Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Elder Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @bekkasan There's a mod I used to have called Age, which lets your sims age gradually from adulthood to the end of elderhood. This mod, its counterpart- Grow- the Nraas mods, and the Hospital Overhaul mod are my favorites. Oh, and also Cancel Time off. Anyways, here's a link.
    http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=517293
    Yeah! on Consort's mods, they are fantastic. NRass ...eh, never heard of 'em. (kidding of course) :p

But I would strongly suggest finding a way to do without the Hospital Overhaul mod. There are two of them out there from two different developers and they both unfortunately disappeared from TS3 modding back when Patch 1.57 was current. Their mods are known to break games on current patch levels, unfortunately. Not for every player, some have little to no trouble with them, but far too many will and the issues won't always be related to hospitals or giving birth, the breakage often ends up hiding in other ways. We understand why they were so popular, but they cannot really be recommended.

I only used it once in a save that later corrupted. I had my sim have an in-vetro pregnancy because she was having a hard time getting pregnant. By the time the save got corrupted, the kid from said pregnancy was already a teenager and the family had moved to a new town. My techie mom was able to fix the save though, and we thought the cause was my angler sim having over 200 memories. I deleted some of the well over 100 fishing memories and the save ran without a hitch!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    You kids and the sims you think are elders...I think it's time to kick Elder Appreciation up a notch. This is "Granny" Shashataa, more of a surrogate granny after having been freed from her sarcophagus but not really related to any of my sims. She's on her way into work in her custom Egyptology career. :)

6celbscb5r5cd1g4g.jpg
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @igazor I'm no kid! I think "Granny" Shashataa might be the oldest elder here ... she'd be around my age I reckon ;)
  • Options
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @igazor I'm no kid! I think "Granny" Shashataa might be the oldest elder here ... she'd be around my age I reckon ;)
    If she weren't so busy with her career and helping out with the new baby in the house, I would send her over so the two of you could reminisce about the old days. Mummies and babies are such naturals together, who would have thought it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    If she weren't so busy with her career and helping out with the new baby in the house, I would send her over so the two of you could reminisce about the old days. Mummies and babies are such naturals together, who would have thought it. :)

Such a pity she's busy. We could have shared the 3,000 year old nectar my boys recently dug up in Champs Les Sims! :p

• Options
    @Mikezumi How are your boys doing? I saw in another thread that their age bars are full.
  • Options
    @Simtown15 The boys are still with me. They are 3 days over and each day is stressful not knowing if they will make it or not. :( They just had their 6th grandchild :)

26697384468_d355a167d7_o.jpg
  • Options
    @Mikezumi I know the feeling. I get all jumpy and startled by the slightest noise or camera focus when I have an elder sim close to death.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Maybe I should keep quiet about this, but for those of you using NRaas Overwatch already there is a way to find out after midnight each sim day if any elder sims in town, including the actively being played ones, can expect a visit from Grimmy later that sim day. It requires one setting change, the game to be loaded up again each sim day but some of us play so slowly that we usually end up not getting much further than one sim day in per session anyway, and then reading the startup log. I don't want to know way in advance exactly to the day how long my sims have to live, that's too morbid for me, but I don't mind knowing that "today is the day" something like that will happen without all of the added stress.

And, of course, there are always death flowers.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor I really don't want to know! I know about the townies because I get messages when they are dying but I would be miserable knowing my active sims are definitely going that day. I only play one day per session and it takes 2-3 hours and knowing it was their last day would make that time painful to play.
  • Options
    @igazor Just saw the death flower comment. I don't use them and let my sims go when it's their time. I don't like to lose my sims but I see it as necessary to the way I play.
  • Options
    @Mikezumi I agree and disagree with your comments. I like to know when my sims die, which is one of the few Sims 4 features I wish Sims 3 had. (You get a notification exactly 24 hours before a sim's death, which takes off a lot of stress.) I also don't use death flowers because it feels too cheaty and it's their time anyways. In fact, my sims don't use death flowers at all, even to prevent accidental deaths. Idk where I'd get one anyways.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I don't let all of my sims have death flowers, a small number of them kind of move around from one personal inventory to another (within the same family) sometimes.

When I get the notification that "today is the day," I take it to mean that the unfortunate thing has already happened again without the stress and then have a conversation with myself about whether it should have right on that day or not. Am I really done playing that sim (or do I want them to still be around as a ghost) or would they or I get anything at all out of them reliving their entire elder stage. Sometimes it goes one way, sometimes another, sometimes I just sit there babbling to myself and realize that I have to save, quit, and think about it for a while longer while doing something else. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor I have given it some thought and although it kind of makes me sad, I would like to know where that setting is.
    I am playing on a shortish lifespan in my current save and already gave elders more days than they should have proportionate to the lifespan as well as sending my boys to university for a week and then to Champs Les Sims for a few days but I am ready to let them go now.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    NRaas > Overwatch > Settings > Logging > True.

I found this out by accident while I was debugging something else long ago. You will get one or two notifications per sim day that will be meaningless, especially one that looks like an error (but really isn't) just around midnight each sim night. But more importantly, you will get a long startup script log on each session usually around the time that the game clock starts moving or very soon after.

Within that startup log, under the Aging Manager entry, there will be a list of any sims whose birthdays (due to age up) are on that sim day. If any of them are elders then that means that would be the sim day on which Grimmy visits.

It's a bit odd I admit, but since I had to read those logs daily for a while anyway it became habit and impossible not to notice who was on the "birthday list" with each session startup.

And I felt really bad about this, but I remember an inactive elder sim I never really paid much attention to in a very crowded world. My total life span is 242 sim days. Her notification was logged on what was her 303rd day. All I could think of was, wow...finally! :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Thanks @igazor :) I hope I don't regret this. I am already super nosy where my town sims are concerned so having more to read about them might become addictive! :p
  • Options
    @igazor I just saw your edit! Sometimes I have town sims go so far over their lifespan that I end up giving them a little "nudge". Not because I want them to die but because a sim that has lived almost as long as an elder as they have for the other life stages combined is just not "natural".
  • Options
    I lost one of my boys today :'( I have just come out of game so no pics have been uploaded yet.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I lost one of my boys today :'( I have just come out of game so no pics have been uploaded yet.

Oh no! :'(
  • Options

Oh no! :( Which one? And what was he doing when he passed? Hopefully he was surrounded by his large family.
  • Options
    @Simtown15 I won't tell you who passed just yet. I will post pics later. Be assured he was very happy right until the last moment and was surrounded by family when the end came.
  • Options
    I will only share one photo of my loss here because it will be getting heavy coverage in my usual threads.
    John's time ran out just after he and Jordan had woohooed in the hot tub. I was glad when he didn't beg for his life because that really breaks my heart :heartbreak:
    40560441932_a7237e35f0_o.jpg
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    edited March 2018
    It´s hard loosing your elder sims, especially, if they were part of a devoted couple.

Screenshot-x1762.jpg
    Screenshot-x3204.jpg
    Elder couples are so cute!

Screenshot-x4166.jpg

Screenshot-x5013.jpg

Screenshot-x2599.jpg
    Old age is no reason to repress your inner child.

Screenshot-x4934.jpg
    Still doing great things (she got the statue and everything!)

Screenshot-x5711.jpg
    Still the life of the party!

Screenshot-x4013.jpg
    Perhaps getting a bit loopy sometimes (yes, she´s completly nekkid).

Screenshot-x3962.jpg
    Master magician (he was an "ordinary" magician, and also mastered the witch skill).

Screenshot-x4196.jpg

Screenshot-x5622.jpg
    Just being fabulous.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I'm sooo glad that death in Sims 3 is just a transition to another, albeit less opaque, life state. Still very sad, any hints on how you plan to play it out in your game @Mikezumi ?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Jessa_Dakkar If I didn't see death as just another life state, I could not let my sims die. I didn't for a long time when I first started playing the game but when I finally bit the bullet I was thrilled when my dead sim would visit and I saw that it was not the end.
    As for John, his headstone is in the backyard and I will ensure that a guitar and empty easel are left for him when he visits. Years ago, I had a sim who died in the middle of a painting. I couldn't bring myself to clear the easel and, to my delight, he finished it on one of his visits. Unfortunately, he sold the painting but it still made me feel good :)