Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patience is definitely a virtue... One I lack

Comments

• Options
    VriyayaVriyaya Posts: 32 Member
    [quote="JoAnne65;c-16428119"]I just really can’t imagine finding it difficult to play when you’re really having fun with what you have going on in your current game. Isn’t that sort of... a testomy of in fact being somewhat bored? .[/quote]

Not really? It could just be a matter of not wanting to advance your storyline or develop your characters or start a new family without having access to features that are coming out soon. That's how I've always been with sims games.

As for not being able to imagine why someone might feel that way.. well.. I can't imagine why some people like dark chocolate, I think it's gross. But it doesnt really give me the right to try and invalidate the feelings of those who do.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    trying to understand why some people feel the way they do is like trying to find out what the number nine smells like
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I just really can’t imagine finding it difficult to play when you’re really having fun with what you have going on in your current game. Isn’t that sort of... a testomy of in fact being somewhat bored? How can you have big fun and enjoy yourself, then suddenly find yourself quiting just because in June it’s going to rain or snow in your game or your sim will be able to go to university? If that knowledge alone stops you from enjoying the game all together.... no, I really have no idea how that works. I’m having fun playing or not and when excitement over something that isn’t there yet would make me stop wanting to play, it would make me wonder if I’m enjoying myself then in the first place. Apparently my enjoyment depends on the upcoming stuff then. In the past packs even had to wait at one point (when we got 3 EP’s a year) because I was in the middle of something and there was no room for the new stuff in my sims’ story.

@JoAnne65 like you still wouldn't be on the edge of your seat if sims 3 was still getting new packs
    and the fact that your talking about people bored with sims 4 might mean your bored with sims 3 I think you might be projecting your feelings on to others
    I said nothing about not liking new packs being added? I was reacting to a post about the wish they’d announce an upcoming pack at an earlier stage. When people say they don’t want that because they find it difficult to continue playing without the promised features they know they’re going to get, that means... I seriously don’t even know what it means to be honest. How does knowing you’ll get witches in november (for instance) stands in the way of enjoying your game without them now? I don’t really understand the leap to me projecting because I’d be bored with Sims 3 by the way, when I’m still playing the game 4 years after the last thing was added to it, seems a bit far-fetched in a “you tell me I’m bored well then I’ll tell you YOU are bored ha” kind of way ;) I can assure you I’d be jumping up and down if they’d announce a brand new pack this summer, but it in no way would affect the fun I have with my adventuring sim I play right now. I just don’t understand the connection of knowing new stuff will come in relation to having difficulty playing what you do have. Because I in fact completely don’t recognize that from the past. And since Sims 2 players are praising the leaflets that would announce upcoming packs in the future, I take it I’m not the only one (or @graventhe ).

So that’s the only thing I adressed: the timing of an announcement, not people looking forward to new content. Of course that’s fun, if there’s one thing I miss as an old version player, it’s that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    BoredinTX wrote: »
    I imagine I'm not the only one feeling impatient for new Sims news. I even had a dream that they announced a pack. When do y'all think we'll get an announcement for something?

No you are not the only one, and since the last news was the release of that shameful SP, i must say that this is not a good time to keep quiet. People was starting to trust in their content even me, and then they release my first pet :grimace: ,and after that i long period of licence, no, not a good thing at all.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,060 Member
    I just really can’t imagine finding it difficult to play when you’re really having fun with what you have going on in your current game. Isn’t that sort of... a testomy of in fact being somewhat bored? How can you have big fun and enjoy yourself, then suddenly find yourself quiting just because in June it’s going to rain or snow in your game or your sim will be able to go to university? If that knowledge alone stops you from enjoying the game all together.... no, I really have no idea how that works. I’m having fun playing or not and when excitement over something that isn’t there yet would make me stop wanting to play, it would make me wonder if I’m enjoying myself then in the first place. Apparently my enjoyment depends on the upcoming stuff then. In the past packs even had to wait at one point (when we got 3 EP’s a year) because I was in the middle of something and there was no room for the new stuff in my sims’ story.

@JoAnne65, What I said has been my experience for the last 18 years. Not just for the Sims 4. It might not make sense to you but it has nothing to do with my current enjoyment of the game. Not everyone is going to have the same outlook as you so stop trying to tell me how I should feel about my game.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Vriyaya wrote: »
    I just really can’t imagine finding it difficult to play when you’re really having fun with what you have going on in your current game. Isn’t that sort of... a testomy of in fact being somewhat bored? .

Not really? It could just be a matter of not wanting to advance your storyline or develop your characters or start a new family without having access to features that are coming out soon. That's how I've always been with sims games.

As for not being able to imagine why someone might feel that way.. well.. I can't imagine why some people like dark chocolate, I think it's gross. But it doesnt really give me the right to try and invalidate the feelings of those who do.

Exactly. And for my playstyle, one family only, it's not simply a matter of switching to a different family.

And I hate dark chocolate also. :)
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited April 2018
    I thought we'd have at least the April patch by now... :|
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    tbh i couldn't care less. this era is dead for me. the only thing im impatient for is elder scrolls 6.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Good points :smile:

In the early days of The Sims there was excitement before a new EP launched but by TS3 I was mostly satisfied with a pack that I did not need to rush out and buy the latest one straight away. Good gameplay should not have reliance on new content every few weeks. In the old days we only got one new EP every six months so apart from some free stuff online there was never a culture of reliance to keep the game interesting just because something new had been added. I didn't even bother with the Store Content until after TS3 was 'finished' and I don't own all the Store now.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

In the early days of The Sims there was excitement before a new EP launched but by TS3 I was mostly satisfied with a pack that I did not need to rush out and buy the latest one straight away. Good gameplay should not have reliance on new content every few weeks. In the old days we only got one new EP every six months so apart from some free stuff online there was never a culture of reliance to keep the game interesting just because something new had been added. I didn't even bother with the Store Content until after TS3 was 'finished' and I don't own all the Store now.

Exactly my point. I'm in no hurry for new content or even news of new content.
  • Options
    BoredinTXBoredinTX Posts: 350 Member

I understand how you feel. I'm glad you are enjoying your gameplay and everyone's gameplay is different. The Sims is great about allowing different styles of how you play the game. I change families every few months.
    Before, there was SO much that you could get lost in a feature and be totally immersed. While by absolutely no means do I think TS4 is a bad game, there is just something missing for me. Everyone says go back to 3 but my computer won't run it.

Like I said before, I like having something to look forward it is what keeps me going. And not just in the Sims either. Announcements are therapeutic for me. lol
  • Options

I understand how you feel. I'm glad you are enjoying your gameplay and everyone's gameplay is different. The Sims is great about allowing different styles of how you play the game. I change families every few months.
    Before, there was SO much that you could get lost in a feature and be totally immersed. While by absolutely no means do I think TS4 is a bad game, there is just something missing for me. Everyone says go back to 3 but my computer won't run it.

Like I said before, I like having something to look forward it is what keeps me going. And not just in the Sims either. Announcements are therapeutic for me. lol

I'm sorry Sims 3 won't work for you. :/ I have 3 and 2 installed and play them both.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    tbh i couldn't care less. this era is dead for me. the only thing im impatient for is elder scrolls 6.

Well have fun waiting a good long while...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    BoredinTXBoredinTX Posts: 350 Member

I'm sorry Sims 3 won't work for you. :/ I have 3 and 2 installed and play them both.

I have a Mac and they don't work great with other iterations of the game unfortunately :|
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    edited April 2018
    I am so disappointed with not having a teaser this quarter. D: I like looking forward to new content and the fun speculation that goes with them!

I am the kind of person that just wants more, more, MORE to do with my Sims! I own every pack and unless a pack with a truly awful theme (in my own opinion) comes out, I will continue to buy packs simply because my different Sims enjoy doing different things from each other. The more choice the better! I also love decorating and expanding my Sims homes over time as they earn money so the more items I have to choose from, the better.

ANYWAY, I have very little patience when left in the dark and I greatly dislike being left in the dark. I don't see what is so bad about letting current and potential future players know what's coming down the pipeline.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    So after a SP following a GP players are still 'waiting for something new'

I know it is fun to speculate future content but it is worrying that players are still waiting for packs just to make TS4 feel more fulfilled after nearly four years
    Being the most useless stuff pack ever full of recolors and a horribly themed game pack did not help this problem at all. Unless you seriously love exploring or standing in front a cage and interacting with a object these last two packs were as exciting as the baby object and exploring we had since base game.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

I know it is fun to speculate future content but it is worrying that players are still waiting for packs just to make TS4 feel more fulfilled after nearly four years

People would get impatient when The Sims 3 store wasn’t updated on time, let alone new packs.

A game could be the best game ever and people will always want more content.

That’s gaming in a nutshell. It would be more worrying if people didnt care for Sims news.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

People would get impatient when The Sims 3 store wasn’t updated on time, let alone new packs.

A game could be the best game ever and people will always want more content.

That’s gaming in a nutshell. It would be more worrying if people didnt care for Sims news.

yes its when people aren't wanting news that's bad
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member

Well have fun waiting a good long while...

i have faith in jesus
  • Options

@JoAnne65, What I said has been my experience for the last 18 years. Not just for the Sims 4. It might not make sense to you but it has nothing to do with my current enjoyment of the game. Not everyone is going to have the same outlook as you so stop trying to tell me how I should feel about my game.
    Bottomline is still that you say you’re not able to enjoy the game at one point anymore isn’t it? That it apparently doesn’t offer enough at that moment. And sure, there may be a very good reason for that than “I’m bored” but I can’t think of one, that’s all I said. I’m not telling you how you should feel about the game, you were.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    Soon™

The most aggravatingly perfect response. LOL.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Bottomline is still that you say you’re not able to enjoy the game at one point anymore isn’t it? That it apparently doesn’t offer enough at that moment. And sure, there may be a very good reason for that than “I’m bored” but I can’t think of one, that’s all I said. I’m not telling you how you should feel about the game, you were.

No, that is not the bottom line. At no point did I say I was unable to enjoy the game. I said that I prefer not to play while waiting for new content. This does not imply a lack of enjoyment. One can enjoy something and still be able to delay participation. It's called delayed gratification.

Delayed Gratification: the process that the subject undergoes when the subject resists the temptation of an immediate reward in preference for a later reward.

The immediate reward would be to continue playing. The later reward is playing with the new content.

I usually spend that time making plans on how to integrate the new content into my existing gameplay, participating in speculations and discussions of the new content, etc.

Another weird simming habit I've had forever is even after new content is released I delay playing for a couple of days. It sort of builds up the anticipation. I'm sure you'd be able to find a negative spin on that also.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Options

No, that is not the bottom line. At no point did I say I was unable to enjoy the game. I said that I prefer not to play while waiting for new content. This does not imply a lack of enjoyment. One can enjoy something and still be able to delay participation. It's called delayed gratification.

Delayed Gratification: the process that the subject undergoes when the subject resists the temptation of an immediate reward in preference for a later reward.

The immediate reward would be to continue playing. The later reward is playing with the new content.

I usually spend that time making plans on how to integrate the new content into my existing gameplay, participating in speculations and discussions of the new content, etc.
    You said “As soon as new content is announced I find it difficult to play“, being too distracted and excited about what’s coming. When you find something difficult to do, how are you still enjoying it? I’m genuinely wondering that (apparently it was the same for the former versions for you where they did announce stuff months in advance). When you are finding it difficult to play, isn’t that the same as not enjoying it anymore? It’s a question. I wasn’t telling you how you feel, I was asking.
    Isn’t that sort of... a testomy of in fact being somewhat bored? How can you have big fun and enjoy yourself, then suddenly find yourself quiting just because in June it’s going to rain or snow in your game or your sim will be able to go to university? If that knowledge alone stops you from enjoying the game all together.... no, I really have no idea how that works
    That post is filled with question marks and an ‘I have no idea how that works’ (so in fact not telling you how you feel, just asking). I did assume you weren’t enjoying the game at that point anymore, so that may have been me misinterpreting “I find it difficult to play”. Again, nowhere am I implying you’re not enjoying Sims 4. My confusion just involves finding it difficult to play (but still enjoying then?) a game, any game, when you know what will be added to it in a couple of weeks/months.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

You said “As soon as new content is announced I find it difficult to play“, being too distracted and excited about what’s coming. When you find something difficult to do, how are you still enjoying it? I’m genuinely wondering that (apparently it was the same for the former versions for you where they did announce stuff months in advance). When you are finding it difficult to play, isn’t that the same as not enjoying it anymore? It’s a question. I wasn’t telling you how you feel, I was asking.
    Isn’t that sort of... a testomy of in fact being somewhat bored? How can you have big fun and enjoy yourself, then suddenly find yourself quiting just because in June it’s going to rain or snow in your game or your sim will be able to go to university? If that knowledge alone stops you from enjoying the game all together.... no, I really have no idea how that works
    That post is filled with question marks and an ‘I have no idea how that works’ (so in fact not telling you how you feel, just asking). I did assume you weren’t enjoying the game at that point anymore, so that may have been me misinterpreting “I find it difficult to play”. Again, nowhere am I implying you’re not enjoying Sims 4. My confusion just involves finding it difficult to play (but still enjoying then?) a game, any game, when you know what will be added to it in a couple of weeks/months.

No. For me difficulty does not equate to a lack of enjoyment.

As for past versions, I may be wrong, but I don't recall as much hype for new content, teasers, trailers, live streams, etc. We'd get a flyer in the current release which introduced the new release but little actual information about gameplay until closer to the release date. At which point I would usually stop playing. I didn't go for 6 months without playing. If I did that I'd never play. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2018

No. For me difficulty does not equate to a lack of enjoyment.

As for past versions, I may be wrong, but I don't recall as much hype for new content, teasers, trailers, live streams, etc. We'd get a flyer in the current release which introduced the new release but little actual information about gameplay until closer to the release date. At which point I would usually stop playing. I didn't go for 6 months without playing. If I did that I'd never play. :)
    I must say by the way that I never really followed any news very closely regarding upcoming content myself either. I knew what was coming, but not much more than the title and the theme of the pack and what it would basically be about. So in that respect I think we might not be that far apart in behaviour, even when I never actually stopped playing. I just played, heard a new pack would come and then I’d preorder and continue playing ;)
    5JZ57S6.png