Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nanny vs. Butler

Hi! I currently have a butler, but I'm not exactly sure what butlers will do when it comes to childcare. I'm afraid to let my sim kids get super red to see what he'll do. I'm thinking about getting a mod to allow full time nannies, but I can't find a good comparison of exactly what a butler does for kids, vs. what a nanny does. Anyone have any input on this? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,792 Member
    The butler will take care of the infant, even when the parents are home. If I want a Nanny, I create on in CAS and add her to the household, so that I can control what she does. I've also used the nannies in game for babysitting purposes while the rest of the family does volunteer work. They're okay, but then they want to be your Sims' best buddy, calling either of the parents or the child Sims to have them hang out. Creepy, much.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    rika1431rika1431 Posts: 28 Member
    Does anyone's nannies actually take care of the babies? Mine never do!
  • Options
    akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I've never used a nanny because I really lucked out with my butler, he does everything. I have three toddlers and the butler takes good care of them. He takes them to the potty, reads to them, dances with them, teaches flash cards and always cooks family meals (along with all his other duties ). He even does gardening even though it isn't one of his responsibilities. I've read all the horror stories and thank my lucky stars!
  • Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    My advice would be to never use nannies on twins, but other than that they're OK. Though they will call your children up to go out and do stuff at the middle of the night which is annoying.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I've only ever had one butler in all my households, but she is the best plum butler I have and will ever have! Also as a plus I think she's also immortal.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    kemisz wrote: »
    My advice would be to never use nannies on twins, but other than that they're OK. Though they will call your children up to go out and do stuff at the middle of the night which is annoying.

Why are nannies bad with twins? Do they just hyper-focus on one and neglect the other?
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    rika1431 wrote: »
    Does anyone's nannies actually take care of the babies? Mine never do!

My nannies are usually pretty good. Its the butlers that just sit around and read or stand staring at the fridge for hours!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    ElleysimsElleysims Posts: 133 Member
    My nannies always suck. They do nothing but entertain themselves even when kids cry. I have had bad butlers and good butlers but my butler will always interact with the kids when they are low on something.
  • Options
    aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    My current butler is pretty good with the kids but he's an alcoholic. He keeps making drinks for himself every chance he gets. He pretty spoilt too. The family loves him and he's very useful - just alcoholic.

As for nannies, the last one I had won't leave. He remained there even when the mom came home - maybe he was sorry she was a single mom. And no he was not the father of the child. When she dismissed him he came right back an hour later without being called. And he was a very good nanny too - did all the work and cooking and took care of the kids. But he ran up a mean bill so when the toddler grew up and went to school and the mom went back out to work she did not have enough money to pay him.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Mine did but he was rather creepy. He seduced Candy and got her pregnant.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

Did he take care of that baby too?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    Modsey wrote: »
    kemisz wrote: »

Why are nannies bad with twins? Do they just hyper-focus on one and neglect the other?

Hey @Modsey, that's exactly right. In my experience they'll look after one baby and just completely ignore the other. It can be so frustrating.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options

Yes he did. He would take care of the kids and then have his way with Candy.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options

Lmao, seems to me that since the poor innocent butler is not programmed to initiate any romantic actions, I would think it was Candy having her way with him. But it's easy to blame the poor butler. Well, I did try that once just to see if the butler would stay and take care of his kid and well yes, he stayed and was very attentive to his baby/toddler. When he started getting fat and the toddler became a child I would let her get him into the pool for a swim every day. But after the swim, he would always go get more drinks so he never lost any weight.
  • Options
    aujineh wrote: »

Lmao, seems to me that since the poor innocent butler is not programmed to initiate any romantic actions, I would think it was Candy having her way with him. But it's easy to blame the poor butler. Well, I did try that once just to see if the butler would stay and take care of his kid and well yes, he stayed and was very attentive to his baby/toddler. When he started getting fat and the toddler became a child I would let her get him into the pool for a swim every day. But after the swim, he would always go get more drinks so he never lost any weight.

I have a mod that will allow for autonomous woohoo and works with service sims as well. It was the nanny that instigated it. Candy was in the kitchen baking when Cullen the nanny came into the kitchen and started talking to her. Next thing I knew she was following up the stairs. That wasn't the direction I was heading with that story-line but it did make it much more interesting than what I had planned. I love it when the game gives you things to work with. I wasn't able to finish out that story-line because I ended up losing my save folder but once I get my master save file all set up to play again, I'll be working towards that goal. Shinya and Candy produced some VERY cute kids!!! I'm glad I was able to recover my tray folder and I'm hoping I was smart enough to have saved the nanny because I edited him to be cute but he decided he was going to creepy...lol

7YNq2xj.png

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,310 Member
    The last nanny I hired did great with a set of twins and quickly made friends with the older child. The only issue I has with him was that some sort of glitch made him completely invisible and unselectable. So you could see and hear him talking, but not click on him. He'd go feed a baby and there'd be a floating baby with a bottle. It was particularly disturbing when he did the play interaction with them.

I finally fiddled around enough to solve his invisibility problem and he immediately seduced the husband of the family (🐸🐸🐸🐸 autonomous woohoo) so that was the end of that.

As a nod to answering the initial question, butlers WILL care for children but WITH SOME NOTABLE EXCEPTIONS I've generally found nannies more reliable.
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    Last time I've dealt with a nanny all they did is watch TV while the toddlers just decided to take care of themselves
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    tinkerbell3552tinkerbell3552 Posts: 104 Member
    Thanks everyone!! From your awesome insight I think I should keep the butler and maybe tweak her traits (does that help with them working more?) and see if she takes care of the toddler. I'm playing the Straud vampire family and they are kind of snobs so, it makes sense for the mother to not really care all that much for her kids, but I don't want them to be neglected either.
  • Options
    aussiekarimaaussiekarima Posts: 1,170 Member
    edited February 2018
    ~ I think some peeps in here are super lucky as all the Butlers I have had will not touch a baby,they all do every thing else,like make meals if anyone on the lot is hungry,cleans all the time,never slacks off,even gardens,but will not touch toddlers except(if there is a high chair,had to sell it on that lot as the butler was putting the toddler in & out of the high chair all the time without giving food!?He keep making food as the Toddler was staving,but never gave it to him, I had to wait for the parents to come home from work & feed the toddler!Then I found out if no high chair the toddler helps themselves to food left out,but the Butler always puts the food in the fridge! Frustrating!)
    ~ So had to hire a Babysitter as well as a butler,as both parents worked,still to this day I have had no Butler touch a baby! Maybe my Butlers just hate Children!LOL! ;)
    Webp-net-gifmaker-3.gif
    Gallery Link-aussiekarima

• Options

I have a mod that will allow for autonomous woohoo and works with service sims as well. It was the nanny that instigated it. Candy was in the kitchen baking when Cullen the nanny came into the kitchen and started talking to her. Next thing I knew she was following up the stairs. That wasn't the direction I was heading with that story-line but it did make it much more interesting than what I had planned. I love it when the game gives you things to work with. I wasn't able to finish out that story-line because I ended up losing my save folder but once I get my master save file all set up to play again, I'll be working towards that goal. Shinya and Candy produced some VERY cute kids!!! I'm glad I was able to recover my tray folder and I'm hoping I was smart enough to have saved the nanny because I edited him to be cute but he decided he was going to creepy...lol

7YNq2xj.png

Mmn mmn mmn, and to think I called him innocent! He looks very much the romantic culprit.
  • Options
    garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    they both suck like all services in Sims 4
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,663 Member
    My nanny is doing fantastic right now with both my toddler and baby. She even cleans. I've had good luck with the butler overall but don't recall how he interacted with children.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options

7YNq2xj.png

Mmn mmn mmn, and to think I called him innocent! He looks very much the romantic culprit.

Yeah, there's just no innocent sim in my game.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    Goofhead2Goofhead2 Posts: 69 Member
    I don't have any butlers but my nannies do nothing. Usually the parents still have to take care of the kids and the nannies are just using our stuff or they are romancing the vampires in the family.
  • Options
    I_want_cupquakeI_want_cupquake Posts: 2 New Member
    > @kemisz said:
    > Modsey wrote: »
    >
    > kemisz wrote: »
    >
    > My advice would be to never use nannies on twins, but other than that they're OK. Though they will call your children up to go out and do stuff at the middle of the night which is annoying.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Why are nannies bad with twins? Do they just hyper-focus on one and neglect the other?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hey @Modsey, that's exactly right. In my experience they'll look after one baby and just completely ignore the other. It can be so frustrating.

I had that exact same problem I just talked it down to the nannies are stupid and think they’re the same child