Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does the sims 3 run better than the sims 4?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Both games run fine on my pc, which is not a gaming pc, but has the specs to handle them. I actually bought an older computer (well, it was new, but not on the top of computer developement), because Sims 3 is an older game by now and sometimes can´t run well on new rigs without a lot of tweaking.

I can tell, that my Sims 3 game (with all expansions and most of the store content), even helped by Nraas mods, is harder on my pc than the Sims 4, but it still runs smooth and with only minor hiccups. Sims 4 on the other hand, gets worse with every pack. It´s really buggy for me at the moment, and I really don´t know what they did to the save menue with the latest patch. It´s annoying. Playable, but annoying.

Also, Sims 3 seems to pick favourites - from all I read on different sites, it should be possible to give two people two identical computers to play the game on, and on the one it will run, on the other one not. Sneaky game, that. :D
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    My sister and I have the exact same laptop. Sims 3 runs fine on mine with all Eps except Pets and most of the store (can't be bothered with stuffpacks) but is a laggy mess on hers to the extent she had to uninstall it. It's really strange.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Yubell wrote: »
    I've found this out yesterday as I deleted the sims 4 because it was bugging me (Literally), and apart from loading times (about 5-8 minutes) the game run flawlessly no stuttering, lag, time issues, animation issues what so ever it basically ran fine and I found myself playing for 6 hours because I wasn't bothered constantly by bugs, How come this happens? because everyone seems to tell me that I don't have the computer to run the sims 4 but surely if that was the issues I wouldn't have the computer to run the sims 3 because it's all open world and the worlds are larger. I lag all the time with the sims 4 and I'm only loading in 1 lot yet with the sims 3 I'm loading in a massive world, I sometime get an odd 1 second pause in animation but it's not terrible at all yet it pauses so bad with the sims 4 plus my computer is only basic and not a gaming computer at all. Has anyone else found this to be the case? why does this happen?

Old computers that had that game from the start, and did all the updates with your old game would run the old game better.
    when you get your new computer. better of course. you would run sims 4 better. still, you will have loading screens. :'(
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I have a new computer and both games run equally great in terms of smoothness. Must add I only have a few packs for Sims 4 and everything for Sims 3 (including 9GB Store stuff and 238MB mods).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I think that many people who had performance problems with TS3 had CC or mods and didn't realize that they might be the problem. So when you go back to the game and start fresh with nothing added, it's a big difference. (This doesn't apply to everyone, of course.)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Well ignoring a few crashes and even a nasty Save Error while trying to do some filming (the game gets upset when I move too many Sims around) I would say that the normal gameplay for TS3 is really good. At least you know that if your PC can handle it then you won't have many problems
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    Well ignoring a few crashes and even a nasty Save Error while trying to do some filming (the game gets upset when I move too many Sims around) I would say that the normal gameplay for TS3 is really good. At least you know that if your PC can handle it then you won't have many problems

Mine crashed because I replaced Island Paradise's world with a fixed world :( Click on map view and *crash* I just backed up my saves, options, and downloads and reset it to factory. Ouila, runs perfect again
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    My sister and I have the exact same laptop. Sims 3 runs fine on mine with all Eps except Pets and most of the store (can't be bothered with stuffpacks) but is a laggy mess on hers to the extent she had to uninstall it. It's really strange.

How well does she treat her laptop? Does she -ever- do a file clean and purge all the old stuff?
    Cause I never used to and my computer would also have sooooo many issues. Even opening web browser windows was as if I'd just asked it to do quantum computing. However I started purging all the garbage in it more regularly and now it purrs like a kitten and its the fastest its been since I've owned it. Its running like it did when I first got it.
    She might need to do just some regular maintenance on it if its not working. Before Sims 3 never would have run on my laptop but with some actual TLC on my unit and the Overwatch and ErrorTrap mods in the game it runs beautifully. I can even have wild horses running around my lot at the same time as a thunderstorm and its just fine.
    If you have the same system and one will run it and one wont, its probably just a sign one of them needs some love. Its probably slower doing most other things too.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    wingweaver84wingweaver84 Posts: 81 Member
    Yubell wrote: »
    I've found this out yesterday as I deleted the sims 4 because it was bugging me (Literally), and apart from loading times (about 5-8 minutes) the game run flawlessly no stuttering, lag, time issues, animation issues what so ever it basically ran fine and I found myself playing for 6 hours because I wasn't bothered constantly by bugs, How come this happens? because everyone seems to tell me that I don't have the computer to run the sims 4 but surely if that was the issues I wouldn't have the computer to run the sims 3 because it's all open world and the worlds are larger. I lag all the time with the sims 4 and I'm only loading in 1 lot yet with the sims 3 I'm loading in a massive world, I sometime get an odd 1 second pause in animation but it's not terrible at all yet it pauses so bad with the sims 4 plus my computer is only basic and not a gaming computer at all. Has anyone else found this to be the case? why does this happen?

One reason could be because of your connectivity. Sims 4 requires Origin to install/download and if you've left on your online settings,the connection could have something to do with the lagging. Sims 3,despite all its content,does NOT require Origin or an Internet connection(unless you're using SimPort). The necessity for Origin is a reason I don't often play Sims 4,in fact I just uninstalled it recently. The age of your computer might also be an issue.

A friendly reminder that Project Rene has not yet been confirmed as Sims 5.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Mine crashed because I replaced Island Paradise's world with a fixed world :( Click on map view and *crash* I just backed up my saves, options, and downloads and reset it to factory. Ouila, runs perfect again
    You can also make those changes manually in EA's IP. I did that and in combination with NRaas Errortrap and Overwatch I play a game with very little hiccups and nights that don't freeze constantly.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Rule number one: Always back up saves
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    If anything, Sims 4 added a 64-bit version while Sims 3 is still 32-bit and always will be. For me, they run about the same... Sims 3 crashing when I ever I reach the ram limit. Sims 4 has only ever crashed once but to be fair, I don't play it nearly enough to give it the chance. I prefer Sims 3 just for the gameplay alone. It's an added bonus that I hardly have performance issues.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I have an Asus gaming computer and I don't have problems with S3 or S4. I did take out all cc and never used mods with S3 in order to get that perfectness. From the time Supernatural came out in S3, I only had one crash and all that due to taking out cc and not using mods. :)
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

There are things you can do in Island Paradise's world to somewhat "fix" the problems, that's what I did. If you delete all the ports it helps and there are a couple houses that are glitched. I have never really had any problems with it.