Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Foster kids?

We all know about adopting kids, but have you ever had your sims foster a kid? As in, moving in a child whose parents are about to die before they can get swooped up by the poorly developed child services in The Sims 4 (or placed randomly into a household if you have MCCC like I do).

I ended up doing this in my current generation. Shortly after my sim, Braylon, married his wife, Kiana, I noticed that she had a toddler brother, Loren, and that her dad had died, which meant her mom would soon be passing too. I felt bad for Loren being all alone, so I transferred him into my current sims' household, and figured I'd move him out when he was a teenager.

Loren is now a child, and surprisingly, I've become somewhat attached to the kid. The attachment grew after his reaction to his "foster" grandfather's death. He was devastated; I figure because he'd already lost two parents. He's also a kleptomaniac, which makes things even more interesting. He also fits in great with the other kids. Here's a photo of him and his foster brother (also his step-nephew), Christopher, playing basketball.

WExnfnV.png

It would be cool if Sims had an actual "foster care" option.

Comments

• Options
    takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    Yeah, that would be cool. I've done the same thing a few times with young relatives of my sims who are either in a full household or have dead/dying parents. It could be like the "adopt as care dependent" option but the kid is actually transferred to your household as well.
  • Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I made a foster family although with how that household's game play is, those poor foster children probably would be better off in a different home.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    With the Parenting EP you could kind of do this, by not setting the relationships in CAS but using the Parenthood option.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    It would be nice if there were *any* adoption-type options outside of the computer's "adopt" interaction.
    Why doesn't the sim who treats her husband's alien child as her own get to be counted as the mother? She didn't carry the kid, but he didn't carry any of the other kids, and the alien isn't genetically related to either of them. You could cheat in the relationship, but you can cheat in any relationship.
  • Options
    CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    With the Parenting EP you could kind of do this, by not setting the relationships in CAS but using the Parenthood option.

I have Parenthood, which brings the "Adopt as Care Dependent" option - I use that for grandparents/older siblings quite frequently.
    Yeah, that would be cool. I've done the same thing a few times with young relatives of my sims who are either in a full household or have dead/dying parents. It could be like the "adopt as care dependent" option but the kid is actually transferred to your household as well.

Agreed, it would be cool if they could be transferred to the active household when that option is selected.
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member

I have Parenthood, which brings the "Adopt as Care Dependent" option - I use that for grandparents/older siblings quite frequently.

Agreed, it would be cool if they could be transferred to the active household when that option is selected.

That option is only there for sims in the same household, though. If you move sims between households they'll still have the care-dependent relationship, but you can't add it for sims that aren't in the same household.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    YES! This would be a perfect addition. In Sims 3 I had a gay couple that adopted all their kids and fostered a few others. The fostering was unofficial of course as I just added them into the household manually; a kid and at least 2 teens into the household. All in all it was 3 adopted children and if my memory serves me right, they fostered 4 kids over their lifetime. The last one became a YA just before they died.

I'd love to have this as an official option in the game where homeless teens can be fostered. I have at least 2 homeless game generated households that has only 1 teen each. I did have a third one whom I actually merge into another homeless household that contained one adult woman. Being able to have Sims foster kids from other households would be great. For instance, via the telephone or even by requesting a Sim in person to foster their kids for good or at a set amount of time.

I have recreated my Sims 3 gay couple in Sims 4. Well sorta. They don't have the same name, look, traits or the same ethnicity even but I like them anyway :smiley: They have already adopted a child and a toddler and will adopt again, either another toddler or a baby or even both. When the youngest grows up to a child their fostering will start and I think I will start with the homeless teens my game has generated.

But anyway. Yeah, fostering would be cool.
  • Options
    KafriahKafriah Posts: 16 Member
    I've done this too. I also have MCCC and my sims will sometimes get random siblings or sims I don't play have kids that don't live with them and I end up moving them all in together XD
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    We all know about adopting kids, but have you ever had your sims foster a kid? As in, moving in a child whose parents are about to die before they can get swooped up by the poorly developed child services in The Sims 4 (or placed randomly into a household if you have MCCC like I do).

I ended up doing this in my current generation. Shortly after my sim, Braylon, married his wife, Kiana, I noticed that she had a toddler brother, Loren, and that her dad had died, which meant her mom would soon be passing too. I felt bad for Loren being all alone, so I transferred him into my current sims' household, and figured I'd move him out when he was a teenager.

Loren is now a child, and surprisingly, I've become somewhat attached to the kid. The attachment grew after his reaction to his "foster" grandfather's death. He was devastated; I figure because he'd already lost two parents. He's also a kleptomaniac, which makes things even more interesting. He also fits in great with the other kids. Here's a photo of him and his foster brother (also his step-nephew), Christopher, playing basketball.

WExnfnV.png

MCC moved Casey Lynx-McConnell's little sister in with their dad after their mom died. I've been trying to set her up with Jake's cousin Dominic, but she apparently has a boyfriend. Dominic is the last remaining Parker alive and I think he's almost an elder! (Jake and his wife are five days away from becoming elders themselves and their son is going to be a father in a few sim-days!)
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    I did this with the younger half-siblings of two of the sims in my current save. I played a single mom who had twin boys with another sim I created and moved into a different neighborhood. It never ended up working out with the parents, and the dad ended up marrying and having children (also twins, but is one male, one is female) with another woman. When the dad and his wife died, MCCC moved the twins into two different households. When I learned this, I used manage households to move them in with their half-brothers, even though, by this point, their mother had died of old age and they were already raising their other two younger siblings. They were an interesting family to play.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    I did this in a family where the mom had both the insane and hates children trait. Her brother who lived in the same household also hated children. (I didn't choose the traits for them, they were born in game and got random traits because I wasn't playing the family when they had their birthdays.) I decided the kids would be better off in a loving family so I manually transferred them to a different household.
  • Options
    DasiyDasiy Posts: 27 Member
    I would like one my Sims 4 to run foster family for teenage and chidren but movement Sims 4 game update
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I move babies, toddlers, etc. Into households too to simulate foster care in my game. There is a mod, by the way, I haven't ever used it myself but in case anyone is interested

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/176877110693/foster-family-become-a-part-of-the-lms-foster/amp
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    I have a foster family I love to play. I move all my orphans or kids in less than ideal homes in with them. If you have parenthood and do the adopt as care dependent option, they will behave as the parents. I especially love the fact that when the kids grow up they will recognize their caregiver as a parent and family member. They wont show up in the family tree of course. My couple adopted the Villareal children. They all show up on holidays and visit regularly.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I have an orphanage in my game that I play with a wicked mean carer who runs the place.

I once had one of the other families I play go visit there and get to know some of the kids, then they chose to foster girl twins from there.
  • Options
    charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    > @sunblond said:
    > I move babies, toddlers, etc. Into households too to simulate foster care in my game. There is a mod, by the way, I haven't ever used it myself but in case anyone is interested
    >
    > https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/176877110693/foster-family-become-a-part-of-the-lms-foster/amp

I was thinking about this mod when I saw this post! I saw some game play on it and it seems like a fun addition for those who play with "foster" children.
  • Options
    CAMFAM2018CAMFAM2018 Posts: 23 Member
    > @CheesySimsLover said:
    > We all know about adopting kids, but have you ever had your sims foster a kid? As in, moving in a child whose parents are about to die before they can get swooped up by the poorly developed child services in The Sims 4 (or placed randomly into a household if you have MCCC like I do).
    >
    > I ended up doing this in my current generation. Shortly after my sim, Braylon, married his wife, Kiana, I noticed that she had a toddler brother, Loren, and that her dad had died, which meant her mom would soon be passing too. I felt bad for Loren being all alone, so I transferred him into my current sims' household, and figured I'd move him out when he was a teenager.
    >
    > Loren is now a child, and surprisingly, I've become somewhat attached to the kid. The attachment grew after his reaction to his "foster" grandfather's death. He was devastated; I figure because he'd already lost two parents. He's also a kleptomaniac, which makes things even more interesting. He also fits in great with the other kids. Here's a photo of him and his foster brother (also his step-nephew), Christopher, playing basketball.
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    > It would be cool if Sims had an actual "foster care" option.

@CheesySimsLover , I too think it would be neat for their to be a better Child Care type of system!

Especially for the Child Services in situations like when a toddler keeps glitching or simply won't do what they need to boost their needs and not get taken away by TS4 Child Services! I remember one time when I got particularly frustrated because in one of my households a toddler really needed help with several needs at a time and her dad tried to help, but things just kept colliding and I didn't want to use cheats. Unfortunately, the toddler was eventually taken by Child Services away from her father and twin brother, despite me trying so hard to help her. Now, although she does still appear on her father and brother's Simology, they cannot visit or even see her because she is not in the game anymore. 😢

I really wish there was someway parents or siblings could still visit kids even if they've been taken by TS4 Child Services. It would even be good if the kids who were taken would become adoptable so another family could raise them. Then, at least, they would still be in the game and playable.
    Does anybody else think that the Child Services in The Sims 4 could do with some improvement?
    😻CAMFAM2018
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member

WExnfnV.png

I don't know if you playing on console or opposed to mods but LittleMsSam has a foster family mod. I love it and use it to foster kids in games I play

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/176877110693/foster-family-become-a-part-of-the-lms-foster
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    I did this once in the Sims 3. My family took in a homeless teen. 3 days later...killed by his murphy bed. He would have been better off on the streets of Sunset Valley
  • Options
    foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    I read this thread and thought what a great idea! I used the Pancakes as foster parents (tweaked them and renamed Robert and Elizabeth Pearson) and they had Lucas Munch for a week over Christmas and they went to Selvadorada (or whatever its called) for a long weekend, and it was great fun for all of them. Now they have a baby of a sim I downloaded (with baby) who is very young, working full time and cant look after baby. Elizabeth wont leave the baby alone. I dont know how long they will have the baby (I play with ageing off) but its a revitalised my game so thank you!
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member

WExnfnV.png

What a cool idea! I'm going to start doing this I think. Not on my legacy family, because I move the spares out in childhood to the nearest relative so that I can concentrate on making sure all the childhood goals and personality traits I need for that generation are as complete as I can make them, but with my other save(s) I'm going to do your idea I think :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    There is a mod that allows one to do exactly that - be a foster parent. An EXCELLENT mod that I love to the bones. With that said - yes, that would be a neat base game feature. Wouldn't that be great to have THAT instead of that knitting pack?
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    If you have Parenthood you adopt as care dependent. I've done that in households where I placed a new adult to care for kids whose elderly parents died, or when I have a single parent get married. So, using that feature you can pretend to foster
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱