Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Gardening Overhaul in patch

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    rudolpha wrote: »
    In TS3 I used to grow plants in my basement with no windows using those green plots.

Do you mean the green plots from Into The Future? We're talking about harvestables not decorative (outdoor) plants. I can't grow any harvestables on these green plots in Into The Future

In fact in TS4 they should reassign the lawn carpet floor tiles to make them able to grow harvestables on them.

It's from Supernatural and you absolutely can do gardening indoors with it, it was even more silly because we got it instead of actual, functional greenhouses, which The Sims 2 had. (a decorative greenhouse, and also sprinklers and composters were sold separately on Store, features that came with Seasons in The Sims 2, to further add salt to the injury).

I haven't seen it, are greenhouses functional this time around? well, even if they aren't at least they didn't charge extra money for it I guess.

We're talking about these Nature's Soil Rugs from Into the Future, but the planters worked as well.
    Oyn47JS.jpg
  • Options
    hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I hope they get rid of the evolving system and it just does it automatically. I love gardening in the sims and look forward to the career featuring it. I just hope it takes less time because right now my sim is trying to fit it all in before work as a scientist.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2018
    When we found out about seasons and the botanist career, I wondered whether they'd make certain produce harvestable only during their "fruiting" season. I didn't post the thought though bc I thought it might be too farfetched. However, a guru did tweet that the lemon tree is "in bloom" and in season, so I wonder if it will be implemented like that in the patch.

If it is, that would actually be so amazing for farming!! It would make it wayyyy more realistic and then you can only harvest/grow certain crops during specific seasons, just like in farm games.
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    Yes it is! I hope at some point they slip a canning table into the game. Would be great if sims could learn this skill.

If I recall correctly, this was one of the four options they gave us when the Laundry Stuff was chosen. So must be in realm of possibility.
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,449 Member

They just had a patch not to long ago though, he only said it’ll be part of the patch.
    Edit: said tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/status/1004476862041489408
    No mention of date

According to a tweet from Grant 4 hours ago the "gardening update is free just before Seasons ships" so *hopefully* this week. Would they/have they ever released a pack-related patch the day before the pack drops?
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,431 Member
    Starfree wrote: »

They just had a patch not to long ago though, he only said it’ll be part of the patch.
    Edit: said tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/status/1004476862041489408
    No mention of date

According to a tweet from Grant 4 hours ago the "gardening update is free just before Seasons ships" so *hopefully* this week. Would they/have they ever released a pack-related patch the day before the pack drops?
    Not the day before but they have done it the same week. It’s possible this week.
  • Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    Starfree wrote: »

No mention of date

I’m not sure if they ever have, but rumor has it that early access for game changers will start the 19th. If that’s true (according to simsvip) the patch will have to be the 19th, or before. They’ll need it for early access. :)

• Options
    nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    As much as I like some of the gardening features in Sims4, I agree with the sentiment that it seems to take forever in this game! It sometimes seems like my sim spends practically all day on just that and then gets so worn out afterwards, they can't really do anything else without having to tend to all their motives again.

I had tried hiring the gardener in the past, but as has been also mentioned, it sometimes seems like they don't do a good job (or sometimes don't show up?) making me question whether it's even worth it at times. :/

If among the changes made were making gardening more efficient (and far less time consuming and motive-draining and maybe a more efficient/better gardener), then I'm all for it!
  • Options
    @LaurenLoser16 @Starfree @CrystalAbyss1

Not sure if you saw this post on VIP but it more or less says that the patch will be released on 19th. There's so many internet tidbits out there that I thought you may have missed it :smile:

https://simsvip.com/2018/06/09/the-sims-4-seasons-upcoming-patch-and-early-access-embargo-dates/
  • Options
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    @LaurenLoser16 @Starfree @CrystalAbyss1

Not sure if you saw this post on VIP but it more or less says that the patch will be released on 19th. There's so many internet tidbits out there that I thought you may have missed it :smile:

https://simsvip.com/2018/06/09/the-sims-4-seasons-upcoming-patch-and-early-access-embargo-dates/
    That’s when I was thinking it would come out. Good to know.
  • Options
    nolurk wrote: »
    As much as I like some of the gardening features in Sims4, I agree with the sentiment that it seems to take forever in this game! It sometimes seems like my sim spends practically all day on just that and then gets so worn out afterwards, they can't really do anything else without having to tend to all their motives again.

I had tried hiring the gardener in the past, but as has been also mentioned, it sometimes seems like they don't do a good job (or sometimes don't show up?) making me question whether it's even worth it at times. :/

If among the changes made were making gardening more efficient (and far less time consuming and motive-draining and maybe a more efficient/better gardener), then I'm all for it!

The best way I've found to get around this is grafting. I have about a dozen or so trees and bushes that all grow multiple crops. It does not give you quite the volume of tons of plants, but it has allowed my gardeners to live fairly comfortably. Also works well for smaller lots where there is not a lot of yardspace.
  • Options
    nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    nolurk wrote: »

The best way I've found to get around this is grafting. I have about a dozen or so trees and bushes that all grow multiple crops. It does not give you quite the volume of tons of plants, but it has allowed my gardeners to live fairly comfortably. Also works well for smaller lots where there is not a lot of yardspace.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @nolurk You're welcome!
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Given that we saw a lemon tree in bloom, I think it's reasonable to presume that harvestables are being updated so as to have different phases of growth, blooming, produce producing and dormancy throughout the year.

If I'm right then it's also fair to presume that different plants will produce fruits and veg at different times (unless it's like sims 2 where they do so all the time they're not dormant). If so, it would be great to have a guide available listing when different plants produce their harvestables. It would make planning crop rotation a lot easier.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    pajamajam07pajamajam07 Posts: 314 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Given that we saw a lemon tree in bloom, I think it's reasonable to presume that harvestables are being updated so as to have different phases of growth, blooming, produce producing and dormancy throughout the year.

If I'm right then it's also fair to presume that different plants will produce fruits and veg at different times (unless it's like sims 2 where they do so all the time they're not dormant). If so, it would be great to have a guide available listing when different plants produce their harvestables. It would make planning crop rotation a lot easier.

Hmm but I wonder how phases and dormancy would work for those without Seasons, if this is what what we'd be getting as a patch.
  • Options

Hmm but I wonder how phases and dormancy would work for those without Seasons, if this is what what we'd be getting as a patch.
    I don’t think dormancy will be in the patch, it’s to protect plants that aren’t really suitable in whatever weather it is at the time. No need for dormancy without seasons. But Grant said gardening had been overhauled...hmmm.
  • Options
    pajamajam07pajamajam07 Posts: 314 Member

I don’t think dormancy will be in the patch, it’s to protect plants that aren’t really suitable in whatever weather it is at the time. No need for dormancy without seasons. But Grant said gardening had been overhauled...hmmm.

Maybe just flowering. Or an upgrade/fix of the evolution and grafting of plants? Lots of simmers, including myself, don't really like the current evolution system.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I am still curious about what the overhaul will be. I noticed that trees will have flowers now and all that; but that seems to have to do with seasons. I don't do a lot of gardening myself as it just takes so much work. I sort of have these sims I just put in my game that sort of lives on a lot with tents, etc....I going to try for the rags to riches and they will mainly grow their own food or find other ways such as fishing, etc....until they start earning money.