Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    SpixieSim wrote: »
    Yes I do. I am working on my first legacy! I love what I have done so far and have a few followers. I could use more though! spixiesim.wordpress.com

Followed! I have a bit of list of people to read right now, but I promise I'll get to you.
    Thanks for the link as well @friendsfan367
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    SpixieSim wrote: »
    Yes I do. I am working on my first legacy! I love what I have done so far and have a few followers. I could use more though! spixiesim.wordpress.com

Followed! I have a bit of list of people to read right now, but I promise I'll get to you.
    Thanks for the link as well @friendsfan367

no problem.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I have a story topic I'd love your opinion on.
    This could be a touchy subject so I don't mind if you don't want to talk about it, but I'd love some honest feedback and promise not to be offended whatever your input is.

Religion and politics are subjects people tend to avoid, but how do you think readers would feel about their inclusion in a simLit?
    I'm going to be blunt here: My boss has 7 children (all with the same mother), and he jokes about being an authentic Christian family.
    I would absolutely love to explore the dynamics of a large family, and particularly include a religious aspect. If anyone has played Sims Medival, I loved the inclusions of Peteran and Jacoban religions. Peteran's preach love, while Jacoban preach fear. I'm interested in including someone who is Peteran to my story. Do you think this would be sensitive for anyone? For the most part I write for myself, but I like to keep my readers in mind and honestly don't want to take the risk if it would put people on edge.

Thanks for reading!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    This could be a touchy subject so I don't mind if you don't want to talk about it, but I'd love some honest feedback and promise not to be offended whatever your input is.

Religion and politics are subjects people tend to avoid, but how do you think readers would feel about their inclusion in a simLit?
    I'm going to be blunt here: My boss has 7 children (all with the same mother), and he jokes about being an authentic Christian family.
    I would absolutely love to explore the dynamics of a large family, and particularly include a religious aspect. If anyone has played Sims Medival, I loved the inclusions of Peteran and Jacoban religions. Peteran's preach love, while Jacoban preach fear. I'm interested in including someone who is Peteran to my story. Do you think this would be sensitive for anyone? For the most part I write for myself, but I like to keep my readers in mind and honestly don't want to take the risk if it would put people on edge.

Thanks for reading!

theres only one way to find out. i think you know what i mean.

:)
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I know, I know! I've been thinking about it for a while. :smile:
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options

I know, I know! I've been thinking about it for a while. :smile: [/quote]

sounds like you made your descison already.
  • Options
    sounds like you made your descison already.

When it comes to my main legacy, I let the community choose the heir. What ends up happening though is I start brewing idea about where the story can go. In my current generation, kids aren't even born yet but I'm dreaming up possibilities for their futures! I can't help but let my mind wander while I wait for the story to catch up.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @Karilan: I grew up Catholic and adjacent to a lot of big families, though I've grown very distant from my past and I'm no stranger to poking fun at or harshly criticizing Catholicism. I don't make a secret of it and I've worked it into simlit (though not often). It's a sensitive issue for a lot of people but with any sensitive issue, I think it can be done non-offensively. Some ideas:

Draw parallels between real religions and the fictional Peteran/Jacoban dynamic (obviously EA did) but create a healthy amount of distance between them too.

Don't make everything about the family dynamic driven by the good and bad of their religion. The characters and their interactions come first. Religion can color some of how people act and react but by itself it's never the one deciding factor as to who is good or bad.

Don't make anyone into strawmen. Keep your own views as separate as possible from the work.

Anyways, there are people who have had a lot of kids in my family (not me lol). One thing I've noticed is that friendly relationships among siblings are far more common than tense ones. I've seen three-kid families dissolve into horrible fighting and estrangement and eight or eleven-kid families stay close with their siblings forever. There are a lot of people to look up to and/or care for and guide and a sense of duty to siblings in general. And funny enough, its a bond that often transcends faith. One of my mum's great-uncles had eleven kids and a lot of them have kids and grandkids themselves, who all have varying degrees of loyalty to the Catholic Church today, from daily mass goers to functional atheists. Does it matter to them? Not really. Just be cordial at weddings and baptisms and funeral masses (which they all are).
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @Karilan: I grew up Catholic and adjacent to a lot of big families, though I've grown very distant from my past and I'm no stranger to poking fun at or harshly criticizing Catholicism. I don't make a secret of it and I've worked it into simlit (though not often). It's a sensitive issue for a lot of people but with any sensitive issue, I think it can be done non-offensively. Some ideas:

Thanks for the input! The particular things I'm interested in tackling are the differences between someone raised in a religious environment, and someone who isn't, and obviously I don't think it has much bearing on whether someone is a good or bad person, but it doesn't affect their daily life and often where their beliefs come from, not what they are.

The other difficult situation is when you have a couple like that, how do they decide how to raise the children? I think it could make for an interesting struggle.

Although both of my parents were Catholic, it's not something that came up in my household and me and my siblings weren't raised with religion present. As a 3-child family, I can agree that fights were bad in our household! It's funny watching my boss' large family interact because they are all so honest and sometimes comically rude to each other, and yet it's never hostile.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    @Karilan In my legacy-the Swansons-I have 2 religions which aren't founded in any RL society. The 'bad" one is called the Enrichment and basically its a co-ed Disney Villain club-because they the gods/goddesses that are worship: Maleficent->Queen of all Evil, Lady Treamine-wealth, EQ-Mirrors, Urslsa-evil version of Goddess of the Sea, Gaston- Hunt, Jafar cunning, Dr. F trickery, Mother Gothel of age, Hans-I want to say usurper because I don't really remember.

the other one is named after my simself who is basically the Queen of Heaven. It's called the Anneorines (the word "anne" plus the off half of the word "Heroines") except for my simself all Disney heroines have some kind of "job"

the latter has appeared at least twice in my story well the former has appeared mainly as a plot thing in Gen 2. Also one of the main kids who cosplayed as Descendants character in Gen 6 was a descendant of the originally Prietess.

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks for reading!

@Karilan Great question. I include Jacoban and Peteran religions in my stories, and a few other made up (but based on real life religions). I think it adds an authenticity to my stories and world. It's never my intention to present caricatures or to be offensive, so I try really hard to be respectful. I also try to have it flow as naturally as possible in the narrative and dialogue if and when I can.

I actually have a whole page on my main blog devoted to religion - https://thekrazycrazylifeofkass.wordpress.com/my-sim-world/culture/religion/ (whole link because I'm on my phone). I did research on the Sims medieval wiki site and major religions and other Simmers' take on religion plus game play observation and religious cc out there for determining my religions.

For making up religions, I've actually utilized Mark Rosenfelder's Planet Construction Kit book as it has a large section on religion. There are other books out there but Rosenfelder's had a Kindle version for $6.25 right now - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0091JMYQO/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=. I find it useful for other things (i.e. cultures, technology, biology, etc.) especially if you like world building (and I do world builds for other non Sims stories).

I've also used World Building from the Inside Out by Jansen Ippolito
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0997409932/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504854091&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=world+building+from+the+inside+out&dpPl=1&dpID=51oOuWpP9TL&ref=plSrch available on Amazon (Kindle version $8.99 for now).

I'm a world building, culture building addict sometimes. Lol.

Feel free to ask questions or use aspects from my uber detailed information. I love world building and get way too carried away sometimes. Lol.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options

I'm a world building, culture building addict sometimes. Lol.

Feel free to ask questions or use aspects from my uber detailed information. I love world building and get way too carried away sometimes. Lol.

Thank you so much for all this, it's perfect! I'm personally fascinated by culture and religion, so I'm sure this will be some fun reading for me. As much as I love Peteran, it's lacking some depth and tradition, so I'll explore further to see how you and others have blended real world religions in.

At this point it's more likely than not that I'll include a religious Sim, it's just a matter of waiting for the right person/situation to pop up.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    @Karilan, I plan to work on the Peteran faith some more. I haven't had time yet. Mostly because my two Peteran shepherds (a.k.a. pastors) are side characters in my stories.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    While playing Sims Medieval, I admit I focused more on Jacoban at times because it was entertaining posting proclomations of "omg there's a spider on your shoulder ahhhh" but Peteran is obviously much more friendly. :smiley:
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 I love the info on your blog!!! I'm definitely going to be reading through it. :)

Also, those books are super interesting! I added the free samples to my kindle and hopefully I remember to check them out! I was reading the reviews for the first one (I think) and it said a weakness was map making. It just made me think of a couple of map creation tricks which I think are really fun.

One is to use an orange and peel it. Then you lay it out and you've got a map of your world. Tada!

The other trick is to take a bunch of different types of dice and then pour them out. The different numbers are used to make cities or mountains, etc. Here's a pinterest link although I've also seen it on tumblr, I think. :)

I don't really have a use for a map but geez, I really want to make one! :lol:

@Karilan In my Build Newcrest story I've used religion very very loosely. There are believers of the Watcher (who are Game-Aware) and those that are not. I've only mentioned it a couple times but it's more meant for game humor than anything else. I got the idea from @CathyTea when I sent one of my spares to her Animal Hat Summer Camp. That sim brought back the idea of being game aware (her family was skeptical) and lived an amazingly long life (she is still alive in my saves, lol). Did she gain her longevity from her belief in the Watcher?! (Definitely because of the Watcher, haha!)

You're both making me want to play Sims Medieval again! Maybe I'll do that tonight. :smiley:
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    Meggles wrote: »
    @Karilan In my Build Newcrest story I've used religion very very loosely. There are believers of the Watcher (who are Game-Aware) and those that are not. I've only mentioned it a couple times but it's more meant for game humor than anything else. I got the idea from @CathyTea when I sent one of my spares to her Animal Hat Summer Camp. That sim brought back the idea of being game aware (her family was skeptical) and lived an amazingly long life (she is still alive in my saves, lol). Did she gain her longevity from her belief in the Watcher?! (Definitely because of the Watcher, haha!)

You're both making me want to play Sims Medieval again! Maybe I'll do that tonight. :smiley:

I always loved the concept of the Watcher, so cheeky! In my Grace legacy, this is an even more entertaining idea because in my game there are kind of 2 Watchers. While I play and control my Sims and push them to chase their dreams, my fiance chooses all traits and makes the decisions on random pop ups. His aim is to add chaos to my game. I guess that makes him Jacoban!!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    @Meggles awww... thank you. Glad I could help out. Yeah map making is decent in the first book but I'm not am artist (at least not visually) :D I made a map for my fantasy historical fiction I'm writing but since it's set on Earth that helps some. I like your orange idea but I'm allergic. But I'll have to check out the dice idea.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    I suppose since I was the last person to post here I don't need to acknowledge myself. ;)

I've been wondering about authenticity recently. I posted this question over in my reading circle, but I thought I'd drop it here also. I am a plot-driven storyteller, and yet lately, my Sims have done incredible and surprising things on their own that make me wonder how much my plot writing is interfering with the authenticity of my Sims. I often direct my Sims, much like a play or a movie, I guess, and yet they still have minds of their own, which I love. It then leads me to feel guilty when I change the direction or steer a situation.

In a story I am working on now, there are certain events that must unfold in a certain way. This is because they were foreshadowed in such a way or explained in another crossover story as such, and I need to arrive at the same conclusions for continuity sake. However, little things keep happening along the way that make me question if I shouldn't alter the "in-between" moments. Hopefully this makes sense. If these moments happen in game, maybe it's not a rabbit trail and maybe it's a necessary part of my stories even if it feels like a detour to me.

How do you balance what happens in game with your story plans?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    I suppose since I was the last person to post here I don't need to acknowledge myself. ;)

I've been wondering about authenticity recently. I posted this question over in my reading circle, but I thought I'd drop it here also. I am a plot-driven storyteller, and yet lately, my Sims have done incredible and surprising things on their own that make me wonder how much my plot writing is interfering with the authenticity of my Sims. I often direct my Sims, much like a play or a movie, I guess, and yet they still have minds of their own, which I love. It then leads me to feel guilty when I change the direction or steer a situation.

In a story I am working on now, there are certain events that must unfold in a certain way. This is because they were foreshadowed in such a way or explained in another crossover story as such, and I need to arrive at the same conclusions for continuity sake. However, little things keep happening along the way that make me question if I shouldn't alter the "in-between" moments. Hopefully this makes sense. If these moments happen in game, maybe it's not a rabbit trail and maybe it's a necessary part of my stories even if it feels like a detour to me.

How do you balance what happens in game with your story plans?

i don't i follow what they do then write it. i wish i would make it more plot driven and some posts are but i usually sit here saying what should i write about?
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 This is a tricky one and one of the main reasons I don't do many of what I refer to as "posed" stories. I find having a pre-written story very binding. So I try to just outline what I want to happen. Kind of like a rough draft. Then as I play it out I make changes as I go. I've also found that having several chapters unpublished can help when something unplanned happens because I can go back to those other chapters and reword things. Like for example... in the legacy collab I'm in we all planned to have the same sim marry our heirs. The problem was the heir that got voted in didn't want to be more than friends with him. Long story short she ended up being best friends with him and marrying his roommate. I ended up going back through like 5 chapters and taking out any parts that said anything about her marrying him in the future.

I have no idea if this helped or even answered your question, lol.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited September 2017
    the first time I wrote my Swanson legacy Carly both was nice to some children at the park and either before or after that she got into a fight with Max Villeral.. and I just wrote it into the script
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Hi @AdamsEve1231 ! I think it really depends what kind of story you have.

For my main legacy I have an idea of where the story will go in the same way a teenager thinks about what they want to be when they grow up. When events happen that interfere with that idea, unless it's really drastic, I let it derail the story and think how the character would react. One time I pressed to make a story happen, but the third time something got in the way it felt like fate to let it go.

However, I also have a story that is 100% plot driven and for the most part I don't let autonomous actions affect the story.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

For my main legacy I have an idea of where the story will go in the same way a teenager thinks about what they want to be when they grow up. When events happen that interfere with that idea, unless it's really drastic, I let it derail the story and think how the character would react. One time I pressed to make a story happen, but the third time something got in the way it felt like fate to let it go.

However, I also have a story that is 100% plot driven and for the most part I don't let autonomous actions affect the story.

I love your description of "the way a teenager thinks of what they want to be when they grow up!" That's so apt! A lot of my stories are like this--Septemus, My Son is. I think of what general and over-arching plot I want to have, then leave lots of room for what happens in the story. Sometimes, what happens fits with the general plot, and that's so beautiful!

Some of my stories, like the pen pal letters, are not very plot-based--so really, anything can happen and it can fit in. The lives of these Sims serves as a type of frame for ideas (I think my pen pal letters tend to be more concept or theory-based... ), so really, I can just use what happens in-game as the container for the ideas I want to explore in the letters.

It's only rarely, like with a short story or two, that I'll write it first and then make a list of the screenshots I need. I don't use poses, but I will orchestrate specific shots, if needed, when illustrating a short story. I've got such little patience for this, though! My general preference is to play first and then integrate what happens in game with what the story I derive from it.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

I love your description of "the way a teenager thinks of what they want to be when they grow up!" That's so apt! A lot of my stories are like this--Septemus, My Son is. I think of what general and over-arching plot I want to have, then leave lots of room for what happens in the story. Sometimes, what happens fits with the general plot, and that's so beautiful!

Some of my stories, like the pen pal letters, are not very plot-based--so really, anything can happen and it can fit in. The lives of these Sims serves as a type of frame for ideas (I think my pen pal letters tend to be more concept or theory-based... ), so really, I can just use what happens in-game as the container for the ideas I want to explore in the letters.

It's only rarely, like with a short story or two, that I'll write it first and then make a list of the screenshots I need. I don't use poses, but I will orchestrate specific shots, if needed, when illustrating a short story. I've got such little patience for this, though! My general preference is to play first and then integrate what happens in game with what the story I derive from it.

i must not be a grown up. today i bought ice cream and potato chips.
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

Thanks! I love how organic Sept seems as he explores the world, and how his opinions change.

I recently watched a how-to video about using props and my goodness do I feel like an amateur. I don't use any mods or poses, and sometimes spend several in-game days creating a scene because I can't get enough good screenshots in the right lighting.
    Example: Getting Miranda to do pushups and Brent to do sit ups both at the exact same moment took much more work than it should have :D
    0gGBStA.png
    D2vFwMN.jpg