Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Challenge Blog: The Bunker - Legendary Legacy

Comments

• Options
    AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    edited April 2017
    The triplets became Very Cute Toddlers!! I randomised their trait, and changed their clothes, but not their hair or anything else. Here they are!!!!

Lewis Legend (our heir), who is angelic:
    NUllHBd.png

Hugh Legend, who is inquisitive:
    8BCGvfd.png

Dwayne Legend, who is a charmer:
    txiAxFK.png

Aren't they cute? Now I have to read how to actually deal with toddlers in the sims because I never did it before. Gonna be a plunge in the deep with triplets as my first practice!!
  • Options
    soccer_emmysoccer_emmy Posts: 114 Member
    So cute!
  • Options
    Arghh! I had major issues with my computer, and I needed to reinstall it. Only to remember far too late that I hadn't backed up my sims saves. A well, I had only reached 1 generator (the triplets being kids) so its not a 'huge' loss, but still.... Anyway, with both the building and Lawrence being uploaded in the gallery I can start again with the same sim and the same basic building! That means I will spawn him a new spouse, and then I hope I won't get triplets this time.... 3rd time should do it right? As soon as I have more news (screenshots) I will let you all know. I also emptied out the google doc for this fresh start!
  • Options
    Lawrence's new spouse has arrived, Tia Poole (soon to be Tia Legend??)

Screenshot:

WDD59WH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Double.
  • Options
    Yay, I have been trying to catch up to where I previously was! This time around our first pregnancy resulted in a single baby boy. I like that a lot better, because raising triplets while you still have next to no stuff, concrete floors and no wallpaper, is not very easy to do!

Here is a nice picture of Tia (In her pyamas, she just gave birth!) and her little baby boy Lewis:

iwIyDvc.png
  • Options
    I've come up with a very raw basic design of the lower bunker floor (-2) which has 8 'apartments' and a big central area. The 8 apartments will be owned by any generation of an heir, his wife, and their kids. I'm not sure if I will ever need 8, and if I find that I will never have more then 4 adult generations (which is very likely) I will probably turn those 8 into 4. But for now, as I don't have the money to make them yet anyway. The floorplans are in sheets in the same google doc as where I keep track of the lineage!

Right now each 'family unit' is 12x14 in size, and if I downsize the lot into 4 instead of 8 units they will be 12x28. What I am planning is to have each unit contain a master bedroom, one bedroom for all of the kids (it's a bunker after all, no luxury home), a simple bathroom and a basic living area to spent time with your direct family. They will not have their own kitchen, and (at least for now) not a lot of luxuries, because those will be mainly in community areas.

The community area in the -2 floor will mainly have a large kitchen, where I hope to one day have all the special machines, and a large dining area. Also a large community living area with comfortable sofas. Other then that I am considering a library and a computer area, but that will be far later in the challenge as those computers will be expensive. The community area on the -1 floor will have more skill building areas, like a gym, painting and woodworking and stuff like that. Also I want to make a nice pool area complete with hot tub and water slides to have fun and exercise in. And if it's possible also an indoor garden where sims with 'green fingers' can help grow food for the community. And, just because I can, I might even make a small bowling alley in it.

There will be enough to do at later generations, especially as I have a large household mod where I can have up to 100 sims in 1 household and untill the 100th still try for baby. I expect never to even come close to that, but at least that gives me the space to be able to keep all the previous generation founder and heirs with their spouses in the home (non-heir kids being moved out to help other bunkers diversify) and have them do stuff together! Right now I am saving up for all the main walls, and floortiles and wallpapers, to make the place look a bit more liveable. Looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Our first heir Lewis as a toddler! Cute!!!!

WCX2hL8.png
  • Options
    Lewis aged up to a child at his birthday, and I just randomly picked his traits and aspiration! He is a Rambunctious Scamp and a Geek. Talk about combinations!! Here is a screenshot of him how he looks now:

V0GiIIR.png
  • Options
    I have saved up for the basic wall layout of both floors, which are at this point identical. I decided to bring the 8 small family units down to 4 bigger ones, because A: I don't think I will need more then 4. And B: It just looks better. And should there ever be a situation where a 5th generation heir needs a family unit of his own I will just move the two oldest generations in one unit to free the other one up.

I have made a rough floorplan for both floors in my google doc (2nd and 3rd tab) and here is a screenshot of the walls in game. So far all doors are the GTW lab doors because they are soooo bunker-perfect!

8KBG7HZ.png
  • Options
    I also updated the rules of this challenge with specific rules for homeschooling kids and teens, because the can't ever leave the bunker and therefore need to be able to reach knowledge and the proper grades in a different manner.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Update, I have simplified the layout of the bunker, and I started making the first private family area. I also moved the few items that they had (having spent more money on walls, floortiles and wallpaper) to that first family area so that they now have actual bedrooms and some privacy. At this moment there are still quite a few items in the family unit that will move to designated areas at a later stage, but as they are now with just 3 and only have some basic equipment I'm camping them in that area for now.

2 screenshots:

LZO1TMO.png

P0nNVY4.png

For now, I am keeping the whole bunker on that 1 wallpaper and flooring, because I am going to focus on getting all the furniture and stuff first. But very likely I will not change much as it IS after all a bunker, and will probably rather go for rugs then getting them carpet, aside from specific areas like the swimmingpool. As always any feedback is most welcome!
    Post edited by AlHollandiyah on
  • Options
    Lewis aged up to a teen, looking rather more like dad then mum. As a kid he got the random Perfectionist trait and now the Materialistic one has been added to that. An interesting mix, as his random aspiration is Big Happy Family. Which in a way suits the challenge.... Other then that I am still working on the family units in the bunker before moving to the other areas, and they are still living in that small area with only a makeshift kitchen.

Here is Lewis as a teen:

JuQEcVv.png

Besides that I have made a very impacting change to the lifespan of the game. I choose 'normal' as a lifespan for this challenge, but halfway through I noticed that by the time a sim child grows up the parents are almost elders, and this way I will not very likely get a bunker where multiple generations live together. This is also not very realistic as it means that you spent half your life growing up and only half of it as an adult, which I also wrote down here on the sims forum and also here on the EA HQ.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands. As I am already using MC Command Center I doubled the amount of days for young adults and adults as I think that balances out the life span a bit more. I will also update the rules to indicate this as a tip for players who like to see multiple generations in one household as well. It makes a lot more sense in a bunker to have a community instead of just a handfull of sims anyway!
  • Options
    For the sci-fi fans out there, I have an amazing idea as soon as one of my heirs will conceive a Boy/Girl set of twins, that will influence and spice up the rest of the challenge! Lewis is almost a young adult so who knows, maybe his future wife will be the mother of twins!
  • Options
    Time for an update. Lewis aged up into a young adult, and besides being a perfectionist and materialistic he rolled snob as a third trait. Thats not a favorite trait of mine, but in a way it fits the other two! I also spawned him in a spouse. She is called Regina Ornelas (soon Legend?), and is a vegetarian, bookworm and outgoing! She spawned in with something like millimeter hair, which I didn't like very much. To stay as true as possible to her original random appearance I choose a short-haired style for her. This is not something I often pick, but it suits her well!

Here she is:

hrcZse0.png

I also worked on the lowest bunker floor some more. Right now the 4 family units (2 on the left and 2 on the right) all have their own color, which are as original (ahem) as blue green pink and yellow. Hey, it works. I also put some simple floortiles and wallpaper in each of the purposed rooms, allthough I assume that when we have more money to spare I will pick something that I like better but is more expensive. Right now Laurence and Tia live in blue and Lewis and Regina will live in green. Here is a birds eye view of the lower bunker floor, still very empty but hey I have like 98 more generations to work on the thing right?

m9j7g56.jpg

• Options
    So Lewis and Regina got married and they are expecting a baby girl! That means they will have at least two kids, because we will also need an heir. I also tried a few different things with the family unit layouts and carpets/wallpapers and this is what the lower bunker floor looks like now:

xlwWVz3.png

And this is how the blue unit looks now! Green red and yellow look the same but in their corners:

yXSF0Us.jpg

Partially off-topic, I LOVE the on-coming fitness SP! That climbing wall would be an awesome way for my sims to workout and have some fun inside their bunker!
  • Options
    Regina gave birth to baby girl Simone and I decided to waste no time trying for an heir! And with succes! She is now expecting a baby boy! I decided to give all heirs (and only the heirs) L names, anyone nice ideas?
  • Options
    Simone just turned into a very cute toddler and her baby brother is due very soon! Here is a little screenshot, and I am still thinking about (L-) names for the coming heir! I also upgraded the existing furniture but I still need to save for a lot more as the bunker is filled with (nearly) empty rooms! More news and more screenshots to follow!

RQaEXtB.png
  • Options
    joyfulsimmerjoyfulsimmer Posts: 50 Member
    I really love this! I can't wait to start it myself!
  • Options
    I really love this! I can't wait to start it myself!

If you do I would love if you would post some updates and/or screenshots in the original topic here!
  • Options
    I've come pretty far with the bunker so far, but due to several reasons I reverted my two floor design back to a 1 floor design, with a BIG indoor garden in the middle for them to grow their food. And I cheated in all kinds of seeds that you would normally have to scout neighborhoods for, because obviously having a sim go find them is impossible without them leaving the bunker, and in this way my 100 generations can be pretty self sufficient. I just uploaded an unfurnished bunker with just the floortiles, wallpaper, doors, lights and planters, for anyone who wishes to see it and/or use it in their own game, with my EA tag AlHollandiyah.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    The thing about play-testing a challenge is that you find several things that don't work as you thought they would, or that would work better in a different way. For example, I imagined having a bunker with a number of generations living together, only to find that my founder is already nearly an elder when the first grandkid is born. This way I would have a huge bunker with only a hand full of sims, and that is not what I'd like to see. I wanted to build a family community. So I changed the rules about aging up a while ago.

However I kept feeling that the first 3 generations should play a bigger role in the lives of the next few generations, and as they are already near-elders they will die very soon. So, I made the tough call to scratch the first few generations and start over with the same founder (Laurence Legend) and a new bunker. I'm the type, if I do this, I do it good. So sorry for the 2nd start over but it just had to be done, to keep the challenge progressing nicely.

I'm also going to change the rules about the starter bunker. Because having a 48x48 or 62x62 empty room that your sims only have the most basic of equipment in = not very much fun playing. It's just too big, too few, too slow.

Are there any others that are currently working on this challenge? Did you change some rules for yourself, and if so which? I love getting some feedback and inspiration to make the challenge better!
  • Options
    I like him a lot! You did a great job, even with all the blue :D Don't worry, blue is my favorite color.

I completely forgot to reply to this. The reason I dressed him all in blue is that my (new) bunker has 8 family units, all with a different color of wallpaper. I will dress up all of the sims in the color of their quarters so I won't have to keep track of who lives where!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    So I have been working on the Bunker 2.0 and I have thus far come up with the following:

IKRTBNl.png

HCsJQmM.png

s3KnaVr.png

The 8 triangular units around the middle are the family units, each having an entry in one of the + sides of the centrall hallway, with on both sides a bedroom and a bathroom and then a triangular living room.

Then there are 16 rooms along the outer ring, which I have made a general plan of purpose for. Each set of 3 rooms is interlocked with a wide entry from the center room, so they will function as a big 3 part area with 1 theme. What do you all think about this plan so far?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    So I started again, and then the sims froze and my save got corrupted. I couldn't play it anymore without the sims crashing again. Unbelievable. Good thing I had only just started, so I don't loose much, just Laurences first marriage to Tess. This time I will be making a LOOOOT of backup copies, and I hope this is my final go!