Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets Are NOT Playable!

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Karlia wrote: »
    So we not only not get to control pets but also not have any more than 7 pets. That would be the definite death for my shelter idea if I didn't believe that deaderpool or some other modder will come up with a way to circumvent that. I still find it a tiny bit ridiculous, at least in previous games they didn't take a sim slot but a pets slot instead.

MC Command Center already has an option to have larger households. I'd be very surprised if it didn't keep working with C&D.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Woooo!! I'm so happy they're not playable, I loved this in the Sims 2 aswell they felt more of a chore to train them and this made me feel like I actually owned a dog or cat. With Sims 3 I would sometimes click on them and it started to bug me. Really excited they did it this way!
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    FlosheeFloshee Posts: 26 New Member
    I don't really mind, but I do mind if we have options. And EA doesn't give us an option here. And how can some people say "I hated ts3 for controllable pets". Ts3 gave us option. If you don't want to control pets, simply turn free will on and what is the problem? As I said, I don't mind, but I want to play the game my way, because it's mine. I really like making my own decisions and either watch my pets do their thing or tell them what to do. It seems like the pets are going to be "moving objects" that you can only interact with and do nothing else. Playing as dog/cat was fun to me tbh, but I also used to turn their free will on from time to time in ts3. Besides, I'm a storytelling gamer and I like the control, but if I feel like it, I want to just see my pets roam the house on their own. I think I just don't trust the AI. Pets should be controllable to for example make them sleep at night instead of running around and slowing the time lapse down (often happened to me in Ts2). Besides, this way only a half of simmers will be satisfied. I have high hopes for a cheat to control them.
  • Options
    Kay8OrangeKay8Orange Posts: 291 Member
    edited August 2017
    @Floshee I watched a video last night regarding the pack on YouTube, and the person said there wouldn't be any cheats to control them. :( I'm not sure how accurate that statement is though, so there may still be hope...
  • Options
    lornalexlovelornalexlove Posts: 106 Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm torn I guess. I remember having problems with pets not eating in 2. Also having a hard time getting them to breed. In 3 , I didn't really like controlling them, but I liked that I could make sure they ate or made babies whenever. So me not needing to control them directly, but them not being dumb about food and not canceling actions I order them to do - would be ideal (for me, personally.) Hopefully not too much to ask. I already have problems with the current controllable sims canceling actions and only eating halfway - so that worries me a little. But other than those minor gripes, I'm super excited for this pack and can't wait to see how it all actually works.
    Post edited by lornalexlove on
    happily simming since 2000
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If pets don't eat, take them to the vet.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If they make pets playable then my options are being taken away. My option to have realistic pets in my sims world.

How is that taking any gameplay away? Again! And I have to give you this in quote cause now it's becoming clear that some people are not getting this "Just because Sims 3 Pets were controllable doesn't mean you were forced to control them. You can leave them alone and as long as you gave them the objects to fulfill their own needs they would do it on their own". Your not forced to do anything you don't want to.

I have to quote this as well! Just because you had the option to control your pet did not mean your option to not play as them was taken away! Just leave them alone and they will do as they wish. It's that simple. The Sims 2 and Sims 3 catered to both options--Sims 2 had no-control as default, and added cheats for those who wanted control. But typing cheats every time you load the game quickly becomes bothersome, so Sims 3 flipped it over. Control became the default way while the no-control was still there shining, no cheats needed at all! So the fact that people are fussing about having their option as no-control being taken away bewilders me.

It makes no sense from a logical standpoint whatsoever. It just boils down to being selfish and wanting The Sims to cater only to the casual players which means there should not be any in-depth or complex feature/gameplay/content. Everything must lack options/choices for the sake of simplicity. If that is what EA will continue to do...so be it. I had fun while it lasted during 2000-2013. Still got TS/TS2/TS3. There is no more potential for the franchise to progress, grow and advance but it is what it is.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    @Alysha1988 Sims 2 had the option to control your pets through cheats.

True, but since it was a cheat and since that wasn't meant to be the way Maxis expected most people to use the pack, they focused the development of pets around making them act appropriately without direct player control. I think adding the same cheat to sims 4 would be ideal, and I hope they do add an offical one for those who don't like to use mods (since I'm sure there will be a mod for it).
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    not that I disliked TS2 pets, but I feel like there should be some sort of evolution in how much you CAN do. Plus I don't trust AI autonomy in TS4.

here is how i feel maybe they should given us the options to have controlable or non controlable pets.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Feet46 wrote: »
    I remember playing a cat and a dog for The Sims 2. Remember you can't control them. I had a cat and dog in my household always fighting. So one day, the cat jumps the dog and beats the dogs' butt. The dog gets upset and runs away! I was shocked because I couldn't control him; to cancel it out. I didn't know where he was or anything. I was heartbroken. So I called the police and put in a missing dog. They told me my dog might come back on his own, but they will keep an eye out. He was still in my household panel so it made me sad that he would run off like that. Anyway, weeks went by and no sign of my dog. My Sim comes home from work one day and finds....and finds....the dog's grave stone on the front lawn :( . This is the spontaneous actions I missed in the Sims 3. I can't wait until November!

OH MY GOD :(
    I didnt know that's how that worked! Ive never had a dog or cat run away in sims 2, I knew they could, but didn't know about the collar or police or going house to house :(
    I would love something like this to come back, more consequences are always great! (in my opinion) as far as pets not eating, i did deal with an issue once. My dog was exhausted, hungry, and had to pee. He worked that day and not controlling pets meant he basically stayed up all night then had to work :neutral: he worked it out though, he eventually ate but I was super worried.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited August 2017
    Deshong04 wrote: »

Of course, you and those who feel the same don't think of it as good or bad because you are biased. You view things only from your own perspective and have no empathy as to how other play styles have been completely left out or altered in an undesirable way. Your attitude is one of 'it's all about me' instead of us as a Sims community together. Why can't we all enjoy the game? Naturally, not everyone can be pleased and this is obvious but TS4 intentionally caters to only a few play styles and audience, unlike previous Sims games that catered to ANYONE and EVERYONE.

Nah, not really, I personally hated pets in TS3 and got bored of them quickly.

Usually I prefer TS3 over TS2 and in General I prefer to have Options over restrictions in gameplay, however, when it Comes to pets having them controllable totally destroyed my own enjoyment.

Why are People demanding npc-roommates when you could just create a sim and leave them on full autonomy-mode? Because the experience, how you Play the game, the potential, whatever you call it is affected by this - not really small - design decision.

You guys can Keep your 🐸🐸🐸🐸 controllable TS3 pets to yourselves, nobody will take them away. But let me have a REAL pet-ownership simulation this time around.

Edit: But you have a Point: Everybody is selfish (especially People who want controllable pets). There is nothing wrong with that, to be honest. We pay for a product and everybody has different priorities after all.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    CieloSimsCieloSims Posts: 143 Member
    I don't mind not being able to control the pets, does keep things interesting. It's kind of nice not being able to control them, especially since I play with large households full of controllable Sims, lol!
    Origin ID: CieloSims
  • Options
    CieloSimsCieloSims Posts: 143 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    YES!!!! That's what I was hoping for!

Though I am sorry for everyone who wanted them to be playable.

I am still trying to work out the difference between the playable ones and what they are talking about with 4 could you give me some sort of comparison so I can understand better :) I am used to series 2&3 pets..

In Sims 3, we could take control of the pets like we do with our Sims. The Sims 4 I suppose is leaving out that feature.
    Origin ID: CieloSims
  • Options
    Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    @HalloMolli why do you and many others keep assuming that IF pets in Sims 4 would be controllable they'd have the same AI as Sims 3? You are projecting an expansion from 2010 onto an expansion from 2017. Technology has advanced in those 7 years. Better AIs are possible now. Its perfectly possible to create pets exactly like how they are created now and still add a cheat to make them controllable. Even if its just to be able to move them out of a room or to make them interact with a certain object for story purposes, stuff like that really wouldnt completely destroy your precious AI. It didnt in Sims 2 which was created more than 10 years ago so why should it in sims 4? Explain this logic please.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    @HalloMolli why do you and many others keep assuming that IF pets in Sims 4 would be controllable they'd have the same AI as Sims 3? You are projecting an expansion from 2010 onto an expansion from 2017. Technology has advanced in those 7 years. Better AIs are possible now. Its perfectly possible to create pets exactly like how they are created now and still add a cheat to make them controllable. Even if its just to be able to move them out of a room or to make them interact with a certain object for story purposes, stuff like that really wouldnt completely destroy your precious AI. It didnt in Sims 2 which was created more than 10 years ago so why should it in sims 4? Explain this logic please.

First: This is a matter of how psychology works. Why would I want to "pretend" to not have Control over my dog when in reality I could just make him/her go outside to pee if I wanted to. Why would I go through the hassle of manipulating my Environment in order to achieve my Goal when I could just click twice on my mouse or use my Keyboard while Controlling my pet? Having the Option to Control pets totally defeats the purpose of having a pet in the first place. At this Point it even stopped being a pet Simulation, it's not. It becomes a Simulation of an ordinary animal which happens to live with humans. This is not what TS is about. The game is about simulating a life of a sim (!), thus it only makes sense to simulate pet-ownership accurately.

Same applies to NPC-roommates, by the way. The experience is completely different/invalid if you have the Option to Control them.

Also: Why do YOU assume that the AI/architecture (how pets behave) would be the same for controllable and not-controllable pets anyway? TS3 proves that npc roommates behave differently than your own household members. Devs could adapt a similar architecture with better optimization capibilities so that pets would behave even more realistic than ever before.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The simple fact is, if it were possible to give us both, they would have. But they didn't, so apparently it isn't as simple as some of you "experts" seem to think. Everyone should go to the "Cats & Dogs Simguru/Maxis Sourced Info" thread and read Grants reasons on page 4 in the What's Not Included & Why section.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Deshong04 wrote: »

Of course, you and those who feel the same don't think of it as good or bad because you are biased. You view things only from your own perspective and have no empathy as to how other play styles have been completely left out or altered in an undesirable way. Your attitude is one of 'it's all about me' instead of us as a Sims community together. Why can't we all enjoy the game? Naturally, not everyone can be pleased and this is obvious but TS4 intentionally caters to only a few play styles and audience, unlike previous Sims games that catered to ANYONE and EVERYONE.

Nah, not really, I personally hated pets in TS3 and got bored of them quickly.

Usually I prefer TS3 over TS2 and in General I prefer to have Options over restrictions in gameplay, however, when it Comes to pets having them controllable totally destroyed my own enjoyment.

Why are People demanding npc-roommates when you could just create a sim and leave them on full autonomy-mode? Because the experience, how you Play the game, the potential, whatever you call it is affected by this - not really small - design decision.

You guys can Keep your plum controllable TS3 pets to yourselves, nobody will take them away. But let me have a REAL pet-ownership simulation this time around.

Edit: But you have a Point: Everybody is selfish (especially People who want controllable pets). There is nothing wrong with that, to be honest. We pay for a product and everybody has different priorities after all.

I guess you missed the entire point of the argument which was summed up in that one bolded rhetorical question. Doesn't matter if you agree or disagree but if you can't grasp the basic concept of it, oh well.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Meltron2Meltron2 Posts: 70 Member
    A few essential requirements for pet pack. I've been with The Sims for 8 years, so please listen. 1. Pets must get out the way of the Sims. I had to put an another door in, so my Sim could get to work, because a pet was in the way. 2. Spay and Neuter option for all pets including the "stray" ones. Too many pets were being generated in The Sims 3. 3. Reversible spay and neuter is needed if I change my mind.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,346 Member
    One thing I'm worried about is how (or if) the pet AI will work for us no autonomy players. Sims 2 handled that well, I could play with free will off and the cats and dogs would still did their thing independently. So in theory there should be no cause for worry.
    However, when making Parenthood the devs didn't think about autonomy off gamers. They programmed one of the key features, the ask for advice interaction, in a way that it only ever comes into play in free willed households, because "ask for advice" cannot be initated by the player (a mod fixed that by now, fortunately). That's why I'm afraid my playstyle will be forgotten/neglected again in Cats & Dogs. Worst case scenario, my pets will stand around doing nothing at all until their needs drop into the red. And then they'll choose the most stupid action with no way to cancel that :s
  • Options

First: This is a matter of how psychology works. Why would I want to "pretend" to not have Control over my dog when in reality I could just make him/her go outside to pee if I wanted to. Why would I go through the hassle of manipulating my Environment in order to achieve my Goal when I could just click twice on my mouse or use my Keyboard while Controlling my pet? Having the Option to Control pets totally defeats the purpose of having a pet in the first place. At this Point it even stopped being a pet Simulation, it's not. It becomes a Simulation of an ordinary animal which happens to live with humans. This is not what TS is about. The game is about simulating a life of a sim (!), thus it only makes sense to simulate pet-ownership accurately.

Same applies to NPC-roommates, by the way. The experience is completely different/invalid if you have the Option to Control them.

Also: Why do YOU assume that the AI/architecture (how pets behave) would be the same for controllable and not-controllable pets anyway? TS3 proves that npc roommates behave differently than your own household members. Devs could adapt a similar architecture with better optimization capibilities so that pets would behave even more realistic than ever before.

Yet again you are talking about a 7 year old game compared to the year 2017 when it comes to AI. Do your sims 4 sims behave the same as sims 3 sims? No they dont. Pets wont either, controllable or not. Also, you could just not use the cheat? Or are you the kind of person that HAS to use every cheat available? Do you cheat money in every game simply because you can? Your arguments dont explain why there shouldnt be a cheat option implemented.
  • Options
    The simple fact is, if it were possible to give us both, they would have. But they didn't, so apparently it isn't as simple as some of you "experts" seem to think. Everyone should go to the "Cats & Dogs Simguru/Maxis Sourced Info" thread and read Grants reasons on page 4 in the What's Not Included & Why section.

You're right but thats because EA doesnt give them enough budget. Imo its important to criticize this matter so that maybe next time they will consider increasing the budget if our voice is loud enough. Its just a small maybe though considering its EA.
  • Options

Exactly. I am pretty sure the AI makes it impossible to provide Options. If this means that pets behave even better it's fantastic news.

Yet again you are talking about a 7 year old game compared to the year 2017 when it comes to AI. Do your sims 4 sims behave the same as sims 3 sims? No they dont. Pets wont either, controllable or not. Also, you could just not use the cheat? Or are you the kind of person that HAS to use every cheat available? Do you cheat money in every game simply because you can? Your arguments dont explain why there shouldnt be a cheat option implemented.

Yet you proceed on the assumption that making pets controllable (via cheat or whatever, does not matter) and then simply turn their autonomy on is the same as having non-controllable pets build from the ground up. Let me tell you a secret: It's not. NPCs behave differently than sims on "free will on"-mode.

But to answer your question: Yep, I find myself using cheats way too often. And I use them just because they are in the game and there are no consequences whatsoever.

• Options
    FlosheeFloshee Posts: 26 New Member
    @HalloMolli

If you hated controllable pets in sims 3 why didn't you just turn their free will on? The problem would be solved. The same could've happened in ts4. I also agree with @Namaya92 that there are so many years of difference between the sims parts and sim AI of ts3 can't be compared with ts4. I didn't control pets in ts2, I also sometimes didn't in ts3 and there was a difference in pet AI. Pets in ts3 more often interacted with my sim and weren't starving because they didn't eat from the bowl like they used to in ts2.
    What I'm saying is that AI in ts4 would be better without any doubts, no matter if the pets were controllable or not.
  • Options

Exactly. I am pretty sure the AI makes it impossible to provide Options. If this means that pets behave even better it's fantastic news.

Yet you proceed on the assumption that making pets controllable (via cheat or whatever, does not matter) and then simply turn their autonomy on is the same as having non-controllable pets build from the ground up. Let me tell you a secret: It's not. NPCs behave differently than sims on "free will on"-mode.

But to answer your question: Yep, I find myself using cheats way too often. And I use them just because they are in the game and there are no consequences whatsoever.

Ok but then you and I truly differ a lot in gameplay on a radical level so I will stop to try and discuss this we should just agree to disagree because i absolutely never use cheats unless i have to fix my game in some way. Using the money cheat would defeat the purpose of my gameplay so i just simply dont use it. Which is why i personally didnt see the harm in having the cheat be there. I wouldnt want them to be controllable sims either but I would want the cheat possibility in order to either fix a pet thats stuck somehow or for story purposes. The only difference between what they are going to be now would be that they are clickable and you can click on go here or make them interact with an object. I just dont see how an option like that would affect their AI design in any way. Of course Im not a developer so I dont know how simple or complicated it really is. In sims 3 you could control npcs with a genie btw so even there the design of an npc (roommate or visitor) didnt have that limitation. But if the current engine does well sucks to have that engine then.

But i do understand that you wouldnt want the option not even a cheat if you really dont like the possibility and cant stop yourself from using it if it exists in any way. Thats a personal matter though but I guess everything here is a personal matter of preference.
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited August 2017
    I hope they will add a cheatcode that allows players who wants to control pets can do it as in the sims 2 . End of the discussion. Everybody is winning and no stupid dilemma . Does it better with or without control?
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)