Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Horses

Comments

• Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I definitely agree.

Where I live it's far more common for horses to be kept in liveries or as pets (not in a farm). So for me, the idea of horses linked with rural farming isn't the first thing that comes to mind, it shocks me when people say 'horses should come with a farming pack as they are not pets'.

I'm disappointed at the lack of horses, but I am holding out hope that they will come with a farming pack. They are my favourite animal, and if it turns out that they'll never be added to Sims 4, I'd be pretty vexed. While there's hope, I shall hope, though.
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    It was strange for me too when someone said that they're not pets. They're as much a pet as any animal that's become part of the family and a companion. I suppose it's a cultural thing, I don't know. But it's nice to hear from someone else who has the same experience with horses being a normal part of life outside of farms and rural areas. :)

I guess we'll see where their future lies with this version of the Sims.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Clearly the company had a meeting and figured out a way to nickel and dime us giving us the least amount of new features and gameplay for the most money over time. They figured they'd get by with just cats & dogs in the beginning, just like vampires. At this point, I can't even be mad anymore. It's my own fault I keep supporting this foolishness. But no mas!!!!!

I'd rather have fully-baked vampires than half-baked multiple supernaturals. These are the best vampires in the entire series -- and I've never been a fan of them in the past. Give me a Magic pack with the same attention to detail, so I can create my own witches, wizards, mages and sorcerors, and I'll be quite happy.

If horses are indeed possible, the sort of horse ranch that the OP suggested could be included in another pack, for example the much requested rural/farming pack. And that pack wouldn't just be horses but would include other activities as well. With a horse boarding ranch, even Sims who live in San Myshuno could own a horse and go out to the ranch to ride and train, maybe even enter competitions. So it would make horse-owning more flexible, not limited to those who could afford a house with a large enough lot.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Baenre wrote: »
    It was strange for me too when someone said that they're not pets. They're as much a pet as any animal that's become part of the family and a companion. I suppose it's a cultural thing, I don't know. But it's nice to hear from someone else who has the same experience with horses being a normal part of life outside of farms and rural areas. :)

I guess we'll see where their future lies with this version of the Sims.

I've seen them as pets, but only for the really rich folks for the most part. And even among the very rich, they'll keep their horses at a boarding studio because they don't have the space at their home or the time for all the upkeep (feeding/grooming/daily exercise) and go to ride and train when they have the time.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It's likely that after the Cats & DOgs Expansion, we'll get a Stuff Pack based around pets - of course it wouldn't force you to have pets but it would work really well with them, just like Kid's Room and Parenthood are linked to Toddlers Stuff.

Perhaps Bird Cages would be programmed as a Stuff Pack's interactable item, rather than having the Riding Game Pack deal with it? The Suff Pack team dealt with Butlers, after all.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    horse.jpg
    Summer Holiday is kind of horse-looking - in the face department.

That's a weird way of spelling SAMANTHA.

Oh! Shots fired! :D
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    sara4681sara4681 Posts: 120 Member
    Im from Denmark where owning a horse isnt only for the super rich people. I live on the country and have some of my horses at home. My two competition horses is boarded in a CITY. Theres a big stable with two riding halls, a jumping course and some little paddocks. I ride dressage 5 times a week, and jumps every wednesday. I do all the feeding, mucking and grooming myself, and thats how i preffer it.
    Woohoo, Coffee and Rock n' Roll!
  • Options
    DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 299 Member
    edited August 2017
    Don't see why so many upset with it i personally like cats & dogs pack that is actually done well, not rushed flat and shallow in gameplay. Think if they tried making a broad pets pack that exactly what we would get some flat expansion with minimal gameplay value. Much rather have horses added separately in pack where there actual gameplay value enough in it do it justice, so pets don't end just being expensive living decor but that just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    I honestly think if they were to give us horses, it will be in a game pack. Fitting horses into Cats and Dogs EP will be too much
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    BooDaBoo5BooDaBoo5 Posts: 253 Member
    I'm in the camp that thinks they could be added in a farm pack. It does suck that we're getting less for our money this time around though. Hopefully what we have in the pets ep will be done super well!
  • Options
    FlosheeFloshee Posts: 26 New Member
    The ideas are nice, but travelling all the time with the horse to a different place than the household would be annoying to me, since I already have issues with controlling my sims when one of them is in their shop (get to work ep) for example. I loved horses in ts3, but I don't think they'd match ts4. I'm sorry, but I just have to mention the ts4 closed world. In ts3 horses were amazing, because you were able to travel anywhere you wanted, see wild horses, etc. I just don't think it would be as fun in ts4, where you have to load every part of the map if you want to go there.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Floshee wrote: »
    The ideas are nice, but travelling all the time with the horse to a different place than the household would be annoying to me, since I already have issues with controlling my sims when one of them is in their shop (get to work ep) for example. I loved horses in ts3, but I don't think they'd match ts4. I'm sorry, but I just have to mention the ts4 closed world. In ts3 horses were amazing, because you were able to travel anywhere you wanted, see wild horses, etc. I just don't think it would be as fun in ts4, where you have to load every part of the map if you want to go there.

The closed world aspect is the reason I think horses would be great in a vacation destination similar to GF but with a Old West theme instead. You could rent a horse and ride all over the "West" (somewhere like Arizona with all the red rock mountains and buttes) and explore different places. They could still be added to a large lot with enough room to graze, like Windenburg Island.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Clearly the company had a meeting and figured out a way to nickel and dime us giving us the least amount of new features and gameplay for the most money over time. They figured they'd get by with just cats & dogs in the beginning, just like vampires. At this point, I can't even be mad anymore. It's my own fault I keep supporting this foolishness. But no mas!!!!!

I'd rather have fully-baked vampires than half-baked multiple supernaturals. These are the best vampires in the entire series -- and I've never been a fan of them in the past. Give me a Magic pack with the same attention to detail, so I can create my own witches, wizards, mages and sorcerors, and I'll be quite happy.

If horses are indeed possible, the sort of horse ranch that the OP suggested could be included in another pack, for example the much requested rural/farming pack. And that pack wouldn't just be horses but would include other activities as well. With a horse boarding ranch, even Sims who live in San Myshuno could own a horse and go out to the ranch to ride and train, maybe even enter competitions. So it would make horse-owning more flexible, not limited to those who could afford a house with a large enough lot.
    It's a myth a seperate pack delivers better content but somehow people love to believe the myth so go ahead. That being said, I love your idea concerning horses. Who knows they indeed have something like that in store.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Don't see why so many upset with it i personally like cats & dogs pack that is actually done well, not rushed flat and shallow in gameplay. Think if they tried making a broad pets pack that exactly what we would get some flat expansion with minimal gameplay value. Much rather have horses added separately in pack where there actual gameplay value enough in it do it justice, so pets don't end just being expensive living decor but that just my personal opinion.
    You are familiar with Sims 3 horses? They are more than decoration I can assure you and they were part of Pets.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

It's a myth a seperate pack delivers better content but somehow people love to believe the myth so go ahead. That being said, I love your idea concerning horses. Who knows they indeed have something like that in store.

It's not a myth. Vampires in S4 are far better than vampires that came in S3 and then revamped to sparkle.
  • Options
    While I agree the vampires are better in TS4, that doesn't necessarily = separated horses or anything for that matter will be superior. That's the whole causation/correlation issue. It's nearly the same mentality that's circulating that pets being uncontrollable means they'll be livelier (if I understood that correctly).

This is where I come from in regards to horses (or any other animal someone would love to have) not being part of an EP that introduces pets: Pets was one of the reasons I personally hung in there with this version of the game. Horses to me, are how toddlers are for some. Granted there's a bigger base for toddler request, but that doesn't diminish my own (and others who feel as I do) pull for horses being part of pets.

Now I know nothing is guaranteed, let me get that out of the way. But pets being a normal part of life was a safe bet for making a cameo in this version. When I heard pets was coming, that gave me hope that I would get to see horses again and the game would feel a bit more complete for me as far as family representation goes. When they said no horses, I was disappointed. Now as I mentioned nothing is guaranteed, so I feel like the opening for horses just passed and they're not coming. I felt this was the most likely opportunity they would make a show.

My reasons for why I don't think they'll come in a separate pack is because there are so many other things in demand by players that I think EA would find as a priority to deliver before they even think about revisiting the prospect of horses. Especially at the rate EPs are coming out, and I think how to make the horses work is way too big simply for a GP. I could be completely wrong and they may surprise us, but the odds aren't looking good honestly and I'm a big girl, I get it. But I am disappointed.

I also feel kind of weird that as they release EPs, people suggest to make more packs based on the EPs which makes it feel like these are expansion packs of expansion packs...instead of putting it all together, because for some odd reason it's believed quality can't be maintained? Maybe I missed something. But fragmenting things generates more income so it works for EA. I hope all this makes sense. Understand I'm not "whining" but just sharing another perspective.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

It's not a myth. Vampires in S4 are far better than vampires that came in S3 and then revamped to sparkle.
    Yes, it's a myth. The vampires are great or so I've been told, but there's more to this game than vampires. Everything else so far (except for the patched in toddlers) isn't better at all. Take bowling. And Sims 2 retail (which came with an EP) blows Sims 4's retail out of the water.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Yes, it's a myth. The vampires are great or so I've been told, but there's more to this game than vampires. Everything else so far (except for the patched in toddlers) isn't better at all. Take bowling. And Sims 2 retail (which came with an EP) blows Sims 4's retail out of the water.

In your "humble" opinion.
  • Options
    may151997may151997 Posts: 209 Member
    Personally, I would prefer them to be in a separate pack, if they are going to add them. That way they could focus on them. I think it is definitely doable. You could ride them in a Outdoor Retreat type world, and use large lots for training and performance.
  • Options
    sara4681 wrote: »
    Im from Denmark where owning a horse isnt only for the super rich people. I live on the country and have some of my horses at home. My two competition horses is boarded in a CITY. Theres a big stable with two riding halls, a jumping course and some little paddocks. I ride dressage 5 times a week, and jumps every wednesday. I do all the feeding, mucking and grooming myself, and thats how i preffer it.

That's awesome by the way! :) And I'm happy to hear you're involved with the care of your horses. Lots of respect.
  • Options

No, fact.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

No, fact.

• Options
    Phantomrose90Phantomrose90 Posts: 299 Member
    It's still technically possible to ride around the neighborhood with the horses. To be honest, it is not like the sims are restricted to only their house lot, at least not entirely. When they go jogging, they can jog around their district, and the districts are fairly sizable. If EA were to add horses in the future, as their own Expansion Pack, Game Pack, or part of a Farm/Country Expansion, then they could easily have a rural-type of world with more rural-looking sections, to make it have more of an equestrian-friendly riding experience. The "riding around" could be implemented just like jogging in a rural-looking section, or you can transport your horse to one of the natural-looking parks for a trail ride. Adding equestrian lots, like they did in TS3 would also aid in the gameplay of horses, as well as introducing more ways of training them, rather than just riding them around a jump course, or racing them around. Some ideas include lunging a horse, doing dressage (consisting of different patterns, and movements in a dressage arena. Maybe there can be option when riding, like in TS3 for the jump course, but instead of it saying "run jump course," it can say "practice dressage test" or "practice flatwork" with a set amount of movements, and patterns that the horse and rider can do; circles, diagonals, going down the centre line, quarter lines, practicing the half pass or piaffe as the rider and horse get more advanced in the dressage discipline, etc.)

There are many things that the team can do with horses that can make it an expansion pack on its own, if they take the time and effort to do so, which I hope they will. Horses were well implemented in the Sims 3, however, there is so much more that they can do with them and improve upon that idea.
  • Options
    The island or countryside in Windenburg is a great place to ride horses.
  • Options

No, fact.

Everything on a forum is humble opinions ;) Like 'It's not a myth; vampires in S4 are far better than vampires that came in S3' is an opinion. This place is so filled with opinions that it's rather pointless to classify them as such. The real point here was (concerning 'myth') that history of this franchise has proven they can both add very fleshed out content to an EP and rubbish, as well as fleshed out content to a GP and rubbish.
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top