Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Summer help, and summer vacation for children/ teens help

alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
Has anyone given their sims a summer break yet? I was thinking about doing that, but the problem is that my adult sims will miss work, and I need them to work. Is it optional for the adults to go to work if you check that little box in calendar screen where you make custom holidays?
Also, some people said that a summer break can set the children/teens back in school. I thought about this too, but I figured I could have them build their skills, and do extra credit projects over break, and that would help with the days off from school. I'm really stuck now... It's really the parent's that I'm worried about. I don't need them missing work.

Also, I'm not sure what to do in the summer season. It's been raining a lot in my game. What are some things to do in the summer? I didn't watch any of the live stream, or explanation videos. I'm kind of lost. So far I've found the water balloon bucket.

Edit: Now I'm thinking I might just get the father's writing skill up to level 3, and just have him write excuse notes for his children everyday. That way, he can still work while they're off. Is that silly?
p6tqefj

Comments

• Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »
    Has anyone given their sims a summer break yet? I was thinking about doing that, but the problem is that my adult sims will miss work, and I need them to work. Is it optional for the adults to go to work if you check that little box in calendar screen where you make custom holidays?
    Also, some people said that a summer break can set the children/teens back in school. I thought about this too, but I figured I could have them build their skills, and do extra credit projects over break, and that would help with the days off from school. I'm really stuck now... It's really the parent's that I'm worried about. I don't need them missing work.

Also, I'm not sure what to do in the summer season. It's been raining a lot in my game. What are some things to do in the summer? I didn't watch any of the live stream, or explanation videos. I'm kind of lost. So far I've found the water balloon bucket.

If you click the box, in pretty sure they’re stuck staying home. You could try not clicking it and just using your teen and child sims vacation days for each day of the break (as they get taken out anyway), and then have the parents still go to work as usual.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »
    alexandrea wrote: »

If you click the box, in pretty sure they’re stuck staying home. You could try not clicking it and just using your teen and child sims vacation days for each day of the break (as they get taken out anyway), and then have the parents still go to work as usual.

I really want it to be more than 3 days though... :(
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    I wish they would have made it so you can choose if it’s just kids that stay home, just adults or both. In my current save mom owns a Vet Clinic so I imagine she can go to work whenever she wants but that’s not a full actual career so that doesn’t really matter income-wise. I did schedule a summer and winter vacation - I’m just gonna use it as an opportunity for my families to take a vacation together I guess. I wonder if you can force the parent to go to work regardless?
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

• Options
    pallies1pallies1 Posts: 326 Member
    You can make your sims go to work even though its a holiday. I've just set up a Halloween holiday with days off in my game, and my adults where able to click on the yellow "get to work-icon" when the workday had begun. I never made them go though since I wanted them to take the day off, but the option was there. Have you tried it?
  • Options
    pallies1 wrote: »
    You can make your sims go to work even though its a holiday. I've just set up a Halloween holiday with days off in my game, and my adults where able to click on the yellow "get to work-icon" when the workday had begun. I never made them go though since I wanted them to take the day off, but the option was there. Have you tried it?

I just discovered this while playing!!! :) I'm so happy now. I sent the dad off to work and the girls are enjoying their time off. :)
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    a_niles06 wrote: »
    I wish they would have made it so you can choose if it’s just kids that stay home, just adults or both. In my current save mom owns a Vet Clinic so I imagine she can go to work whenever she wants but that’s not a full actual career so that doesn’t really matter income-wise. I did schedule a summer and winter vacation - I’m just gonna use it as an opportunity for my families to take a vacation together I guess. I wonder if you can force the parent to go to work regardless?

Yeah, you can force them to go to work, and even school! It's great. I feel like the sims and the children should be compensated even more for going in on a holiday, but I can't complain.
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I made a summer break, spring break, and winter break. I set it for the Friday in Summer, Friday in Spring, and Friday in Winter. So just that one day each season.

I did it this way so that the parents could be off on that day but stil go to work if they needed to on Saturday and Sunday with the kids basically having a 3 day weekend.

I play 7 day seasons.
  • Options
    TreebrookeTreebrooke Posts: 80 Member
    I like that idea! Ty! My simmies will now work during the summer!