Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    @igazor thank you you have been so helpful! Gone with the wind tho
    LOL, it's the first really long movie that I thought of. Yes, I am old. Or getting there, anyway. And you're welcome. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    BrittlorcruzBrittlorcruz Posts: 29 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > Brittlorcruz wrote: »
    >
    > @igazor i don't know if it makes a difference, but I also do not download custom content. Only mods... I know CC can take up a lot of space and i can embarrassingly say I have never downloaded any lol
    >
    >
    >
    > We all have different play styles. Mods don't really take up that much space unless you have thousands of them. In my case, my CC store is only 1 or 2 GBs but I tend to have over a hundred spare copies of my ongoing six year old saved game from various points in time -- no way those would fit on the Windows partition that I play the game on as it's "only" about 350 GB total, so I store most of the older stuff and backed up copies of my game folder on an external and retrieve them only when needed.
    >
    > But if I suddenly decided that I must have high def copies of Gone With the Wind and many other other 4 hour movies stored on the same partition (not likely), or if I suddenly decided to start playing a different game with high storage needs, then I might have to rethink things myself. :)
    >
    > Again, chances are you'll be fine if you check on the available space occasionally and don't get carried away with excess files before the external drive happens.

@igazor ugh i think its stupid mobile that keeps cutting off my comments... I was saying thank you so much for your help. I will keep what I ordered and if I somehow need more space for extra things i can just order the internal!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited December 2017
    @igazor yes I play on 256 gb ssd however I do have that extra 1 tb hard drive and I don't have allot of cc installed. Having a computer with only 256 gb can get used up quickly. Also The amount of hard drive is never exact. We were helping that Christoper user. He only had 224 gb ssd when it was advertised as 256 gb. It will never be the exact amount stated so they may get less hard drive space than expected . Both mine are actually a little over 256 gb
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > @igazor yes I play on 256 gb ssd however I do have that extra 1 tb hard drive and I don't have allot of cc installed. Having a computer with only 256 gb can get used up quickly. Also The amount of hard drive is never exact. We were helping that Christoper user. He only had 224 gb ssd when it was advertised as 256 gb. It will never be the exact amount stated so they may get less hard drive space than expected . Both mine are actually a little over 256 gb

@phoebebebe13 hi! any recommendations on a good laptop? i may return the alienware than
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    If you are going to reconsider the purchase already made, is there no hope for the same or similar model but with a 512 GB SSD (or a second internal drive) that your sales rep can suggest?

But I'll leave you in @phoebebebe13's capable hands. She's our resident shopping expert, among other things. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > @igazor yes I play on 256 gb ssd however I do have that extra 1 tb hard drive and I don't have allot of cc installed. Having a computer with only 256 gb can get used up quickly. Also The amount of hard drive is never exact. We were helping that Christoper user. He only had 224 gb ssd when it was advertised as 256 gb. It will never be the exact amount stated so they may get less hard drive space than expected . Both mine are actually a little over 256 gb

@phoebebebe13 hi! any recommendations on a good laptop? i may return the alienware than

Alienware is overpriced for what they give you. Your paying for the name. What's your budget and country? I have to go somewhere and i don't know if I will be back on. If I can't get back on here today speak to @chesterbigbird.She can also help you but she will also need your budget, country and what games you are playing if you are playing more than the sims 3
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > > @igazor yes I play on 256 gb ssd however I do have that extra 1 tb hard drive and I don't have allot of cc installed. Having a computer with only 256 gb can get used up quickly. Also The amount of hard drive is never exact. We were helping that Christoper user. He only had 224 gb ssd when it was advertised as 256 gb. It will never be the exact amount stated so they may get less hard drive space than expected . Both mine are actually a little over 256 gb
    >
    > @phoebebebe13 hi! any recommendations on a good laptop? i may return the alienware than
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Alienware is overpriced for what they give you. Your paying for the name. What's your budget and country? I have to go somewhere and i don't know if I will be back on. If I can't get back on here today speak to @chesterbigbird.She can also help you but she will also need your budget, country and what games you are playing if you are playing more than the sims 3

@phoebebebe13 thanks! @chesterbigbird my budget I would like to stay around 1000-1200. I'm playing in the us, and sims 3 plus all expansions on ultra settings will be the only thing i play
  • Options
    [quote="Brittlorcruz;c-16221575"]> @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > > @igazor yes I play on 256 gb ssd however I do have that extra 1 tb hard drive and I don't have allot of cc installed. Having a computer with only 256 gb can get used up quickly. Also The amount of hard drive is never exact. We were helping that Christoper user. He only had 224 gb ssd when it was advertised as 256 gb. It will never be the exact amount stated so they may get less hard drive space than expected . Both mine are actually a little over 256 gb
    >
    > @phoebebebe13 hi! any recommendations on a good laptop? i may return the alienware than
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Alienware is overpriced for what they give you. Your paying for the name. What's your budget and country? I have to go somewhere and i don't know if I will be back on. If I can't get back on here today speak to @chesterbigbird.She can also help you but she will also need your budget, country and what games you are playing if you are playing more than the sims 3

@phoebebebe13 thanks! @chesterbigbird my budget I would like to stay around 1000-1200. I'm playing in the us, and sims 3 plus all expansions on ultra settings will be the only thing i play [/quote]

Sorry to spam, but I just found out my particular laptop I ordered comes with 2 m.2 ssd slots... would it be possible to put another larger ssd (500-1tb) in the second slot? Would that be ideal? Only 1 ssd drive comes with the laptop so I would need to purchase another for the other slot
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited December 2017
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

@phoebebebe13 thanks! @chesterbigbird my budget I would like to stay around 1000-1200. I'm playing in the us, and sims 3 plus all expansions on ultra settings will be the only thing i play

Sorry to spam, but I just found out my particular laptop I ordered comes with 2 m.2 ssd slots... would it be possible to put another larger ssd (500-1tb) in the second slot? Would that be ideal? Only 1 ssd drive comes with the laptop so I would need to purchase another for the other slot

You can add another if you do not want to return it and buy something else.
    It is a fairly simple upgrade, but you are spending more which would make the alienware even more overpriced.
    If you want to upgrade i have seen it will not void the warranty (but the new SSD will not be included in the warranty.) and these would be ok (make sure first.)
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820250082
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147399
    How much did you pay for the Alienware? I'm sure you could find something with far better specs for the same price or cheaper.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    [quote="chesterbigbird;c-16221953"][quote="Brittlorcruz;c-16221852"][quote="Brittlorcruz;c-16221575"]> @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

@phoebebebe13 thanks! @chesterbigbird my budget I would like to stay around 1000-1200. I'm playing in the us, and sims 3 plus all expansions on ultra settings will be the only thing i play [/quote]

[/quote]

It is a fairly simple upgrade, but you are spending more which would make the alienware even more overpriced.
    If you want to upgrade i have seen it will not void the warranty and these would be ok (make sure first
    How much did you pay for the Alienware? I'm sure you could find something with far better specs for the same price or cheaper.

[/quote]

@chesterbigbird the original price I think was 1699.00. But I got it on sale for 1349
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird also, I am thinking to maybe upgrade once my warranty expires to be safe
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

If you want to upgrade i have seen it will not void the warranty and these would be ok (make sure first

@chesterbigbird the original price I think was 1699.00. But I got it on sale for 1349

So that would take it to just about the $1500 mark with another SSD, and you only have a very small screen too.
    this would of made a better laptop
    https://www.amazon.com/GE62VR-Apache-i7-7700HQ-Geforce-Windows/dp/B06WWP74FC/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1513643103&sr=1-20&keywords=gaming+laptop&refinements=p_36:2421891011&th=1
    Bigger SSD plus the HDD/bigger screen and more ram.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @chesterbigbird also, I am thinking to maybe upgrade once my warranty expires to be safe

You will run out of space before then, You need to keep at least 10% free on that drive.
    If windows does not have enough space you may run into issues.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    >
    > chesterbigbird wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > > Brittlorcruz wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > > > @igazor yes I play on 256 gb ssd however I do have that extra 1 tb hard drive and I don't have allot of cc installed. Having a computer with only 256 gb can get used up quickly. Also The amount of hard drive is never exact. We were helping that Christoper user. He only had 224 gb ssd when it was advertised as 256 gb. It will never be the exact amount stated so they may get less hard drive space than expected . Both mine are actually a little over 256 gb
    > >
    > > @phoebebebe13 hi! any recommendations on a good laptop? i may return the alienware than
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Alienware is overpriced for what they give you. Your paying for the name. What's your budget and country? I have to go somewhere and i don't know if I will be back on. If I can't get back on here today speak to @chesterbigbird.She can also help you but she will also need your budget, country and what games you are playing if you are playing more than the sims 3
    >
    >
    > @phoebebebe13 thanks! @chesterbigbird my budget I would like to stay around 1000-1200. I'm playing in the us, and sims 3 plus all expansions on ultra settings will be the only thing i play
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sorry to spam, but I just found out my particular laptop I ordered comes with 2 m.2 ssd slots... would it be possible to put another larger ssd (500-1tb) in the second slot? Would that be ideal? Only 1 ssd drive comes with the laptop so I would need to purchase another for the other slot
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You can add another if you do not want to return it and buy something else.
    > It is a fairly simple upgrade, but you are spending more which would make the alienware even more overpriced.
    > If you want to upgrade i have seen it will not void the warranty and these would be ok (make sure first
    > How much did you pay for the Alienware? I'm sure you could find something with far better specs for the same price or cheaper.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > @chesterbigbird the original price I think was 1699.00. But I got it on sale for 1349
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > So that would take it to just about the $1500 mark with another SSD, and you only have a very small screen too.
    > this would of made a better laptop
    >
    > Bigger SSD plus the HDD/bigger screen and more ram.

@chesterbigbird
    I wish I came here first
  • Options
    > @Brittlorcruz said:
    > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > >
    > > chesterbigbird wrote: »
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > > Brittlorcruz wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > > > > @igazor yes I play on 256 gb ssd however I do have that extra 1 tb hard drive and I don't have allot of cc installed. Having a computer with only 256 gb can get used up quickly. Also The amount of hard drive is never exact. We were helping that Christoper user. He only had 224 gb ssd when it was advertised as 256 gb. It will never be the exact amount stated so they may get less hard drive space than expected . Both mine are actually a little over 256 gb
    > > >
    > > > @phoebebebe13 hi! any recommendations on a good laptop? i may return the alienware than
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Alienware is overpriced for what they give you. Your paying for the name. What's your budget and country? I have to go somewhere and i don't know if I will be back on. If I can't get back on here today speak to @chesterbigbird.She can also help you but she will also need your budget, country and what games you are playing if you are playing more than the sims 3
    > >
    > >
    > > @phoebebebe13 thanks! @chesterbigbird my budget I would like to stay around 1000-1200. I'm playing in the us, and sims 3 plus all expansions on ultra settings will be the only thing i play
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Sorry to spam, but I just found out my particular laptop I ordered comes with 2 m.2 ssd slots... would it be possible to put another larger ssd (500-1tb) in the second slot? Would that be ideal? Only 1 ssd drive comes with the laptop so I would need to purchase another for the other slot
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > You can add another if you do not want to return it and buy something else.
    > > It is a fairly simple upgrade, but you are spending more which would make the alienware even more overpriced.
    > > If you want to upgrade i have seen it will not void the warranty and these would be ok (make sure first
    > > How much did you pay for the Alienware? I'm sure you could find something with far better specs for the same price or cheaper.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > @chesterbigbird the original price I think was 1699.00. But I got it on sale for 1349
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > So that would take it to just about the $1500 mark with another SSD, and you only have a very small screen too.
    > > this would of made a better laptop
    > >
    > > Bigger SSD plus the HDD/bigger screen and more ram.
    >
    >
    > @chesterbigbird
    > I wish I came here first

@chesterbigbird just spoke to a dell rep and she told me since the laptop is custom built if I send it back I have to pay a 15% restocking fees and shipping. So it will cost $200 just to send the laptop back. Do you think it's worth it?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    > @Brittlorcruz said:
    > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > >
    > > chesterbigbird wrote: »
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > > Brittlorcruz wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > > > > @igazor yes I play on 256 gb ssd however I do have that extra 1 tb hard drive and I don't have allot of cc installed. Having a computer with only 256 gb can get used up quickly. Also The amount of hard drive is never exact. We were helping that Christoper user. He only had 224 gb ssd when it was advertised as 256 gb. It will never be the exact amount stated so they may get less hard drive space than expected . Both mine are actually a little over 256 gb
    > > >
    > > > @phoebebebe13 hi! any recommendations on a good laptop? i may return the alienware than
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Alienware is overpriced for what they give you. Your paying for the name. What's your budget and country? I have to go somewhere and i don't know if I will be back on. If I can't get back on here today speak to @chesterbigbird.She can also help you but she will also need your budget, country and what games you are playing if you are playing more than the sims 3
    > >
    > >
    > > @phoebebebe13 thanks! @chesterbigbird my budget I would like to stay around 1000-1200. I'm playing in the us, and sims 3 plus all expansions on ultra settings will be the only thing i play
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Sorry to spam, but I just found out my particular laptop I ordered comes with 2 m.2 ssd slots... would it be possible to put another larger ssd (500-1tb) in the second slot? Would that be ideal? Only 1 ssd drive comes with the laptop so I would need to purchase another for the other slot
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > You can add another if you do not want to return it and buy something else.
    > > It is a fairly simple upgrade, but you are spending more which would make the alienware even more overpriced.
    > > If you want to upgrade i have seen it will not void the warranty and these would be ok (make sure first
    > > How much did you pay for the Alienware? I'm sure you could find something with far better specs for the same price or cheaper.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > @chesterbigbird the original price I think was 1699.00. But I got it on sale for 1349
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > So that would take it to just about the $1500 mark with another SSD, and you only have a very small screen too.
    > > this would of made a better laptop
    > >
    > > Bigger SSD plus the HDD/bigger screen and more ram.
    >
    >
    > @chesterbigbird
    > I wish I came here first

@chesterbigbird just spoke to a dell rep and she told me since the laptop is custom built if I send it back I have to pay a 15% restocking fees and shipping. So it will cost $200 just to send the laptop back. Do you think it's worth it?

keep it then, anther reason i hate DELL lol. i think Lenovo do the same thing with restocking fee.
    I would just spend the money and get another SSD.
    However if you are not happy with the laptop then do send it back.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @chesterbigbird I'll do that then! I'll just buy a big 2nd ssd and get it installed. Thank you so much for ur help
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird I'll do that then! I'll just buy a big 2nd ssd and get it installed. Thank you so much for ur help

Your Welcome.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @chesterbigbird so I ordered a 500gb Samsung 960 EVO PCIE SSD.... it arrives tomorrow with my laptop. Should I use that drive as the main boot drive since it's larger than the 256gb? Will it when work? If so should I install it when my computer gets here before I download sims so i can put everything straight on it? And how do I install the drive lol I know a lot of questions
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @chesterbigbird so I ordered a 500gb Samsung 960 EVO PCIE SSD.... it arrives tomorrow with my laptop. Should I use that drive as the main boot drive since it's larger than the 256gb? Will it when work? If so should I install it when my computer gets here before I download sims so i can put everything straight on it? And how do I install the drive lol I know a lot of questions
    This one?
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147594
    Only one slot on your laptop supports PCIE/NVME. So i'm not sure what will happen there, your likely get s speed loss.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpxZIOBPmiY
    It's best to email them and double check it's ok to add that drive.. not replace the current one.
    You will need to keep windows where it is or you will need to re install it all over again. So keep windows on your current drive and add games to the new one.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @chesterbigbird ugh. An Alienware rep said that it's 2 PCIe slots
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird so my second drive should be sata?
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird so my second drive should be sata?

Taken from youtube
    "Question i have the 13 r3. Are both M.2 slots full 4 lane PCIE NVME or is one SATA? I am looking to buy a new NVME drive and I want to make sure i put it in the best slot if they are different.

Alienware Services
    Alienware Services
    3 weeks ago
    Hi,
    To confirm, only slot 0 supports PCIE/NVME."
    This why you need to make sure, because if one of them is not PCIE/NVME then you should be buying the sata.
    Maybe call them and tell them your serial number which will tell them the exact model (as they are custom) And they can tell you exactly what it is.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @chesterbigbird thank you. To be safe I switched it to the Samsung 860 EVO sata while I was waiting for your response and before it shipped. It's 500 gb. Can i keep my OS on the PCIe and download the sims to the SATA?
  • Options
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide