Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get to Work vs. GP/SPs

the1975the1975 Posts: 82 Member
Hey guys! So, I really have to be stringent with my money right now, so I really can't buy packs all the time and usually watch out for sales and then try to make an educated decision on what the pack will really bring for my game.

Right now, the only expansion pack I don't have is GTW and as for GPs, the only two I have is Dine Out and Parenthood.

I think I want to either buy GTW or a GP along with a SP combo. Do you guys think I should get GTW or should I opt for a GP along with a SP? Any recommendations would be welcome, especially since I've heard GTW doesn't add much to the game (although I'd love the photography aspect of it along with having my sims go out shopping, but again the price is just an issue for me rn).

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited July 2017
    What is GP? Never mind I figured it out.
  • Options
    Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    It all depends on what you like. Sure GTW lacks in quite a lot of areas, but it enhances the base game rather than tacking on new things.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    GTW has a lot of bugs right now.... I know specifically the detective career is unplayable. So keep that in mind, unfortunately :/
    Spa day is a really good gp in my opinion, the build/buy stuff especially :)
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited July 2017
    If I had to pick between Get To Work and Parenthood, then I would take Parenthood.

Get To Work is really only of use if you are going to actually bother with the active careers.

Parenthood is if you want so much more interactions and stuff with your Sims - it really does add a lot to the gameplay/roleplay - especially for family play.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    GTW isn't bad, in my opinion, and I play with the content it came with a lot more than I give the pack credit for.
    I enjoy having the extra career options, though I don't often use the "active" aspect of them all, since I've never been into the goal-oriented features, and it also got rather repetitive and boring for me after prolonged use.
    What I get most out of the pack is the ability for my Sims to take pictures (as well as own different quality cameras), and the CAS items and Build/Buy objects that came with it, though for me and the Build/Buy objects, they mainly work for decorating.

If I were in your situation, though GPs have so far been my favorite in this game (with Parenthood, Dine Out, and Spa Day being my top 3), I'd probably go with GTW. It does add more gameplay, and the careers (and retail option) can keep you busy for awhile.

If not though, for a GP, I'd definitely go with Spa Day, since you already have DO and PH. Outdoor Retreat is pretty fun too, with the camping feature and all, but it all depends on personal preference. (Same can be said about Vampires, which is an amazing and well-done pack, but since they don't fit in my main save, I don't play them very often.) I've consistently used the content and features from Spa Day since its release, and though I do use OR's content as well, I rarely ever send my Sims camping. (That could change, if other vacation spots were offered in the future, but that is a different subject.)

For an SP, since I don't know what you have, I'm not sure what to recommend, but my top 3 favorite for those are Bowling Night, Vintage Glamour (mainly for the ability to hire butlers), and Kids Room. I've also been enjoying the new Fitness one for the CAS items it was released with.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but I hope my opinions were of some help, at least. Hopefully you're able to figure out which pack(s) you're going to buy, and that you have fun with whichever you decide upon. :)
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    Dayvon64 wrote: »
    It all depends on what you like. Sure GTW lacks in quite a lot of areas, but it enhances the base game rather than tacking on new things.

I do agree GTW with all it's pitfalls does still add to the game and can be improved if EA takes the time with later additions and patches.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    The bugs are annoying but I use GTW a lot as well, I like having sims in the doctor and scientist career and I like having sims own different types of shops too. I d buy the EP.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited July 2017
    I use GTW a lot. I just realized yesterday when I sent my sim to work, (science career) everyone that worked there are sims I play from many different households. The doctor career has 4 sims I play from different households. When my sim got promoted a coworker asked him out to celebrate and all his coworkers showed up. I've never seen that before.

Choice of going or sending your sims to work. When it gets to repetitive I just send them to work alone. I love redecorating the work place.

The detective career is glitchy.

The build/buy and CAS is nice.

I like the aliens except I wish they had powers to fix things.

The hidden world of Sixam.

I use retail a lot too. Farmer's Market, Fish Market, Book store, Toy store, Art Gallery Shop.

Spa Day is really fun. Well done GP.

@the1975, do you have a specific play style or various?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,646 Member
    edited July 2017
  • Options
    ledouxjazzledouxjazz Posts: 22 Member
    I own GTW and honestly I could do without it. The career tasks are extremely repetitive and I like the freedom that goes along with sims and having set tasks just isn't my thing. I don't use aliens either and try to keep them out of my game as I prefer realism. All in all it's just not worth the $ to me.

The game pack I get most use from is Outdoor retreat. (Unpopular opinion I'm sure lol) I use the objects a ton and I love having family camping trips.

My most used stuff pack is definitely vintage glamour. I love that I can deck out a mansion or use bits and pieces for a nice modern home.

It's ALL about your gaming style and preferences. I'd suggest looking up guides on the different packs and go from there
  • Options
    FlanodaaFlanodaa Posts: 56 Member
    I love GTW just for the retail aspect, but it definitely depends on your playstyle.
  • Options
    the1975the1975 Posts: 82 Member
    Thank you guys for your input! I think I'll wait a bit more and then hopefully over the next few months, I can aim to get GTW, then spa day or outdoor retreat.