Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    @cainedbad - I'm going to paste in a response I just gave to a player earlier who was having the same problem going to Uni. It's all the same issue, just substitute the name of the world your sim is really trying to travel to instead of Uni World when reading this.
    igazor wrote: »
    The travel transitions in TS3, and to/from Uni World counts among these, are jarring to the game. This is unfortunately a common occurrence among players. Without mods, the best you can do is try again just after a fresh loadup of the game, maybe with every possible graphics setting in Game Options turned down to the bare ugly minimum temporarily, to reduce stress on the game (of course switch them back and save as/reload after arrival if this works). But then you might face the same issue upon trying to return home after the term is over.

Is this a previously played instance of Uni World within that ongoing game that you are trying to arrive into? You might try pulling the Sims University nhd file out of the saved game folder, in your TS3 user game folder in Documents, thus forcing the game to generate a new one on the next attempt to enroll/travel to Uni. The downside here is that everything will be the way it was the first time you saw Uni World, if you had played there within this save prior, with all of the inactive sims exactly as they were the first time they were generated and any changes to the world itself you may have made will be gone.

If not averse to using mods, many find that NRaas Traveler working together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap help smooth out these transitions so that they work much more reliably and usually none of the above steps are necessary.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Can someone PLEASE help me!? Instead of ignoring me, can someone just tell me they don't know a solution? Sorry for sounding rude but I'm extremely frustrated, and I just tried to contact EA again and they still won't call me/chat with me.
    I am sorry that you appear to have been ignored up there. I did respond to your original posts back on March 5 and a bit after, but was apparently no help back then.

I realize that you are frustrated, but please understand that this is a community forum. We are your fellow players here, helping others out as best we can. None of us work for EA except for the tech guru who passes through occasionally.

Since reinstalling Origin itself did not do any good (this is where we left things, right?), and you are having trouble getting in contact with EA Support directly, I suggest that you repost the issue in its entirety together with what you have already tried and info about how and by what method you have attempted contact with Customer Support but cannot connect with them, on the EA Answers HQ board for TS3.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/bd-p/the-sims-3
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    uossiiuossii Posts: 20 New Member
    Oh, thank you. You are such a saint.

This isn't so much an issue as how to fix my own stupidity. I bought the Sims 3 pack that came with Late Night, the base game, and the futuristic something-or-other stuff pack. When I was much younger and bought this game, my mother didn't approve of the Late Night bikinis and bars. So, naturally, I threw it away as a young naïve child. Years later, on a new computer with Origin, I noticed it recognized my game as having been downloaded from that bundle. I was wondering if there would be some magical way for me to get the Late Night expansion. I've tried almost everything I can think of and there seems no way to get the pack. Help?
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    uossii wrote: »
    Oh, thank you. You are such a saint.

This isn't so much an issue as how to fix my own plum. I bought the Sims 3 pack that came with Late Night, the base game, and the futuristic something-or-other stuff pack. When I was much younger and bought this game, my mother didn't approve of the Late Night bikinis and bars. So, naturally, I threw it away as a young naïve child. Years later, on a new computer with Origin, I noticed it recognized my game as having been downloaded from that bundle. I was wondering if there would be some magical way for me to get the Late Night expansion. I've tried almost everything I can think of and there seems no way to get the pack. Help?

If LN is showing up in your origin account than it was registered and you will have a copy of LN for download. With the pack even if disc it would not let you play without origin. Did you register your discs on origin? If not and you don't have the codes to register, you would have to re-buy LN
  • Options
    @uossii - If LN is not currently registered to you and you have some time to spend on this, you might also try contacting EA Customer Support and explain what happened. Not sure they will be able to do anything more than suggest the repurchase of LN through Origin, but you may luck out if you happen to get a sympathetic support agent assigned. Look for the link on how to connect under the HELP menu below these forum pages (when viewing in full-sized browser windows).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    K4siesK4sies Posts: 267 Member
    As far as I know I am still considered a new member so I might as well post my issue here:

Yesterday I finally installed Sims3 again, because I kinda missed it after playing Sims 2 and Sims 4. So today I finally started the game. Loading was faster than I remembered. However the first time the game crashed some minutes after selecting a world. I thought nothing about that and started the game again. This time I could even create a Sim - for about 10 Minutes until the game crashed again (3 more times after that). So 15 Minutes ago I tried it a final time. This time I could finally select cloth only for the outfit not to change and the interface to turn black for some seconds. After that it crashed again.

Some more information:

I have installed Sims 3 and the following addons:

Seasons, Supernatural, Late Night, Ambitions, Diesel stuff, 70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff and Town Life Stuff.
    No CC or mods or Storeitems installed.

Some stuff about my computer:

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @3.60 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    Grafics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX960
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    As far as I know I am still considered a new member so I might as well post my issue here:

Yesterday I finally installed Sims3 again, because I kinda missed it after playing Sims 2 and Sims 4. So today I finally started the game. Loading was faster than I remembered. However the first time the game crashed some minutes after selecting a world. I thought nothing about that and started the game again. This time I could even create a Sim - for about 10 Minutes until the game crashed again (3 more times after that). So 15 Minutes ago I tried it a final time. This time I could finally select cloth only for the outfit not to change and the interface to turn black for some seconds. After that it crashed again.

Some more information:

I have installed Sims 3 and the following addons:

Seasons, Supernatural, Late Night, Ambitions, Diesel stuff, 70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff and Town Life Stuff.
    No CC or mods or Storeitems installed.

Some stuff about my computer:

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @3.60 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    Grafics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX960
    Hi there. Your specs sound fine, provided you have sufficient drive space free. You are probably suffering from the reverse of inadequate hardware. Unlike more modern games, TS3 does not have a built in frame rate limiter (even TS4 has one, this wouldn't have been relevant for TS2). The more modern, powerful graphics cards like yours will tend to run wild if their frame rates are not limited by an external tool such as the Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector. Uncapped frame rates are the equivalent of digital noise and can cause graphics glitches, lag, freezing, crashes, and can even ultimately damage your card and system board. Have you taken the steps required to limit fps for TS3 and checked in-game to see what kind of frame rates you are actually getting?

It's ctrl+shift+C to bring up the cheats console, fps on (enter) to check. As you play and move the game camera around, the displayed value should never rise far above the refresh rate of your monitor. If it's a 60 Hz, monitor, it would be 60 fps. To make the display go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    K4siesK4sies Posts: 267 Member
    First of all - thanks for the reply. I havent taken the steps to limit my fps and when I got into the game and looked for the fps it showed literally numbers running wild from 200 to 900. It was crazy. I used to play only with a laptop - never had any trouble there so I just guessed 'cause the computer is better the game should run fine.

I changed Vsync to adaptive now. The game runs in 60fps. If I run into other troubles or the game still crashes I'm coming back to you. Thank you so much! You're a true lifesaver.
  • Options
    MajorMarlinMajorMarlin Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks to igazor in helping me find this spot, I had a two rather small questions.

1. I bought a copy of the disc version of roaring heights on amazon and later found out they only made these in European format, will it work with my sims 3? I'm in the USA. If not I've already started the return through amazon just in case it doesn't work when it gets here

2. If I go to buy the world through the sims 3 store do I need origin to do it? I have all discs and would rather avoid origin, I just like being able to throw in a disc and go no other programs or internet connections needed (guess I'm getting old and just like the old ways haha)

Thanks everyone this site is always so helpful
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Thanks to igazor in helping me find this spot, I had a two rather small questions.

1. I bought a copy of the disc version of roaring heights on amazon and later found out they only made these in European format, will it work with my sims 3? I'm in the USA. If not I've already started the return through amazon just in case it doesn't work when it gets here

2. If I go to buy the world through the sims 3 store do I need origin to do it? I have all discs and would rather avoid origin, I just like being able to throw in a disc and go no other programs or internet connections needed (guess I'm getting old and just like the old ways haha)

Thanks everyone this site is always so helpful

You should be able to register your disc code ( 16 digits) on the sims 3 web I would think. Have you tried? All worlds are downloaded from the store. If that does not work if you give EA proof of purchase they might give you a download version.

European code probably won't work on a USA computer.
  • Options
    Regardless of how it's done though, as I said earlier if Origin must be involved while passing the code through to get to the one needed on the TS3 site, it can be the Origin.com website. It doesn't have to be the application. The website won't touch your installation, it can't.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    MajorMarlinMajorMarlin Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="igazor;c-15762083"]Regardless of how it's done though, as I said earlier if Origin must be involved while passing the code through to get to the one needed on the TS3 site, it can be the Origin.com website. It doesn't have to be the application. The website won't touch your installation, it can't.[/quote]

Ahhh i understand now, sorry it didn't sink in till now.
  • Options
    IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member
    Hi everyone.
    First of all, I'm really bad at tech; It's confusing to me and I get nervous that I'm doing stuff wrong, so I apologize if this sounds confusing or I use terms wrong. I've just recently learned that the Sims 3 can burn out your graphics card(?) and overheat your computer by letting it run harder than it needs to. After learning this, I checked my FPS in-game and found it stands at about 170 when paused and 171-287 while playing. Of course, I freaked out (I could hear my laptop whirring, and it felt like an oven) and shut off Sims 3 ASAP. I tried MATY's 3booter and FPS limiter, but that didn't work, so I deleted those two things and I tried the original manual FPS limiter for FSX, but that didn't work either. My laptop ran Seasons + Pets + Generations but I took Seasons and Generations off because they were too much for my laptop (it's not a gaming computer.) I don't really have lag or crashing, but Build mode and Buy mode are both exceptions. CAS has gotten better for me, but I have no idea why (I have a few Nraas mods I've been messing with, so they might have helped.) I couldn't find any solution that would work, and I obviously started getting desperate, so I installed Rivatuner and set the TS3.exe to have a 30 FPS limit. I was really hoping it would work, but it didn't, and I don't know what to do now. I don't have the Vsync option on my Intel integrated card. Any help is near worshiped.
    Origin ID: graple2001
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • Options
    @IgneousGelding - You have an Intel integrated graphics chip only? Or do you have dual graphics with Intel plus another card. It's very rare for Intel integrated chips to even be able to produce wild fps rates that high, usually it's the newer and more powerful dedicated Nvidia and AMD cards that do that.

There should be a file in your TS3 user game folder in Documents called DeviceConfig.log (if you have file name extensions disabled in your operating system, it might appear as just DeviceConfig). Open that in a text editor like Notepad if you could please, and paste the first 40 or so lines into a response here. You can stop when it gets to the long lists of game options, that's not the part we need to see.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your quick response. It means a lot to me. Yes, it's only the Intel integrated graphics chip. I actually am able to run Seasons + Generations + Pets (including CC and mods NRaas Overwatch + Mover + Story Progression) without much lag or any crashing, but now that I'm aware my laptop is practically burning itself I'm too nervous to overload it. My last laptop wasn't as good and had a problem with Sims 4, and I'd hate to lose this newer one to something as stupid as a nonexistent FPS cap when it really isn't the device which is at fault. I have seen the FPS go down to 70-80 for s p l i t-seconds, but it's mainly 275+, and it scares all life out of me.

This is the stuff in DeviceConfig:

=== Application info ===
    Name: Sims3
    Version:
    Build: Release
    === Rating info ===
    GPU: 1 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2400 Threading: 3
    Adjusted CPU: 2800 RAM: 6010 Adjusted RAM: 5498 Cores: 2
    === Machine info ===
    OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
    OS prod type: 0
    OS major ver: 6
    OS minor ver: 2
    OS SP major ver: 0
    OS SP minor ver: 0
    OS is 64Bit: 1
    CPU: GenuineIntel
    Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
    Family: 6
    Model: 14
    Cores: 2
    HT: 1
    x64: 0
    Memory: 6010MB
    Free memory: 2308MB
    User: WolficHumor
    Computer: LAPTOP-C59EEJGD
    === Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
    Name (database): Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
    Vendor: Intel
    Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 1916, Board: 100c1025, Chipset: 0007
    Driver: igdumdim32.dll, Version: 21.20.16.4534, GUID: D7B78E66-5A56-11CF-2362-1C30BCC2D835
    Driver version: 4534
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Texture memory: 3136MB
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • Options
    @igazor I apologize, I never tagged you.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Still interesting that an HD 520 would behave that way.

Going back a step to where you were trying RivaTuner Stats Server (RTSS) to lock in the fps. It doesn't have to be at 30, it should be at the refresh rate of your monitor. For your laptop, that would be 60 Hz, so 60 fps.

-- If you are playing in windowed mode, try full screen
    -- The correct executable has to be limited in RTSS. That would be TS3.exe for Patch 1.69, but TS3w.exe (with the "w") for 1.67 and below. Or, some have had better results using a global profile and limiting the fps across the board.

-- What are you using to check on the actual fps rates given in game? If it's not the game's built in fps display cheat, are you certain that it's not reporting things like 17.1 and 28.7 as opposed to 171 through 287, which is pretty much how I would expect that chip to behave and especially since the game isn't distorting or crashing on you throughout?

I would also want to know what in the world is using up 3.7 GB of RAM on you before the game even starts up. You don't have enough RAM left to run the game properly -- is this with lots of browser windows open and other things going on?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I'll definitely try switching the FPS in Rivatuner to 60 (possibly setting that globally.) I have been playing in Windowed mode, but that's only to check my Task Manager to see what my game is doing across my device. I normally play in fullscreen and I believe I originally checked my FPS (I use the games built-in cheat) while in fullscreen (100% certain those are the correct numbers, I've been back and forth checking them constantly since learning about the FPS issue.) I do, on occasion, have browser windows open, but I have checked to see if having them all closed makes a difference, and it hasn't. I have 1.6.9 and did cap TS3.exe, but that didn't work. I have no idea what could be taking up all that space. I make sure to have as little on as possible while playing games as I am paranoid of wearing out my laptop. You know, that might be Google Chrome. Should I kick Google Chrome out of background processes, or would that just mess up Chrome? I'm sorry if I'm asking really, really stupid questions. This is the first time I've ever had to dive in to my laptop like this.
  • Options
    @igazor I have just been notified that I have an insane amount of background programs open that are using up my ram. I am currently installing a new antivirus software and will be scanning my computer to check for issues. I'll get back to you once the scan is complete.
  • Options
    @igazor The scan's done, a few minor security issues were squashed but nothing that would really affect my RAM. Have no idea why so many things are running, but it might just be normal for my laptop? I might just have too much installed and all of it is constantly running in the background.

That being said, I tried what you suggested and switched my global FPS cap on Rivatuner to 60 FPS, started Sims 3, and watched my FPS numbers with the built-in Sims 3 cheat as I switched between windowed mode and fullscreen (no browser tabs open). The only difference was that now instead of the FPS being in the 275-340 range, it was in the 340-480 range, with one spike down to 80 and then back up to the hundreds. I have absolutely no idea what to do. I'm still not having any lagging or crashing, and my load times are pretty normal for what is expected for this game.
  • Options
    @igazor OKAY, first off, I am so sorry for spamming you, but this is important. I figured it out! AHahA! I didn't know you had to turn on Rivatuner before you started playing! I really should've though, being as that I had to do that with the other FPS limiters I tried (I'm horribly not tech-savvy, but I'm learning, I suppose.) I'm so happy. You have no idea how relieved I am that this is fixed. It stayed at 59-60 the entire time! Oh my god, I'm ecstatic. Thank you so much for your help. You're a saint among simmers, my friend. I also have to thank you for Rivatuner, being as that I had read through some of your posts the past two days and stumbled across one where you suggested it. I'm going to go lay down.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @IgneousGelding - Glad that's all it was. Riva can be set to startup with Windows in its options settings so we shouldn't have to start it up manually each time but I've had that fail to happen more than once so I always check to make sure it's running.

Back on the huge RAM usage before the game is even started up, no that is not normal. Win 10 in particular will reserve a ton of RAM for what it predicts will be near future use but it doesn't actually use anywhere near that much and lets it go if its needed for something else. Take a look at your Task Manager, the Processes tab when you get a chance, sort by the RAM column (click on the column heading) and see if you can figure out what's using all that memory. If you have twenty Google Chrome processes running and some of them are running away with resources on you, for example, that could be it.

I'm not going to bother with the sainthood application because, for reasons that are not on-topic for this forum, am pretty sure it won't get much serious consideration. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor Will do. I'm going to have a family member who is more comfortable with computers than I am take a look at my Task Manager and help me clean it up. I've been going through and deleting a bunch of Chrome that's for some odd reason running in the background, and it did clear up a small percent. Wish I could delete Cortana as well, bahaha.

Lol, suit yourself. :D Thank you again!
  • Options
    SickSadWorldSickSadWorld Posts: 6 New Member
    Hello!

Is there a way to determine what expansion packs are being used in a given game? I have several packs and several saved games and, since I didn't think to write down which expansions I was using with each, I've lost track. It's not a serious issue, but it is frustrating to have parts of my Sims or their households disappear because I activated the wrong expansion(s) when I started the game.

I hope someone here has some advice - I've tried googling this and mostly get results about installing the expansion packs, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @SickSadWorld - Ugh no, I'm afraid not. This entire pack selector thing is new to EA, they rolled it out with the Origin (for Windows) only patch just over a year ago and didn't think through things like that very well. There is a mod for earlier patches of the game that actually remembers which packs were used and stores that info in the saved games so the player doesn't have to keep track, but that won't work on Patch 1.69 where the Launcher has to make the determination before the saved game to load up is even selected.

This isn't the solution you are looking for, but if your computer can handle running with all of the EP/SPs you have, you could just select them all when you aren't sure which ones were in use prior. It should never be harmful, again if your system can handle it, to load up more packs than you really needed to.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top