Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Are Your "Bad Simming Behaviors"?

With "bad simming behaviors", I mean things that you do in your games that hinder you in getting out the best of the game's content. For me, it's the fact that I always, since TS3, think up the story of my sims before I even created them, thus leading to my playstyle to only follow this particular story. It can be fun when you finally get to that story, but the time in between can be really boring and dull. The problem with this playstyle is that it has no real surprises that just happen to let the game stay fresh, so I am really often bored when I don't play out a story-line.

What are your bad habits which can make the game boring to you, even though you have much content to choose from?
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    I think one of my bad simming habits is that I have trouble marking families in my legacy as not-played so that I can focus on the families I actually want to play.

I just seem to want to manage them all, but honestly, I give up playing a lot of games because there's too many households in my rotation to manage. If I just set a few of them to not-played then I may stick with it for longer. But I struggle with it.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I use live mode more for testing builds and game things than actually playing out Sims lives for their own sake, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited March 2018
    kemisz wrote: »
    I think one of my bad simming habits is that I have trouble marking families in my legacy as not-played so that I can focus on the families I actually want to play.

I just seem to want to manage them all, but honestly, I give up playing a lot of games because there's too many households in my rotation to manage. If I just set a few of them to not-played then I may stick with it for longer. But I struggle with it.

Yeah that's something I also know too well. In one of my saves, I have like 15 played households. I also thought about just marking them as unplayed but I have plans for all of them xD

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    Sounds weird, but I try and leave things untouched in the neighbourhoods/worlds. By that, I mean that if I play a pre-made family, I try not to drastically change anything. The reason is that I feel like I might do something, not be happy with it later on and then not know how to reset the neighbourhood/world. So, by and large, I create my own families and play in a bizarrely insular way.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    I always want my sims to have lots of children and when they do, it becomes so overwhelming or stressful I give up playing. It isn't fun just playing a couple or a couple with one or two kids, but I definitely got to try to stop my sims from having so many kids. I have a family now who has 1 kid, 6 toddlers and 5 dogs. That is not a lot for how many I usually have.
  • Options
    TiaDogTiaDog Posts: 79 Member
    For me, I will have just a happy couple (maybe with kids/pets) then I will make them cheat on some random person, and ruin the couple. It happens about 98% to my families.
    Sims Games I like to play - Sims 2 / Sims Medieval / Sims 2 Pets ( Wii ) / MySims / MySims Kingdom ( Wii )
    i-like-to-be-alone-but-i-hate-being-lonely-quote-1.jpg
  • Options
    TiaDog wrote: »
    For me, I will have just a happy couple (maybe with kids/pets) then I will make them cheat on some random person, and ruin the couple. It happens about 98% to my families.

Well your game seems to be much more interesting than mine then :D

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    RevenwynRevenwyn Posts: 317 Member
    For me, without fail, every time I try to add kids into a family (even just one) it just kills the game for me. But I don't like kids IRL either.
    Like my T-shirt? Get it here: Revenwyn's Sims

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I have a rich family and their teenage daughter doesn't live with them but they gave her money to live off of.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    Routinely refusing social invitations and just barely ever going out socially, always doing things at home, and ignoring self-care beyond basic necessities. In the two saves I'm playing now I'm avoiding those habits :smile: In one of them self-care activities and weekly outings are requirements for the challenge. I'm sure I have other bad simming habits but those are the ones that come to mind atm.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I chronically and compulsively restart my households. This means that more often or not I don't get to those late-stage life goals.
  • Options
    Bad_AppleBad_Apple Posts: 16 Member
    I spend more time in CAS than actually playing the game haha. I also have a terrible habit of starting too many new households and never playing as them, mainly because I hate building my own houses and editing houses built by other simmers.
    <3
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I'm too goal-oriented, if that makes sense. I can never last very long playing casually, before I get right into skill building, career grinding, and aspiration completions. I effectively turn every sim I play into a "super sim" after not too long... and I really wish I could stop doing it but I can't help it :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I'm too goal-oriented, if that makes sense. I can never last very long playing casually, before I get right into skill building, career grinding, and aspiration completions. I effectively turn every sim I play into a "super sim" after not too long... and I really wish I could stop doing it but I can't help it :D

Same. If I'm not testing a build, this is generally what I'm doing. I like maxing out everything, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    JurassicKingJurassicKing Posts: 63 Member
    I make every action for my Sims for them, so they have no free will. Then again when they do, all they ever do is read books...
    maxresdefault.jpg

I have a son lightspeeeeeed!
  • Options
    I make every action for my Sims for them, so they have no free will. Then again when they do, all they ever do is read books...

I did the same until now, now I have free will but it's disabled for the active sim. However, I'm thinking about completely disabling it again because the autonomous choices of these sims are just terrible :D

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I'm a massive micromanager. I strive to have my sims complete their aspirations, top their careers, and bring in the next generation of sims so the cycle can begin all over again. The only leisure time my sims get is between goals or after they've completed everything I've set out for them to do. My sims generally don't have social lives as a result and I miss out on a more relaxed style of gameplay due to my controlling tendencies.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited March 2018
    I get angry when my sims don't do stuff exactly as I say, but I refuse to turn free-will off because I don't want to worry about one of them starving in a corner forgotten somewhere (I always worry that they will accidentally kill themselves on me). It can lead to some frustration on my end.
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    My newly-weds had a baby out of wedlock. They were neighbors in the same apartment complex and one thing lead to another, and two dates later, they ended up having a son! Her boyfriend- now husband- moved in with her when she was almost in her third-trimester. Their son is now a toddler!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    I can't stand randomly generated townies so I spend easily more than half of my playtime editing their appearance with the Cas.fulleditmode cheat. Even though sometimes I feel proud of the makeovers I do, I often run out of ideas and it starts to feel like a chore. But I just can't deal with random townies with ugly clothing roaming around my neighborhoods.
  • Options
    I_Wanted_To_Be_EdgyI_Wanted_To_Be_Edgy Posts: 186 Member
    I end up building houses, taking organizing and editing pose sets, writing stories, making more sims for stories and doing everything else but....actually playing the game, which is why I made another save in hopes that I'd just play that one mostly and leave the creative stuff to my main babies. Nope.....poses for the second save for days and days. I can't help it. I need to document my sim's lives in some way I guess,
    giphy.gif

I only played with you, string between a kitten's mitts.

Origin ID: Azaylia
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I spend more time in build mode but I do play TS4 more than I have the other three of the series all together.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I have dropped all my bad habits but mine were

-preferring my own lots , but being too lazy , uninspired to build.
    now ive started building again and gotten my 2nd maxis fave. Yay!

-starting over and not investing in my sims. now I have sims that i love
    and im gonna play them throughout their whole life

-not stepping out of my comfort zone. being uninspired. ..
    so now I am doing all of the things i have been wanting to do, without
    making excuses!
  • Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I create way too many sims in the beginning and have to kill off a good chunk of them because I want my sims that I care about to have parents & grandparents in their family trees. It creates a lot of ghosts and tombstones everywhere. Luckily creating a specific Cemetery lot keeps the rest of the Sim Neighborhoods from looking like one large cemetery...

...for the most part.
  • Options
    SomeBratInAMaskSomeBratInAMask Posts: 50 Member
    I get ultra attached to a set of parents, refuse to age them up so they remain as they were when they first fell in love, and then get bored because the rest of the family is stagnated with them....