Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Stardew Valley" Inspired Harvest Moon Challenge!

Harvest Moon Challenge
Hello, Farmer! Inspired by the Harvest Moon series and Stardew Valley, I have created a challenge for you. The point of this challenge is to start off with nothing other than a little bit of dirt and a few seeds, and then build up your farm and lifestyle from the ground up along with improving your neighborhood and making connections. I thought about this challenge myself since I really like working for what I have in the game.

Rules
  • You cannot use cheats unless you need to move objects, reset your sim, or take away funds.
  • You cannot build a kitchen, decorate, start a business or get married until you pay back your loan of 4500, and an additional 500 for taxes for a total of 5000 in fines (which you must delete to simulate paying the fine).
  • Traits don’t matter, you can randomize to make things more difficult.
  • Your lifetime wish must be under the Nature or Cooking, or Pet related category.
  • You can only build a garden if you have at least 10 plants on your lot.
  • Each time you travel to any other lot, you must subtract five or ten simoleons. (optional)
  • You CANNOT get a job. You must work all on your own.
  • You are allowed to use custom content as long as there's no cheating involved.

Main Goals (Non-Optional)
  • You must own at least one successful shop, vet center or restaurant. You can use items you made, found, scavenged, or grew, as long as you worked to get it.
  • You must get married and have at least one child to take on the legacy before you pass.
  • You must fulfill at least one-lifetime wish under the Nature category during the sims lifetime.
  • Earn at least 25,000 or 50,000 on your own. Your choice.

Additional Challenges (Optional)
  • You must volunteer at least once every three days
  • You must write at least one book
  • You must befriend everyone in the neighborhood.
  • Improve your entire town to make everyone happier.
  • Be an amazing parent.

Mandatory Steps:
  • Create a YA sim. It doesn’t matter what gender.
  • Create townies and at least 3 bachelors and 3 bachelorettes. Make sure they have homes to live in.
  • Move to Newcrest and pick any lot you desire. The biggest lot would be the most appropriate.
  • Whatever money you have left after picking a lot, delete it and reset it so that you have 4500 simoleons. These simoleons will be used to build the shell of your home (which must be either 5x5 or 6x6) and paint along with a single bed, a bathtub/shower, and a toilet. If you have extra you can only purchase either a nightstand, bookcase or bonfire but ONLY ONE of those things.
  • After that, reset funds so that you have 300 simoleons these simoleons will go towards to your starter crops. You can use this to buy seeds or planter boxes.
  • In Harvest Moon games you must introduce yourself to everyone that lives there, but you don't need to be their friend if you don't want to.

Business
  • You cannot build a business/vet center and purchase the land until you have a kitchen on your home lot and enough money for it.
  • You must only sell items you found, scavenged, or grew for retail.
  • If you’re making a restaurant, you must have at least a level three in cooking skill before opening along with the things required to be considered a restaurant.

Marriage
  • You need to pay back your loan and taxes before you marry someone.
  • You must marry someone in Newcrest.
  • The person you like must have their own starter home.
  • You must have talked to them at least once a day for at least five days before asking them out. If they accept them you must be dating them for at least ten in game days before you can ask them to marry you.
  • You need to have at least one double bed, a kitchen, and a starter business along with at least 2500 in extra funds.
  • You must have a wedding to celebrate.

Children
  • You cannot have a child until you have a nursery and space for them.

Tips
  • You can remove/set funds by pressing Ctrl + Shift + C to gain access to the cheat bar, type in testingcheats on and then hit enter. Open the cheat bar again and enter money 0 or whatever you need to set the funds to and hit enter again, this will take away/set your funds.
  • At the beginning when you don’t have a kitchen, you can still survive by eating your own goods, scavenging, and cooking with a bonfire if you have one.
  • You can volunteer to feel more in tune with the neighborhood.

Alright, I don't know if this is fleshed out enough but that’s all I can think of right now for this challenge. I play tested it a bit so you have anymore ideas let me know. I feel like a similar idea has been done, but this is my own little twist so I hope you enjoy it.
Post edited by caralina1324 on

Comments

• Options
    GigglecakeGigglecake Posts: 114 Member
    This sounds amazing! I love those kind of games, and this sounds right up my alley. Question... Can we purchase a tent to sleep in or will we just use a bench until we can get enough funds to build a bedroom?

Also, can we build whatever we want for the bachelor and bachelorette homes? Or just what they have in starter funds? Also, can we build up Newcrest, so it looks like a town or do we do like the Build Newcrest challenge and have to unlock things as we go?
  • Options
    Woops. Just reread the rules. Tent question is null and void.
  • Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    edited August 2017
    This sounds amazing, as I love those games! I was wondering if there were challenges for it, or if I'd need to make one. I'm definitely going to try it soon!

One question I had was how do we go about repaying the loan???
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    caralina1324caralina1324 Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2017
    Gigglecake wrote: »
    This sounds amazing! I love those kind of games, and this sounds right up my alley. Question... Can we purchase a tent to sleep in or will we just use a bench until we can get enough funds to build a bedroom?

Also, can we build whatever we want for the bachelor and bachelorette homes? Or just what they have in starter funds? Also, can we build up Newcrest, so it looks like a town or do we do like the Build Newcrest challenge and have to unlock things as we go?

You can build whatever you want for the Newcrest bachelors and bachelorettes, as it is your town and your backstory, the characters you make and the places you build are up to you. Usually, in an HM game, everything is all broken down and they expect you to fix it, so if you want to play that way I would recommend every house they live in to be built with starter funds and you can slowly build onto it for the story.
  • Options
    This sounds amazing, as I love those games! I was wondering if there were challenges for it, or if I'd need to make one. I'm definitely going to try it soon!

One question I had was how do we go about repaying the loan???

I didn't really think too much about where the money would go since don't have banks or anything. Once you make five thousand dollars I just figured you could delete the funds once you reach the amount to simulate paying the loan. I forgot to mention paying bills could also go towards that fund so it's not like a side fine your getting from the game <3
  • Options
    When Pets comes out, will there be any changes/updates to the rules?
    Story_Banner.png
  • Options
    When Pets comes out, will there be any changes/updates to the rules?

Likely yes, since pets and animals play a large role in harvest moon games. The pets they will be adding will determine how much the rules change though. If it's just cats and dogs then it shouldn't change much, but if horses and other animals are added then the rules will definitely change a little more. <3
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Hey, maybe this will motivate me to finally finish and upload the household I created inspired by the bachelors of Tree of Tranquility! (shameless plug)

I haven't looked at them in forever, so I don't know how much left I have to do, but hopefully I'll get it uploaded tonight.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    MellowMaizeMellowMaize Posts: 13 New Member
    This sounds like such a sweet challenge! I played stardew valley to death and I've been looking for similar games ever since.

I'm definitely putting this on my to do list (maybe wait till cats and dogs come out. It just feels "right" with a pet.)
  • Options
    LadyLuxLadyLux Posts: 34 Member
    I love this! Stardew Valley is one of my absolute favourite games and it's sapped so many of my hours. I really think I'm going to try this challenge (and maybe write some sim-lit on it). Thank you so much!
  • Options
    LadyLux wrote: »
    I love this! Stardew Valley is one of my absolute favourite games and it's sapped so many of my hours. I really think I'm going to try this challenge (and maybe write some sim-lit on it). Thank you so much!

I'm going to hopefully write a sim-lit on it too! Once I get everything set up eventually lol
    Story_Banner.png
  • Options

That's so cool, I'd love to see it when you do! I haven't started the challenge yet myself other than creating a backstory but I'm going to create a tag and track it on tumblr to see everyone post! I'm definitely going to add sim-lit myself since I'm a story driven player.

Stardew Valley was amazing and there's so much content that I haven't even finished it all yet. <3 I'm glad you like the challenge idea!
    Hey, maybe this will motivate me to finally finish and upload the household I created inspired by the bachelors of Tree of Tranquility! (shameless plug)

I haven't looked at them in forever, so I don't know how much left I have to do, but hopefully I'll get it uploaded tonight.

I'd like to see that when you do upload it! Harvest moon games were so amazing it sucks that not many of the people I know really know or care for it. It's just relaxing :)

• Options
    This sounds like such a sweet challenge! I played stardew valley to death and I've been looking for similar games ever since.

I'm definitely putting this on my to do list (maybe wait till cats and dogs come out. It just feels "right" with a pet.)

Yeah, I'm excited for Pets to come out. With that pack, I can add an animal element to the challenge. It's only cats and dogs though so I;m a little sad about it, but the rules will be updated. When you start the challenge let me know! I definitely want to see it <3
  • Options
    Waiting for pets before starting the challenge sounds good, but I'm also super excited about doing it. Maybe I'll get started on it, and then when I get pets, I can pretend it was something I unlocked.
  • Options
    I'm getting my world set up for it, currently making townspeople (though I've stopped for the night) and I so can't wait to share it already.
    Story_Banner.png
  • Options
    I'm doing the same thing <3 So far I've created all the townspeople, bachelors and bachelorettes (which are like rivals more than anything), and their backstories along with my main sim, and now I'm building their houses. I added a library, museum, and park to the town as well so everything seems more harvest moon like. Three more houses and then I'm ready to share.
  • Options
    I'm having a hard time coming up with a coherent theme/ideas for this Harvest Moon challenge. Grrr. I'll think of something eventually! I figured I'd start off with a male Sim this time instead of a female one like I've been doing.
  • Options
    Gigglecake wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time coming up with a coherent theme/ideas for this Harvest Moon challenge. Grrr. I'll think of something eventually! I figured I'd start off with a male Sim this time instead of a female one like I've been doing.

That's neat, I always do females so it's interesting to see someone have a different approach. I can't wait to start it. The main focus I'm putting into my world is unity and loyalty between everyone in the town, and Celia Rose, the lovely sim I have created specifically for this challenge, I am excited to share her soon. I have some idea of what I want to do with her but I also want her to surprise me in game.
  • Options
    gULTjP5.jpg
    aWw04uB.jpg
    I finally finished building up the town and Celia's house. It actually looks better than expected, but it's so small compared to the giant landmass it's on. :D<3 I can't wait to create a story for this! When I do I will be posting the storyline on my Tumblr which can be found by clicking the link here. I'll be using this thread for updates on the challenge and screenshots. If you're doing this challenge I would really like to see it!
  • Options

I'd like to see that when you do upload it! Harvest moon games were so amazing it plum that not many of the people I know really know or care for it. It's just relaxing :)

Oh geez, I'm sorry! I had my hands full packing for my vacation, and then it slipped my mind until now! I have some other Sims business to attend to (namely, my woefully neglected lit :#) but that'll be next on my list!
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    It's cool lol I'm just playing it right now since I couldn't do it for a week. :# But have a great time on your vacation!
  • Options
    It's uploaded to the gallery! Just a reminder, these boys are inspired by the game. I was working from screenshots I found on-line and clothes available in the game. And of course you never see clothes like pajamas. But I did the best I could :sweat_smile:
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    I can’t wait to update this for pets, it’s going to be so exciting <3
  • Options
    I tried to update this a bit for pets but I haven't really played it yet so I don't know all the features, BUT I'll update it again once I get a gist of how it plays!
  • Options
    PepseyrulesPepseyrules Posts: 32 Member
    Ouuu that seems interesting
    Peace. Love. and Happiness.