Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My first basement in The Sims 4

This is my first time i tried in The Sims 4, I did it a lot in Sims 3 :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcpR3OfG5gc

Comments

• Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    That staircase is an absolute deathtrap.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    That staircase is an absolute deathtrap.

was thinking the same thing :D
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited August 2017
    Not to mention the misaligned windows.

It really does grip my tortoise's back legs when I see misaligned windows.

Sims cannot see out of some of them - they are far too high - how are they even supposed to open them?

You can blatantly see this at 02:07.
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Not to mention the misaligned windows.

It really does grip my tortoise's back legs when I see misaligned windows.

Sims cannot see out of some of them - they are far too high - how are they even supposed to open them?

You can blatantly see this at 02:07.

You're not supposed to open them. They're to remain forever shut. . . Just like the windows to their souls. . .
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Cool.

I personally never have basements; the blackness and black grid everywhere around freaks me out.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    edited August 2017
    I LOVE basements. So much. Almost all of my houses have one, and I usually use them for skill rooms so that the majority of the above ground house are dedicated to family function. Gyms, science labs and bulky item entertainment (such as the virtual reality game pad, the bubble blower, or the DJ booth) are almost always in the basement, while the music room or art studio will sometimes go upstairs if space allows.

I dunno, I just love them to pieces. They are so helpful in creating extra space on a lot.

Go you for starting to play with them! My one tip, for the sake of looks and practicality, try plotting out the space for the stairs from the first floor. Once you pick your spot, drop down and build a small 3X8 basement room to help guide the stair placement, and then just check from above that you have it in the right place. Move it around until you hit your mark.

I generally have mine oriented so that the basement stairs come up beside the staircase on the main floor. If it's a one story house, I place my stairs where I plan to put the kitchen, generally building a little closet around the stair entrance. A lot of houses that I've been in that had basements, that's how the basement entrance was situated and I can attest that it works well with foot traffic having it situated like that in game.

Happy Simming!
  • Options
    ElainaElaina Posts: 80 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Cool.

I personally never have basements; the blackness and black grid everywhere around freaks me out.

Haha Same. It creeps me out as much as breaking a game and 'falling through the world'. I don't like looking at it as it feels like I'm not supposed to be seeing it that way and something has gone horribly wrong.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    You should try using the basement tool to make lining things up a bit easier. Maybe speed things up a bit as well.
  • Options
    PawelK198604PawelK198604 Posts: 323 Member
    mmt3363 wrote: »
    I LOVE basements. So much. Almost all of my houses have one, and I usually use them for skill rooms so that the majority of the above ground house are dedicated to family function. Gyms, science labs and bulky item entertainment (such as the virtual reality game pad, the bubble blower, or the DJ booth) are almost always in the basement, while the music room or art studio will sometimes go upstairs if space allows.

I dunno, I just love them to pieces. They are so helpful in creating extra space on a lot.

Go you for starting to play with them! My one tip, for the sake of looks and practicality, try plotting out the space for the stairs from the first floor. Once you pick your spot, drop down and build a small 3X8 basement room to help guide the stair placement, and then just check from above that you have it in the right place. Move it around until you hit your mark.

I generally have mine oriented so that the basement stairs come up beside the staircase on the main floor. If it's a one story house, I place my stairs where I plan to put the kitchen, generally building a little closet around the stair entrance. A lot of houses that I've been in that had basements, that's how the basement entrance was situated and I can attest that it works well with foot traffic having it situated like that in game.

Happy Simming!

I think that maybe one time i would try to build the Führerbunker you knew what i mean :wink:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE5fLaXG5a4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92g69Y1awd0
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    I love basements, particularly on small lots. My Sims could always use the extra space for a home gym, workbench, sauna, whatever. Homes that I download from the Gallery get basements added to them if they don't already exist. Especially for my vampires. Every good home needs a crypt, right?
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    philkewleyphilkewley Posts: 552 Member
    That seemed like a lot of hard work @PawelK198604 there is an easier way :)
    Use the basement tool while you're looking at the ground floor layout. That way you draw out the underground rooms from the top down, and it makes placing stairs a whole lot easier. Good luck
  • Options
    philkewleyphilkewley Posts: 552 Member
    If reality is your thing there's a really cool way to build houses from the ground up. In real life builders start by excavating a big hole for the foundations and that's how I start my builds that will have basements.

Use the basement tool to draw a big square on an empty lot
    08-08-17_2-16-47c2a0pm.png

go down a level and click anywhere in that basement to select it
    08-08-17_2-17-00c2a0pm.png

then go up a level again and hover the pointer over the yellow line until 'remove ceiling' is shown
    08-08-17_2-17-08c2a0pm.png

Going back down into the basement and clicking on the floor will give you the option of removing the floor too, now you've got a real hole in the ground building site :)

Start building rooms in the basement. I build the entire ground floor layout in the basement first then copy those rooms into position above ground, that way I've got foundations - and some of those rooms I could use as a basement.
    TS4 building is basically all about boxes, you can place them anywhere.

08-08-17_2-29-05c2a0pm.png
    08-08-17_2-29-20c2a0pm.png

When you've finished building the complete above ground house grab the arrows on the sides of the big hole and drag them to the walls of the basement rooms you've built, that's kind of like landscaping after the build is complete.

08-08-17_2-20-18c2a0pm.png
    08-08-17_2-20-28c2a0pm.png

Seems like a lot of work? not really it's a fun way to do things.

• Options
    madelynsims95madelynsims95 Posts: 285 Member
    I love basements! I put one in almost all my builds. I like to create little window wells to the outside so there is still natural light, and I normally put a dark wallpaper or stone on the outside of basement walls. It's just less visually distracting to me than the drywall.
    Origin ID: madelynsims95
    Stories/Challenges:
    Mother May I? (100 Baby Challenge)