Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Backing up SIMS only

Hey everyone! I have a quick question. I'd like to start a fresh save for my game but ONLY want to backup my SIMS not the entire game itself. Is there a way to do this? I just want a fresh save but don't want my Sims to lose their skills etc. Can this be done at all? Thanks in advance for your help!
You get what you give. Why not give a little more love? <3

Comments

• Options
    FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    you can save them to your library and they'll keep their skills, jobs, and traits.
  • Options
    LotusM12LotusM12 Posts: 113 Member
    Falynios wrote: »
    you can save them to your library and they'll keep their skills, jobs, and traits.

Sweet! Thank you so much!!
    You get what you give. Why not give a little more love? <3
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Just make sure that you don't delete the "Tray" folder inside your Electronic Arts/Sims 4 folder. That's where your library items are stored.
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    Can I save Sims to individual files instead of the library?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited June 2017
    xPaxion wrote: »

No. To get at them in the first place, you need to save them to the Library. Then each household there, in the Tray folder, consists of multiple files (4? 5? something like that), so you'd need to put those in a folder. You can then stash that somewhere outside the Library for safekeeping, but to access that household, you'd have to take the files out of the folder and put them in the Tray folder (library), which doesn't read subfolders.

That said, when you save to the Library, the individual household files are accessible - Tray is a folder, not a big file.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member

No. To get at them in the first place, you need to save them to the Library. Then each household there, in the Tray folder, consists of multiple files (4? 5? something like that), so you'd need to put those in a folder. You can then stash that somewhere outside the Library for safekeeping, but to access that household, you'd have to take the files out of the folder and put them in the Tray folder (library), which doesn't read subfolders.

That said, when you save to the Library, the individual household files are accessible - Tray is a folder, not a big file.

Okay so if I backup the folders say I did a fresh install and they were missing from my library but I had them backed up, I could just transfer my Sims into the gallery?
  • Options

Okay so if I backup the folders say I did a fresh install and they were missing from my library but I had them backed up, I could just transfer my Sims into the gallery?

A fresh install shouldn't touch your Tray folder unless you delete it to recreate the gameplay folder fresh. If you have backed up the Tray folder, you can just copy its contents back into the active Tray folder. The Gallery is online and also an option if you don't mind other Simmers having access to your Sims, but sometimes we've seen people's Sims/lots disappear there, so I advise keeping a copy of the Tray folder as well.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member

No they won't.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    MrMonty96 wrote: »

No they won't.

They will keep skills and reward traits but not jobs, money, or inventory.
  • Options
    > @MrMonty96 said:
    > Falynios wrote: »
    >
    > you can save them to your library and they'll keep their skills, jobs, and traits.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No they won't.

ya they will.
  • Options
    > @luthienrising said:
    > MrMonty96 wrote: »
    >
    > Falynios wrote: »
    >
    > you can save them to your library and they'll keep their skills, jobs, and traits.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No they won't.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > They will keep skills and reward traits but not jobs, money, or inventory.

in my experience, the jobs do save as well.
  • Options
    Kathy090660Kathy090660 Posts: 813 Member
    If you delete you sims 4 folder and then start the game it will create a new sims 4 folder you can then put your old saves in there and delete the new one, so you will have your old hood back to save just the ones you want to your library in game. That's if you Don't want to keep all that are in your Library already. I do this to start over.
    newsims4siggg_zps62d6d1ba.png

A Rainbow is a promise of God