Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why only "Cats" & "Dogs"?

coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
Why so vanilla? Couldn't we keep some new animals we haven't had in the sims before? Cat's and Dog's just feels too vanilla and stereotypical suburbia. And I think it's sad to call 2 new pets an expansion pack! Maybe a game pack at the most..

Comments

• Options
    KayxxFanpireKayxxFanpire Posts: 500 Member
    I don't know if you've heard but we'll be able to create foxes in Create a Pet along with cats and dogs :) There will also be raccoons in the game but I don't think there has been word on if we can create them in CAP as well.
    03.22.2013 <3
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    A fox is still just a type of dog.

I feel like they are really ripping off the customer now calling Cats & Dogs an "Expansion Pack". Does nobody realize how much less content we are getting for the same price? They've really stretched the definition of game pack & expansion pack with this one. Obviously they wanted to save money so they made an "expansion pack" with the same budget as a game pack.

EA, you are really terrible to your loyal customers.
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

:|
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    They're both a canid but they ain't the same. As for why the EP is what it is, pick whatever reasoning suits you best. Limited resources, smaller teams, to divide up into smaller packs for Big Cash Money, etc etc.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I feel like they are really ripping off the customer now calling Cats & Dogs an "Expansion Pack". Does nobody realize how much less content we are getting for the same price? They've really stretched the definition of game pack & expansion pack with this one. Obviously they wanted to save money so they made an "expansion pack" with the same budget as a game pack.

The Sims 2 reused animations of Cats & Dogs from Urbz and then added some details.
    The Sims 3 reused the animations of small Pets & Cats + Dogs from The Sims 2.

The Sims 4 is rebuilding it all from scratch. That's what happens when you use decide to build content from scratch instead of recycling. You're going to get less.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »

:|

Well it is. How much work do you think it was to add foxes in this pack? It's not like they had to animate a whole new skeleton. They just took the dog skeleton and added some fox fur to it. This should have been Cats & Dogs Game pack.

If they wanted to call it an expansion, it should have been "The Sims 4: Animals" or "Unleashed" or something. And added a WIDE range of animals and wildlife to the game. Hence, an EXPANSION. Which EXPANDS your game more than just 2 domesticated vanilla animals.

My whole problem lies with them calling this an expansion when clearly they are stretching the definition with this one. They are charging us a higher price for what I would consider to be a game pack in terms of amount of content.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I was really holding high hopes for this one. I was really hoping we'd get something new with this one, maybe some new animals like chickens, a cow, a llama, a pig. I mean literally anything to shake this boring happy surburban life bubble they've created with this game. But time and time again I am let down. I've purchased every expansion and pack from Sims 1 up to Sims 3 but Sims 4 has reached a new critical low for me.

EA are a big company. Did nobody else see the rest of the gamescom stream? Look at how much of their budget they are spending on sports cars and flashy lights and action driving, and paying celebrities. Imagine how much of that budget is generated from the sales of the Sims?

If it's true that the Sims team is smaller than ever and have less resources than ever, then it must be true that EA are not putting back into the game for us so the Sims team can deliver what the series has done for many years until now..
    filipomel wrote: »
    Well the pack isn't even out yet, so you, or I, or any loyal customer don't know what is and isn't included. You don't know how cats and dogs are like in this EP, you don't know the extra stuff they've added yet. All you know is that dogs and cats are for sure coming, as well as a new world and a vet active career/business. From what I see the behaviour of the pets seem vastly improved and are all very distinct from one another, but then again the EP isn't out yet, so I wouldn't actually know. How about wait and see ya?

How about no? Did you not see the trailer? That is what's included.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    There's really no need to constantly double/triple post. Just edit your posts to add more comments to them...

Also we're also getting a new world, a new active career (and it's a career that's never been in a previous game before), a bunch of brand new animations and interactions for the pets, new traits for them, new Build/Buy Objects & costumes (along with an actual color wheel) for the pets new Build/Buy & CAS for the sims, plus we haven't heard anything about new traits, new lot traits, new aspirations but there's bound to be some in there. They can't show everything in a minute-and-a-half long trailer. I actually feel this EP is quite full compared to some of the other EPs we've gotten for Sims 4 and I can't wait to add it to my game.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    My whole problem lies with them calling this an expansion when clearly they are stretching the definition with this one. They are charging us a higher price for what I would consider to be a game pack in terms of amount of content.

Not true.

TS2 Pets and TS3 recycled Cats and Dogs from Urbz, so they didn't have to do the work again, so they could add more Pets with the budget.

The Sims 4 has the same budget, but they have to start from scratch.

If The Sims 3 had to start from scratch, we wouldn't have gotten horses etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I'm sorry I just cannot justify spending $50 on just Cat's & Dog's. I can buy a full new game for much less than that, games that are also "made from scratch". Stop making excuses for them..

They CHOSE to give you small bites of content for the highest price you will pay for. It's got nothing to do with what they can't do. You are making excuses for them. The Sims 4 has lowered everyone's standards.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I don't know if you've heard but we'll be able to create foxes in Create a Pet along with cats and dogs :) There will also be raccoons in the game but I don't think there has been word on if we can create them in CAP as well.

It's now been confirmed raccoons can also be made in cas.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited August 2017
    Again with this 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

The trailer is like 2 days old. They haven't had time to announce small pets yet. Just be patient. There's no logical reason why there won't be some new fish, or frogs, or a bird in Buy Mode that you can feed, talk to and build a relationship with. Or a freakin' womrat.

I swear this is the first pack for some of these people. Trailers don't announce everything that comes in the pack. There's blog posts and live broadcasts, and some stuff is kept secret until release day.

Be patient.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    i'm sorry to say i'm totally with you on this one. I've wanted pets since TS4 came out, which is a freaking long time. and they call it an EXPANSION PACK? no, i'm sorry. its no way NEAR an EP. it IS a game pack they advertise as EP. I mean, you could say that they added a world, which IS nice, don't get me wrong. but they also added a world with the Vampires GAME PACK.
    Having said that, I'm still hoping for a more detailed blogpost and a gameplay broadcast in order to obtain more knowledge on this pack. did they overprice it? IMO, YES.
    but we'll have to wait and see, maybe it IS worth the money...

-Yarden.
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    edited August 2017
    Also who the [Edited: Profanity] has a pet raccoon????? They could've done something slightly more realistic than a [Edited: Profanity] raccoon...
    "oh, here, have a pet Gorilla, and a pet Dragon..."
    WHO THE [Edited: Profanity] HAS A RACCOON FOR A PET
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on

-Yarden.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I was really holding high hopes for this one. I was really hoping we'd get something new with this one, maybe some new animals like chickens, a cow, a llama, a pig. I mean literally anything to shake this boring happy surburban life bubble they've created with this game. But time and time again I am let down. I've purchased every expansion and pack from Sims 1 up to Sims 3 but Sims 4 has reached a new critical low for me.

EA are a big company. Did nobody else see the rest of the gamescom stream? Look at how much of their budget they are spending on sports cars and flashy lights and action driving, and paying celebrities. Imagine how much of that budget is generated from the sales of the Sims?

If it's true that the Sims team is smaller than ever and have less resources than ever, then it must be true that EA are not putting back into the game for us so the Sims team can deliver what the series has done for many years until now..

Multiple people have told you we can have raccoons and foxes as pets and you dismiss it every time
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    uh ya did have dragons in ts3 tho
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Yardenro wrote: »
    Also who the F has a pet raccoon????? They could've done something slightly more realistic than a F raccoon...
    WHO THE F HAS A RACCOON FOR A PET

Who has a cowplant as a pet, and an alien/vampire couple next door irl?

This definitely is WAY more work than a game pack gets, this has been worked on for years.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2017
    I do hope the foxes will have their own set of characteristics. Are there chickens in this game? >:)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    k_gennak_genna Posts: 160 Member
    Everyone forgets that when this came out, it was specifically geared towards not being a huge lag machine like it was for some people with 3. They WON'T add massive amounts of stuff or all these little details, because it bogs the game down. However, what they do add, they are trying to ensure is amazing. It's different than the other's because 4 is aimed at being optimized for best game play for people even with low end computers. AAA company or not, the objective remains the same, being optimization. New framework, built from the ground up. This is what happens. Why you ask? Because so many people complained about how laggy ts3 was, and now they are complaining about it not being bogged down with nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I can play 3 very well, and some of us would like more content and are able to handle large games. However, most of the world doesn't have high end fully optimized desktops capable of running ts3 on ultra with minimal to no lag. This game is geared towards them, and I have to accept that. I can either sit and whine like everyone else, the same people who can't play 3, but want 4 to have just as much content, or accept that this is a lighter game and try and enjoy what's there. Perhaps when 5 comes out, they will be able to reuse what they are creating now, and we will have those massive games like before. Until then, you just have to accept it.

And on the devs. Some of them have been with this franchise from the beginning. Don't you think they are just as, if not more so, invested in this game? Don't you think they would rather make new content than keep making pets or spiral stair cases? If you want massive content go back to 3. If you want a LOT of content, but slightly smoother, go to 2. Meanwhile, deal with what we have. We can't change what they are doing, but we CAN change how we are reacting to it. Besides, we have a great modding community who can give us all the randomness we want....which is great, because people who CAN'T have large amount of content in game don't get it, and those who can DO.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Yardenro wrote: »
    Also who the F has a pet raccoon????? They could've done something slightly more realistic than a F raccoon...
    WHO THE F HAS A RACCOON FOR A PET

There's this thing called "fun".
    You might have heard of it.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member

Having completely new entities such and cats and dogs adds a lot of new content. Dozens of interactions for all ages, specific interactions for different shapes of animals and a whole list of interactions. I'm not sure if you had the same experience as I did but I found other animals in Sims 3 Pets really clunky and could have been improved on immensely. Like the horses? They were really clunky and I would have loved it if they actually fleshed out the competition part rather than a rabbit hole but I understood why they couldn't. By only focusing on cats and dogs, it gives the gurus a chance to fully flesh out the animals, interactions, and expand what you can fully do with these animals. Yes you are losing the amount of content but you are also getting much better quality content. Similar with what they did with the vampires by only focusing on the vampires rather than a whole pack of supernaturals. This also gives gurus the opportunity to flesh out content based around cats and dogs such as the vet career, a whole world that I am sure will accommodate the pet's needs (like an agility course for dogs and such) and even a whole new CAS system for the animals alone.

Once again it really depends on quality over quantity, and in my opinion, I would very much rather have a handful of amazing quality content rather than only rabbit hole competitions and fetching collectables.
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    'too hard, too expensive' was something I have heard a few times before
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Amber0922Amber0922 Posts: 73 Member
    This pack is going to be amazing! If it's not what you want, save the $$ and don't buy it. It's really that simple.