Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Diversity in your Sims and or Townie Sims

Comments

• Options
    YvinatorEliteYvinatorElite Posts: 97 Member
    I don't use cc and only play with the EA townies in my Let's Plays so I do give them makeovers to fit them more into the story I want for them.
  • Options
    EmontheinternetEmontheinternet Posts: 10 New Member
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > Why is every second random Townie a blonde Japanese? Something tells me that the game rng is broken.

Mine became that way after I installed City Living.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited January 2018
    My townies' names are so diverse I find myself wishing for a Smith or a Jones or a Williams to walk by. Can't remember the last time I saw one of those.
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    My townies' names are so diverse I find myself wishing for a Smith or a Jones or a Williams to walk by. Can't remember the last time I saw one of those.
    whenever i find sims with these names they end up being aliens.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    TodilooTodiloo Posts: 110 Member
    I don't play as the townies, but I love when they are diverse. I usually make families to balance up the ethnicities or mix it up in the neighbourhoods. Trying to create different ethnicities in CAS helps me to not get stuck and use the same objects all the time.
    Gallery ID: cykelnHH -mostly making realistic horseys
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > Why is every second random Townie a blonde Japanese? Something tells me that the game rng is broken.

Mine became that way after I installed City Living.

Exactly. Japanese names seems to be more likely to be generated than any other.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    For my game all townies are deleted on sight. My games are set up to be a reflection of a planet from a story series I wrote out a long time ago and the game does not generate sims that fall into the right aesthetic for it. I would say I have a decent range of skintones, but none of the sims reflect Earth cultures.
    To be honest, I don't think I've ever had the thought of adding more diversity to the sims in my game. I have better uses for that mental energy.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I'll admit, I love (don't really love) simmers losing it over Japanese/Indian/Arabic names. Yeah I often delete townies or modify them but I tend to stay true to ethnicity and keep their names. If I need more generic white sims, the Gallery is one click away.

Plus I only get those townies if I'm playing in San Myshuno for extended periods. Which is a pretty big design flaw with how TS4 worlds are linked. Everything's connected and nothing stays in one world, and Asian names aren't the biggest problem with that at all.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I don't have a problem with them except:
    1. There seems to be about 50% Japanese sims in my game and 50% all other nationalities
    2. They all look the same: the palest skin color, obese, with blonde hair.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    I'll admit, I love (don't really love) simmers losing it over Japanese/Indian/Arabic names. Yeah I often delete townies or modify them but I tend to stay true to ethnicity and keep their names. If I need more generic white sims, the Gallery is one click away.

Plus I only get those townies if I'm playing in San Myshuno for extended periods. Which is a pretty big design flaw with how TS4 worlds are linked. Everything's connected and nothing stays in one world, and Asian names aren't the biggest problem with that at all.

I do not mind those ethnicities. But, when about 99% of the townies generated are like that, it no longer is diverse. The diversity I give in my own games is names from about 6 different European countries(their cultures are have varying differences), and some Native American names (I do live near where the Souix are located in the USA so it is mostly that.) Maybe the game name generator engine needs a tune up.
  • Options
    procrasimnationprocrasimnation Posts: 3 New Member
    > @kemisz said:
    > Simpatsyann wrote: »
    >
    > Usually if I find I can't pronounce a name, or am unsure, I google it to find an audio clip.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I have a long and difficult to pronounce name. All I hear when people complain about the names in this game is, "It's not something I'm comfortable with so I wish you people would just disappear."
    >
    > So thank you for a very reasonable and practical solution that you offered, @Simpatsyann.

Seriously!

There does appear to be a Japanese translation which may well use different names, but Arabic speaking simmers have been learning how to pronounce weird foreign names like "Bachelor" and "Pleasant" since the series came out without grumbling, so I'm sure you can all cope with a few Ahmeds.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I like the diversity the game generates. I do spend hours though making over game generated sims (I play 12 different saves). I usually don't change their features, but hairstyle, clothes ... and especially make-up for dark-skinned sims, the choice of lipstick colors is lousy, so approx. 80% of my cc are lipsticks for sim ladies with darker skin tones.

I spend a lot of time changing out hairstyles and clothing. Sometimes I'll do a renaming if a Sim's looks don't really match the name, or I might tweak the looks just a bit. I use lists of baby names to come up with unique first names (for example, when a townie from the Wishing Well had boy/girl twins, I named them Jamal and Jamilah), and look up lists of surnames to come up with new names that suit my Sims. I'm not a big fan of multiple Sims with the same last name unless I know they're related (I've occasionally turned game-generated games into siblings using MCCC and move them in together if they share a last name) so I do a lot of last name changing.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    > @kemisz said:
    > Simpatsyann wrote: »
    >
    > Usually if I find I can't pronounce a name, or am unsure, I google it to find an audio clip.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I have a long and difficult to pronounce name. All I hear when people complain about the names in this game is, "It's not something I'm comfortable with so I wish you people would just disappear."
    >
    > So thank you for a very reasonable and practical solution that you offered, @Simpatsyann.

Seriously!

There does appear to be a Japanese translation which may well use different names, but Arabic speaking simmers have been learning how to pronounce weird foreign names like "Bachelor" and "Pleasant" since the series came out without grumbling, so I'm sure you can all cope with a few Ahmeds.

It's more the last names that I have issues with, so I'll look for another last name that's easier for me to handle but that's still in the culture. Behind The Name is a really good resource for last names.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I've got multiple families Mostly my stories take place in America-Europe.
    Navarro Family: Spanish+Brazilian+Samoan
    King Family: Irish+French+Egyptian+Native American
    Jordan Family: British+Greek+Italian
    Dior Family: French+Creole
    Montgomery Family: German
    Bourbon Family: Irish
    DuValée Family: French

Working on incorporating Asian and Polynesian families
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    ZilogManZilogMan Posts: 57 Member
    Diversity is great but the population of the Sims 4 world is too small to have a representative of the European, Asian and African phenotypes in each age range, it inevitably reduces the population to a few intermediate skin tones with crazily mix and match features.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I think it would be cool if the "worlds" in the game generated ethnic demographics based upon the real-life locations they're inspired by.
  • Options
    psyktpsykt Posts: 1,168 Member
    I don't use cc, but I enjoy making diverse sims. I already have a lot of them out on my gallery. My ID is saramonster if you wanna have a look.
    tumblr_oz7ve3uIkz1uz57gao1_540.jpg
  • Options
    ysa88ysa88 Posts: 260 Member
    edited January 2018
    So_Money wrote: »
    I think it would be cool if the "worlds" in the game generated ethnic demographics based upon the real-life locations they're inspired by.

I think this would be a really cool idea! So if in future, Asian style world - more Asian sims, etc. Another city world - diverse mixture.

simblr

ea id: ysa_88
  • Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    asesina wrote: »
    kemisz wrote: »
    Usually if I find I can't pronounce a name, or am unsure, I google it to find an audio clip.

I have a long and difficult to pronounce name. All I hear when people complain about the names in this game is, "It's not something I'm comfortable with so I wish you people would just disappear."

So thank you for a very reasonable and practical solution that you offered, @Simpatsyann.

Yikes, I certainly hope that's not how I came off and if I did, I apologize. I have no issue with the names per say. I know the game sometimes likes to be "silly" and the randomly generated names sometimes come off as a name someone outside of that ethnicity made up without any real regard or care.

Actually that's another reason I google them sometimes - to see if they're actual names or figure out what ethnicity they're based on. I remember in past Sims games they'd use the names of developers or others who worked on the game as part of the name table; I wonder if they still do.

@kemisz , thank you :)

This! I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to realise that the name of the Sim Gobias Koffi (came with TS3) is actually "Go buy us coffee"... :#

That I didn't even know :o
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    TodilooTodiloo Posts: 110 Member
    edited February 2018
    Here's two pictures I posted in a discussion about creating sims with no CC. And then I remembered this discussion, and I wanna upload them here as well. So these are the sims I've created that I'm the proudest of, and I think they show somewhat diversity in ethniticies.

39180732905_516ee64c2b_c.jpg
    39180487505_fa2d98d7a0_c.jpg
    Gallery ID: cykelnHH -mostly making realistic horseys
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    @Todiloo I love your sims!
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    ghilieghilie Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Todiloo, I really like the sim on the bottom right. Are your sims on the gallery?
    nZLbne1.jpg

• Options
    ghilieghilie Posts: 243 Member
    I like diversity in the sims. In general, I don't mind the townies and their names, but I am annoyed that it will use the same names over and over. I have half a dozen Monoubs and Srivistaras. Usually I will edit their names to something different but still within the ethnicity. I am bummed that the name pool for townies is so small.

I also try to make a wide variety of sims, especially Latinx or Black sims. I find they don't spawn as often as Asian or Middle Eastern sims. Maybe they would if I played more in Oasis Springs or Windenberg.
    nZLbne1.jpg

• Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited February 2018
    verlainem wrote: »
    I have discovered Tumblr
    Some sites have very diverse sims based on different countries.
    I have not really played with the diversity of my sims. Allowing Maxis generated townies with occasionally using MMCC to change hair and clothing with base and expansion packs no CC

Do you change up either your playable household and or the Townies to be more diverse than the game generates?

The short answer is yes.

The longer one: I like my main household to be very divergent from generation 1 to whenever I stop that family (what generation that may be) So I like to vary the pool I choose from. Also, I love the colors and flavors of the Simiverse and want to be able to look out over my creation worlds/towns and see a rainbow of shapes, sizes and colors. Like @Misa_wants_Pepsi I don't stress about it much, but to me Its beautiful to see the wider variety of human/sim cultures represented.

Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I create my own townies and edit the NPCs and put them in master save file. I have it all in my game. I don't pay much attention to race because my sims have no race. I do lean towards the mid tones though and few of the lights but that just because I don't like the darker colors on the ones I've created. Seen GORGEOUS ones that others have created but I'm just not that talented. If I could make great Asian sims, I would have more running around in my game. I've always thought they are beautiful. Shinya himself is a mix of Japanese and Italian as far story telling goes, but general game play there is none.

When I make transgender sims I try to make them so I myself have a hard time knowing what gender they are. I rather enjoy those "Well hello there 🐸🐸🐸🐸, wasn't expecting you today but we can play just the same." moments in the game.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´