Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Publisher sale

There's an EA Publisher sale going on right now on Origin, which includes the Sims 4 base game, expansion packs, and bundles for sale. The sale ends March 6th, 10AM PT.

It seems game packs are not on sale this time, and of course once again no stuff pack sales... *sigh*
Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I am on the floor laughing at them having a sale every 4 days. I mean, they might as well just give it away at this point. Even brand new packs are immediately on sale right when initially released.

I personally think when a product is constantly on sale for a reduced price it lowers its value.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I am on the floor laughing at them having a sale every 4 days. I mean, they might as well just give it away at this point. Even brand new packs are immediately on sale right when initially released.

I personally think when a product is constantly on sale for a reduced price it lowers its value.

True. I could decide to wait for an EP or GP to drop in price if I think it's not worth it, and it would go on sale within a few months.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Yeah the Sims does have a ĺot of sales. It probably means the profit they make off of sale price is still very high and they just charge full price because packs originally sold for as much so no one would think much of it.
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    If they'd put vampires on sale for $10 I'd totally grab it. But I can't justify spending more than that. :(
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Chazzzy wrote: »

This is literally the case for every game on Origin.
    Steam also has sales constantly and rotate between titles.

You can't use the old retail days and sales and compare it to digital sales.

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

Such sales have a different purpose when they are repeated so often.

I play a MMO game where sales are repeated on a regular base each month. First their is a sale where we get 3 times as much game cash as normal for 3 days. When this sale ends then a couple of days later the main thing we can buy for our game cash goes on sale for 3 days such that we get twice as much as normal. Then a couple of weeks without those sales and then the whole thing just starts over.

So what is the purpose of such repeating sales? Of course it (at least in my opinion) only can be to encourage players to hurry to buy before the sales are over. The sales are mainly just a way to make us gamers buy things faster than we maybe would have done otherwise ;)
  • Options
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Yeah the Sims does have a ĺot of sales. It probably means the profit they make off of sale price is still very high and they just charge full price because packs originally sold for as much so no one would think much of it.
    I think that the purpose of repeating sales more is to get our attention and to motivate us to check the offers much more often than we would have done otherwise. The reasoning must be that the more we check the offers the more we likely will buy.

It is no surprise for me that it mostly is expensive things like the EPs and the bundles that goes on sale because the reason why EA doesn’t make so many EPs anymore clearly is that cheaper packs sell better. Again the reason likely is that a lot of young simmers don’t have much money and therefore can’t afford the more expensive things. So they usually only buy SPs and other things that they better can afford.

EA hesitates to lower the prices for the basegame and old EPs on a permanent basis and I am quite sure that there are 2 good reasons for this:
    1. If the basegame and the first EPs always are cheap then EA fears that new simmers will think that the game is bad and not worth playing anyway.
    2. EA fears that the new packs will sell badly if simmers always instead can buy old packs for much lower prices.

But just wait until TS5 is released because then EA will likely offer “TS4 the complete collection” for almost nothing ;)
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Similar has been going on on Playstation, too.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member

I saw the base game for $9.99 on Origin last week, I think that's pretty much what they are doing at this point. Everyone should just wait for a sale before buying anymore EPs, GPs, or SPs.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    Goth583 wrote: »

I saw the base game for $9.99 on Origin last week, I think that's pretty much what they are doing at this point. Everyone should just wait for a sale before buying anymore EPs, GPs, or SPs.
    The basegame is different from the packs because it only is targeted at completely new simmers. What EA is doing here is to try to tempt new simmers to try the game by offering it for a discount in only short periods such that they don’t think that the discounts are about the game becoming old and uninteresting. EA clearly (IMO) just want them to take the decision fast before they maybe change their mind.

The packs are different because they of course instead are targeted at simmers who already have the basegame. Here EA wants even old packs to still have their full price such that simmers don’t buy the old packs instead of the new ones. But especially the most expensive packs can also be used to tempt simmers who couldn’t afford them by giving them short periods where they can be bought cheaply. But preferably only at times where EA has released new expensive packs recently. So I am quite sure that this is EA’s strategy ;)
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Why arent any stuff packs on sale??? I bought almost all of them at full price but now im sick of them, and just waiting for sales but they're never on sale...
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    Why arent any stuff packs on sale??? I bought almost all of them at full price but now im sick of them, and just waiting for sales but they're never on sale...

Because they're at such a low price to begin with that EA feels they don't make any money on them when they do put them on sale and they know players are going to be more willing to do a quick grab-and-go with an already lower priced stuff pack when they need a quick boost to their games so there's no need for them to be put on sale as often (or at all).

Even more importantly a Stuff Pack is not likely to be something that's going to entice in new players who have never played the game before to pick up the base game and start playing the way an EP or GP on sale might.

That said they generally do go on sale about once or twice a year you just have to be patient and watchful. My guess for a most likely time would be during the big Origin Summer Sale.

Also I don't think that people really understand how sales work. When something is put on sale more likely then not they're not trying to sell that item. Well I mean they are but that's not really the end game. The end game is to pull people into your store so that they'll buy other (hopefully full priced) items while they're there. This harder to do on online stores when people don't have the "well I came all this way I might as well get something else while I'm here" mentality that they do in brick-and-mortar stores thus online stores have bigger sales more often because in their mind if you come there to buy a sale item often enough you may be more likely to buy that other bigger ticket item that you think about every time you visit the page.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,880 Member
    3KNPen wrote: »

Because they're at such a low price to begin with that EA feels they don't make any money on them when they do put them on sale and they know players are going to be more willing to do a quick grab-and-go with an already lower priced stuff pack when they need a quick boost to their games so there's no need for them to be put on sale as often (or at all).

Even more importantly a Stuff Pack is not likely to be something that's going to entice in new players who have never played the game before to pick up the base game and start playing the way an EP or GP on sale might.

That said they generally do go on sale about once or twice a year you just have to be patient and watchful. My guess for a most likely time would be during the big Origin Summer Sale.

Also I don't think that people really understand how sales work. When something is put on sale more likely then not they're not trying to sell that item. Well I mean they are but that's not really the end game. The end game is to pull people into your store so that they'll buy other (hopefully full priced) items while they're there. This harder to do on online stores when people don't have the "well I came all this way I might as well get something else while I'm here" mentality that they do in brick-and-mortar stores thus online stores have bigger sales more often because in their mind if you come there to buy a sale item often enough you may be more likely to buy that other bigger ticket item that you think about every time you visit the page.

Definitely agree with this. I visited the Origin store to check out game prices for giveaways and was immediately drwan to a game called Fe. Still deciding whether or not to get it.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

Maybe not at this time, but I have purchased many stuff packs that I own for $5 or less. You jusst have to be patient.
  • Options
    Sales are targeted mostly at people who don’t have much money to give them an opportunity to finally buy that game or pack that they have wanted so long but never really had enough money for. But SPs are already so cheap that everybody should be able to afford them. So EA has no good reason to put them on sale before TS4’s era is about to end anyway. A better way for EA will be to put the SPs into bundles where they are offered cheaply if you also buy the other things in the bundle.

But if you have enough patience then you can just wait a few years and hope that EA then will release “the Sims 4 full collection” for free just like EA did with TS2 even though EA hasn’t even done it with TS3 yet ;)
  • Options
    3KNPen wrote: »
    I agree that this is part of the story too - but only a part of it. When I play online games I get ingame offers all the time. But they don’t need to do anything to pull me into the store because I am already in the store when I have opened the game. Nevertheless they give me limited time offers all the time and those offers are usually only available for about 3 days. Many of the offers will be repeated later - but not all of them. So for me to see limited time offers are mainly about encouraging people to finally make that purchase that they maybe have considered for a long time but postponed anyway.

In places like Origin the changing offers are of course also about making curious enough to visit the store more offen such that they will be tempted to buy more.
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Now just to have patience since I bought Cats & Dogs at release price Not going to do that again - wait a week .... right
    I will wait for Laundry and the New Gp to go sale
    EA ID burnished_dragon