Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why keep masterpiece paintings?

I started one of my Creative Sims on painting recently as he had long since mastered all instruments and reached the top of the music career. It was only a few Sim days of very casual painting before he started producing Masterpieces. Each time when I've gone to sell one to the Art Gallery, I've gotten a message to the tune of "Are you sure you want to sell this? Masterpieces are very rare!"

Well, not rare in my experience considering that with the cheap easel (the only one available to me without joining the Painter career or using cheats) I've painted two or three in a short period of time, and haven't even maxed the skill yet. Do masterpieces or other paintings appreciate in value if you keep them around for awhile, as they did in previous versions of the Sims?

Comments

• Options
    BellaGothIsQueenBellaGothIsQueen Posts: 531 Member
    Do you have the creative visionary trait? That gives your sim a higher chance at painting masterpieces.
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    Do you have the creative visionary trait? That gives your sim a higher chance at painting masterpieces.

Hmm, maybe I did buy that trait, I don't remember. Regardless, is there any good reason not to sell masterpieces right away? Assuming I'm not selling them in a store.
  • Options
    BellaGothIsQueenBellaGothIsQueen Posts: 531 Member

Hmm, maybe I did buy that trait, I don't remember. Regardless, is there any good reason not to sell masterpieces right away? Assuming I'm not selling them in a store.

Unless you're collecting them for your own pleasure, no. As far as I know they don't increase in value so I'd go ahead and just sell them! :)
  • Options
    AndyBrainsAndyBrains Posts: 218 Member
    I guess now with the copy option, you can keep the masterpieces and then sell the copies. I dunno... :tongue:

• Options
    puppylover369puppylover369 Posts: 7 New Member
    Spend $900 just to sell something for $900?
  • Options
    puppylover369puppylover369 Posts: 7 New Member
    I suppose you could take a camera shot of the pic and then hang that up. Or put the painting up, and then make a painting by reference using the masterpiece as the reference.
  • Options
    Ulfric_GrimbrandUlfric_Grimbrand Posts: 681 Member
    I know with my Masterpiece Flirty Painting, they help boost the decorated bonus, not just the Flirty Boost when Emotional Aura is enabled. Perhaps Masterpiece non-emotional painting boost the decor bonus, I haven't tried.
  • Options
    MissBMissB Posts: 323 Member
    Paintings do not increase in value as time goes by. :( In my opinion there is no reason to keep a masterpiece. The only paintings I keep are the portraits my sims paint with the option "paint from reference".
    Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go play sims.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited June 2015
    I cant recall now but maybe the masterpiece paintings have higher emotional aura value than the rest. As for the price value appreciation that does not happen in this game. Not sure if that also happens after the sim dies.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    mushplomplommushplomplom Posts: 760 Member
    They have higher emotional aura, the aura is happy. If a sim is happy they do everything better like build skills, paint better, cook better, ect.
    I bought a GTX 1070 to play Sims 4.

• Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    Just sell them unless it's looks good and you want to keep it for decor, if you keep them, it'll increase bill!
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    My sim painter has a gallery. She puts everything up for sale including masterpieces. I only keep the paintings for them that I like. Some of them are very good!
  • Options
    lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    I'm not sure why that message pops up either. I suppose the game wants you to make sure you're not selling a pretty decoration without meaning to. I always sell mine.
  • Options
    DarkSlayer1331DarkSlayer1331 Posts: 429 Member
    They don't appreciate in value? That kind of stink. That was something I really liked about Sims 3.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I don't sell the masterpieces because I give them to my Sims' kids before they move out, then as soon as they move they can sell them and have more money to build a house or remodel/upgrade an existing one (especially now we can add basements).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Simmer724Simmer724 Posts: 106 Member
    Good to know! I've sold quite a few of these! Whoops!
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    edited June 2015
    I keep my painting 1, terrible pieces at times.
    Especially the angry painting of the stickman and a house set on fire.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    They don't appreciate value, but they definitely do boost the decor, I have most of the rooms (excluding the dungeon) of my sims house covered in Masterpieces and they're always happy.
    raw
  • Options
    Simmer724Simmer724 Posts: 106 Member
    > @Kelly_Blake said:
    > I keep my painting 1, terrible pieces at times.
    > Especially the angry painting of the stickman and a house set on fire.

I have not seen this one yet! LOL!!
  • Options
    simladysimlady Posts: 25 New Member
    I have hung up the paintings around the house they look great. My sim is going well with her painting career so far
  • Options
    IndiiAnaIndiiAna Posts: 20 Member
    Paintings don't appreciate in value in Sims 4, but if you have Marketable satisfaction reward trait, you have the chance of painting something that's really valuable right now, as opposed to much later on. I believe this trait multiplies the base value of the painting by 1-3, but don't quote me on that.

Holding on to your paintings is an easy way to get through the Mansion Baron milestones of the Fortune aspiration. The value of all your masterpieces will count towards the household value. Though, oddly enough, paintings you create do not count towards the 'Own 15 pieces of art' milestone of this lifetime goal.

But the obvious downside to keeping paintings around is that a higher household value also means higher weekly bills. Though you can just paint something and sell it to the Art Gallery to cover the increased cost.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,185 Member
    I keep some of my Sims paintings that have excellent and masterpiece quality for several reasons. As a decoration, as a rainy day fund and as an inheritance for future generations. Especially if that Sim is in the painter career and successful I like to think that his paintings live on. Another reason I just thought of as I write this is that paintings are a great way of giving a departing Sim a bump in their funds as they move out on their own. Just put a painting or two into their personal inventory so they can take them with them. Then they can either sell them or keep them as a family heirloom.
  • Options
    tinkerbell3552tinkerbell3552 Posts: 104 Member
    I only keep masterpieces that match some room in my house and I want to hang up. It's nice to have decor that my sim actually made. However, it's only happened a couple of times. I sell almost all of the masterpieces my sims make.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I only keep masterpiece mood paintings, so if I want a strong emotional vibe I'll hang it up and enable the aura. Regular masterpieces get sold.
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    I might be mistaken but when the game first released some of the aspirations were different to what they are now, they changed what you had to do to complete some of them based on feedback. I feel like one of the levels of the painter aspiration might have originally required you to own a certain number of masterpieces. If I am remembering correctly then that would explain why they put in the prompt warning you that they're rare.