Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Was Your Longest Save?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    IllyDior wrote: »
    Why is error 12 bad? I’ve heard a lot about it but I never bothered to look it up.

Error Code 12 comes up when saving and just tells you the game can't create a save. Usually you have little choice but to exit without saving thus losing all your progress since your last save. EC 12 supposedly occurs when the game runs out of resources (like RAM) to make the save.

You don't always have to just exit and lose your game progress.
    2 things to try first:

1. Find a patch of open ground (best to use the world terrain with no other objects close by if possible) use your mouse wheel to get as close up to the ground as possible then back it off as far as it can go then do a close up of the ground again repeat 5 or 6 times do a Save As (when as close to the ground as possible).
    2. Go into and out of Town View 3 or 4 times. Do a Save As (while still in Town View).

It doesn't always work (maybe a 1 in 4 chance it will) but I've used it a few times when EC 12 shows up.

This is exactly what I do and it does work most times, I also clear out my library of double or unneeded saved stuff and that helps too.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Why is error 12 bad? I’ve heard a lot about it but I never bothered to look it up.

Error Code 12 comes up when saving and just tells you the game can't create a save. Usually you have little choice but to exit without saving thus losing all your progress since your last save. EC 12 supposedly occurs when the game runs out of resources (like RAM) to make the save.

2 things to try first:

1. Find a patch of open ground (best to use the world terrain with no other objects close by if possible) use your mouse wheel to get as close up to the ground as possible then back it off as far as it can go then do a close up of the ground again repeat 5 or 6 times do a Save As (when as close to the ground as possible).
    2. Go into and out of Town View 3 or 4 times. Do a Save As (while still in Town View).

It doesn't always work (maybe a 1 in 4 chance it will) but I've used it a few times when EC 12 shows up.

I did say 'usually'. I didn't got into details because that wasn't the original topic of the thread. Your 2 suggestions do work for me occasionally. But most of the time I continue to get EC 12 regardless of what I do and the rest of the time the game crashes on repeated attempts to save.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018

2 things to try first:

I did say 'usually'. I didn't got into details because that wasn't the original topic of the thread. Your 2 suggestions do work for me occasionally. But most of the time I continue to get EC 12 regardless of what I do and the rest of the time the game crashes on repeated attempts to save.
    I don't get Error12s very often at all anymore, but they used to be an integral part of gameplay back when I was on the more crippled Mac version of the game and I pushed things too far on it. Back then and now, when one does arise, I would get around a 5% success rate with those tricks and yes, often enough the game would crash if I kept poking and prodding it as the Error12 condition often meant it was already in a delicate state to begin with. Others clearly get better results, but I save so often throughout gameplay that I usually don't even bother trying anymore when one does come along.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    And wow. How does your computer handle that? What type f computer do you have?
    It's a Mid-2011 iMac, again mid-range for its era. I got fed up with the ridiculous limitations of the Mac version of TS3 years ago and run the Windows version on Win 7 through Bootcamp. Although it all functions just fine, I know I could get better performance on a newer, spiffier hardware set. But it's the mods and carefully conducted maintenance tasks that play the greatest role in this ongoing game lasting for so long. When my game begins to exhibit odd behavior (I know what all of these worlds "feel" like when things are running well and when they aren't) and it's not restricted to a something in a particular game session, everything stops until I figure out why.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips For Better Game Performance

And if I end up with a "bad" save that just isn't performing well, if my hardware ever were to really fail hard and need to be replaced, or if I took things down a road that is leading to performance overload, I have what must be over 200 saves of this game from different points in time stored in different places that I can always revert to in order to replay things a different way.

i5-2400S, quad core, 2.7 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics card
    HDD, drive space is getting a little tight but I always keep at least 60 GB free on the Windows partition and offload extra saved games, downloads, backed up game folders, etc. to an external

Nothing really to be envious of, except maybe for the brilliant way these not very customizable (that's an understatement!) iMacs were put together leading to how well they perform and tend to outlive their expected lifespans. Wish I could upgrade the graphics card and add an SSD, but those operations aren't feasible on iMacs. It was all I could do to bump the RAM up from the stock 4 GB, on some models we can't even do that. But the point is that respecting the known recommended specs for these games, which are almost always higher than what EA states as "recommended," is pretty important to keeping the games running well.

Honestly if my game fell apart completely in spite of all precautions halfway through what I've gotten out of this epic one and I did have to start over, I would still love and keep playing TS3. The things we can actually do with this game as a storytelling platform are limited only by our own imaginations. But if all of my ongoing games kept falling apart consistently after every half-generation, probably not so much because to me there isn't any point in making long-term plans for my sims, their families, and their storylines if they are all 100% impossible to ever reach. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited March 2018
    My longest save must be the one I play right now. I started with a single guy in Bridgeport. He married Pin Yin, a townie, and they just moved to Riverview to start a big family. Until now, the save lasted for 12 sim weeks.
    I can't remember any saves of mine to last longer than 12 sim weeks, as much as I know.

Oh, and I play with aging off in case you wonder ^^
    Post edited by Huiiie_07 on
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    My longest save is the one I am currently playing.

As of just a moment ago, the game reached 100 weeks and 1 day. I began this save about three years ago. I do all of my building in this save so a lot of time was spent doing that, still the town has managed to progress along nicely.

My game is full of content. All EP's, most SP's and most of the store. I have a LOT of CC and I have a LOT of mods. I also use a custom world and play every sim who lives there, over 100 sims not including pets. Each sim has a fairly extensive history. The NHD file for that save is 67 MB. I do clean it out every so often with S3PE.

• Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @IllyDior -The game's automated assignment system can actually break routing for schools in larger worlds and even break a save with lag as students keep route failing on their way to school.It can also cause bad overcrowding in schools as it causes every child or kid to be automatically enrolled in school and manually assigning them stops those issues from even happening unless user-error is involved.I only got awsome for the automated school assignment override to fix school issues and it did that very well and nothing else to speak of is enabled.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    My longest save was the 100 baby challenge.

I got up to 93 babies and my founder had triplets that had two boys and one girl. The save file was about three years old and I spent ages on it. My computer broke, so I lost the entire save file and all my other games with it. I have started the 100 baby challenge back up, but it doesn't feel the same. I might rebuild the house later and start again, I don't know.

You gave me a idea!
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    xiaoisxiaois Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2018
    TadOlson wrote: »
    @IllyDior -The game's automated assignment system can actually break routing for schools in larger worlds and even break a save with lag as students keep route failing on their way to school.It can also cause bad overcrowding in schools as it causes every child or kid to be automatically enrolled in school and manually assigning them stops those issues from even happening unless user-error is involved.I only got awsome for the automated school assignment override to fix school issues and it did that very well and nothing else to speak of is enabled.

Is that why when you send a child to school and think that they are there but are instead somewhere in a park or in the middle of a bridge doing homework?

igazor wrote: »
    And wow. How does your computer handle that? What type f computer do you have?
    The things we can actually do with this game as a storytelling platform are limited only by our own imaginations. But if all of my ongoing games kept falling apart consistently after every half-generation, probably not so much because to me there isn't any point in making long-term plans for my sims, their families, and their storylines if they are all 100% impossible to ever reach. :)

That was my problem with my old computer. The poor thing somehow managed to chug along on its 2 (yes 2) gigs of ram. But now since I have my new laptop I’ve bern interested in actually writing up the storylines and looking forwards to playing.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Geez, I’m a noob compared to you guys! I’ve only reached generation 3 becoming young adults!