Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing with Autonomy off is so much easier on the blood pressure

Comments

• Options
    GenOrganaGenOrgana Posts: 6 New Member
    I always played with full autonomy but since parenthood I'm starting to rethink that decision. My adult sims developed an addiction to the childrens channel and now I have parents with a bored moddlet everytime I'm not watching them closely. It's quite annoying.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    My Autonomy turned itself on.

How aggressive is that?

I had a weird thing happen with a writer who would sit and write at his desk and listen to the stereo.

I had added another stereo in the dining room and he constantly was getting up and going into the dining room to listen to it.

I could not stop him doing it - then I noted the Autonomy was back on.

Autonomy on or off is irrelevant - the Sim was desperate to stop what he was doing to go and listen to a stereo in another room - when he had one right next to him.

WE ARE CLEARLY FIGHTING A WAR!

We must not let them push us around.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I do it on important occasions like weddings or if I want to grind skills and get something done.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I went to gameplay options and saw where it said autonomy off for selected sim, but not off period. I have that turned off, but I'm not sure if there is something I could be doing different.

1. My sim toddlers are able to escape out of their highchairs. Maybe I want them to stay there as a punishment. After a while they get out and they shouldn't be able to. They are able to nap there, so they shouldn't be able to get out at all.

2. Sim parents ect. take the toddlers out of the high chair and will even cancel out my wishes/commands and can't be stopped :s from getting them out even when I try to cancel that interaction. My sims wants override my commands and even cancels out my commands to do what they want and this is with free will turned off or at least for selected sim. Not sure if I'm not doing it right or what?

These two things made me so mad. :s I had to take the door off the playroom to get my sims to follow my commands and leave the toddlers alone in their highchairs. Even then if the toddlers wanted down they could get down. Toddlers need to remain stuck and get mad instead of being able to get down. If free will is turned off and I command something then that should override the sim's wishes. I can't play with life if the sims can do as they please.
  • Options
    Another advantage of turning autonomy off is the amount of time that you save.

Every real-time second playing TS4 is precious - 60 seconds of the game destroying your Simming is an hour lost in-game.

Turning off Autonomy - combined with the bear chair system (my idea) - is an elevated Simming experience beyond what could normally be achieved by the average Simmer.

It is like having an extra brain or something.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    This is the exact opposite of how I play the game. I spend most of my time watching Sims doing their own things & rarely control them by myself. For me a good autonomy system is extremely important for a Sims game.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    elelunicy wrote: »
    This is the exact opposite of how I play the game. I spend most of my time watching Sims doing their own things & rarely control them by myself. For me a good autonomy system is extremely important for a Sims game.

I agree with the bolded statement; however, when it destroys well laid out plans then it must be treated the same way as a highly aggressive dog in a household with babies/toddlers/young children.

I like having autonomy on for Sims to do stuff - however, the game does train-wreck too much for me with regard to toddlers - putting them to bed/feeding them, etc. Time is precious and I get fed up of trying to correct AI errors.

• Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    edited June 2017
    I just can't play with autonomoy off. It is soo boring. I don't like my life micromanaged so why would I want that for my sims? I find the funny things sims do on their own funny. If I turned autonomy off it would spoil the game for me if they didn't do anything but stand around looking at their hands, stretching or humming it would drive me insane. I think the sims keep me sane by doing the funny quirky things making me laugh that they do even if at times I am driven insane by their obsession with the computer or the wood working bench etc. If they cancel out an action of mine I punish them by making them do the unwanted activity chosen by me extra long mwaaahhhaaa hhhaaa. Seriously though everyone says sims have no personality, and if they are autonomatons then I agree they wouldn't have personality. If I control them to the inth degree then to me personally my own opinion whatever traits you give them wouldn't matter even less than it does now sometimes.
  • Options
    Without an autonomy hotkey the whole thing gets aggressive.

Some people go into Game Options and turn off the autonomy when feeding toddlers or putting them to bed etc.

I used to do it, but it becomes a hassle to do this. It is like "Why am I doing this?"

An autonomy hotkey would cut the aggressive nature of TS4 when it is most likely to be aggressive - like putting a muzzle on an aggressive dog when you take it for a walk.

348% of Simmers want an autonomy hotkey that they can use to toggle autonomy when doing things that the game can destroy - ie feeding toddlers or putting them to bed, etc - ie you want to read them to sleep and it turns into a disaster.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    348% of Simmers want an autonomy hotkey that they can use to toggle autonomy when doing things that the game can destroy - ie feeding toddlers or putting them to bed, etc - ie you want to read them to sleep and it turns into a disaster.

As discussed in your several other threads about high chairs, there are ways to handle the high chair that work pretty smoothly. But reading a toddler to sleep? That's a disaster for you? I usually play on full autonomy for the other sims and have the box checked for autonomy off only for the selected sim. I've never once had a problem putting a toddler to sleep or reading them to sleep...and that's including during several 7 toddler challenges. I click on the bed, select put or read toddler to sleep or if there are multiple toddlers in the house, then I select which one, and then the sim goes and gets the toddler and carries them up to the bed and puts or reads them to sleep. I've never once had that interrupted or turn disastrous. We must be playing different games, lol.
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    Before I even started my gameplay, I made sure to turn autonomy off because I had such a bloody hard time in TS3, but I tend to make it autonomy on for sims I'm not playing so if I get carried away with one of my sim, the other one doesn't starve to death (as I've learnt the hard way too)
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    JimG72 wrote: »

As discussed in your several other threads about high chairs, there are ways to handle the high chair that work pretty smoothly. But reading a toddler to sleep? That's a disaster for you? I usually play on full autonomy for the other sims and have the box checked for autonomy off only for the selected sim. I've never once had a problem putting a toddler to sleep or reading them to sleep...and that's including during several 7 toddler challenges. I click on the bed, select put or read toddler to sleep or if there are multiple toddlers in the house, then I select which one, and then the sim goes and gets the toddler and carries them up to the bed and puts or reads them to sleep. I've never once had that interrupted or turn disastrous. We must be playing different games, lol.

You are not running in full autonomy.
    :p

Full autonomy is one of the single most hostile and aggressive things that any of us will ever encounter in our lives.

We've had SimGurus declaring worldwide and internationally that they turn that rabid aggressor off - they muzzle it on sight. We have audio and video evidence of this.

The global support network is there for them as well.

You try reading an overtired toddler to sleep. They can actually arise from their little toddler bed and throw themselves on the floor next to it and pass out. They can actually interrupt being read to sleep - arise like a vampire and throw themselves onto the floor.

Why not just collapse in bed? What's with the I must dramatically arise, like a supreme rodent and throw myself on the floor.

Have you any idea how much Energy a second toddler is gaining when you have dual read them to sleep - two parents reading two toddlers to sleep - at the same time?

It takes ages for the collapsed toddler to get the hell up and back into bed. The other toddler is borderline halfway through sleeping.

There is a temptation to wake the other toddler up and try and match their Energy levels to have another go at it. In the meantime it's now like 4:30am and the parents were meant to be in bed like hours ago and now both of them are wandering off either to the toilet or to bed - perhaps to the fridge for some food.

Summoning the parents back to the toddlers bedroom and trying to resolve reading both those toddlers back to sleep can be a highly hostile situation.

Why is this important - because we all know if you do not read BOTH of those toddlers to sleep then at least one of them is going to wake up a few seconds later and have a highly aggressive nightmare and wake up both parents to have to go and read the highly vicious rodent back to sleep again.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I recently started playing a rich family where the father was a mafian and his son was actually a transgender. He didn't like it so he took him to a psychologist and then I sent the son to his mommy so she could hug him and tell him it is OK. Then I played just with the 2. I totally forgot about the father. He almost died of hunger. Oops.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    krista8626krista8626 Posts: 2,923 Member
    What's the fun in that? Lol
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I always play with it on. Way too boring for me otherwise :lol:
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I began playing with autonomy off but found it draining to keep an eye on everyone and constantly hitting pause.

Now I have autonomy on and the game's much more interesting. It's a shame autonomy wasn't more advanced.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Oh no! I think I might be being assimilated. Resistance is futile.
    Well, I think I'm going to try autonomy off for the selected sim at least.. I didn't even know you could do that.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Hadron1776Hadron1776 Posts: 330 Member
    348% of Simmers want an autonomy hotkey

63.7% of statistics are made up on the spot ;)
  • Options
    You are not running in full autonomy.
    :p

Full autonomy is one of the single most hostile and aggressive things that any of us will ever encounter in our lives.

We've had SimGurus declaring worldwide and internationally that they turn that rabid aggressor off - they muzzle it on sight. We have audio and video evidence of this.

The global support network is there for them as well.

You try reading an overtired toddler to sleep. They can actually arise from their little toddler bed and throw themselves on the floor next to it and pass out. They can actually interrupt being read to sleep - arise like a vampire and throw themselves onto the floor.

Why not just collapse in bed? What's with the I must dramatically arise, like a supreme rodent and throw myself on the floor.

Have you any idea how much Energy a second toddler is gaining when you have dual read them to sleep - two parents reading two toddlers to sleep - at the same time?

It takes ages for the collapsed toddler to get the plum up and back into bed. The other toddler is borderline halfway through sleeping.

There is a temptation to wake the other toddler up and try and match their Energy levels to have another go at it. In the meantime it's now like 4:30am and the parents were meant to be in bed like hours ago and now both of them are wandering off either to the toilet or to bed - perhaps to the fridge for some food.

Summoning the parents back to the toddlers bedroom and trying to resolve reading both those toddlers back to sleep can be a highly hostile situation.

Why is this important - because we all know if you do not read BOTH of those toddlers to sleep then at least one of them is going to wake up a few seconds later and have a highly aggressive nightmare and wake up both parents to have to go and read the highly vicious rodent back to sleep again.

Ummm, I see where the confusion lies. I never said I was running full autonomy...I expressly stated I check the box to turn off autonomy only for the selected sim. However, YOU weren't running on full autonomy either, lol. If you are directing the sims to do these things, then that's not autonomous. So why wouldn't you just check the box on game options that says to turn off autonomy only for the directed sim? The selected sim will just autonomously do things if you just leave them hanging around and don't queue up anything for them to do...but when you direct them to do something, it doesn't get overridden (except temporarily by the toddler grabby hand summon and the new magical dollhouse summoning power that toddlers were given, but you can delete those out of the queue). The result is that you can let them run autonomously or you can direct them or you can just direct them from time to time.....which is exactly what you were trying to do anyway, according to the above statements....and all these "crises" would have been averted, lol. The point being that you don't need a toggle or hotkey to turn autonomy on and off for a sim....it's basically already there with the setting to turn off autonomy only for the selected sim.

• Options
    Ummm, I see where the confusion lies. I never said I was running full autonomy...I expressly stated I check the box to turn off autonomy only for the selected sim. However, YOU weren't running on full autonomy either, lol. If you are directing the sims to do these things, then that's not autonomous. So why wouldn't you just check the box on game options that says to turn off autonomy only for the directed sim? The selected sim will just autonomously do things if you just leave them hanging around and don't queue up anything for them to do...but when you direct them to do something, it doesn't get overridden (except temporarily by the toddler grabby hand summon and the new magical dollhouse summoning power that toddlers were given, but you can delete those out of the queue). The result is that you can let them run autonomously or you can direct them or you can just direct them from time to time.....which is exactly what you were trying to do anyway, according to the above statements....and all these "crises" would have been averted, lol. The point being that you don't need a toggle or hotkey to turn autonomy on and off for a sim....it's basically already there with the setting to turn off autonomy only for the selected sim.

With full autonomy on you are still meant to control Sims and make them do things - they can't cope on their own (other than basic needs).

I was playing on full autonomy. My point is you have to control them to do things because then can autonomously do something else. Sometimes they want to go toilet or eat food at a critical time - like putting a toddler to bed, etc - they may suddenly decide to go and do something else.

That is the problem with full autonomy - a Sim can have a Needs bar half-way and in the yellow and they are prone to wander off to do what they want.

I could just use the Disable Autonomy for the Selected Sim option; however, surely that means the other parent Sim could suddenly decide to wander off and do their own thing - ie not attending to a toddler?

The selected parent will be on their best behaviour but the other one is highly likely to storm off.

I personally find it a hassle to have to go to Game Options to toggle autonomy and then go back again to change it again. I don't like the fact that we have to go into Game Options/Gameplay to alter this.

I want an autonomy hotkey.

I just want to be able to jab it on and off at a keypress to be able to Sim like a boss.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I always turned autonomy off in previous games but in TS4 I like it on. Also maybe I'm feeling lazy and don't want to click as much lol
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I turn it off for my selected sim but leave it on for everyone else because it makes me crazy when sims I'm not playing pee on the floor instead of just going to the toilet. (I'm not fast enough to get to everyone so Its actually more stressful to be out of autonomy for everyone)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @JimG72
    Thank you so much... not sure why I didn't try playing this way before. Autonomy off on selected sim. I was doing that last night and this morning some and it does really help in a larger household where I want to focus on one sim for awhile. I always feel kind of like a dolt when there was something in the game like this that I missed for so long.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    @JimG72
    Thank you so much... not sure why I didn't try playing this way before. Autonomy off on selected sim. I was doing that last night and this morning some and it does really help in a larger household where I want to focus on one sim for awhile. I always feel kind of like a dolt when there was something in the game like this that I missed for so long.

@Hermitgirl You're welcome! LOL, no worries...I'm not even sure how I started playing in that mode, probably by accident, haha. But yeah, makes it a lot easier to manage a larger household but still have autonomous actions....makes toddlers much easier to parent too...and sometimes I just won't send that sim any directions and I'll let them come up with autonomous actions for awhile.

• Options
    HOLD YOUR HORSES!

'Disable Autonomy for the Selected Sim' is just as bad.

Example:
    2 toddlers in 2 high chairs - they have just had a drink.
    I set up a Sim to read a toddler to sleep - it is the most tired of the 2 toddlers.
    The Sim picks the toddler up and puts the toddler down - it then proceeds to want to pick up the second toddler to assumingly 'Let them out' of the high chair.

I DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN AT ALL - EVER - NEVER, EVER!!!

How hard is it for anyone to make a computer game whereby if you say READ THE TODDLER TO SLEEP it carries that action out?

READ THE CHUFFING TODDLER TO SLEEP.

^this