Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cats and dogs is kind of worse then I expected.

Comments

• Options
    silkydreamgirl10silkydreamgirl10 Posts: 61 Member
    > @drake_mccarty said:
    > silkydreamgirl10 wrote: »
    >
    > > @muzickmage said:
    > > Here's the crazy part people.
    > >
    > > EA set up the pets as NPC's that we can't control. However.... if you take notice to the gameplay with the pets... they have to be micromanaged. They basically do nothing until you interact with them and instruct them to do something.
    > >
    > > While at the same time, interacting with the pets cancels out your ability to do much of anything else (in the sense of "multitasking").
    > >
    > > For example: if you have the dog on a leash, any action you choose, that isn't dominantly limited to the life's existance of the dog itself, just hangs in the queve until you cancel the leash action. Such as check mail, or jog to clear mind, etc.
    >
    >
    > When I walk them everyone gets stuck and does nothing! My sim always pees herself and I end up having to restart the game so no one dies! And people say its the mods and I know it's not because I have never used them!! They need to fix it this game has too many glitches and the crazy thing it I can't even repair it cuz it has not installed in origin! Idk how I'm even able to play it
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Restart Origin. I had the same issue when I installed it on my Mac (said it needed to be installed) but after loading the game it was in fact installed. Once I restarted Origin it was correctly listed as installed. Hope this helps!

thanks but no doesnt work i always have to restart origin because it wont connect me to the internet unless i do
  • Options
    xXDrewXxxXDrewXx Posts: 69 Member
    edited November 2017
    I would like more colours for pet training items and a larger choice for beds!

edit: Though they did add a lot of nice content for the game there was actually very little for the pets themselves, especially dogs.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    xXDrewXx wrote: »
    I would like more colours for pet training items and a larger choice for beds!

edit: Though they did add a lot of nice content for the game there was actually very little for the pets themselves, especially dogs.

Why does this not surprise me for a "The Sims 4" game? The main beef of a game actually getting little content is quite common in this series. So when we get The Sims 4: Seasons I expect rain and snow to be omitted for only fog and bad hair! Cheers!
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    edited November 2017
    CAP's not as great and easy as I thought it would be. I tried remaking my cat from Sims 3. Fairly simple base coat with a layer of spots, a layer of stripes, and two layers of socks. It's not possible in CAP, The colors for the spots is a sky blue and the stripes are cyan. I tried using these colors in cap and layer spots/stripes using the outlines, but the colors looked exactly the same on the pet, even though they were distinctly different.
    I also tried making a poodle, which was solid black with white on it. I had a white pattern on part of it I didn't like so I went back into paint mode, selected black and painted over it. It was not the same as the black base coat(the base coat now looked faded/brown), even though I selected the same black.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited November 2017
    After playing for a whole day jumping between CAS/P, Buy/Build, and Gameplay I have to say that I am utterly disappointed and annoyed that I paid full price for this.

Brindleton Bay:
    -Very small- And I don't only mean the amount of lots and neighbourhoods. Apart from the Something Cove neighbourhood that has a fair amount of space to walk around (and only to walk around, not much else), the rest of the neighbourhoods are tiny, there's not much going on and it feels crowded with little space to move around. Most of the areas you see are only fx and backdrop.
    -Unfinished- With floating stuff and glitchy terrain that abducts sims' feet when they walk around, or fishing signs pointing the wrong way.
    -Full of Strays- that are actually clones of pets that other sims own, like Josie this cat with a vest that belongs to the lady at the docks keeps appearing as a stray in my game but also as owned by her when she visits the pet clinic.

CAP is underwhelming especially if you are not into plum costumes or rainbow cats. They look cute and you can add different colours to their furs but we had a fully fleshed colour wheel in TS3 so it is actually not that groundbreaking.
    Well that's a surprise to here... no I don't mean how CAP is very underwhelming, because I never thought somebody would call it like that. CAST surely has something for everyone. Even If you don't want rainbow, you can always use realistic colors for the pet and create new breeds with the whole CAP thing. Just curious no why you think it's underwhelming? Would you like to elaborate on it.

You can't really do as much as it seems at first and it's not as intuitive either. I like the large selection of breeds and such but I think the hype was too much. We had a colour wheel back in TS3 and many of the features CAP brings back this time around. With all their claims about how SOOOOO MUCH better than in previous iterations CAP was, I was expecting to be blown away. But, in fact, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Here, a perfect example:
    Rae357 wrote: »
    CAP's not as great and easy as I thought it would be. I tried remaking my cat from Sims 3. Fairly simple base coat with a layer of spots, a layer of stripes, and two layers of socks. It's not possible in CAP, The colors for the spots is a sky blue and the stripes are cyan. I tried using these colors in cap and layer spots/stripes using the outlines, but the colors looked exactly the same on the pet, even though they were distinctly different.
    I also tried making a poodle, which was solid black with white on it. I had a white pattern on part of it I didn't like so I went back into paint mode, selected black and painted over it. It was not the same as the black base coat(the base coat now looked faded/brown), even though I selected the same black.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    The CAP for me is not as great as Sims 3. I have limited options when trying to shape any animal. The Colors are off when you paint. Then there is what the dog (the one I did was an African Wild Dog) look pretty decent in CAP and when in world (live play) looked washed out in colors. If I had Sims 3 I could of done an African Wild Dog that looked like an AWD. My husband also did some pretty fantastic hyenas in Sims 3, don't see it as an option in 4; simply because of the limited shaping. So, I am seriously disappointed because the hype was not true.

<.< On a good note my husband loves the EP... Then again he plays it very little and hasn't run into the many issues. Like I went in to add a collar to a stray cat I adopted and It would not let me do it because it demanded a pet breed...>.> LOL, an option you can not do in plan outfits.
  • Options
    tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited November 2017
    gamekitten wrote: »
    Then there is what the dog (the one I did was an African Wild Dog) look pretty decent in CAP and when in world (live play) looked washed out in colors.

I had this same issue in Sims 3 too though. What I made in CAP didn't look exactly right in game, with washy colours and stuff. Sims 4 CAP isn't any different. Overall though, I'm really happy with Sims 4 CAP. Yes, there's no more layers, but there's far more customization, especially with the new ear and eye shapes. I could even make a cross-eyed Ed that would have been impossible to do in Sims 3. I can still manage to make cool things even without the use of layers. It's the best CAP yet IMO.
  • Options
    zellybeaniezellybeanie Posts: 51 Member
    I love the pack, and after a few snags centered around mods, my game has been running smoothly. The pets have given the game a more interesting dynamic. Now I'm more likely to stop and talk to neighbors while walking our dogs. Pets are far more unique in this, and I'm loving the interactions.
    My gameplay blog: http://zeedunsim.tumblr.com
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Cynna wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »

In my opinion, it goes:

The Sims 2: Pets (console, but is a sandbox like PC) > The Sims 3: Pets (console, but is a sandbox like PC) > The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs > The Sims Pets Stories > The Sims 2: Pets > The Sims 3: Pets > The Sims: Unleashed.

The Sims 3 for PC was super lazy. They gave us control, because they skipped giving them personalities. They skipped giving Pets unique quirks. They skipped giving them animations. We got only a handful of animations that didn't come from The Urbz, or The Sims 2 Pet games. 90% of the animations were recycled, with 50% less gameplay.

In Cats & Dogs, if my Pet is hungry they will bark at their owner. They will bring the dog bowl to them. They will wait near their food bowl.
    Sims 3 Pets? Just a thought bubble with a food icon & red needs. Occasional idle animations.

The Sims 2: Pets for console is the best, because there's so much for Cats & Dogs. And there are so many animations for them, and they have incredible personalities. It's so fun just watching them. You can see their stats but they also interact with their owner like in Cats & Dogs.

The Sims 3 Pets for console is so much better. Rather than cheap out and do less with more, the focus was entirely on Cats & Dogs. And the result is amazing. Heaps of exclusive animations over the PC team. Pets have jobs, active careers the whole thing. They don't really interact with their owners like in Cats & Dogs, but there's a lot for them.

Pet Stories is like the Sims 2 Pets, but again has way more stuff from what I feel. Things like exclusive accessories and objects, but also activities and agility courses. The Pets are from Urbz, though.

Sims 2 Pets is like Pet Stories, but with less. Also, borrows too heavily from The Urbz Pets.

& Unleashed is cute but simple.

Cats & Dogs is the first Pets came we've had since The Urbz, that didn't recycle Cats & Dogs from a previous pack. And it really makes the AI of previous Pets show their age. However, the AI and Animation aren't as good as The Sims 2: Pets for console. That team spent a huge budget on those Pets, and they are the best to date.

This is an interesting post.

As someone who has never owned a console, I find it interesting that, according to your posts, the consoles had more to offer in general than the PC counterpart. This is something that also seems to have been borne out in comparison to the PC and the Sims Freeplay for mobiles.

In general, PCs have so much more processing power (that gap is closing, however), yet EA hasn't taken advantage of that. The amount of different interactions in Freeplay is staggering in comparison to the any version of the PC games, for example.

I wish I knew why that is.

Because PC games are heavily pirated, while Console games are not. Same with Mobile.
    The console games always got more features.

Heck, the Sims 3 had things like Weather, Swimmable Beaches etc. all included at launch for free.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Because PC games are heavily pirated, while Console games are not. Same with Mobile.

Heck, the Sims 3 had things like Weather, Swimmable Beaches etc. all included at launch for free.

consoles would never get expansions, so they would get a bit more integrated things up front. Some console versions (particularly TS2 and TS1) were made from ground up by different teams with no consideration for already existing versions (the same happened with Harry Potter games), so as a result you had a very unique game on each platform. PSP got an RPG for example, TS1 and TS2 on playstation had adventure-like goals while still being a sims game too.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @Cynna wrote: »

In my opinion, it goes:

The Sims 2: Pets (console, but is a sandbox like PC) > The Sims 3: Pets (console, but is a sandbox like PC) > The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs > The Sims Pets Stories > The Sims 2: Pets > The Sims 3: Pets > The Sims: Unleashed.

The Sims 3 for PC was super lazy. They gave us control, because they skipped giving them personalities. They skipped giving Pets unique quirks. They skipped giving them animations. We got only a handful of animations that didn't come from The Urbz, or The Sims 2 Pet games. 90% of the animations were recycled, with 50% less gameplay.

In Cats & Dogs, if my Pet is hungry they will bark at their owner. They will bring the dog bowl to them. They will wait near their food bowl.
    Sims 3 Pets? Just a thought bubble with a food icon & red needs. Occasional idle animations.

The Sims 2: Pets for console is the best, because there's so much for Cats & Dogs. And there are so many animations for them, and they have incredible personalities. It's so fun just watching them. You can see their stats but they also interact with their owner like in Cats & Dogs.

The Sims 3 Pets for console is so much better. Rather than cheap out and do less with more, the focus was entirely on Cats & Dogs. And the result is amazing. Heaps of exclusive animations over the PC team. Pets have jobs, active careers the whole thing. They don't really interact with their owners like in Cats & Dogs, but there's a lot for them.

Pet Stories is like the Sims 2 Pets, but again has way more stuff from what I feel. Things like exclusive accessories and objects, but also activities and agility courses. The Pets are from Urbz, though.

Sims 2 Pets is like Pet Stories, but with less. Also, borrows too heavily from The Urbz Pets.

& Unleashed is cute but simple.

Cats & Dogs is the first Pets came we've had since The Urbz, that didn't recycle Cats & Dogs from a previous pack. And it really makes the AI of previous Pets show their age. However, the AI and Animation aren't as good as The Sims 2: Pets for console. That team spent a huge budget on those Pets, and they are the best to date.

This is an interesting post.

As someone who has never owned a console, I find it interesting that, according to your posts, the consoles had more to offer in general than the PC counterpart. This is something that also seems to have been borne out in comparison to the PC and the Sims Freeplay for mobiles.

In general, PCs have so much more processing power (that gap is closing, however), yet EA hasn't taken advantage of that. The amount of different interactions in Freeplay is staggering in comparison to the any version of the PC games, for example.

I wish I knew why that is.

What version of sims 3 is that? I have the console editions and I don't remember that.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Practice makes perfect they say. I consider this thread as of one moaning too soon. It's difficult to work CAP in this game but I managed to make my little terrier mutt copy after a lot of trying.

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I'm so sick of bugs thait I'm waiting until after the December patch to get it, because I know the December patch will be packed with bug fixes (among other things)
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited November 2017

I appreciate your opinion, though, I don't tend to believe that piracy is the issue. I refuse to believe that piracy is so frequent that developers have taken to reducing game features as a response. Because if it were that, that means millions of people are being penalized for the relative few. Game companies like EA are making plenty of money, so I don't see the reason to short shrift paying customers.

IMO, I believe that consoles get more up front because:

The features have already been worked out, tested, and refined on the PC (by paying customers, no less). By the time that it gets to consoles, why not add those features that are bound to bring in more money than a bare bones game?

As someone already mentioned, DLC for consoles weren't possible. At one time, once you bought a game, that was it. So, I can see adding more features up front because a Sims base game with no hope of further development is no game at all, really. PC players buy because they know the boring emptiness will eventually be filled. We're the only group of gamers that have been conditioned to accept features piecemeal with the hope that there will eventually be more.

Now, with the advent of mods and DLC for consoles, I think that console players are eventually going to start seeing half-finished games as well.

I've been a gamer for a really long time (since the first games for Commodore 64). It was a niche business at best. Yet, I long for those days sometimes. Because back then, it wasn't about the cash grab. Those designers had an idea and a passion and they wanted to give players everything that they could feasibly manage. Nowadays, it's a matter of figuring out what they can add, then breaking off the pieces and selling it later. Console players, I fear, are about to start becoming victims of that as well.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    OlberOlber Posts: 80 Member
    I got bad news for you guys but that collar thing just sounds like it might be bad decisions with their programming, not a bug.
    I'm pretty sure it is, though. I have my Sims walk the dogs quite often and they always keep their collars on. As well as the dog vests you can put on them for their walking outfit. Both of those can be worn while walking them in my game, they never disappeared. Not entirely sure why it's giving you guys trouble.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Olber wrote: »
    I got bad news for you guys but that collar thing just sounds like it might be bad decisions with their programming, not a bug.
    I'm pretty sure it is, though. I have my Sims walk the dogs quite often and they always keep their collars on. As well as the dog vests you can put on them for their walking outfit. Both of those can be worn while walking them in my game, they never disappeared. Not entirely sure why it's giving you guys trouble.
    I noticed in my new game the collar is always on. I think it's a bug.
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    gamekitten wrote: »
    The CAP for me is not as great as Sims 3. I have limited options when trying to shape any animal. The Colors are off when you paint. Then there is what the dog (the one I did was an African Wild Dog) look pretty decent in CAP and when in world (live play) looked washed out in colors. If I had Sims 3 I could of done an African Wild Dog that looked like an AWD. My husband also did some pretty fantastic hyenas in Sims 3, don't see it as an option in 4; simply because of the limited shaping. So, I am seriously disappointed because the hype was not true.

<.< On a good note my husband loves the EP... Then again he plays it very little and hasn't run into the many issues. Like I went in to add a collar to a stray cat I adopted and It would not let me do it because it demanded a pet breed...>.> LOL, an option you can not do in plan outfits.

Yes. What is that about? Having to give strays a pet breed name?
  • Options
    Mockingbird781Mockingbird781 Posts: 16 Member
    Sigh, i guess here is where I will post since i can't make a new thread and my question is kind of mundane and goes to the fact that i am not as pleased with the new EP as i thought i would be.

Why is the Basset Hound not a breed? Isn't it a common type of dog, that was basically one of the few pets I was looking forward to having in my family. EA added a bunch of obscure breeds but no Basset Hound? Why? I can't even make one since they won't let me make the other hounds smaller unless i mix it with a small-breed dog (unless I'm missing something, then i would ask a question IF I COULD FREAKING MAKE MY OWN THREAD) but then I just get a medium size dog.
  • Options
    kitty29041985kitty29041985 Posts: 792 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    Actually from what I am hearing its a bit worse then i expected. as there seems to be so many issues but alot of players seem to be ignoring them or not expericeing them and focusing more on the fact that cats and dogs look so cute doing things. Rather then oh idk sometimes they apparently wont do things like eat or sleep. plus we cant even tell what their needs are. do i think create a pet is awesome. well duh! but i thought create a pet was awesome in sims 2 and 3 no idea why this is even better then sims 2 or sims 3 create a pet when it feels just the same but dealing with pets feels like the worst and i do not mean no control I mean you cant even see their needs or anything. and they seem to have no idea how to take care of themselves. but oh look they are so cute seems to make up for all of that.I was expecting something more in line with sims 2 which at least let you look at the status of your pets but here you cant see anything. i mean all we get in exchange for all those sarcfrices are the pets are expressive. which again they were experessive in sims 2 and 3.

Agree. Yes they are cute etc but... how about the rest? How about around? The whole entire game/worlds/district are not for cats and dogs! So if you wanna see pets around or your neighbors walking dogs - you have to move to new world? Nooo, this is not what I expecting. I was expecting that I can play in apartment building too in SM world, and see my neighbor's dog there too (I added pets to all of them!) and barking behind their door etc. So, at the end, I have only my dog there :(( like an object.
  • Options
    estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Caszidy215 wrote: »
    The not being able to see needs is not that bothersome since they act like real pets. For instance, when they're hungry they whine or bark, when they have to pee my dog goes by the door and whines, when they want attention they do things that animals do to get attention, and they give away indicators of their needs through their behaviors.

I have not had any issues so far so you can't just judge the game by other peoples issues. Some people don't have issues some people do.. It is always like this no matter if its Sims 1, 2, 3 or now. I have been here for all of the releases of every single pack and it has never been bug free.

Your right, EA has conditioned us to EXPECT bugs in everything they release! Somehow that is acceptable by some people, but not me.

Actually a lot of games have bugs when they release. I have yet to play a game that doesn't have bugs when they launch it. What is frustrating with EA (particularly TS 3/4) is that they don't seem to want to fix these bugs, even when they are reported several times by multiple players. I mean, until now we still have the same bugs as before with GTW. I don't understand why they cannot fix these known issues/bugs/glitches, and then hype players for new content yet full of another set of bugs.

I don't mind if upon release we experience these bugs, like I said, it happens to many games. There are just issues that cannot be spotted until it is released, even if they developed the content months before. But what set good companies from terrible ones *cough* EA *cough* is how fast and efficient they can fix these bugs. Otherwise we are paying for a broken game. Are we EA? Are we paying for a broken game?
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm still trying out different things hoping to find a comfortable solution. The thing however, is that this effort is leading me into the use of mods. (and i'm not a mod person when it comes to the sims).

(for example) I like using the Musician Career for one of my sims, and setting up a cool music area. To do that I downloaded a mod for a drumset, but being that i'm not comfortable with using mods for the sims, I took the drumset back out.

The pets however, is driving me completely crazy that I have mods going in and out of my game like my game now is a do-drop-in flop house for mods.

I've tried the MCCC mod to help with time management vs Dog and Cats (different thread), I've tried the pets mod to help me better understand the pet's needs in the first place (different thread), and i'm seriously thinking of the "become a sorceror" mod to maybe teleport that dog outside to see if THAT will help him learn how to pee on his own... I mean OMG already.... i've told him to go pee what feels like a thousand times now... figure it out dog. (and he has the smart trait..... pfffffft)

Besides all that, the game play for the cats and dogs seems to be limited to the household. Where in any of the worlds can we take our dog that is setup for the dog itself? As I pointed out in another post (somewhere lol) the sims worlds and the pets ... don't work very well together.

The more I try to create a comfortable way of having a dog a part of my household the more I am reminded that the dog itself is pretty much the reason why I find the sims less enjoyable. Everything was going great until the pets showed up. Now I have mods clogging up my game, my household is a complete mess, and I can't seem to find a confortable solution..... except for... delete the pets from my gameplay. Which is a shame because I paid $40 for the pack, and I really want to enjoy it.

Its been about a week now since I added the dog to my household. I deleted the cat after 2 days. (IMO) the cat was about as exciting as a glass of water. After 7 days, I think the dog is on the way out as well.