Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Self-bedding toddlers - aggravating or not?

TS4 toddlers have the ability to put themselves to bed; however, is that such a great thing?

I mean, if you are not careful, you can have a toddler that has an almost full energy bar before you realise it had snuck off to bed before bedtime.

This can lead to misaligned toddler needs.

I think it could be deemed aggressive - especially in a big house.

Comments

• Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I personally like that toddlers can be almost completely independent if the player so chooses it. It was much more annoying in the Sims 2 & 3 where if their energy need went up faster then the sleeping adults they'd sit in their crib and scream and cry with their needs tanking until you forced your sim to get up and let them out. Here if they somehow get on a different schedule I simply tend to their needs myself in terms of keeping them fed and make them nap if I want to get them back on a more normal sleep schedule.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    edited August 2017
    I like it. Well said #3KNPen
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    Yes aesthetically, no practically
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited August 2017
    I like self-sufficient toddlers; however, it is more a case of does it end up being aggravating?

I tend to set babies up to explode at certain times of the day - ie I keep them awake to get them into an eating/sleep pattern.

I like my toddlers to be pretty much on a schedule.

It's swings and roundabouts

I'm not too keen on a toddler that goes to bed too early - ie it was only just half-way on its energy bar and the AI panicked and sent it to bed.
  • Options
    LauraMSimLauraMSim Posts: 88 Member
    I love self-sufficient toddlers. Is it realistic? Well not exactly, though some toddlers do, do this. But the toddler sneaking off before bed is annoying. I have a big family so I cant keep an eye on her all the time.
    Sims 4 console player, former PC player.
    Waiting for all packs to go on console.
  • Options
    EmoFlowersEmoFlowers Posts: 325 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    I like self-sufficient toddlers; however, it is more a case of does it end up being aggravating?

I tend to set babies up to explode at certain times of the day - ie I keep them awake to get them into an eating/sleep pattern.

I like my toddlers to be pretty much on a schedule.

It's swings and roundabouts

I'm not too keen on a toddler that goes to bed too early - ie it was only just half-way on its energy bar and the AI panicked and sent it to bed.

That irritates me to no end when that happens. Usually, my toddlers are good about not going to bed if I don't put them to bed, but I think it's because I have them on a rotation to where they're unlikely to get tired before my adult does. Even if it does manage to get sleepy, I just direct it to the couch and have it take a quick nap there.
    I do, on the other hand, appreciate it when I'm trying to discipline my kid and the toddler just peaces out and does her own thing.
    I prefer them to not put themselves to bed since I like reading them to sleep, but unless it's the helicopter AI I don't mind it too much.
    !! Mermaids !!

RIP Princess (July 4, 2001 - January 11, 2016)
    RIP Misha (May 1, 2011 - July 2, 2016)
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Real life toddlers fall asleep when they think they will, convenient or not. Ok they don't necessarily put themselves to bed to do it, but it still disrupts everyone's routine.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    If they go to bed before I want them to I simply wake them up again and set them to do something else.

I have more of a problem with the using-the-diaper AI stuff they got going on where it will sometimes queue them up to use their diaper before they're in the yellow which makes trying to potty training really annoying. They shouldn't use their diaper until they're in or almost in the red not when it just barely turns yellow. At the very least we should be able to x out of the action if they're not in the middle of actually using the diaper.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    3KNPen wrote: »
    If they go to bed before I want them to I simply wake them up again and set them to do something else.

I have more of a problem with the using-the-diaper AI stuff they got going on where it will sometimes queue them up to use their diaper before they're in the yellow which makes trying to potty training really annoying. They shouldn't use their diaper until they're in or almost in the red not when it just barely turns yellow. At the very least we should be able to x out of the action if they're not in the middle of actually using the diaper.
    Yeh, but you can only do it when you have noticed it - sometimes it is almost too late.

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm starting to hate toddlers, not that I was a fan anyway. Looking after them is too time-consuming.
  • Options
    SnazzySpike1SnazzySpike1 Posts: 380 Member
    I like it personally. It's handy if the rest of the family is doing some skill building or something and you can just send them on their way. But come on, "agressive"? Holy...... I think you need the definition of agressive. And honestly, it's just a game, meant for fun. If it's stressing, in a bad way, then it's time to think.
  • Options
    I like it personally. It's handy if the rest of the family is doing some skill building or something and you can just send them on their way. But come on, "agressive"? Holy...... I think you need the definition of agressive. And honestly, it's just a game, meant for fun. If it's stressing, in a bad way, then it's time to think.
    behaving or done in a determined and forceful way
    The toddler was determined to get its own way and forced its way to bed.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited August 2017
    For me, it's at least better than toddlers in crib screaming and crying to get out. Their enegry bar reached full really quickly in The Sims 2, so I had to listen it in the night hoping one of them randomly escapes it. If they haven't learned to walk, oh my god it was annoying. My sims have twins a lot of times. The Sims 2 Pets was a lifesaver here...
    Post edited by EgonVM on
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »
    For me, it's at least better that toddlers in crib screaming and crying to get out. Their enegry bar reached full really quickly in The Sims 2, so I had to listen it in the night hoping one of them randomly escapes it. It they haven't learned to walk, oh my god it was annoying. My sims have twins a lot of times. The Sims 2 Pets was a lifesaver here...

Yeah once I realized that toddlers could nap on the pet bed I rarely ever put them crib they just raised their energy way too fast. There isn't such an option even available in Sims 3 that I'm aware of (not counting the swing which had it's own set of issues lol) though thankfully their energy rose much slower in 3 then 2.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »

I also panic and go to bed when my energy bar isn't even at half. I would love a baby that just hibernates until it is an adult.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    I'm fine with it. I like how I can manually ask them to go to bed if all the adults in the house are busy with something else.

And about the needs filling up and disrupting the timing, I can always cross out the action if I don't want the toddler to sleep just yet. Or maybe just ask him to take a nap. Naps always help a bit.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Real life toddlers fall asleep when they think they will, convenient or not. Ok they don't necessarily put themselves to bed to do it, but it still disrupts everyone's routine.

Soo true :lol:. When my son was 2 he'd runn around till 9pm and curl up on the couch, no if ands or buts about it, you weren't stopping him from sleep :lol: . Now he's 4 and he pretty much does the same except he knows he needs help to brush his teeth and then jump into bed.

Now, some tots do fight sleep to the very end. But I think generally, sleep always wins lol.

In the sims, I just make sure I get things done in advance before they go to bed. Make sure they rest/nap sometime in the daytime so it gives them some time to work on other needs/skills. Then let them go to bed to finish the rest of the energy bar.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    draculusa2003draculusa2003 Posts: 46 Member
    All my toddlers have misaligned toddler needs haha Parenthood is harddddd
  • Options
    MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    but, I f they get too annoying its either send them to bed or send them to zombie brainville with the wabbit tablet.
  • Options
    Deadtech5Deadtech5 Posts: 152 Member
    It definitely makes caring for toddlers a little easier in my opinion.
    chewbacca-wink.gif
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    I do not think it's nice to make your toddler stay up if it wants to sleep. In real-life, toddlers go to their little bed, when they are tired or even sad. so I think it's a good thing. Just understand you will never get over on your toddlers, toddlers rule. :):D so parents learn to deal with it.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I don't like how toddlers always go to their bed if their energy bar is barely yellow (with autonomy off) instead of napping, which would be more realistic. I do like it that adults don't have to always tuck them in as it's pretty time consuming and with more than one toddler would take literal hours :/