Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Parenthood (Making a Mess)

The kids making a mess is becoming chaotic in public area's. In my Newcrest play, I was jogging around the block and where there are monkey bar's and a nearby picnic area, there were over 20 messes made by kids.

I had left my Sim in the area while taking control over the other one at home & noticed the unhappy/dirty mood on the sim I left in the area & was shocked at how many messes he was attempting to clean.

Perhaps toning it down some would be great.

I understand the feature & why it's there, but it was pretty out of control in my play-through.

No Mods or CC used.
OJGRGDT.gif

Comments

• Options
    Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    I agree, I have tried to get my sims kids to stop, I've asked them nicely, I've put them in time out and I've grounded them but they still keep continuing. They do it even more when I'm not playing that household, I can see them in the park defacing everything. :/
  • Options
    meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    It's not just your play-through. All toddlers/kids do this interaction constantly. On the positive level, Kids actually play in the parks now. It makes it much easier to complete the social aspiration, but the parks are constantly a mess. Even kids with maxed out responsibility do it constantly. Plus side, they get some free skill from it, but it isn't as efficient as other methods like the activity table or violin. There is a mod that stops it, but no other methods I'm aware of.
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    edited January 2018
    That's the problem with this game, the AI is either extreme or nonexistent, and it happens for so many things. Why can't they balance it properly like with previous games? It's extremely frustrating trying to play this game when the basic AI is so poorly programmed.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    RnM92 wrote: »
    That's the problem with this game, the AI is either extreme or nonexistent, and it happens for so many things. Why can't they balance it properly like with previous games? It's extremely frustrating trying to play this game when the basic AI is so poorly programmed.
    This is true.

I'd rather we got to choose the attraction of interactions.

It could be done with a config file which we could then edit.

Some mods kind of try to help with this, but they are not really a good solution - ie remove the brute force attraction of a Sim to a computer, etc.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Personally, I'd like it if this was just on a sims home lot rather tan outside of that.

Had caught one child doing this in a restaurant with their parents and just they sim parent didn't say ANYTHING. Your child is right there making a mess on the floor and you're blissfully ignoring it. Sim is on a date and the atmosphere was being ruined by this little booger. I wish parents would stop their kids from doing that or if your sim could at least scold the child and their parent. :#
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,227 Member
    Actually had a child start making a mess at his sister's wedding, until his father told him off. I made him go sit down.
    image.png
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    I am sorry it's happening in other player games, but also thankful that it's not just my play through experience.

I hope this is somehow addressed as I really enjoy the Parenthood pack & would be truly sad to disable it <3
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    megiaremegiare Posts: 421 Member
    Yup. It is way out of control. Here's that park in my save:

QearqdM.png
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Imagine aging virtually every Sim in the game into a child (which is possible) and seeing what carnage results from it.

I remember when toddlers came out and I would just randomly age a Sim into a toddler and leave them - ie go to the Goth's house and turn Mortimer into a toddler and let the household deal with their new problem - or do it to a Sim walking down the street.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited January 2018
    You knew what the pack was going to be Parenthood to teach kids responsibility and good manners so if you didn't want the messes in the neighborhood why did you even buy the gamepack? Were you expecting the messes to only be at your sims house or wherever the kids in your household went?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    You knew what the pack was going to be Parenthood to teach kids responsibility and good manners so if you didn't want the messes in the neighborhood why did you even buy the gamepack? Were you expecting the messes to only be at your sims house or wherever the kids in your household went?

That's not the point. The point is the excessiveness at which it is happening. Just look at my picture two posts above at the public park in Willow Creek. It is littered with messes that NO ONE buy the active household I'm in will clean up. I don't want to waste a day cleaning messes just to come back a day or two later for the same hot mess. No, thank you.

It is understood there will be messes made, BUT they do not need to be at this frequency. It is excessive.
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    Where exactly in the problem described does ‘teaching kids responsibility and good manners’ kick in? Because the way I understand it, it’s exactly that what’s missing here. The ability to do that. The theme of the pack is parenthood. Not vandalism.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I downloaded a mod as soon as it became available that actually stops kids from creating messes in the first place. It’s awesome.
  • Options
    MysticFaeMysticFae Posts: 82 Member
    I found it too excessive myself. I was so glad I found a mod that tones down how often it happens now. I don't want to have it never happen, but it shouldn't be all day, every day, everywhere!
    My Rebuild Willow Creek Updates:
    mysticfae24.tumblr.com/

Orgin Id: Mystic_Fae
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,903 Member
    edited January 2018
    Looks like I need to make a visit to the park. I'm afraid to go check now. :p
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Not surprisingly a feature of a pack swings from one extreme to another on this case to the negative. There is no need for npc kids to do this. It’s not like any adult on the lot can influence the kid or tell them to stop. I’ve noticed all kids automatically make a mess after playing on the monkey bars, I can see it in their queue if it’s my sim regardless of traits.

What is wrong with balance?
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member

I bought this pack because I expected it to be much more than just paint & cocoa powder flung all over the place. Yes I did expect this to only be an active household action, there is no reason for a non-active child to be doing this, since the whole point is for responsibility & discipline, and that only affects the active household. Where exactly in the game pack description did it state that literally every child, played or non-played, was going to saturate the world with these messes? And where did it state that discipline was going to have virtually no immediate effect on them, that they sometimes even start making another mess before the parents are even done scolding them?

Actually, pretty much every interaction in this pack annoys me, especially the phases which are also excessive. But I do like the school projects, CAS & build/buy objects it came with and that's enough for me to keep from uninstalling it & demanding my money back. But that doesn't mean I don't have the right to say, look, something here isn't working right. How can they fix problems if they don't know about them?
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    RnM92 wrote: »
    This is true.

I'd rather we got to choose the attraction of interactions.

It could be done with a config file which we could then edit.

Some mods kind of try to help with this, but they are not really a good solution - ie remove the brute force attraction of a Sim to a computer, etc.

I've been thinking that some sort of self-modding function would be cool. After all if the modding community can let us tune the games to our liking, then why can't the developers? (Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with what the modding community has done for the players, but some of us just prefer not to bother with them) After all we can control what objects & clothing we use, well clothing not so much, but there has been some improvement, so why not let us pick & choose our interactions as well? I know adding such a function would be quite an undertaking, but I think it would make a lot of simmers very happy.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    ldmarko wrote: »

I bought this pack because I expected it to be much more than just paint & cocoa powder flung all over the place. Yes I did expect this to only be an active household action, there is no reason for a non-active child to be doing this, since the whole point is for responsibility & discipline, and that only affects the active household. Where exactly in the game pack description did it state that literally every child, played or non-played, was going to saturate the world with these messes? And where did it state that discipline was going to have virtually no immediate effect on them, that they sometimes even start making another mess before the parents are even done scolding them?

Actually, pretty much every interaction in this pack annoys me, especially the phases which are also excessive. But I do like the school projects, CAS & build/buy objects it came with and that's enough for me to keep from uninstalling it & demanding my money back. But that doesn't mean I don't have the right to say, look, something here isn't working right. How can they fix problems if they don't know about them?

This. Some of the objects are nice. But the over excessive behaviours like flinging coffee/paint everywhere is too over the top. Tell the kid off and the kid will have the same reaction to if you "hug it out" More often than not they will go straight back to it. Great parenting!

The problem is though is that when people complained about autonomous punishments in the sims 3 that had an effect people complained. This is the result a game where the AI doesn't care unless you make them care. Where the only bad thing children will do is fling paint everywhere to the point where your world is covered in mess because its not just your active household that's programmed to do it. What I don't get is though, townie kids do not get character values, so if they don't have to "play" the system why get the behaviours associated with it? If they are going to get the behaviours then give all sims the power to say something about it.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

This. Some of the objects are nice. But the over excessive behaviours like flinging coffee/paint everywhere is too over the top. Tell the kid off and the kid will have the same reaction to if you "hug it out" More often than not they will go straight back to it. Great parenting!

The problem is though is that when people complained about autonomous punishments in the sims 3 that had an effect people complained. This is the result a game where the AI doesn't care unless you make them care. Where the only bad thing children will do is fling paint everywhere to the point where your world is covered in mess because its not just your active household that's programmed to do it. What I don't get is though, townie kids do not get character values, so if they don't have to "play" the system why get the behaviours associated with it? If they are going to get the behaviours then give all sims the power to say something about it.

Really? I had no idea some players complained about that. Though I will say - since they are my sims and I want to control them, not them controlling their own selves - I installed a mod that allowed me to decide when I child/teen should be punished. So for example, Jimmy's school grade dropped to a D. When he returned home from school a pop up would ask me if his mom or dad should scold him for those grades. I liked that control because then I could decide if it was warranted for a punishment. But, I also liked the fact that his parents not only took notice, but cared enough to want to see him do better in school.

And a lot of the time my sims kids who were suffering in school, their parents would sit down and do homework with them. On their own. This level of caring is almost completely lacking in Sims 4. The only time I've truly noticed sims showing any care in their offspring is with their toddlers, where they seem to be obsessed with checking on them. Outside of the, it's as if they aren't parents at all, and there just happens to be tiny simulated humans roaming around their house.

It's like with this game everything is either overly done or severely lacking done, there is no middle ground. My point with Laundry Stuff, my sims are constantly picking/brushing/tugging at their clothing now, then making either a frumpy face or pleased face due to the state of their clean clothes. I mean, they are doing this at least 5 times in a 30 sim minute time frame. Why? Yes, I know your clothes are clean or worn, I don't need you constantly reminding me.

I just wish that they could find a middle ground. I actually enjoyed the parenting system in Sims 2 and Sims 3, they could combine those and then improve upon it.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options

Really? I had no idea some players complained about that. Though I will say - since they are my sims and I want to control them, not them controlling their own selves - I installed a mod that allowed me to decide when I child/teen should be punished. So for example, Jimmy's school grade dropped to a D. When he returned home from school a pop up would ask me if his mom or dad should scold him for those grades. I liked that control because then I could decide if it was warranted for a punishment. But, I also liked the fact that his parents not only took notice, but cared enough to want to see him do better in school.

And a lot of the time my sims kids who were suffering in school, their parents would sit down and do homework with them. On their own. This level of caring is almost completely lacking in Sims 4. The only time I've truly noticed sims showing any care in their offspring is with their toddlers, where they seem to be obsessed with checking on them. Outside of the, it's as if they aren't parents at all, and there just happens to be tiny simulated humans roaming around their house.

It's like with this game everything is either overly done or severely lacking done, there is no middle ground. My point with Laundry Stuff, my sims are constantly picking/brushing/tugging at their clothing now, then making either a frumpy face or pleased face due to the state of their clean clothes. I mean, they are doing this at least 5 times in a 30 sim minute time frame. Why? Yes, I know your clothes are clean or worn, I don't need you constantly reminding me.

I just wish that they could find a middle ground. I actually enjoyed the parenting system in Sims 2 and Sims 3, they could combine those and then improve upon it.

Yup people complained the game was making decisions for them. Don’t get me wrong I like choices but the sims 3 autonomous punishments were easy enough to cancel if I didn’t like it. But I love the fact that sims cared about their kids. They notice when their kids are being brats and they act upon it. If I make my kid play 10 pranks in a row I want to see consequence, otherwise what is the point?

I totally agree sims 4 parents are vaguely aware there are some short sims living in the house. And also that there is no balance. Everything swings in one extreme to another. Case in point paint everywhere!
  • Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    Could the amount of messes go down if Sims families volunteer more often?
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    @MEGIARE omg lol, that's exactly what the area looked like in my game!!! 100% spot on :smile:
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    @MEGIARE omg lol, that's exactly what the area looked like in my game!!! 100% spot on :smile:

I've tried cleaning it, but it's no use. As your sim is cleaning one spot, there's 2 other kids making new messes. Oy vey.

(I have no idea who is in your sig, but he's looks like a snack o:)o:) )
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • Options
    jude72pla wrote: »
    Could the amount of messes go down if Sims families volunteer more often?

Interesting thought, but I haven't seen anyone mention it yet. I think maybe higher responsibility and emotional control and they'll do it less? Idk.
    aD9wyNW.jpg