Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Just Might Be The Last PC Version

Comments

• Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited July 2017
    I think that Sims 4 might be the last version, period.

I mean, unless Sims 5 is literally the most amazing game of all time, I doubt that many people would want to buy yet another version of the same game again, and have to wait years (again) for DLC.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    If that would happen I would never purchase something from them again. Although I don't think Sims 5 will happen anyway.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Why would anyone want to pay for something like TSM when we got the Sims 2 & 3?

Amen.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

I mean, unless Sims 5 is literally the most amazing game of all time, I doubt that many people would want to buy yet another version of the same game again, and have to wait years (again) for DLC.
    People said the same already about TS1 ;)

I started with TS2. But I remember how angry a lot of simmers were because EA had released TS2 instead of just releasing more EPs for TS1. Those people refused to buy TS2 at all because they wanted to punish EA and "didn't want to pay for the same game again".
  • Options
    NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    You have a greater Return on Investment with mobile games because they are cheap to make. This of course only works if you are willing to earn only little amounts for short periods and pay with your jobs because mobile games are made by chinese.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Yeah but keep in mind, just because we have had multiple sims games, that does not mean they are going to keep making them forever. And if they do make a sims 5, I am going to continue playing sims 4. That is the only sims game I will play, WHEN i play. Also, i hope that if they do continue on that endeavor , that sims 5 is dramatically more advanced and impressive than any sims game ever before to justify creating an entirely new version of the same game.
  • Options
    SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    edited July 2017
    Couple of thoughts

1) Just because overall mobile game revenue is bigger than PC and console revenue doesn't mean that will be the case for The Sims. This game's origin was PC, it is iconic, it is among the best selling games of all time.

2) Even if the revenue from Sims Mobile games did outweigh the PC revenue that doesn't necessarily mean they will stop making the PC version. Why would they discontinue a profitable product just because an even more profitable opportunity has arisen? Wouldn't it make most sense to do both?

I am sure that The Sims 5 will happen. Even if it takes an extended break this franchise is just too big to just never return.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    First consoles were going to kill PC gaming. Then mobile was going to kill PC gaming. Now virtual reality is going to kill PC gaming. Poor PC gaming, been killed so many times.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I don't thihk that'll be the case but if it is, it won't last long.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    I don't think that the Sims PC franchise will continue forever, but I don't think that they will make Sims 5, or any of the later sims games, into a mobile only game. Think about it. The base game is 40 dollars (I think, I'm Swedish, so i see the prices in kronas on Origin) and the EPs, GPs and SPs are 35, 20 and 10 bucks respectively or something like that. Everyone that plays sims 4 have at least paid 40 bucks to do so, and since the base game feels kind of empty, I'd dare to say that most players purchase at least one pack.

That's 50 dollars from the average player. If they made Sims 5 a mobile game, the game would probably have to be free to download if they wanted to get a lot of downloads. Then, they would have to make people pay for some kind of currency in the game, but they would also have to not make it too difficult to advance in the game without that currency or to pull people in enough for them to want to pay before forcing the player to pay to continue. Otherwise, people would just stop playing and delete it of there phone. While there definitley are people who spend a lot of money on a mobile game,I really don't think that they would get the average player to pay 50 bucks. Sure, probably in the long run, but would they be able to keep people for that long? In my experience, people lose interest for mobile games fairly quickly and they aren't exactly that willing to pay loads of money for them.

Also, Sims isn't really that well suited for mobile gaming in the first place. I can only speak for myself, but if I play the sims, I sit down and really get into the story and I play for at least an hour. When I play mobile games, it's usually for 5 minutes while waiting for something. Sims isn't really suited for 5 minutes of absent minded playing, you need something like Candy Crush or Best Fiends for that.
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Couple of thoughts

1) Just because overall mobile game revenue is bigger than PC and console revenue doesn't mean that will be the case for The Sims. This game's origin was PC, it is iconic, it is among the best selling games of all time.

2) Even if the revenue from Sims Mobile games did outweigh the PC revenue that doesn't necessarily mean they will stop making the PC version. Why would they discontinue a profitable product just because an even more profitable opportunity has arisen? Wouldn't it make most sense to do both?

I am sure that The Sims 5 will happen. Even if it takes an extended break this franchise is just too big to just never return.

I completely agree with this. Even if the Sims is not on top of PC sales, it still brings in a lot of money for EA, and will continue to do so as long as they continue the franchise. I believe there will be a Sims 5. :)
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    That would be awful. I am already hyped for TS5, but only when it is a pc game :D Mobile gaming is nothing for me, I almost never do it. I only use my mobile for texting and making calls. I don't even understand why so many people seem to watch youtube videos on mobiles exclusively.

It would be even more awful if they would make TS5 a VR only game...
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    GoddessqueenbGoddessqueenb Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2017
    Good ! Because they are not doing a good job with the sims 4 anyways!! I love my sims but, if they decided to go mobile only , that's fine with me. Just make the sims 4 the best game ever!
    Post edited by Goddessqueenb on
  • Options
    CroxycookCroxycook Posts: 239 Member
    I really don't see this happening. At least not yet.

The portion of the PC audience that wouldn't crossover seems simply too large to justify such a change.

In general, you don't stop making a product because another one makes more money. You stop because it no longer makes enough money to continue.

Sims 4 sales are fine. It doesn't have to hit best seller lists to be financially viable. There's a very large spectrum between the most successful and total failure.

Also, The Sims games on the PC are their own genre. That's a whole sort of competition EA doesn't have like it does with its racinging or fps games.

It's likely one day in the future it's simply no longer financially viable, but it doesn't seem like now is the time.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If they move to mobile then I am moving to a different gaming community

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Then it's not the sims
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    Let's hope EA ditches the sims altogether and sells the rights to a company that will do this iconic game justice!
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    There is no chance they would shift the main product line to mobile. Most of the revenue from mobile comes from IAP for Free to Play games. It's a lot harder charging for an app, and then charging for additional content compared to charging for IAP for a game that was free to download. The model for Sims works best on the PC format.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I wont be playing any more sims games then. I dont like mobile games, i physically despise them. i think mobile game developers are greedy. Im not playing a game that expects me to pay money every 5 mins for energy/coins/jewels so that i can progress. Its greedy. If it were a game you can buy and own outright without any of the mandatory micro transactions then yes i may play but again highly unlikely.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited July 2017

I dont know if i would carry on with the sims. We are 3 eps in and still waiting for core gameplay (pets,seasons,vacations,university,generations) and to be honest the wait between each ep is now a year. In the last 2 years ive gone on to play other game genres while waiting and to be honest ive kind of moved away from the sims and play more RPG, first person shooter, MMO's. I hardly really ever launch it anymore. I still come here to check news and catch up with people but not that often. I mean no disrespect to the developers of the eps but its just too slow for me and too long of a wait, theres no eps at the moment that interest me and i genuinely cant stay interested in the gameplay for more then 10-30 mins and then i just end up switching the game off.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    The smart move is a hybrid The Sims 5.

You play TS5 like you play TS4; however, you can also play on the move with TS5 mobile.

So, basically, you allow TS5 and TSM Sims to move between versions.

It's easy enough to do - you basically import your Sim to whichever version you want to play.

It's only a case of sharing relevant data.

Everyone is a winner and everyone is happy.
  • Options
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    The smart move is a hybrid The Sims 5.

You play TS5 like you play TS4; however, you can also play on the move with TS5 mobile.

So, basically, you allow TS5 and TSM Sims to move between versions.

It's easy enough to do - you basically import your Sim to whichever version you want to play.

It's only a case of sharing relevant data.

Everyone is a winner and everyone is happy.
    It could be done. But the mobile game and the PC game will still be very different. So I don't think that many simmers would be very interested.

Much more interesting for many simmers would it be if you could send copies of your sims over the internet to your friends such that you could show your sims to them. But the PC games should still work without an Internet connection and not be real online games while the mobile games still should be free online games. Otherwise the whole idea about the PC games being paid games with a huge number of expansions and the mobile games being games without all those expansions won't work.

So I think that EA should consider more online options for TS5 - but without making TS5 into a real online game.
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I hope not. As much as I enjoy having my phone to socialize and browse Tumblr, I've never been a fan of mobile games. Nothing beats getting home after a long day and sitting in front of my computer monitor to play TS4 (or whatever). Also, my phone has literally two buttons on it. I don't know how going from Sim to Sim would work without making use of a touch screen, something I've never been too fond of.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2017
    Just because there's something new or profitable around, doesn't mean it can't coexist with other profitable things. Phones, tablets, computers, laptops and mini computers all manage to stand side by side without annihilating one another just fine (for the most part anyway). People also used to wonder if one black box would come to unite them all, and yet, all we've seen so far, is black boxes with extremely identical functions proliferating endlessly. Just like, to come back to games, Rayman didn't only get released on one sine platform, but on pretty much all of them. I think it's absolutely impossible to tell when and if there will be a sims 5. Personally, I think this franchise is more than profitable enough for EA to keep it going. But sure, maybe they won't. Although I doubt the one and only reason will be TSM. Freeplay didn't kill TS4 any more than I think TSM will singlehandedly kill TS5. So if there really won't be a TS5, I'd try to put things into a slightly larger perspective than that.
  • Options
    I believe that PC gaming will stop some day. But not before people don't use PCs for their gaming anymore and I believe that day is still far out in the future.

Mobile phones won't replace PCs for gaming because their screens are far too small for that. But other devices may. Gaming consoles for TVs could be much nearer the end of their era because smartTVs don't really need them. But smartTVs aren't advanced enough yet to replace our computers. I guess that this will change in the future though because when smartTVs get enough power then they only need a keyboard and other controlling devices to do everything that we today do via consoles or on our computers.

Handheld devices like tablets will also be used though.

The era for the big Sims games will of course end some day too. But just not yet because I am sure that EA will attempt to develop new different and improved versions of them until their sales numbers go down so much that it wouldn't be very profitable anymore. But if we were near that day then we would have seen EA release very few SPs and GPs too for at least the last year. But instead EA has released a huge number of them. This is enough for me to know that they still are very profitable and that EA therefore for sure will release TS5 too. TS6 will only be released if the sales numbers are high for TS5 too though.