Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims' Life Hacks

Whats are your Sims 4 life hacks? What corner cutting ways do you have of making your sims life (or your gameplay) more efficent by creative use of objects, interactions, locations, aspirations and traits? It could be saving money, building careers or relationships, building lots, saving space etc.
No cheats, CC or MOO here.

Example: Once two Sims have had a couple of interactions, ask to cloudgaze is a great way building acquaintances to friendship relationships (speed 3 even more so) without having to click a string of interactions and without Sims continually walking away from each other.

Happy Simming

(NB: A life hack is a strategy or technique adopted in order to manage one's time and daily activities in a more efficient way.)

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    - Free will off is my number one sanity preserving and efficiency measure.

- No sinks. Hygiene gain is too slow, no need to waste time on that interaction. Plus sims had the annoying habit to queque the useless sink after toilet/pizza even without free will in the older games. Dishes can go into the trash (and later a dishwasher).
  • Options
    garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Example: Once two Sims have had a couple of interactions, ask to cloudgaze is a great way building acquaintances to friendship relationships (speed 3 even more so) without having to click a string of interactions and without Sims continually walking away from each other.

Nice! Did not know that.

Uhm, I use the expensive trashcan to get money back. Drag dishes and dirt from repairing stuff in it. I always switch from aspirations to get the most points. Toddlers must gain all their skills to the max en children all their aspirations to get max profit.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Options
    KeffersKeffers Posts: 984 Member
    Get your sim a girlfriend/boyfriend quickly for easy way to restore Fun and Social (Woohoo)
  • Options
    hadklaxhadklax Posts: 467 Member
    Yep. I use the switching aspirations and woohoo for fun hacks too ;)
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I think this is a glitch, but if you look for snow globes in a box in the city, your sims fun meater maxes out in an instant.

I also attend festivals to harvest the harvestables for a quick money grab, or if you can’t find a specific harvestable just buy it at the produce vendor in the city.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I also attend festivals to harvest the harvestables for a quick money grab, or if you can’t find a specific harvestable just buy it at the produce vendor in the city.

I usually go there for the dragonfruit. Harvesting the others for money is also useful, but the dragonfruit is great to plant on your lot.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    If I'm starting off a new sim I (almost) always start them somewhere with 3 fishing spots. I switch aspirations as I do whatever fits.. friend of the world to meet anyone, switch to jokestar and joke, switch to cooking to cook ect. They go gather in the area and hopefully get two frogs. I switch to fishing and hit the three fishing spots.. maybe lingering and doing up to the second level of that aspiration. Then I switch to collector aspiration and pull the stuff I've collected in and out of the inventory with whatever I have on hand that matches.. can go through quite a few levels if your lucky the first day. If there are multiple sims in the household I trade the inventory over and have them do most of the aspiration also. Then I buy a few rewards (always welcome and always friendly are favorites). Then my sim is ready to start life. They might focus more after that on aspirations meant just for them.
    I never give them a job right out of the box. I give them a few days to build up some reward points at least.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    These are great guys. I didnt see the max out fun for the snow globes! I liek aspirations idea too hermitgirl. I love getting the beloved trait from friend of the world aspirwtion. So much easier without rapidly falling relationships especially with ageing off. Another hack if you will haha.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,434 Member
    You don't need to buy a toddler chair in order to feed toddlers food, you can leave food on the counter and the toddler can reach up and grab it. Really useful when they're hungry and don't want to waste time picking them up and putting em in the high chair.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 2018
    If you have the Outdoor Retreat GP, cloud/stargazing is a much more efficient/faster way to get a Sim inspired then taking a thoughtful shower. As soon as the moodlet pops up, cancel the action and it'll stay active.

If you have a Sim using the woodworking table and again own Outdoor Retreat, once your Sim reaches Level 7 (or 8?) travel to the campgrounds and study the large Camp mascot statue for a schematic. That way instead of making bathtubs which take 1.5 hrs. each to make, they can make a smaller version of that statue in just 45 minutes! It cuts your Sims woodworking time in half and make about the same amount of simoleans as the bathtubs.

If you like to play Rags to Riches style, but want to make some fast simoleans, travel to Magnolia Promenade. The fishing spot at the end of the pier is great for reliably fishing up dragonfruit and voodoo dolls. Voodoo dolls sell for 950 simoleans. If you fish up a cowplant and don't want to grow one, don't just sell it for 20 simoleans, plant it first. Immediately go into buy/build mode and sell it there for 475 simoleans!

Want an easy way to cut down on your bills? Put all your collectibles you want to keep, but not display on a Generic lot. Other Sims won't go there or steal your stuff and anything on that lot doesn't count toward your Sims bills. Same goes for retail lots. Sometimes I'll plop my Sim down on an empty lot then immediately buy a retail lot and live there without ever opening the business. You can build to your hearts content and have super low bills! Build a mansion and only pay 33 simoleans a month! Cool eh? :)

I always build a bathroom near or next to the kitchen. That way if one of my culinary challenged Sims starts a fire cooking, they can run to the shower quicker to put themselves out.

My Sims homes rarely consist of more than one level. It saves time from having to go up and down stairs. I like an open floor plan too for the living and kitchen areas.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'll post again later if I think of anymore. Hope these are helpful! :)

EDIT: Thought of one more. Drinking water will fill your Sims hunger bar. Their bladder will go down quicker, but if you have a homeless Sim with no simoleans, no plants to harvest and no helpful platters of food cooked by other Sims around in a park, its a good way to fill their tummies in a pinch.

Also, as soon as I have all the appliances/electronics I want to keep, I upgrade everything. It takes a bit of time at first but will save heaps of time in the long run. Here's a hack for getting upgrade parts for free. Have them scavenge for parts from the trash pile you get when repairing something and then direct them to trash it. BUT, immediately cancel the action. They'll drop the bag and a new pile will be on the floor/ground. Scavenge for parts again, rince and repeat over and over. Voila! As many free parts as you wish.

It's a good idea to have the trash can far away from appliances though or sometimes you can't cancel the action quick enough.
    Post edited by Karababy52 on
  • Options
    Oh wow @karababy52 . You have aurpassed yourself there.The statue one is excellent and I use to do exactly the same thing with Magnolia Promenade when I had a sim who loved fishing.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 2018
    @hadklax Glad you found my post helpful, I tried. :) And yeah, that spot is great for Sims with the Angling Ace aspiration or just for fishing in general. It has a lot of rare fish available there. Love that spot for fishing, it just has SO much to offer!
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Grow at least one fruit or vegetable plant, and put the fruit or veggie in each Sim's inventory. It's a great between-meals snack that doesn't take as much time as a 'quick meal' and gives a Sim a powerful 'happy' moodlet. (Even toddlers can eat spinach or whatever out of their inventory. Just queue it up. Perfect for keeping the 'hangry' mood at bay or giving them a boost just before bed.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    edited May 2018
    Grow at least one fruit or vegetable plant, and put the fruit or veggie in each Sim's inventory. It's a great between-meals snack that doesn't take as much time as a 'quick meal' and gives a Sim a powerful 'happy' moodlet. (Even toddlers can eat spinach or whatever out of their inventory. Just queue it up. Perfect for keeping the 'hangry' mood at bay or giving them a boost just before bed.)

Was just thinking of saying this one myself! I find that toddlers in Sims are a real load of work, realistically, and sometimes I start panicking because I get the notification that they're hungry and could be taken away so I leave fruits, usually fitting ones like banana (plantains, but I prefer to see them as bananas) and strawberries in my toddler's inventory and then I have plenty of time to prepare food, get them sat down and feed them without it going into the red. Definitely a busy Sim mum life hack!
  • Options
    EpicSimsEpicSims Posts: 397 Member
    Wow I didn’t realize cloudgazing builds up a relationship faster.

For my game, I usually use that automatic trashbin (I don’t remember the name of it), so I can just drag empty plates or cups to clean around places. I find sims wiping out food and then putting the dishes away pretty time-consuming.

Another semi-life-hack I employ is to put a tissue roll on the wall next to a toilet in case our sims, who are with needs, wipe out you know what! :wink: For their hygiene.. xD Without a roll tissue on the wall, sims would probably have to find another way after they do number 2, which is inefficient when you think about it. Lol.

Nice thread!
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    EpicSims wrote: »
    Wow I didn’t realize cloudgazing builds up a relationship faster.

For my game, I usually use that automatic trashbin (I don’t remember the name of it), so I can just drag empty plates or cups to clean around places. I find sims wiping out food and then putting the dishes away pretty time-consuming.

@EpicSims if you let them scrape the food it's 10 simoleans then I cancel the interaction and drag the dishes to the can. I don't do it every time but if I catch the while scraping I will.
  • Options
    I've got one for the Simmers who like to use photos to capture their families. Invest in the most expensive camera and always take the largest picture. Now that we have the scale down cheat, they look really good when you change the size afterwards (the frame is slightly different than the defaut small pictures, but I feel it's acceptable), definitely better than the small pictures scaled up. It gives more possibilities.
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    I love this thread. Here's my first idea. I put in those fancy holographic game mats in bowling venues, arcades and even the karaoke places because they fill up the fun need so quickly. I work my career sims pretty hard so they often need a quick fun fix after work.

Also if you have a wealthy family and want to move out and play the grown up kids or roomies with simoleons in their pockets, put several virtuoso violins in their inventories. It gives them a nice nest egg.
  • Options
    PlumbobMeganPlumbobMegan Posts: 31 Member
    > @Keffers said:
    > Get your sim a girlfriend/boyfriend quickly for easy way to restore Fun and Social (Woohoo)

I do that if their fun is really low and i can't be bothered xD
    Check out my Youtube Channel
    Origin ID: X_LadyAzura_X (Changed it to PlumbobMegan) Search #PBMegan
  • Options
    @corkyspetals I'm always looking for helping my families grown up kids leave home with a decent sum of money. The violins are a good idea as are computer tablets.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    In Sims 3 the number one thing was two hot tubs (if you were playing a couple). Always.
    Because it was a great way to keep friends (which you needed to advance your careers).
    Invite 6 friends for a party, then spend the whole party in the hot tubs. Everyone was super happy, so party was a huge success. AND they spent hours doing nothing than social friendly interactions! It was a Win-Win.

In Sims 4 it works, but not as well.

As for hacks in 4: Clubs. Clubs clubs clubs. It forces sims to do your bidding and be happy about it!

What about a "Do nothing but homework and clean" club you stick your kid and all his or her friends in?
    Or a workout club.
    Or a writer's club.
    Or a wellness club.
    Or a painter's club.
    Or a sculpture club.

(The last two are money factories!)

Basically all clubs you have meetins with at home NEEDS one activity to be "clean".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    What I've started to do is using restaurants or vet clinics as vacation houses. You can create an actual small restaurant or vet clinic on the lot if you wish and then build a nice house surrounded by a fence with a locked portal. That way you can even earn money when you're on vacation but you don't have to, you can simply enjoy your second house!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • Options
    Always sale the time capsules without opening (unless you specifically looking for MySims Trophies, and don't really care about money). The time capsule is worth 70$, but every common figure is not worth even half of that. Uncommon one are woth basically the same money as the capsule itself, or a little less. Only the rare ones give profit, but well, they're rare - so there are bigger chances that you'll loose money by opening.
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    There are some really good suggestions in this topic.

On the Upgrading topic: I am a big fan of upgrading the cheaper objects. It doesn't seem to up your Bills like buying the more expensive items would. And sometimes I just want to have houses with more variety of objects, or a certain color, etc. But it does seem rather unrealistic to have a Handy Sim in every single household. So I made a retail shop that a Handy Sim owns. He sells all the objects that you can upgrade, all fully upgraded. There is a hefty markup, tho, 100%. :smirk: If I sell the shop, so that the items automatically restock after you leave the lot, they won't be upgraded. So I have to keep him as the owner, play his household and have him restock the items, then upgrade them. He can upgrade them instantly, since he has the reward you get from completing the Nerd Brain aspiration.

Another quick way to fill the Fun Need, if you have a dog, is to take them for even a short walk, or jog. Jogging kills two birds with one stone, as it builds Fitness. If your Sim doesn't have the Active trait or Gym Rat reward, Fitness can still be Fun.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I tend to prioritize looks over function, so upgrading is key.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek