Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Out of curiosity, would you buy a new computer just to play The Sims?

Comments

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Yes
    Erpe wrote: »
    Goodywood wrote: »
    I would and I have with TS2 and TS3. :smiley:

This is a good poll for the Devs to see. People are willing to pay for a new PC to play an Updated game.
    The problem here just is that although we are willing to pay for a new computer for our own games we most likely aren’t if it instead is our 13 years old daughter who wants a better computer to be able to play the game on higher settings. In such a case we most likely instead will just ask her to enjoy the game on lower settings and wait a couple of years to get a better computer anyway ;)

So alas I don’t think that we will be able to convince EA that it isn’t necessary to give the game such low minimum requirements because higher requirements would alas almost certainly harm the sales numbers severely anyway.

@Erpe, please stop with the teenage girl target demographic. We understand it. Drake said it, but you don't have to keep bringing it up all the time. Clearly, it doesn't matter that it's targeted toward teenage girls because there are PLENTY of people that aren't 13 and still play The Sims.

What this poll shows is that there's people out there that are willing to upgrade or buy new to play The Sims - which is the point I was trying to make by asking the question - clearly a question not targeted toward a teenager, so why even bring it up? I really believe that if they want to target teenage girls, mobile games is where it's at. Most of them have one.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Yes
    aricarai wrote: »

This is a good poll for the Devs to see. People are willing to pay for a new PC to play an Updated game.
    The problem here just is that although we are willing to pay for a new computer for our own games we most likely aren’t if it instead is our 13 years old daughter who wants a better computer to be able to play the game on higher settings. In such a case we most likely instead will just ask her to enjoy the game on lower settings and wait a couple of years to get a better computer anyway ;)

So alas I don’t think that we will be able to convince EA that it isn’t necessary to give the game such low minimum requirements because higher requirements would alas almost certainly harm the sales numbers severely anyway.

@Erpe, please stop with the teenage girl target demographic. We understand it. Drake said it, but you don't have to keep bringing it up all the time. Clearly, it doesn't matter that it's targeted toward teenage girls because there are PLENTY of people that aren't 13 and still play The Sims.

What this poll shows is that there's people out there that are willing to upgrade or buy new to play The Sims - which is the point I was trying to make by asking the question - clearly a question not targeted toward a teenager, so why even bring it up? I really believe that if they want to target teenage girls, mobile games is where it's at. Most of them have one.
    I didn’t mention that at all! Just that some of the simmers for sure are such young teens too.

I understand why you would like to fool EA into thinking that all simmers are adults and if I thought that we had a chance for this then I would likely do the same. But I am alas not naive enough to believe that even in my wildest dreams because EA is an extremely professional company who don’t make a single game without carefully investigating the market. It therefore has no purpose to try to fool EA by claiming that the Sims games only are for adults.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    I need a new laptop anyway. So when I have the money, sure. ;)
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    kimieswildroseskimieswildroses Posts: 116 Member
    Yes
    Back in the day my old windows 98 pc wouldn't run Sims2 so i ordered an new pc from dell. This is in 2004 and it cost me almost 800.00, used most of my income tax refund. Took my kids out to eat with the rest.
  • Options
    Yes

I didn’t mention that at all! Just that some of the simmers for sure are such young teens too.

I understand why you would like to fool EA into thinking that all simmers are adults and if I thought that we had a chance for this then I would likely do the same. But I am alas not naive enough to believe that even in my wildest dreams because EA is an extremely professional company who don’t make a single game without carefully investigating the market. It therefore has no purpose to try to fool EA by claiming that the Sims games only are for adults.

@Erpe - you did mention teenage girls in your post - go back and read it. And where have I tried to fool EA into thinking that ALL Simmers are adults? I merely made a poll asking who would buy a new computer specifically for The Sims. Obviously the POLL isn't aimed at a teenager because I doubt there aren't many in the world that could afford a gaming computer. Honestly, c'mon!
  • Options
    Yes

@Erpe - you did mention teenage girls in your post - go back and read it. And where have I tried to fool EA into thinking that ALL Simmers are adults? I merely made a poll asking who would buy a new computer specifically for The Sims. Obviously the POLL isn't aimed at a teenager because I doubt there aren't many in the world that could afford a gaming computer. Honestly, c'mon!
    Yes I didn’t like you claim that all simmers are adults and that teens don’t play the game. But nowhere in my post did I write anything about the game being targeted mainly at teen girls! Just read it again and let us close this irrelevant discussion!
  • Options
    Yes

Yes I didn’t like you claim that all simmers are adults and that teens don’t play the game. But nowhere in my post did I write anything about the game being targeted mainly at teen girls! Just read it again and let us close this irrelevant discussion!

@Erpe - Where did I claim all simmers are adults? Please quote me where I said that. I said that this poll wasn't for teenagers and stated my reasons as to why but I never once have claimed ALL Simmers are adults.

The discussion isn't irrelevant if you keep going into topics, as you have been since Drake mentioned the target demographic months ago, and bringing up teenage girls (as you said 13 year old daughters). I've merely asked you to stop talking about it. THAT is what is irrelevant because I highly doubt anyone thought this POLL (not the game) was for anyone that isn't making their own money.
  • Options
    Yes
    @aricarai Nowhere does your original post nor the title of this thread say that the thread is restrictec to only include adult simmers! So when you conclude that all simmers will buy a new computer just for a Sims games then you forget that adult simmers aren’t the same as adult simmers! That was the only thing I mentioned in my post!

I know that many simmers are dreamers who don’t like facts like SimGuruDrakes statement and I agree that this statement now has been mentioned so often that there isn’t any point for me in mentioning it anymore because most simmers in this forum now already know my view on the guru’s statement. So I will just let you dreamers deny it from now on if this still suits you better.
  • Options
    SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    I almost did. I wanted to record LPs and post to Youtube. My PC plays the game well enough but not enough power for that. I was at Fry's and had to go to the car and talk myself out of it. lol. You are NOT going to spend 1000+ on a computer when you have a perfectly good one at home just so you can post youtube videos!
  • Options
    Yes
    @aricarai Nowhere does your original post nor the title of this thread say that the thread is restrictec to only include adult simmers! So when you conclude that all simmers will buy a new computer just for a Sims games then you forget that adult simmers aren’t the same as adult simmers! That was the only thing I mentioned in my post!

I know that many simmers are dreamers who don’t like facts like SimGuruDrakes statement and I agree that this statement now has been mentioned so often that there isn’t any point for me in mentioning it anymore because most simmers in this forum now already know my view on the guru’s statement. So I will just let you dreamers deny it from now on if this still suits you better.

@Erpe - this seriously makes absolutely no sense. Where did I conclude that ALL Simmers will buy a new computer just for the Sims? The poll speaks for itself - 100% of people that have voted did not vote yes - so I'm still confused as to what you're even getting at here.

No, I don't think people are dreamers. I think a lot of us read what she said, but haven't worked it into every argument on the forums as you have. Who is denying anything? Honestly - what are you talking about? Drake said what she said - it was printed in black and white for anyone that wanted to read it. So let me get this straight - what you're saying is because people don't mention the target demographic in most of their replies, that makes them dreamers? I don't understand how you put those two together.
  • Options
    Yes
    @aricarai I think that most of us are dreamers at least while we play the game. At least I am because I use the game too to escape into a dream world where I can do a lot of things that I can’t do in my real life. Even so I am not a typical simmers though because I play several other games too and I don’t want to stay in my dream world too when I am not even playing. So I don’t want to deny facts from the real world like so many simmers here seem to want too.

No you only concluded that about 80% of all simmers will buy a new computer for just one game because you still deny the fact that most simmers aren’t in the forum and play in very different ways. I just watched videos on Twitch because I got a message about the Sims going live about half an hour ago and I saw simmers chat a lot while watching. But I don’t think that the simmers on Twitch and other social media are nearly as old in average as the simmers who use the forum here instead. We can only guess about that though. So no point in discussing it further.
  • Options
    Yes
    @aricarai I think that most of us are dreamers at least while we play the game. At least I am because I use the game too to escape into a dream world where I can do a lot of things that I can’t do in my real life. Even so I am not a typical simmers though because I play several other games too and I don’t want to stay in my dream world too when I am not even playing. So I don’t want to deny facts from the real world like so many simmers here seem to want too.

No you only concluded that about 80% of all simmers will buy a new computer for just one game because you still deny the fact that most simmers aren’t in the forum and play in very different ways. I just watched videos on Twitch because I got a message about the Sims going live about half an hour ago and I saw simmers chat a lot while watching. But I don’t think that the simmers on Twitch and other social media are nearly as old in average as the simmers who use the forum here instead. We can only guess about that though. So no point in discussing it further.

@Erpe - So first you use dreamers in a negative connotation and then when I mention it - you lump yourself in there too?

AND first I was concluded that ALL Simmers would buy a computer and now it's 80%? And where have I concluded this - just by making a POLL? I didn't make up these results. Now you're making things up to fit your own narrative. Where did I deny that most Simmers aren't in the forum and play in different ways? A) I hosted this poll both here and on twitter and B) I'm very aware that people play all different ways. I use the game to build - that's definitely different than many others play. I've never denied that.

Please stop putting words in my mouth!
  • Options
    Yes
    @aricarai Now you claim that I used dreamers in a negative connotation even though I even am a dreamer myself while I am playing and you just want to argue! I won’t. So I am out of here.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    @aricarai Now you claim that I used dreamers in a negative connotation even though I even am a dreamer myself while I am playing and you just want to argue! I won’t. So I am out of here.

It's not a claim, it's in black and white. You wrote it not me. And I am not arguing, I merely am asking for evidence of where I am making all of these claims, but that's fine if you want to leave the discussion and deflect all of the questions that I've asked. At this point @Erpe, I think you're trolling.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    No
    There was a time, years ago, that I did do that.
    However, not anymore.
    But, since my list of PC games expanded, I do think about the possibility of needing to replace/upgrade in the future, with Sims being a part of it, but not the main reason.
    Sometimes I get so tired of upgrading though. Our Phones, PC security, PC parts, and it sometimes get so exhausting. So many things, and money only goes so far. I told my husband I don't want anymore phones that cost the price of a PC.
    (I'll stop babbling now. 3 weeks of bronchitis is making me a bit cranky...)

• Options
    Yes
    There was a time, years ago, that I did do that.
    However, not anymore.
    But, since my list of PC games expanded, I do think about the possibility of needing to replace/upgrade in the future, with Sims being a part of it, but not the main reason.
    Sometimes I get so tired of upgrading though. Our Phones, PC security, PC parts, and it sometimes get so exhausting. So many things, and money only goes so far. I told my husband I don't want anymore phones that cost the price of a PC.
    (I'll stop babbling now. 3 weeks of bronchitis is making me a bit cranky...)

@SimplySimazing - I hope you feel better soon. Bronchitis isn't nice at all.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    No
    @SimplySimazing - I hope you feel better soon. Bronchitis isn't nice at all.
    Thanks. Yeah, it's cruddy. I had flu before it, worst ever. :s
    Husband is better, but I can't shake the last of the bronchitis for some reason. :/

And I JUST realized something. My Sims have never gotten sick in the game! :o
    What exactly triggers that anyway?...
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,617 Member
    Yes
    Erpe, you confuse me. :lol:
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Yes
    I have in the past. But my old comp was nearly ready for retirement just a 7 months left of its warranty, so I bought a new one. and gave my old one away. This one is a Lenovo and it is brilliant. no over heating. I have been playing all day and its been fantastic, my games runs smoothly. I still get a little lagging, when sims stand around and I have to cancel their queue, but I think that's more them, not wanting to do what's in their queue. lol and its smaller to. easier to handle. and its a laptop.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    No
    No, but I wouldn't buy a new computer for any 1 game either. It's not in my budget to go out and buy a new rig just for 1 game. It would have to be several games I couldn't play due to specs for me to purchase a new computer. My current one is nearly 3 years old so it will have to be upgraded or replaced at some point within the next year. I couldn't play 4 on my previous computer. I had purchased it but the settings all had to be lowered and it was basically awful so I uninstalled. When I got this one I installed 4 and other games I wasn't able to play on the old one, so it will be the same thing when this one becomes too outdated or worn out.
  • Options
    Yes
    Erpe, you confuse me. :lol:
    Understandable :)

I think that the reason is that I show different sides of myself depending on the situation:
    1. I am a gamer and when I play a game then I am a dreamer like everybody else.
    2. But I am also a scientist with a master degree in mathematics even though this hasn’t anything to do with my gaming. So when I try to evaluate the future for the game then it is this scientific side that I usually show. Here I don’t dream about 2+2 being 5 even though I would wish that sometimes too because I have learned to only use facts to evaluate science or to “guess” about the future and especially to avoid wishful thinking such that I don’t fool myself.

But this thread isn’t about me. Other simmers can think what they want and I don’t care about it because I am only here to clarify my own thoughts and ideas for myself. I don’t discuss things to force other simmers to agree with me but only to be inspired to see things more clearly for myself and believe me: it actually helps quite a lot!

I don’t know if this made you less confused? But I think that it is all that I can say about it :)
  • Options
    anonmysteryanonmystery Posts: 135 Member
    edited February 2018
    No
    I was seriously considering it at one point, but my priorities have changed massively over the past 3-4 years of playing the sims. I still play a lot, but I always find that there is something else I'd much rather put the price of a gaming laptop towards from holidays to just good old saving. My laptop runs the sims 4 fine for the moment, I have minimal lag and no loading screens despite using a lot of script mods and a ton of CC. Unless my laptop packs up, I likely won't buy a new one any time soon.

If I played other games in addition to the sims 4 I think I would be more invested in getting a gaming laptop.
  • Options
    JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Yes
    YES. Sims 2 and 3 that is. When my older regular computer broke I specifically looked for a gaming computer just so I could play the sims 3. I have ALWAYS had sims (any of them) installed on the computer since the year 2000. I literally panic if i don't have a sims game installed. If my computer can't handle it, I throw it out and buy a new one. THE SIMS IN MY HEART <3
  • Options
    aobaob Posts: 904 Member
    Yes
    I would and I did!
    8b787dbb95ac5f2afbd53010e3e3a47f4c9ed619.gif origin id: grilledtempeh
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Yes and no.

If Sims 5 comes out and requires more than my current PC requires then Sims 5 will have to wait until I decide to buy a new computer or upgrade my current one.

When my new one needs replacing, the Sims will be a factor in what computer I put together.