Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Is it worth a try?

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    As for aesthetics: I often find CC replacements uglier than a vanilla sim myself. I can tell people are very satisfied with the result themselves (which at the end of the day is all that matters of course), but though I don't go around telling people I think their sims look awful (the way so many people feel the constant need to slate vanilla sims in 3 somehow) I sometimes have a hard time to see what they are seeing.

"Oh, those ugly plum pudding faces!"

Qug4MNR.png

"Quick quick quick, let me improve that!!"

opT67IG.jpg

To each their own.

XD I guess it depends on what kind of person your trying to make . When making a very unique looking person into a sim then the need for cc might increase to make it as close as possible . Some people like the ea hairs while others don't.

But I feel I have too many hairs at once that I don't always use
    I love my CC skin in the game (kurasoberina) and the few CC hairstyles I have, but they're all Maxis Match ;) It's all a matter of preference I guess. I'd love more sliders by the way, but not enough to go through the hassle I guess :#
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    As for aesthetics: I often find CC replacements uglier than a vanilla sim myself. I can tell people are very satisfied with the result themselves (which at the end of the day is all that matters of course), but though I don't go around telling people I think their sims look awful (the way so many people feel the constant need to slate vanilla sims in 3 somehow) I sometimes have a hard time to see what they are seeing.

Qug4MNR.png

opT67IG.jpg

To each their own.

XD I guess it depends on what kind of person your trying to make . When making a very unique looking person into a sim then the need for cc might increase to make it as close as possible . Some people like the ea hairs while others don't.

I love my CC skin in the game (kurasoberina) and the few CC hairstyles I have, but they're all Maxis Match ;) It's all a matter of preference I guess. I'd love more sliders by the way, but not enough to go through the hassle I guess :#

I can package my sliders and link them to you if you want
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member

Qug4MNR.png

opT67IG.jpg

To each their own.

Hassle? You already have MC, which you need for it, and you need MC integration, and next to it all you have to do is actually download sliders and simply put them in your mods folder.
  • Options

Qug4MNR.png

opT67IG.jpg

To each their own.

I can package my sliders and link them to you if you want
    Thanks for the PM!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    edited July 2017
    As for aesthetics: I often find CC replacements uglier than a vanilla sim myself. I can tell people are very satisfied with the result themselves (which at the end of the day is all that matters of course), but though I don't go around telling people I think their sims look awful to me (the way so many people feel the constant need to slate vanilla sims in 3 somehow) I sometimes have a hard time to see what they are seeing.

Qug4MNR.png

opT67IG.jpg

To each their own.

The dude in the first pic is not a puddingface though, he actually looks pretty cool haha. Puddingface sims are the NPC's default face all homeless generated sims get when you don't have awesomemod installed. Take a good look at your butler, babysitter, genie, homeless high school students, etc. they all have the same face. What awesomemod does is, it randomizes their looks. I think they choose from the default faces available in CAS.

I get what you mean though. Years ago I used to have a ton of CC that would alter the face of a sim completely. I completely got rid of those, because it made my CAS content so messy and I also felt it was so unnatural compared to townies. Now I just have a default replacement skin and default replacement eyes together with a lighting mod, so that at least everyone in town has similar graphics. The skin/eyes I use you can see them on the guy in my signature. Still pretty natural imo but it just enhances the graphics a bit by being HD and a bit smoother. That's how I like it. The 2nd guy u showed looks horrendous imo XD. Pretty sure it was hard work to make a sim look like that though so kudos for that to whoever made him.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    It's my favourite sims version. Get the graphics set up right and you are in for a real visual treat. There is literally something to suit everyone, builders, story tellers, family players. It is worth learning to use the CASt properly because with TS3 you can really express your individuality. Supernatural is a good all round pack (flying vacuums) and Seasons is another. Some of the store worlds are really special, try Roaring heights and some of the simmer made worlds take it to a whole new level of beautiful. You will have so much to explore so enjoy.

Ps I too grew up in a world without computers and my trusty steed was a red and cream bicycle. The most technical thing I did was build my brother's model dinosaur kits :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    As for aesthetics: I often find CC replacements uglier than a vanilla sim myself. I can tell people are very satisfied with the result themselves (which at the end of the day is all that matters of course), but though I don't go around telling people I think their sims look awful to me (the way so many people feel the constant need to slate vanilla sims in 3 somehow) I sometimes have a hard time to see what they are seeing.

Qug4MNR.png

opT67IG.jpg

To each their own.

The dude in the first pic is not a puddingface though, he actually looks pretty cool haha. Puddingface sims are the NPC's default face all homeless generated sims get when you don't have awesomemod installed. Take a good look at your butler, babysitter, genie, homeless high school students, etc. they all have the same face. What awesomemod does is, it randomizes their looks. I think they choose from the default faces available in CAS.

I get what you mean though. Years ago I used to have a ton of CC that would alter the face of a sim completely. I completely got rid of those, because it made my CAS content so messy and I also felt it was so unnatural compared to townies. Now I just have a default replacement skin and default replacement eyes together with a lighting mod, so that at least everyone in town has similar graphics. The skin/eyes I use you can see them on the guy in my signature. Still pretty natural imo but it just enhances the graphics a bit by being HD and a bit smoother. That's how I like it. The 2nd guy u showed looks horrendous imo XD. Pretty sure it was hard work to make a sim look like that though so kudos for that to whoever made him.
    Exactly, I know, but I see the term 'puddingface' used much broader than the default sim in 3 (all sliders in the middle) ;) (especially in the TS4 section). CC is not a necessity to create acceptable sims imo (this particular guy in fact looks better to me like this than with kurasoberina's skin; I played him when I didn't have any CC yet but tested him with the skin later).

I'm curious how that mod works by the way, because they did something really clumsy when they designed Sims 3's CAS. Like, not paying any attention to how females are transferred into males (which is why you can get such awful offspring sometimes when you don't test it first). I don't hate the real puddingfaces by the way, they look kind of sweet (and dull) to me. And I love throwing them into MC to push and pull their cheeks and eyes a bit, make them look a bit less plain.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    In defence of vanilla games, it takes real time and patience to create characterful sims this way but it is for some immensely satisfying. We all have our own way of creating our own version of perfection. There is no right or wrong way as OP will find out should they try TS3 but it seems rather churlish, if not rude to the creator, to call vanilla sims "pudding faced". It takes all sorts to make a world even when simming.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options

Qug4MNR.png

opT67IG.jpg

To each their own.

Exactly, I know, but I see the term 'puddingface' used much broader than the default sim in 3 (all sliders in the middle) ;) (especially in the TS4 section). CC is not a necessity to create acceptable sims imo (this particular guy in fact looks better to me like this than with kurasoberina's skin; I played him when I didn't have any CC yet but tested him with the skin later).

I'm curious how that mod works by the way, because they did something really clumsy when they designed Sims 3's CAS. Like, not paying any attention to how females are transferred into males (which is why you can get such awful offspring sometimes when you don't test it first). I don't hate the real puddingfaces by the way, they look kind of sweet (and dull) to me. And I love throwing them into MC to push and pull their cheeks and eyes a bit, make them look a bit less plain.

I'll pay attention to the npcs in my game and take some screenshots for you when i have time to play tomorrow! I haven't paid much attention to it but I can't remember ever seeing horrendous faces. Maybe they made a selection that made sense to them or something like that.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    For those who are interested, AwesomeMod is great if you want it but NRaas StoryProgression also has a system that allows player control over the genetics inactive resident sims and homeless Service Sims/Roommate pick up. The SP way, there are three sources for these sims' looks -- random spawning of a new sim (this is the EA way, actually), borrowing of genetics of sims already in the game so the new ones come out more like very distant, off the family tree relatives of someone already in town, and using the genetics of sims in the Household Bin (not the CAS sim bin), with the player allowed to specify which ones can be exempt from use. A percentage chance can be set for each of the three sources.

To extend the genetics system to homeless NPC Service Sims and Roommates, the SP Population and Extra modules are required. SP Population is needed for the mod's Advanced Genetics anyway.

If the player has no interest in SP for its story progression this all might be admittedly a bit much to take on all at once, but I see plenty of variation in my game's automatically generated NPCs without using Awesome, although I used to use it many years ago. Unfortunately the SP system does not extend to homeless co-workers. It actually isn't meant to extend to Role Sims either but I am positive it still does to an extent as the number of zero slider (a more polite way to refer to them than pudding) bartenders and cash register attendants, etc. that I get is pretty low.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited July 2017
    I started out with AwesomeMod as soon as it was released - it fixed a LOT of borked things that were in the game when it first came out - but eventually I switched to all the NRAAS mods and prefer those now. I have so much more ability to customize the game according to my preferences, and the mods don't mess with the core of the game like AM does (which means if you decide to remove it for any reason you usually have to trash your game). However I think a lot of people prefer AM mostly because it can be a lot simpler to set up. NRAAS mods have so much customization that they can be a bit intimidating, although you can also just stick NRAAS mods in the mods folder as-is (without changing any settings) and they work fine.

As far as changing the looks of the residents, I prefer NRAAS because I can fill my household library with the sims I want the game to take "DNA" from. With AM, I sometimes found the residents to be just as unappealing as the boring pudding face that gets generated by the vanilla game. But that's just my opinion.

As for CC, I've always had to have custom skins and eyes for TS2 and TS3 (don't remember if I had these for TS1, it's been too long!). I find the sims are just a bit too fake and cartoony for me without those but as always, to each their own!
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Fun fact: the game wouldn't really play all that differently if sims had no skin or eyes at all (except for the parts where they wouldn't be able to see where they were going or get hypnotized by vampires). Much like real humans, they are just containers of mostly water and a few trace chemicals. Maybe a bit more fruit sugar than humans, maybe a bit less caffeine in some cases, depends on what they or we have consumed that day.

How's that for taking the fun out of everything? :p
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Lol, true that :D When you're really playing that is, zooming in would make a good horror movie theme though :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I never knew the NRAAS SP mod had an option like that! I got all NRAAS mods even the SP population one and turned off everything I didnt need from awesomemod like its own SP to make sure nothing would conflict with each other. Though reading your explanation @igazor i gotta say it sounds complicated and a lot of work to set up a gene pool for it, while with awesomemod i only had to select the option in the config tool :P. Im sure it's more easy than you make it sound though since you were kind enough to explain the mechanics behind your option. At the moment i got my mods both awesome and nraas set up in a way that I dont dare to touch any of it anymore since i like how my game works now and im scared ill lose stuff i forgot i had if i change things around haha.
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    Fun fact: the game wouldn't really play all that differently if sims had no skin or eyes at all (except for the parts where they wouldn't be able to see where they were going or get hypnotized by vampires). Much like real humans, they are just containers of mostly water and a few trace chemicals. Maybe a bit more fruit sugar than humans, maybe a bit less caffeine in some cases, depends on what they or we have consumed that day.

How's that for taking the fun out of everything? :p

I find the surgical removal of Katy Perry Sweet stuff clothing from NCPs very relaxing and great fun :)

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    I guess it depends on the gameplay you're in to - personally I loved the Sims 3 and it's one of my favourites. I liked the open worlds and the expansions had so much, I didn't have any issues with game play other than it being a bit laggy every now and then (I was playing on quite an old Samsung laptop mind) but you're probably better checking specs and things before buying.

If you're not sure I'd suggest watching some play throughs on YouTube first - I do that before deciding on any expansions :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I never knew the NRAAS SP mod had an option like that! I got all NRAAS mods even the SP population one and turned off everything I didnt need from awesomemod like its own SP to make sure nothing would conflict with each other. Though reading your explanation @igazor i gotta say it sounds complicated and a lot of work to set up a gene pool for it, while with awesomemod i only had to select the option in the config tool :P. Im sure it's more easy than you make it sound though since you were kind enough to explain the mechanics behind your option. At the moment i got my mods both awesome and nraas set up in a way that I dont dare to touch any of it anymore since i like how my game works now and im scared ill lose stuff i forgot i had if i change things around haha.
    Very understandable, why fix something that for you is no longer broken.

It doesn't take all that many saved households to "seed" the genetics that way but honestly, I never do that myself. The households I tend to put in the Household Bin are there for storage, not genetics, so actually I take the time to disallow that entire option of the three. And I know when I've forgotten to do that for a specific world when I see a sim who looks like myself or one of my NRaas colleagues tending a bar or wandering around town -- oops. The other two options, the EA method and using the genetics of sims already in-game, work out fine for me.

But I'll make exceptions as well, it depends on the world and how I want or expect it to be populated. If I want one world to be all or mostly occults, for example, or somewhat favor sims with a certain look or set of attributes, then the more complex options are handy to have access to.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    LOL igazor you just reminded me that one time I started a new TS3 folder and only had like 3 households in my sim library. I imported my NRAAS settings and suddenly I was seeing all these sims who were identical to the household I was playing - and they even had the same name, because there is an option for randomizing names that I forgot to set. It was kind of hilarious in a creepy kind of way. :p
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    LOL igazor you just reminded me that one time I started a new TS3 folder and only had like 3 households in my sim library. I imported my NRAAS settings and suddenly I was seeing all these sims who were identical to the household I was playing - and they even had the same name, because there is an option for randomizing names that I forgot to set. It was kind of hilarious in a creepy kind of way. :p
    Yes, and I once repopulated Uni World in such a way that every new incoming student was a vampire, werewolf, or vamp-wolf hybrid, and they all had the same name. Had simply imported the wrong SP settings, didn't take long to figure that out. I almost played through that mess, guess it could have been interesting, but wasn't really in the mood at the time so just dumped it and redid that game session the way I had intended to. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member

I think we've all been there xD
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    I hope you enjoy this game Sims 3 is very fun and if you do use CC use NRaas mods that will help your game.

I myself play with CC in the game.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    A_Culler wrote: »
    igazor wrote: »
    @A_Culler - Sorry, you've lost me there. I always use the UI to turn the game camera although I know I can do so with the mouse wheel. You can also use the < and > keys but that's probably even more awkward for most. Never heard of using the right mouse button for that, perhaps it's a TS4 thing?

Yeah, and if I remember right it was available in Sims 2 as well. Oh well, I'll adjust it's just awkward.

I found it awkward as well at first, but I ended up liking it better and using the TS3 camera settings in TS4 as well lol. hope you're enjoying the game, TS3 is another amazing sims game & it's got so many things to do (+ seasons, of course :))