Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I wouldn't mind in game ads if they put them on billboards and maybe in-game TV commercials?

I know that a big draw of mobile is ability to add in ads to get more money for the company. If The Sims 4's development cycle depends on it I wouldn't mind them creatively putting ads in the game with billboards or even the Sim's own TV commercials. Strangely, I would find it interesting. This is a life simulator after all and ads are everywhere we look! If the game needs another way to make money then I am not fully opposed to this ASL LONG as it wouldn't interfere with everyday gameplay. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    I think that is an awesome idea.... they could even add newspapers back and put some adds in them too.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited April 2018
    The Sims 4 is EA’s most profitable non-licensed game (meaning they don’t have to pay for the license on games like Star Wars or FIFA).

We know this because EA have told investors in financial conferences.

The thing is, we don’t know what kind of budget cuts EA are making. It may have nothing to do with how much the game is making. It may be cutting down resources that aren’t providing for the business.

As much as everyone on this forum loves to believe they know the ins and outs of what happens at EA, they don’t.

The Guru that has left EA (I won’t name names) was the lead designer for Expansion Packs. The last two Expansion Packs have come after 12 month intervals, very unusual for this franchise. *Perhaps* there were some creative differences that meant EA see this as a problem as they are the more expensive DLC and the type fans usually demand most.

It may have been a case of “step down from the role or leave” type is situation that happens a lot in the Entertainment industry.

Either way, I wouldn’t worry that the game isn’t making enough money. It’s probably more in relation to a specific thing and everyone has taken it as a broad “The game isn’t making money!”

Also, EA actually did this with the Urbz, they had Red Bull ads, Car dealer ads, phone carrier details, some real shop names etc. I can tell you it looks CHEAP and they do NOT stand the test of time. Seeing all these Simlish signs etc and then seeing English real life brands. It ruins the immersion that this is YOUR world.
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    Do you mean put real-life ads for real-life products in a real-life language in the computer game?

I don't think that's a good idea at all. Especially since I'm already paying for the game itself. Unless you are referring to a free game?

I'm fine with sim products from the sim world being advertised in Simlish. They already do that, though.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is EA’s most profitable non-licensed game (meaning they don’t have to pay for the license on games like Star Wars or FIFA).

The thing is, we don’t know what kind of budget cuts EA are making. It may have nothing to do with how much the game is making. It may be cutting down resources that aren’t providing for the business.

As much as everyone on this forum loves to believe they know the ins and outs of what happens at EA, they don’t.

SimGuruDaniel was the lead designer for Expansion Packs. The last two Expansion Packs have come after 12 month intervals, very unusual for this franchise. *Perhaps* there were some creative differences that meant EA see this as a problem as they are the more expensive DLC and the type fans usually demand most.

It may have been a case of “step down from the role or leave” type is situation that happens a lot in the Entertainment industry.

Either way, I wouldn’t worry that the game isn’t making enough money. It’s probably more in relation to a specific thing and everyone has taken it as a broad “The game isn’t making money!”

Also, EA actually did this with the Urbz, they had Red Bull ads, Car dealer ads, phone carrier details, some real shop names etc. I can tell you it looks CHEAP and they do NOT stand the test of time. Seeing all these Simlish signs etc and then seeing English real life brands. It ruins the immersion that this is YOUR world.

Yes I meant real life ads. They could even get creative and use simlish perhaps. I just want Sims 4 to have as much revenue as possible because I don't want to see the game's cycle end is all. I never really played Urbz but it always seems to get great reviews.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I dreamed a dream in times gone by where this was happening in City Living. But yeah, it should be adapted to the art style and in simlish.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Sorry but why would you want ads in a game you've at least paid $60 for? I would never buy a game that wants to throw ads on my face when I paid for it.
  • Options

SimGuruDaniel was the lead designer for Expansion Packs. The last two Expansion Packs have come after 12 month intervals, very unusual for this franchise. *Perhaps* there were some creative differences that meant EA see this as a problem as they are the more expensive DLC and the type fans usually demand most.

Yes I meant real life ads. They could even get creative and use simlish perhaps. I just want Sims 4 to have as much revenue as possible because I don't want to see the game's cycle end is all. I never really played Urbz but it always seems to get great reviews.

The Sims 4 brings EA the most revenue. Relax :)
  • Options
    @06Bon06 wrote: »
    Sorry but why would you want ads in a game you've at least paid $60 for? I would never buy a game that wants to throw ads on my face when I paid for it.

People are believing the hype that The Sims franchise is doomed on PC. Despite expanding it to console recently.

All it takes is to see how much the The Sims 4 has expanded in the last 6 months to know how well it’s doing. They don’t bring a dead game to more platforms.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

People are believing the hype that The Sims franchise is doomed on PC. Despite expanding it to console recently.

All it takes is to see how much the The Sims 4 has expanded in the last 6 months to know how well it’s doing. They don’t bring a dead game to more platforms.

I know but I still don't get why you'd want a company to make ad revenue from a game you bought. I just legitimately wonder if there will be another sims PC game since they seem to work pretty well on console. Maybe they want to switch completely to get rid of the system requirements problem.
  • Options
    PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I would mind. I loathe constant advertisements.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    The budget isn't really based around the profits, if you're thinking it's not making enough or something. I'm not sure what they base their budgets on, but profits get spread out across a bunch of EA properties, it doesn't all come right back to Maxis. So even if you did include ads (which would have to be converted into simlish and thus pretty pointless anyways, unless we're talking packs like Katy Perry lol), that wouldn't really reflect on a bigger budget down the line.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    The Ikea and H&M clothing tie-in packs were very popular when produced for Sims2. They had some good items.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member

Maybe its just not bringing enough from initial projections or targets. I mean the numbers of follow up sales from base purchases must be way down, I doubt a high percentage of people who initially purchased Sims 4 are still playing, so of those still playing is the percentage high enough for EA...
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    The Ikea and H&M clothing tie-in packs were very popular when produced for Sims2. They had some good items.
    True, both had some really nice objects/clothing. They can do something like that again with a brand of our choice.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Ads would be directed to me, not to sims in game. This game should be only about sims.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2018
    Omri147 wrote: »
    True, both had some really nice objects/clothing. They can do something like that again with a brand of our choice.

We, in the UK, also got some new Nissan cars via the UK forum free.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »

We, in the UK, also got some new Nissan cars via the UK forum free.
    Yeah, I even remember one instace where we got a licensed car in TS2, which could have been used even without Nightlife (as long as you had a newer pack than NL that is).

Optional objects for download like this are the best use of promotional material in The Sims in my opinon, though TS4 doesn't really do that with single objects, we usually get them in updates whether we like them or not.
  • Options
    MiSFiT203MiSFiT203 Posts: 278 Member
    edited April 2018
    i was about to just say this and walk away...
    EA sold in game advertising for billboards in burnout paradise, which i gotta say, really didnt bother me.

but decided to do a little reading first before i hit post comment, and now i say no. because once we start down that road it will only get worse and in time you will see ad everywhere. it might start off slow and add a few billboards to a game and we think nothing of it. but give it a few years and some success and next thing you know, there will be billboards everywhere.

i didnt feel it was abused in Burnout paradise, to be honest i really never payed them much attention, but i knew they were there. but it would never stay that way, greedy corporations just get greeedier and next thing you know all games will look like futuristic cities with mega skyscrapers and flying cars cause they need the billboard space to make it like times square to show you as many ads as possible. i'd rather keep that door closed.

perhaps i'm exagerating, but i dont trust them to keep the advertising to a minimum for long. whats to stop them from saying whats one more banner or poster or billboard, then another and another. we'd slowly get used to it til its all we see. so without any thought, i could see why a vote of yes could make sense, i almost did it. but after really thinking about the end result, it's an easy no.
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    We pay enough money for the game as it is. There shouldn't be any ads on billboards or the television in this game.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Real Life adds in a 60$ PC game?

Like mentioned before; we pay a LOT of money for DLC time after time again. They really do not need IRL in game adds.

Thanks but no thanks.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Ads in a game I paid for no thank you.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    Free stuff packs that have product endorsements sure why not they did that in Sims 2 and 3. However to buy them no thank you. Having English in my Sims game just throws it off.
  • Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    We had the Diesel stuff in sims 3 (seemed OK to me I NEEEEEEEDed men's clothes) I would be OK with this sort of advertising, if it got me the men's clothes I NEEEEEED again. otherwise NO
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    I never thought about it before, but if done properly, it could work. Although I see it more like some kind of easter eggs, so they should be rather recognizable brands, like Coca-Cola commercial, but in TS style and in Simlish.

IKEA and H&M are also good examples of not so intrusive ads.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    No. Nonononono. No. A million no's. Infinity no's.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World