Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you choose careers for your sims?

So how do you?

I try to be realistic and give them a career that suits their traits (eg. they become an athlete only if they have the active trait). But what if a sim doesn't have traits that are obvious to any career? What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I either have some story for them and choose a career, or choose what appears in thinking cloud when they call to find a job (in some cases that's something what they would like to do).
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    It depends... Mostly I just think of their personalities and what would suit them... I wouldn't put a lazy sim in the fitness career :''D
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    If there's nothing in their trait, I pick something I haven't done yet.
  • Options
    MeishakMeishak Posts: 28 Member
    I choose based on the story I'm telling or just at random(like numbering the careers 1-11 for example then using a random number generator online to tell me what to pick).
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,063 Member
    edited March 2018
    calaprfy wrote: »
    So how do you?

I try to be realistic and give them a career that suits their traits (eg. they become an athlete only if they have the active trait). But what if a sim doesn't have traits that are obvious to any career? What would you do?

this order
    Trait
    Aspiration (than require a specific career)
    Aspiration (than require a skill, and that skill is also required for lower or all levels of a carrer)
    Skills
  • Options
    SimSaraSimSara Posts: 534 Member
    If it's not obvious then I will go by their backstory/aspiration or just pick a career that I think is more generic such as the business or nursing career.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Honestly, I usually base it on their appearance. If they're muscular, I'll give them an athletic career. If they look kind of nerdy, I'll give them a computer related career. :D

But it can also be based on their family. If I have more that one toddler, I give the parents one of the stay at home careers.
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I used to randomly generate a number and choose with that, but sometimes, since my Sims are mostly based on fictional characters, I look at what job they have in their respective canon and choose something based on that. Or I go by their personalities. (This is especially difficult in Pokemon, since most of them are Pokemon trainers and nothing else.)
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Depends on the story for the sim I don't always give traits that would be best for a career, and sometimes with that I may cheat skills while I don't mind the growing sometimes I picture sims as being more prepared for life.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    Kiara_kittenKiara_kitten Posts: 52 Member
    If im honest, i don't think it maters. Their trait might make them better at their work, or give them more of a promotion chance sooner, but i don't think it realy makes a difference. But, as it's been said, above, a lazy person might get a negative moodlet from being in the athlete career. However, if someone has the computer whiz ASPIRATION then it would be good to hire them as a tech guru, or a bodybuilder as an athlete, and so on, but i don't really think traits make a difference.

I hope i was useful
    Goobai
  • Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    If their traits don't directly point to a career then I pick from what they've skilled into during their teenage years. High logic and fitness? Astronaut. Lots of logic and charisma? Spy. That kind of thing.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I just chose career for Caleb and it went like this: First I looked at his traits and noticed he is a foodie, so I made a mental note about culinary career. Then I clicked find a job on his phone and browsed down the list to check other options. I thought the the culinary career working hours might be bad for him, because he would have to work at night and then couldn't go out during the day. Social media career seemed like another option that might suit him. I checked career guides really quick if there were any nice job rewards... not really. Then I thought how fun it would be if Caleb went for the public relations branch and became a representative of vampires. That was it. :)
  • Options
    singingwritingsingingwriting Posts: 26 Member
    I base it a lot on the aspirations I pick for them or if I haven't tried that career before and think it would be cool to do now. You could also see what the sim does autonomously and base it on that.
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I must admit, I rarely have a sim who doesn't have any traits that would be fitting for a certain career. The only sim I can think of now is Alyssa, the one in my avi, who is an astronaut without any obvious traits for this (except for geek, but that could also fit the programmer career). I think I've just chosen this career because I haven't tried it yet. I also sometimes choose based on their aspiration because some of them require you to get a certain level in a specific career.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I have all kinds of storylines planned out for my Sims. I have most of their lives all planned out before they’re even born. Sometimes it’s all subject to change, but what they do with their life all comes down to the story I’ve chosen for them, which usually just comes naturally to me. Nothing quite determines it for me.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Usually depends on the traits but I'm a stickler for having an evil sim also in law enforcement or politician.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I was assigning jobs to neighborhood sims I added just the other night (so that they wouldn't be selected for bartending jobs, etc), and my process was basically just me looking at their appearance and picking what I thought fit them.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Even if their traits don't lend themselves to a particular job over another, there's usually some sort of 'vibe' I get from them that leads me in one direction or another. Like there are people more inclined to get an arts degree or science degree? Well it's the same for a job. Most writers wouldn't be scientists, vice versa. It can be a lot of factors, from their looks, to where they live, and so on that guide me.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    PinklixtyPinklixty Posts: 37 Member
    I really just depends on how your Sim is like. A good Sim wouldn't be a criminal, like a bad Sim would not be a detective.
  • Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    Pinklixty wrote: »
    I really just depends on how your Sim is like. A good Sim wouldn't be a criminal, like a bad Sim would not be a detective.

My bad sims love being detectives.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Pinklixty wrote: »

I have two good sims that are great Oracles.
  • Options
    lachlan0604lachlan0604 Posts: 5 New Member
    I only have cats and dogs so i don't have much choice lol (I spend most of my time in the sims3).
  • Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    It really depends on the sims. Some sims that I've created in previous games will have the same or very similar careers as they had in previous games. As for others it really depends on what I want them to have. Many sims get stuck in the business career and not promoting past the first 2 or 3 spots. Some that I made elaborate backstories with get the higher promoted careers.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Thanks, folks. Some great responses there.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    An Active career builds up lots of skills quickly.

A creative career can produce lots of books or music that will produce royalties long after you quit.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.