Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop Suggestions

POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
edited June 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
Sorry for the double post - but my first post was moved to "Off Topic?" Apparently asking a question about Laptops to play the Sims 4 is not considered Sims related? Anyway - I am currently looking at buying a laptop to run the Sims.

These five laptop are currently in my top five if anyone would like to weigh in. I am trying to decide if the bigger screen is worth it - but if any are unsuitable please let me know! I am especially curious as to the difference between the data carrier being the SSD vs the HDD.

If anyone has any suggestions that I haven't considered please let me know. I am based in Switzerland and my budget is a max 1500 francs including delivery costs.
YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

Post edited by POLLYANNA2 on

Comments

• Options
    DockIeeDockIee Posts: 23 Member
    A few points i'd make when it comes to the 5 you have listed

- The GTX 1060 mobile will be able to squeeze out a bit more in terms of performance, but the 1050Ti is good too.
    - They all have the same CPU. Just don't think about the max clock speed too much as I wouldn't oc a laptop. Takes a toll on the already limited cooling.
    - Memory is more than enough, all have 16gb.
    - The Acer VX 15 has the option to upgrade to 32gb RAM if needed for some reason.
    - SSD is always faster but if you have Windows installed on it (which should always be the case) It's gonna fit a couple of games max. and thus shouldn't be a huge influence. A 7200rpm HDD reads data fast enough to not cause frustration with loading screens (I assume the laptops have Sata III)
    - The most expensive HP Omen has a bigger battery if that makes any difference, while the Acer VX 15 has the worst battery of them all.
    - Acers have SD card readers. The HP Omens have no mention of one.
    - The Acer VX 15 apparently has Windows installed on the HDD which I don't understand.

TL;DR
    The ones with a 17.30" screen are both marginally better in terms of performance compared to the other three and have some small tweaks like faster USB ports, but cost a lot more. The Acer VX 15 in my opinion is not worth it because of the bad battery and using HDD as the main boot device (with Windows on it) while also being same price as the cheapest Omen.

Personally I would go with the cheapest HP Omen with a smaller screen (1299.-), because to me having a bigger screen with an extra 3.1 USB port and a marginally better GPU is not worth 400€. I also don't see any need for the SD card reader as you can pick an external one up for like 10$.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2017
    You have two threads going on this issue which makes it hard for people to help when we have to jump back and forth. I suspect EA will move this thread to off topic too like the other one. EA does not see asking for a computer as a tech question. We who help in tech don't agree with them but it is what it is.

Since in your other thread you discussed playing sims 3 and 4. If you have a 250 gb ssd plus a 1tb . You will only be able to add the sims 3 to that ssd. You will have to custom install all the rest of your games on the 1tb hdd hard drive. The sims 3 loads so much quicker on SSD but the sims 4 does not benefit from ssd. Even 250 gb ssd is small if you play the sims 3 with allot of CC. You will run out of hard drive space quickly. You need to leave at least 50 gb hard drive space free. Really you only have 200 gb ssd to run windows and the sims 3 on SSD. If your a person that plays with allot of cc you should have a 500 gb ssd.
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Personally ill use those 1700 dollars on a custom laptop on cyber but thats just me, omen is overpriced imo(:
  • Options
    POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks for your help everyone - I have managed to find a laptop that has everything I want :) Thanks for all your help
    YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
    ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
    https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

• Options
    DaniliciousDanilicious Posts: 4 New Member
    hi, i'm sorry for posting here but for some reason i cannot make my own discussion.

anyways, i am currently looking for a new laptop as well. i have the sims 4 base game and all three current expansion packs. right now, i am looking at this laptop (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J42JPL4/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=blaptopsw-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01J42JPL4&linkId=359e4663b7b89397713b96b64112f96c). i am aware that this isn't the best laptop, but i am a high school student and can't afford too much.

i'd really appreciate any suggestions in this price range (around $300), or any info about whether or not this is a good choice or not. thank you so much !
  • Options
    hi, i'm sorry for posting here but for some reason i cannot make my own discussion.

anyways, i am currently looking for a new laptop as well. i have the sims 4 base game and all three current expansion packs. right now, i am looking at this laptop (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J42JPL4/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=blaptopsw-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01J42JPL4&linkId=359e4663b7b89397713b96b64112f96c). i am aware that this isn't the best laptop, but i am a high school student and can't afford too much.

i'd really appreciate any suggestions in this price range (around $300), or any info about whether or not this is a good choice or not. thank you so much !

Sorry but this laptop does not meet requirements to run the game. You will not find any computer in the $300 price range to run this game. $800 and up average. I suggest saving your money
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

are you absolutely sure? my current laptop was no where near that expensive and runs the games just fine. i have no way to save anymore money at this time.
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Yes she and i am sure, even though you might be able to play it on a 300dollar laptop it will not last longer than a few months as you are damaging your laptop with heavy gaming when its only suited for browsing or watching youtube clips. Youll be running here in 2 months as the game will start to stutter at that point.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @phoebebebe13

are you absolutely sure? my current laptop was no where near that expensive and runs the games just fine. i have no way to save anymore money at this time.

Positive. Laptops can not be upgraded. You are stuck with the specs you buy. Just because you have a laptop that can run the game right now does not mean the game will be able to run on the laptop you have in the future. The game is not complete. The laptop specs you posted do not meet requirements to run the game. The game's requirements when complete are a mid range gaming desktop. You need a higher end gaming laptop to equal the desktop requirements. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware
  • Options
    hmm, what about a laptop around the $400-$500 range ?

i've had my current laptop for three years now, and it has run both sims 3 and 4. the only reason i cannot buy the same one is that my parents are not helping me this time.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    hmm, what about a laptop around the $400-$500 range ?

i've had my current laptop for three years now, and it has run both sims 3 and 4. the only reason i cannot buy the same one is that my parents are not helping me this time.

You will not find a laptop even in the $500 range. The sims 3 and 4 are programed differently. This is the cheapest and the lowest laptop specs I would go. The sims 4 is processor heavy. It's not a complete game. You need a gaming laptop to survive this game $779 no tax outside CA, TN and NJ https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154594&cm_re=msi_960m-_-34-154-594-_-Product
  • Options
    what exactly are the needed specs ? i don't have access to them at the moment.
  • Options
    what exactly are the needed specs ? i don't have access to them at the moment.

The game "Complete" as it adds more and more requires an intel i5 quad core processor on desktop or better so you need an i7 quad core on laptop. I7 on laptop will end in HQ or MQ. Sims 4 is processor heavy

The game requires an Nvidia GTX 650 video card or better on desktop. You would need an Nvidia GTX 960m , GTX 970m , GTX 1050 ti, GTX 1060 on laptop to equal a desktop card.

8gb computer ram

at least 500 gb hard drive space or more

windows 64 bit.
  • Options
    thewaif99thewaif99 Posts: 36 Member
    I was asked to move my previous post to this thread. I am looking for a new laptop. I just purchased a Dell "gaming" laptop but it wont run The Sims 4. I understand that I should have a quad core processor and this is only a dual core processor. I live in the US. I would like to spend $1200 but no more than $1500.

I would like advice on this one;
    Omen 8GB/1TB 15.6 Laptop with Total Defense Security
    Defense Security

Features

Features:

Product overview
    • Gear up for glory: Seriously powerful NVIDIA® GTX™ graphics and a Quad-core Intel® Core™
    processor equip you for any challenge.
    • Immersed in the competition: Sense every pulse-pounding moment with a 1080p IPS(39)
    display and Audio by Bang and Olufsen.
    • Designed for domination: Command the battlefield with a performance optimized design and
    dragon red backlit keyboard.

Key specifications
    • Operating system: Windows 10 Home(1)
    • Processor: 7th generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ processor(2b)
    • Display: 15.6 inch diagonal Full HD(39) IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
    • Memory: 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
    • Hard drive: 1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive(4b)
    • Solid-State drive: 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD(15)
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated) with up to 8134 MB total
    graphics memory(13)
    • Battery life: Up to 10 hours and 30 minutes (mixed usage)(70)
    • Audio: Bang & Olufsen with dual speakers
    • Wireless: 2x2 802.11ac WLAN(19a) and Bluetooth®(26)
    • Webcam: Front-facing HP Wide Vision HD Webcam with integrated dual array
    digital microphones(89)
    • Product weight: 5.19 lb(76)
    • Keyboard: Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
    Product features
    • Windows 10 Home: Do great things confidently with the familiar feel of Windows - only better.(1)
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti: Take on the latest games in 1080p with fast, smooth gameplay.
    • Full HD IPS display: Enjoy vibrant, crystal-clear images with 178° wide-viewing angles.(39)
    • 7th generation Intel® Core i7 processor: Powerful performance easily keeps up with all your
    multitasking demands and enables new ways to interact with your PC.
    • PCIe SSD storage: PCIe solid state storage with up to 17x faster performance than a traditional
    notebook hard drive.(58)
    • Solid-State Drive: Load your apps fast with a quick and efficient Solid-State Drive.
    • Hard drive storage: Grow your digital collections and still have room left over.
    • DDR4 RAM: With its higher bandwidth, everything from multi-tasking to playing games gets a
    performance boost.(4a)
    • HP Wide Vision HD Camera: 88-degree, wide-angle field of view for video chats with the whole
    family.(89)
    • An exceptionally rich audio experience: State-of-the-art Audio by Bang & Olufsen brings
    entertainment to life with sound you can feel. Awaken your senses with collaborative,
    custom-tuned sound.
    • HP Audio Boost: Smart amplification technology gives you loud, clear, and dynamic sound.
    • Rock-solid connections: With the latest 802.11 a/c (2x2) WLAN adapter and Bluetooth® 4.2, all
    your connections are rock solid.(19)(26)
    • Backlit keyboard with integrated numeric pad: Keep going comfortably even in darker
    environments.
    • Liberating battery life: Take on the day without worrying about recharging.
    • HP Fast Charge: Go from 0 to 90% charge in approximately 90 minutes.(74)
    • One year of free cloud storage: Get 25GB of free online storage for one year with Dropbox.(22)
    • McAfee®LiveSafe™: Protect your operating systems with a free 30-day McAfee LiveSafe
    trial.(8)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @thewaif99 go custom you can get a much better laptop with certified hardware. Cyberpower charges no tax outside CA. . Is the sims 4 the only game you play?

This is no tax outside CA. The price is 1224. Has much better and more hardware than the HP omen. This comes with a GTX 1060 card. A 500 gb ssd hard drive plus a 1tb hdd hard drive. New i7 skylake quad core processor , 16 gb computer ram This link will only last a short time. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1JRC10
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    HanananHananan Posts: 11 New Member
    Hi :)

Need a new laptop (no room for a desktop!) and I'm considering the below. Will I be able to run on high/ ultra with this? I'm in the UK if it helps and the laptop is a Medion.

Screen size 17.3in
    Processor manufacturer Intel
    Processor Model Intel Core i7
    Processor Number 7500U
    RAM Memory 16GB
    Storage 256GB
    Operating System Windows 10
    Optical Drive DVD-RW
    Touchscreen Non Touch
    Graphics GeForce GTX 950M
    Warranty 1 year warranty
    Display and Keyboard
    Screen size 17.3in
    Touchscreen Non Touch
    Convertible Device
    Processor
    Processor Number 7500U
    Clock Speed 2.7GHz
    Memory
    RAM Memory 16GB
    Storage
    Hard drive capacity 1.5TB
    SSD Capacity 256GB
    Graphics
    Graphic Type Dedicated
    Graphics Manufacturer NVIDIA
    Graphics card GeForce GTX 950M
    Graphics Memory 4GB
    Media
    Optical Drive DVD-RW
    Operating system
  • Options
    Hananan wrote: »
    Hi :)

Need a new laptop (no room for a desktop!) and I'm considering the below. Will I be able to run on high/ ultra with this? I'm in the UK if it helps and the laptop is a Medion.

Screen size 17.3in
    Processor manufacturer Intel
    Processor Number 7500U
    RAM Memory 16GB
    Storage 256GB
    Optical Drive DVD-RW
    Touchscreen Non Touch
    Graphics GeForce GTX 950M
    Warranty 1 year warranty
    Display and Keyboard
    Screen size 17.3in
    Touchscreen Non Touch
    Convertible Device
    Processor
    Processor Number 7500U
    Clock Speed 2.7GHz
    Memory
    RAM Memory 16GB
    Storage
    Hard drive capacity 1.5TB
    SSD Capacity 256GB
    Graphics
    Graphic Type Dedicated
    Graphics Manufacturer NVIDIA
    Graphics card GeForce GTX 950M
    Graphics Memory 4GB
    Media
    Optical Drive DVD-RW
    Operating system

You need a GTX 960m or above . Also that processor is only a dual core . You need an i7 quad core processor. You need something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-7QF-1670UK-Gaming-Laptop-Black/dp/B01NAP5GO3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497882358&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx+960m+laptop

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/msi-leopard-pro-gp62-7qf-15-6-gaming-laptop-black-10160774-pdt.html
  • Options
    Brilliant, thanks so much! the MSI Leopard Pro seems like a winner but it says it only has an i5 processor not the i7 like the other MSI you posted, would the i7 run better, is it worth the extra cost?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Brilliant, thanks so much! the MSI Leopard Pro seems like a winner but it says it only has an i5 processor not the i7 like the other MSI you posted, would the i7 run better, is it worth the extra cost?

Oops my mistake I thought the one at PC world also had the i7. Yes the one at amazon would be better .this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-7QF-1670UK-Gaming-Laptop-Black/dp/B01NAP5GO3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497882358&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx+960m+laptop You really need that i7 quad core . PC world may charge you more for the same laptop that is on Amazon UK . I just checked PC world does not have the i7 option.

The 900 series Nvidia laptop cards are hard to find now since we are now 1000 series but that would be more money.
  • Options
    Trash_Trash_ Posts: 5 New Member
    I don-t know how to start a thread in this forum, can someone explain this to me?
    Also, my sims in The sims 4 take ages to do things, when they finish doing something they stand for ages before starting the next task. It's not the mods, I've tried without any mods and it's the exact same. My graphic card drivers are also up to date and lowering the graphics have no impact either.
    This are my computer details:
    GE 70 2PE Apache Pro
    Nvidia GTX860M
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Trash_ wrote: »
    I don-t know how to start a thread in this forum, can someone explain this to me?
    Also, my sims in The sims 4 take ages to do things, when they finish doing something they stand for ages before starting the next task. It's not the mods, I've tried without any mods and it's the exact same. My graphic card drivers are also up to date and lowering the graphics have no impact either.
    This are my computer details:
    GE 70 2PE Apache Pro
    Nvidia GTX860M

Try playing the game on Speed 2 and don't play it on Speed 3 cuz that's when the sims become a bit unresponsive.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > Hananan wrote: »
    >
    > Brilliant, thanks so much! the MSI Leopard Pro seems like a winner but it says it only has an i5 processor not the i7 like the other MSI you posted, would the i7 run better, is it worth the extra cost?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Oops my mistake I thought the one at PC world also had the i7. Yes the one at amazon would be better .this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-7QF-1670UK-Gaming-Laptop-Black/dp/B01NAP5GO3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497882358&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx+960m+laptop You really need that i7 quad core . PC world may charge you more for the same laptop that is on Amazon UK . I just checked PC world does not have the i7 option.
    >
    > The 900 series Nvidia laptop cards are hard to find now since we are now 1000 series but that would be more money.

You're a total star, thank you so much for your help. I'm going with the MSI GP62 7RD (Leopard) 011UK 15.6 Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) - (Kabylake Core i7-7700HQ, 8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1050, Windows 10) one from amazon. It seems like a pretty good deal. It will literally just be running the Sims 4 and not really doing anything else, it wont even be running Office! :dizzy:

Again, huge huge huge thank you!!
  • Options
    I just pulled the trigger and bought it.. eep! It will be here tomorrow. I'm currently running the game on a laptop I bought in 2007 and it can take 30 mins to load after travelling so you end up rage quitting after about an hour of game play. If i get throughCAS it's a good day! I've played the sims since the Sims 1 first came out and I've never invested in a system that can run it properly. To be honest, I'm surprised the game even loaded on my current 10 year old machine!

I'll be getting this set up tomorrow evening so I'll report back on performance. I run the game with everything on the lowest settings at the moment so it's going to be quite the game changer for me.

Cannot thank you enough for your advice and help finding a machine, I'm so excited!
  • Options
    I just pulled the trigger and bought it.. eep! It will be here tomorrow. I'm currently running the game on a laptop I bought in 2007 and it can take 30 mins to load after travelling so you end up rage quitting after about an hour of game play. If i get throughCAS it's a good day! I've played the sims since the Sims 1 first came out and I've never invested in a system that can run it properly. To be honest, I'm surprised the game even loaded on my current 10 year old machine!

I'll be getting this set up tomorrow evening so I'll report back on performance. I run the game with everything on the lowest settings at the moment so it's going to be quite the game changer for me.

Cannot thank you enough for your advice and help finding a machine, I'm so excited!

Your very welcome , Two things. That laptop has two hard drives. one is ssd for booting windows quicker . The ssd is small you can't game on it. You will have to redirect the game to install on the second hard drive. User @Dekay plays with similar specs to this laptop you bought. If you need help setting up or have any problems with the game Dekay can help you

Laptops have two video cards. You need to make sure the game is using Nvidia not intel http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd/p1

• Options
    Ok good to know, so when origin installs I need to install it on the one that isnt ssd? will it be obvious which is which?