Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gurus, can we please get an option to NOT own a cellphone and bring back home phones?

howsimlishhowsimlish Posts: 709 Member
This question has been asked a lot in the past few years but I feel like it's time to bring it back.

I know it's not 'modern' to have a home phone but people do still have them, especially older people (sorry). Not to mention that some of us, while a minority, do play historical games or even Sims that are off the grid or 'homeless'.

I'd love it if you added a trait or an option to go cellphoneless and add home phones back into the game in a patch, maybe give us three options a more modern home phone, a 50s-90s era rotary phone, and a candlestick style phone popular from the 1900s-1920s,

EDIT: Payphones might be nice to have too, thought that may be asking for too much.

Comments

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I agree. I hate the fact that cellphones are forced on us. And it annoys the crap out of me that a sim who is standing still for too long with nothing to do will pull out a phone. What happened to, like... thinking? Fidgeting? I know it's relevant to modern times, but I think it's pretty much an addiction for a lot of people in RL. So we have addict sims... >.<
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Triplis wrote: »
    I agree. I hate the fact that cellphones are forced on us. And it annoys the plum out of me that a sim who is standing still for too long with nothing to do will pull out a phone. What happened to, like... thinking? Fidgeting? I know it's relevant to modern times, but I think it's pretty much an addiction for a lot of people in RL. So we have addict sims... >.<

Honestly I'm fine with it, it's the world we live in, I use my phone all the time and it's the kind of parody you expect something like The Sims to do something with. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option for certain Sims to not have one, can you see Agnes Crumplebottom wielding a phone on her night out shaming local teens? No.
  • Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    I really agree that I wish we had the option to put a landline phone in the house and go without cellphones if we desired. Maybe even be given the ability to buy them from a store or kiosk like in TS2. Part of me misses those middle of the night calls in TS1.

• Options
    iQueenShortyyiQueenShortyy Posts: 7 New Member
    I agree.
    I was honestly thinking that if you want a personal phone you would have to buy it, and as soon as you buy it it, it will be use-able.
    It's kind of weird how I see my sims randomly standing. :( :(
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    yep. i have a mod to disable autonomous phone usage because it is so annoying.
    i just wish i could disable that dumb idle animation for teens where they take selfies. :disappointed:
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    Aesir26 wrote: »
    I really agree that I wish we had the option to put a landline phone in the house and go without cellphones if we desired. Maybe even be given the ability to buy them from a store or kiosk like in TS2. Part of me misses those middle of the night calls in TS1.

I miss those too, that would be fun to implement in a patch as well. Prank calls, scam calls, ominous calls, fortune tellers, I'd also love it if we could prank call other sims or receive wrong number texts.
  • Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    edited September 2017
    still have a home phone most Australian households do or no internet :smile:
    edit: only used for said internet hehe
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    howsimlish wrote: »
    I agree. I hate the fact that cellphones are forced on us. And it annoys the plum out of me that a sim who is standing still for too long with nothing to do will pull out a phone. What happened to, like... thinking? Fidgeting? I know it's relevant to modern times, but I think it's pretty much an addiction for a lot of people in RL. So we have addict sims... >.<

Honestly I'm fine with it, it's the world we live in, I use my phone all the time and it's the kind of parody you expect something like The Sims to do something with. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option for certain Sims to not have one, can you see Agnes Crumplebottom wielding a phone on her night out shaming local teens? No.

How could she find couples to shame without her handy Morality App and GPS system? :D
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,094 Member
    Cell phones have annoyed me from the start but really all the forced tech gets on my nerves from the stores forcing a tablet instead of a option to have a cash register even Grim Reaper lost his classic scroll which in my opinion is a classic for good reason. Forced tech and no options to remove it messes up possible stories and creates worlds stuck in time as if no world editor was bad enough.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Same goes for the forced cash registers we got.
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Yep, similarly I think it is super annoying that you have to own a computer to be able to order certain things like medicine, vampire books, etc. I wish we could order stuff (books, plants, medicine) directly from the mailbox, or from a newspaper/magazines. And I wish we could look for a job in the newspaper too.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I agree it is quite annoying. Much more for me because I use my cellphone very rarely.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I love the weird, creepy middle of the night calls! Like the one that goes "The drop off has been made, you have been warned" :p

(still play sims 1)

But I agree, it would be nice if cell phones were optional. It's annoying for themed challenges and it would be nice to have to buy them ala The Sims 2. It could also be a whim for children and teens to buy them.

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    howsimlish wrote: »

Fair enough. I'm not though. :tongue: It honestly bothers me that that's the world we live in. I am a computer addict and know it well. I've known it long enough to know how horrible that would be if it's something you can carry around everywhere you go and have good reason to carry around, too, that has nothing to do with addictive compulsion, like needing to be able to make emergency calls, contact loved ones, etc.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    geoffreypa wrote: »
    still have a home phone most Australian households do or no internet :smile:
    edit: only used for said internet hehe

I can't speak for "most", but if you're under 40 and Australian you'll have a home phone number, but not necessarily a phone.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,211 Member
    +1

It really surprised me to find out there are no home phones. Sure, you don't actually need them anymore because every sim grows a mobile in their pocket when they age up to child, but not even as decorative items? Strictly speaking, you no longer need wardrobes either because sims can now change their clothes anywhere, and even if you tell them to do it using the wardrobe, they just stand in front of it and do their changing spin, not even bothering to open it. Yet wardrobes are still in the game, which is good, and I hope they'll bring back home phones too.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I enjoy playing rustic off-the-grid sims and the mobile phone really gets in the way. Luckily MCCC has some settings that limits the phone interactions and sims flocking to the computers.

If there was a stuff pack with a home phone for residents that did not want to use a mobile I would buy the heck out of it!
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I enjoy playing rustic off-the-grid sims and the mobile phone really gets in the way. Luckily MCCC has some settings that limits the phone interactions and sims flocking to the computers.

If there was a stuff pack with a home phone for residents that did not want to use a mobile I would buy the heck out of it!

Ssshhhhh don't give them ideas! ;)
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited September 2017

Ssshhhhh don't give them ideas! ;)

I honestly think it is the only way we are going to see it, if they get some money for looking into it. Also, my budget for fun stuff was made with Mass Effect Andromeda and The Sims 4 in mind. Since BioWare won't continue with Mass Effect, still :'( over that, Sims 4 is currently my only vice. Would be happy to pay for the things I want. Just hoping to see the stuff ingame.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    I don't understand why it's still so forced on us.. Not everyone is obsessed with phones. I got a phone for making pictures and some games and purely to contact some people but that's it, no social media. I use my phone maybe twice a day. Seeing my sims using it so many times a day (every single sim) is getting frustrating..

I have a sim who doesn't own a tv or pc, she has a modern loft but she likes to do other activities, yet she still uses that dang phone. Atleast give us a on and off toggle.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    I really want my landlines back in my game!! Used to love having those... I mean landlines aren't as relevant today as they used to be as most people use their cell phones to call people but it's nice to have them in the game just in case your sims cell phone breaks or something ;)
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    I wish I had a choice to have a cellphone and not a smartphone. I don't know how it is in USA, but often times when your smartphone phone breaks, you buy a 1£ mobile phone, or some people just don't want/ need the hassle of a smart phone (one of my uni mates was walking around with an old nokia brick, due to not requiring the internet on the go AND it had a battery life of like a week).
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes please. My own mobile is barely used.
  • Options
    DeliriumDelirium Posts: 85 Member
    I agree with this. I mostly play historical sims (or try to) and the smart phones ruin it. I would also like typewriters.
  • Options
    Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    I completely agree, home phones just made the household feel homy. I also completely agree about the modernization the game is trying to do, but that doesn't mean it should abandon newspapers and home phones. I feel like the sims are stuck in 1 era without thw ability to evolve tech-wise. Computers and tv aren't all that diffrent just has a diffrent size and same with computers.