Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will we ever get a way to customize public spaces?

The public spaces have come a long way, when all there used to be to do was Chess, Gardening, and playgrounds in the public spaces, now there are Basketball courts, musicians, entertainers, food stands, festivals, etc.

While all that is wonderful, will we ever get the ability to customize these ourselves? I can completely understand San Myshuno not being customizable, because the way that world works is different, with many overlays and furniture that constantly changes, sounds like a nightmare to customize.

But what about the other worlds?

Many of us used the set as head cheat and then reset our sims to customize our worlds, but that was "fixed" in the latest patch. Something like that should have never been fixed imo. Remember when Aliens couldn't be customized and we found a work around with the mannequins? I remember Graham commented that he really enjoyed that "bug" and didn't want to "fix" it. We wound up getting a patch that let us customize aliens thankfully.

Many players like to customize their worlds, there were plenty in sims 3 that even liked to build actual worlds themselves. While this isn't that extreme, it would be a push in the right direction.
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

Comments

• Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    edited December 2017
    No sadly. I really hate that they fixed that "glitch".
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I wish. I mean I know you can spawn objects but that runs the risk of ruining saves. I tried it with ponds and it get stuck in the middle of the road. I don't mind not having open world, but two things that bother me the most about neighborhoods is not being able to place my own objects and two not being able to change the landscape with pond and terrain tools. I don't like not being able to pick my own lot sizes either. There are some spots in neighborhoods I'm like there is all this empty space I wish I could build on and make my lot larger with.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Phoenix_ForcePhoenix_Force Posts: 44 Member
    This frustrates me so much. There are so many public spaces in Windenburg, but I never use them because there’s little to do. Even though they all look nice and would be perfect for storytelling. But placing objects from inventory is just not very intuitive. The lack of interaction and the ability to customize, does make the world feel a bit fake and static at times.
    Origin name: Duuuc
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,455 Member
    Thought you could use the "freebuild" cheat to change/add to parks or other public places? I added toddler stuff to the the park in Willow Creek; also used it to change a couple things at the science lab once. Or am I misunderstanding what the OP meant by customizing (which is most likely)?
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    Thought you could use the "freebuild" cheat to change/add to parks or other public places? I added toddler stuff to the the park in Willow Creek; also used it to change a couple things at the science lab once. Or am I misunderstanding what the OP meant by customizing (which is most likely)?

I think you misunderstood it, public spaces are spaces that is located outside of a lot. Example was in the Neighborhood where the Goth live. Public spaces are playground, the garden and all the object that can be found outside of the lot.
  • Options
    LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    I'd love this, yes. Even if they'd put in requirements like... 'if you don't have these objects in it, can't save it' or some such. Especially for the simplest thing of adding garbage bins everywhere. It's annoying when you can't clean stuff in-world just because there's no garbage bins.

Would be fun to add food kiosks around, too!
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,455 Member
    Thanks @TS1299, I had a feeling I was misunderstanding it ☺. And, like everyone else, I'd like to edit thoae areas too.
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Yeah, folks were sure up in arms about that Set As Head Cheat--I mean glitch. I can't believe they waited this long to fix it--what a relief! [/sarcasm] :smirk:

Thing is, tho, even with the stuff that goes into the personal inventory, it's not ideal trying to Place In World. My Sim would like to sit on the shore in his lawn chair, thanks for making that possible. Would it be too much to ask if he could face the water, and also, not have his back turned to the person with whom he's trying to converse? :p
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Eh, unless they also give us a Sims 2-style Create-A-World, I don't think we'll see that happen, even though they know darn well that not being able to create our own worlds or edit existing ones is one of the things driving us players insane right now. One of many, many things...#NeverRushGamesToMarket #RememberETForAtari
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    One of the things I miss the most about TS1 is how if you installed add-ons in a certain order, objects from another pack were used for community lots.

I understand designing two versions of each world, a stand alone and the other with backward compatibility, is impossible for "zero dev time" TS4, especially in played saves, but if I have to go through the trouble of adding objects from other packs where they fit perfectly, at least let me add them to neighborhoods and not just lots.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    Thanks @TS1299, I had a feeling I was misunderstanding it ☺. And, like everyone else, I'd like to edit thoae areas too.
    @Starfree Your Welcome
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    I saw they removed the cheat because placing things in those areas was the reason why people were getting lag and other issues in their game. Those areas are not programmed to allow players to change them at all. So I guess the answer is no - we probably will never be able to change them.

If you notice this is the first sims game we did not get any neighborhood editing or Build stuff to edit the neighborhood with. We can only edit lots - other wise we break the game apparently.

I understand this game engine has what is called Smart Routing in it - and where the game engine uses the smart routing - only devs can alter those areas.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    With how heavily structured every world is I would say probably no editing. If they had to remove the ‘set as head’ cheat that’s a confirmation that neighborhood modifications are something that will break the game and not something Maxis is going to add anytime soon, or at all.

Each world in Sims 4 is entirely different even down to the terrain objects and routing paths. Also taking into account every object in the ‘world’ is hard coded into the terrain and not a placed object like they were in Sims 3 it seems very unlikely that we will be afforded that kind of customization. I don’t think there’s much they can actually do with the worlds in regards to dynamic customization features. They pick what is included, and build the world to function with that content there.