Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't want Seasons. Please explain to me why YOU want them.

Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
No matter where I go, people are begging for a seasons pack for TS4. Not only here on the forums, but also in YouTube comments of ANY official trailer/promotional video, like the devs would actually read it. It's annoying me so much that I just have to ask:

Why seasons? What's so special about it? How would it influence the game so much?

The only seasons pack I ever owned was TS3 Seasons, and it was one of my least favorite ones because it seemed like it didn't add anything special to the game. The weather was more annoying than anything else.

Look, it's summer, I definitely want to go outside! - it starts to rain the whole day.
Oh, well...maybe tomorrow! - It continues to rain the next three days

I know I could have just turned off rain, but I wanted it to rain ON OCCASION, not every day.

Maybe it's because I live in a place where every season comes along throughout the year and things like snow in winter are not a rare thing to see. I'm tired of rain and snow in real life and I just LOVE summer because I'm not getting depressed like in winter. I just don't like it in The Sims to have the same 🐸🐸🐸🐸 weather I already have in real life.

Maybe they should add some really nice and NEW things in a Seasons Pack. Like actual snowboarding in the mountains, not tied to an object like in TS3 (btw, can someone please explain to me why I can buy a snowboard in TS3, when sims automatically get one while snowboarding anyway?)

What I just want to say in this post is that I don't understand this begging for seasons and I would like to have it explained. Seasons never added anything enjoyable for me to the game, no matter how hard i was looking for it.

ETA: I really don't know in which section this belongs to, so I just posted it into General Discussions for a start.
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    Mgalb wrote: »
    Personally I want seasons because I get tired of the same setting all the time
    i feel the same, but i think this should be included in the base game, not an expansion pack.
    there's a lot of interesting subjects and i dont think seasons is one of them, i prefer new things and new experiences so... yea. i would rather have a magic themed expansion pack than seasons.
  • Options
    Mgalb wrote: »
    Personally I want seasons because I get tired of the same setting all the time
    i feel the same, but i think this should be included in the base game, not an expansion pack.
    there's a lot of interesting subjects and i dont think seasons is one of them, i prefer new things and new experiences so... yea. i would rather have a magic themed expansion pack than seasons.

Seasons in the base game would definitely be a step in the right direction. The same with pets, so devs can concentrate more on actually interesting and new things instead of the same things all over again, because they "have to be there". Well, if they're so important, just put them in the base game. But I guess they know that these packs make lots of money, and they wouldn't want to miss out on that.

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    I think having basic weather/seasons in the base game is ideal.

I think seasons is a beloved addition to the game ... I personally wasn't entirely fond of Seasons either, though I am talking about TS2. I loved the addition and it was really cool, but I wasn't necessarily a "seasons" person. That being said, I did turn my town to go between Summer/Fall a lot. And I would also mimic the seasons as they were happening in real life. I'm in Canada, and we experience everything, so that was cool.

I want University more than I want Seasons though. But a majority of people seem to want Seasons. Hopefully EA can pull it off ... honestly, I would have more faith if Seasons was released as a GP rather than an EP. Their EP team seems to fail in a lot of ways, and the GP's - to me - have the best design and innovation.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    simlottesimlotte Posts: 56 Member
    I really want Seasons right now, because the weather or season we are stuck with for me is just a whole lot of nothing. I wouldn't even call it eternal summer or spring because it doesn't convey any spring or summery feeling, other than it doesn't snow or rain. I want my summer to really feel like summer. I want my sims to get too hot, to want to be at the sea or the pool, to get a tan/ sunburn. At the same time I love winter, so for me having all seasons fleshed out and implemented in the game would be a dream come true.

I have just become so bored by this generic nothingness of spring or summer, that's just nothing real at all.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,381 Member
    I want Seasons in The Sims 4 because I can't wait to see what the devs do with it. Overall, Seasons was probably my #2 choice of eps in Sims3 because it did add so much for me in my game. I dare anyone to go a day without checking what the weather is? :D Same in my sims games.

Besides, I had to suffer through the Pets ep so now how about giving us what many, many people have been clamoring for...Snow and Rain. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I love Seasons because it gives me all four weather types (winter, spring, summer & fall) and all the weather that comes with them (snow, rain, sun & leaves falling) with all the activities (snowball fights, gardening, sunning & leaf raking) along with the seasonal holidays (Christmas, Valentines Day, Forth of July, Halloween & Thanksgiving).

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Seasons and be happy with summer 24/7/365.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I love Seasons because it gives me all four weather types (winter, spring, summer & fall) and all the weather that comes with them (snow, rain, sun & leaves falling) with all the activities (snowball fights, gardening, sunning & leaf raking) along with the seasonal holidays (Christmas, Valentines Day, Forth of July, Halloween & Thanksgiving).

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Seasons and be happy with summer 24/7/365.

It's more that I don't really care if we get Seasons or not, it's never something I missed in a sims game. I would love to live in a place where snow doesn't exist and it's sunny throughout the year. The winter months are the worst of the whole year for me, I always feel gloomy and can't concentrate on anything. Now that spring is slowly coming along, I feel much better so maybe it's because of that that I'm not really fond of seasons in general, I wouldn't mind some weather effects though, like rain, as long as it is balanced and it doesn't rain 24/7 like in TS3.

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    I want Seasons because I'm tired of the never changing world. Its bad enough the world never changes backdrops never change unlike past games we cant change the worlds at all no matter how many generations you play everything remains the same with weather you could at least notice some change. Also seasonal activities does not hurt.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I'm actually one of the few not outspoken about really wanting Seasons. I'm sure it'll be great to have Seasons in TS4, but I could take literally anything else they throw my way that isn't a total bomb idea if Seasons still isn't coming, like more supernatural things! I understand Seasons can provide the necessary change in the increasingly static worlds of TS4 and provide the realistic aspects of dealing with the changing seasons, but if they bring back toggles and options as they did before, you can still have your eternal summer too.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    PlayPlay Posts: 704 Member
    I just want Seasons because these trailers are everything and I think it would look so good in The Sims 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uw0uQVoCyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5nTGm0j3Q

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,084 Member
    I'm not really a Seasons enthusiast. After the initial excitement I usual set my game for year round summer. I just like dressing my female sims in cute dresses and shorts and tops and that's not appropriate for cooler weather. :) I do like the season's related activities though. Raking leaves, making snow angels, building snowmen, etc. And the juicer from Sims 2. Still waiting for a juicer/smoothie maker.
  • Options
    I'm actually one of the few not outspoken about really wanting Seasons. I'm sure it'll be great to have Seasons in TS4, but I could take literally anything else they throw my way that isn't a total bomb idea if Seasons still isn't coming, like more supernatural things! I understand Seasons can provide the necessary change in the increasingly static worlds of TS4 and provide the realistic aspects of dealing with the changing seasons, but if they bring back toggles and options as they did before, you can still have your eternal summer too.

I definitely hope this will happen! Assuming a seasons pack will release, I hope I can atleast toggle off certain weather effects or seasons in chosen worlds. I wouldn't want snow in Oasis Springs or Willow Creek, it just doesn't fit these worlds at all. My hopes for options aren't really high though, as it seems like TS4 doesn't have it this much with options.

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I've never asked for it myself, but I can see why it's such a popular theme. Weather creates opportunities for more meaningful gameplay. The way things currently are, I make decisions completely randomly. When I'm deciding a lot to visit, it really doesn't matter which one. When my sim's fun need is low and I need to bring it up, it doesn't really matter how I choose to bring it up.

Introduce weather, and my decisions feel more important. Maybe when it's snowing, I'll have them stay in for a movie night. Maybe when it's raining, I'll visit my indoor lots, like a bar. When it's nice out, maybe I'll send them to the park for a jog. And when it's hot out, off to the pool. I'd love to be able to play that way because it'll keep me visiting all my lots and getting use out of all my packs, and it'll keep me from making mindless decisions like I do now.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    For me, weather adds variety to the game, not just in gameplay but in my visual experience. Changing seasons adds a stronger sense of time passage, especially when I'm playing with aging set at my choice not the game's. I'm dearly hoping for world differentiation in weather too, to add more richness to the world differentiation. And changing weather makes one same-old Sims day different from another same-old Sims day when I'm playing at a fairly mundane level, even if it's just doing that in the background. That affects my experience too, and makes it richer.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Because Halloween without Autumn is like playing emotions without Fear. Oh wait...

When you think about it, people in the Southern Hemisphere have Halloween in Spring and Christmas in Summer.

I'm in one of those areas where we don't see much snow (sometimes get a little bit of dusting on the surrounding peaks or you can drive 4 hours to get to the closest ski/snowboard areas), but it's not sunny all the time (we get our share of rain, like over last weekend). But I like Seasons because it does give a bit of a feeling of time actually passing. In the game currently the only time you feel like time is passing is when your Sims age up, but changing seasons also gives that same feeling, the progression of the year through the seasons with different weather and activities.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SihuSihu Posts: 73 Member
    I want seasons because even in real life sunny days are depressing to me. I love the sound of rain; it's so peaceful and relaxing. And snow is magical. And I live in Europe where I can experience every seasons but fall and winter are my favorites and I don't like summer and spring. Plus I feel like it's such an important part of our lives and of nature, it can bring so much life and atmosphere to the game by creating a different feeling for landscapes and bringing new activities related to seasons.
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    Realism and the ability to create new situations adapting to the weather is why I want them.
    The seasons give a different feel to the game if you ask me.
    To explain it with an example: me sitting on the couch in real life, eating cake and drinking coffee with the wood in the fireplace producing those typical crackling sounds on the background feels a lot cozier when it's snowing outside. Seasons in game sort of reproduce that feeling because I can relate to it as I imagine my sims feeling all warm inside when they have the fireplace burning bright as it is freezing outside.
    I alter my gameplay a bit when there is weather in game, making the most of each season (having a lot of pool party's in the summer, put some burgers on that grill).
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,493 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Because Halloween without Autumn is like playing emotions without Fear. Oh wait...

When you think about it, people in the Southern Hemisphere have Halloween in Spring and Christmas in Summer.

Yes, I'm sure they have a very different experience of the various holidays than I do. Many areas of the world also don't even celebrate Halloween. Blasphemy! (Haha :p )

Since I live in New England where we do celebrate Halloween in the Autumn, I gave my own personal reasons for wanting seasons. (And a Fear emotion.) :)

#Team Occult
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I couldn't care less for Seasons in terms of weather. In almost any game I've ever played that has weather, all it ever does is cause excess lag/performance issues.

I am super curious what will be in it besides the weather, though. But yeah, weather generally just drops the fps for no good reason. I'll turn it off or back to always spring/summer if that's possible.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    ReisJewelReisJewel Posts: 22 Member
    I actually never really thought about it. I guess people rave so much about Seasons because for TS3 it came out pretty fast while for TS4 we're 4 years in and still no seasons but thinking about why I would want Seasons, the answer is: I don't :D

Yeah, in TS3 there wasn't much going on other than annoying weather changes and sims looking out the window when it rained or getting sunburns in summer if they spent too much time outside. I never got to try the snowboard thing because the game was always so laggy. The only cool thing I thought was sims opening their umbrellas if it was raining and they had one in their backpack.

I remember in TS2 when they introduced Seasons, they added gardening and greenhouses, I loved that so much. That would probably be one thing I would bring back: greenhouses and glass roofs. It had much more impact than TS3.
    Origin ID: ReisJewel | My Sims Blog | "Homescapes" Challenge Group: coming soon
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    ReisJewel wrote: »
    I actually never really thought about it. I guess people rave so much about Seasons because for TS3 it came out pretty fast while for TS4 we're 4 years in and still no seasons but thinking about why I would want Seasons, the answer is: I don't :D

Sims 3 Seasons came out just over 3 years into Sims 3. We're 3 and a half years into Sims 4.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    No matter where I go, people are begging for a seasons pack for TS4. Not only here on the forums, but also in YouTube comments of ANY official trailer/promotional video, like the devs would actually read it. It's annoying me so much that I just have to ask:

Why seasons? What's so special about it? How would it influence the game so much?

The only seasons pack I ever owned was TS3 Seasons, and it was one of my least favorite ones because it seemed like it didn't add anything special to the game. The weather was more annoying than anything else.

Look, it's summer, I definitely want to go outside! - it starts to rain the whole day.
    Oh, well...maybe tomorrow! - It continues to rain the next three days

I know I could have just turned off rain, but I wanted it to rain ON OCCASION, not every day.

Maybe it's because I live in a place where every season comes along throughout the year and things like snow in winter are not a rare thing to see. I'm tired of rain and snow in real life and I just LOVE summer because I'm not getting depressed like in winter. I just don't like it in The Sims to have the same plum weather I already have in real life.

Maybe they should add some really nice and NEW things in a Seasons Pack. Like actual snowboarding in the mountains, not tied to an object like in TS3 (btw, can someone please explain to me why I can buy a snowboard in TS3, when sims automatically get one while snowboarding anyway?)

What I just want to say in this post is that I don't understand this begging for seasons and I would like to have it explained. Seasons never added anything enjoyable for me to the game, no matter how hard i was looking for it.

ETA: I really don't know in which section this belongs to, so I just posted it into General Discussions for a start.

I can see why living in a place that's almost always cold or has snow would be tiresome. myself would hate too much snow. But ponder this, somewhere, there is someone who lives in a hot climate and is wishing for snow. Life is odd sometimes.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2018
    I agree they went a bit overboard with rain in Sims 3 (what are the creators, Dutch? Irish? :p ). But weather as such, I love that in the game (so I accept the rain, I love the snow and when I'm fed up with the rain I simply disable it for a while; it's nice how you can select what type of weather you do or don't want). Not only does weather in the game contribute to the atmosphere, it deepens the experience. Like the life of my homeless sim wouldn't have been the same experience if he'd always had sunny days. Rain, freezing, snow, that time he was struck by lightning, it all made his life much more interesting. I really felt his need to find a proper place to spend the nights at wintertime.
    5JZ57S6.png