go back to normal speed. Gomg to Game options and back,and pressing M key then cancelling the travelling can also help.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Try removing the localthumbcache.package file from the Sims 4 folder and see if that helps to prevent it occurring.

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I've been getting this too. I usually go into build mode and come out again and my Sims will respond after that. But I've had to do it a few times in my last play session and it's just getting annoying because it keeps disrupting my gameplay and making time management very difficult.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I've been getting this too. I usually go into build mode and come out again and my Sims will respond after that. But I've had to do it a few times in my last play session and it's just getting annoying because it keeps disrupting my gameplay and making time management very difficult.

Honestly, I love this game... but it really seems like 'Seasons' has brought too many bugs that prevent us from actually being able to fully enjoy the game... :disappointed: I mean, I expect glitches... but this is only one of many bugs that have been happening ever since 'Seasons' was released.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options

Honestly, I love this game... but it really seems like 'Seasons' has brought too many bugs that prevent us from actually being able to fully enjoy the game... :disappointed: I mean, I expect glitches... but this is only one of many bugs that have been happening ever since 'Seasons' was released.

I agree. This particular expansion has introduced a plethora of issues, it seems more than usual. I guess with so much going on effecting every single world, it was probably harder to anticipate everything that could go wrong. I feel like EA needs a sort of pre-release playtest program. Something that allows a variety of Simmers with variations of installed packs who are willing to take the risk, to sign up to test out expansions in a "beta" phase to help catch bugs. It would probably mean more NDA agreements or tweaking how they do things, but in the long run it might help. A lot of MMOs have this kind of thing in place and it allows them to get feedback before release so they can iron out the flaws.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member

I agree. This particular expansion has introduced a plethora of issues, it seems more than usual. I guess with so much going on effecting every single world, it was probably harder to anticipate everything that could go wrong. I feel like EA needs a sort of pre-release playtest program. Something that allows a variety of Simmers with variations of installed packs who are willing to take the risk, to sign up to test out expansions in a "beta" phase to help catch bugs. It would probably mean more NDA agreements or tweaking how they do things, but in the long run it might help. A lot of MMOs have this kind of thing in place and it allows them to get feedback before release so they can iron out the flaws.

I feel like the major problem was the date of release for 'Seasons'... a lot of people were actually quite skeptical about it being released in June, instead of late in the year like all the other expansion packs (with the exception of 'Get To Work')... and it seems like they were right to be skeptical about everything. I mean, I love that the pack was released earlier than usual... but if releasing it even later would've reduced the amount of bugs, glitches, etc, then I would've been all for it!

At least the game is still somewhat playable... but certain bugs (like the one mentioned in this discussion) make it unplayable from time to time.

Regardless, I did discover that using the 'repair game' option in Origin reduces the chances of this bug occurring... see if that helps with your game as well. If you don't already know about it, just right click the game icon in Origin and there should be a "repair" option. It usually fixes certain issues the game is having. Then try loading up the game and see if it fixed anything. And it also does NOT effect your game files, but I would probably back them up anyway (just to be safe). The same goes for the items in your tray folder.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    PepseyrulesPepseyrules Posts: 32 Member
    OMG. Yes
    Peace. Love. and Happiness.
  • Options

I feel like the major problem was the date of release for 'Seasons'... a lot of people were actually quite skeptical about it being released in June, instead of late in the year like all the other expansion packs (with the exception of 'Get To Work')... and it seems like they were right to be skeptical about everything. I mean, I love that the pack was released earlier than usual... but if releasing it even later would've reduced the amount of bugs, glitches, etc, then I would've been all for it!

At least the game is still somewhat playable... but certain bugs (like the one mentioned in this discussion) make it unplayable from time to time.

Regardless, I did discover that using the 'repair game' option in Origin reduces the chances of this bug occurring... see if that helps with your game as well. If you don't already know about it, just right click the game icon in Origin and there should be a "repair" option. It usually fixes certain issues the game is having. Then try loading up the game and see if it fixed anything. And it also does NOT effect your game files, but I would probably back them up anyway (just to be safe). The same goes for the items in your tray folder.

Every time there's new DLC I put in my mod/CC-free Sims folder, delete cache and localthumbcache, and do a repair immediately after downloading. Then I launch my game. But I'm thinking you're right, that I might need another game repair afer the hotfix patch. I also have a household full of elder Sims in Brindleton Bay frantically running around in thunderstorms instead of going inside. One was struck by lightning and continued to stand around outside. They're also not finishing their meals or staying in bed... it's like full-blown, apocalyptic hysteria in that household, lol.

I believe that Seasons has probably been a project long in the making. It's something that affects all worlds (and each one differently at that) and a whole lot of objects, as well as all of our Sims and pets. I would think it's something that's been worked on for several years now, not just since Cats and Dogs. But even so, it does seem like there wasn't enough testing done before release. And we're probably going to see more bugs popping up with some of the new releases in the future.

But I'll do another repair and check again. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    waggymiley2013waggymiley2013 Posts: 239 Member
    This standing still lark is annoying. I get it using retail. I've tried lowering my game settings, repairing and tried a new save. Seasons has got way too many bugs for my liking! I hope the next EP, GP or SP doesn't have too many bugs. It feels like Im playing a Alpha game off steam. Even then I get less bugs and gameplay issues off Alpha games that's not even in Beta yet. :/
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Usually for me, that indicates I haven't been saving enough and need to save my game.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻