Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building 1/4 walls?

I have recently stumbled upon a YouTube video where a girl builds an absolutely stunning house and I have noticed that she can build 1/4 walls somehow(so they are the same height as foundation). This allows her to do some cool stuff with her build and I would really love to know how that is done! I have searched online and could only find solutions with using CFE cheat to level the walls with foundation, which is kinda complex and it refuses to work with my garage door for some reason, despite me following the tutorial for creating such garage to the dot. In her video you can actually see her build the 1/4 wall straight up, she's not using the CFE method as far as I can see. Is this something that was made possible with one of the expansion packs or is there a cheat/mod for that? Here is the link to video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v_68I3HxCY

You can see her building 1/4 wall at 0:28 for example. I would like to use those 1/4 walls to make something similar to her garage, which she starts building at 2:30

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    From where I am, it looks like the video is no longer available, but it is probably finessed with the "ConstrainFloorElevation True/False" cheat and the levelling tool, which is a level of expertise I have yet to reach in build mode. You might try asking in the Builders section of Creative Corner - a lot of very skilled folks there.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I was just watching that video a few hours ago. Odd that the channel is shut down (according to the message). I have no idea how she built the house that way. I would have used the placefriezes cheat to put in the "1/4 walls" on the house. And the garage I wouldn't have bothered since it was detached IIRC. The wall sections on either side of the garage door in the video definitely had the CFE look to them. But, I have no idea how she built that way. I've never seen that before.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,924 Member
    There is a technique for adding doors to walls that have had height adjusted using CFE cheat. You will need two wall sections on each side of the door for it to work.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Since the first part of the video, the building part, consisted of still photos made into a fast video slideshow, it's hard to tell what she actually did. I don't think the part where she put up the 1/4 walls was done with the constrain floor elevation off cheat, because it doesn't make any sense that she would only do part of them before leveling them and going on to another part. My first thought was that she used the place friezes cheat, but I've never used that cheat, as I don't build complicated houses. But when I looked it up, the article said the place friezes cheat was for putting foundation pieces on floors and foundations. It said nothing about using it for short walls. But I was sure I had read about using it for that somewhere. You could always try it and see if it works.
  • Options
    ArielGrintArielGrint Posts: 50 Member
    Thank you all for your replies guys, it is really appreciated! It's a shame that the channel is no longer available, I believe that she took it down due to receiving a lot of negativity from the YouTube sims community and the sims taking over her life... At least she had a video about that there, but obviously I don't know for sure. I have actually reached out to her and got a reply now, where she says that she doesn't quite recall how she did that as it's been a while, but that she probably built the whole thing with foundation first, put CFE off, placed the walls around it and then levelled it and removed the foundation that she didn't need... But as @IreneSwift mentions it just doesn't make sense cause in the video the walls appear is small parts like you would build them naturally rather than the whole thing at once, so that would require a ton of "behind the scenes" works to give it that appearance. I do agree with @TreyNutz that the walls next to the garage door do have the CFE look to it though. I guess we will never actually know what happened... I was hoping that there was an easy way to do it, but I guess I will have to try and play with CFE again and see if I can make the garage door work with that and maybe try the friezes cheat. Otherwise I'll just give up on the idea of having a little elevated workshop in the garage, however good that might look, as I am not really a Master Builder :) Again, thank you everyone!
  • Options
    petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    Are you trying to add a garage to a house that has foundation? I think this tutorial for doing so is a good one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w90xq7FfAtk
    sigg.gif

• Options
    That is exactly the sort of cheat finesse I was referring to, @petalbot - thank you for finding this video! I had an early CFE disaster, way back when, that ruined hours of work, so I have a hard time playing with it. I get to the "Your house should look like this" stage and am all, "OH, NO IT SHOULDN'T!" and chicken out, and find a different workaround. :D
  • Options
    petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    @Sindocat glad it's useful. The CFE cheat is a good one to learn. There's so much you can do with it.

Here is a little more on what you can do with it: http://whyplumbobsaregreen.blogspot.com/2011/03/custom-cfe-fencing.html

http://whyplumbobsaregreen.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-is-cfe.html
    sigg.gif

• Options
    petalbot wrote: »
    Are you trying to add a garage to a house that has foundation? I think this tutorial for doing so is a good one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w90xq7FfAtk

I was trying to make a garage have some foundation inside & porch...Imagine that in order to get into the garage the sim goes up the stairs first(so he's on the porch) and then when he enters the garage he's on a raised platform - if he wants to go to the car he has to go down the stairs and on the platform there's a little workshop :) I have already figured it out how to build it before I saw your reply, I used a similar technique just with a couple of adjustments cause mine didn't work the same way, but I am still very happy with it :)

The reason I started this thread was because the video I posted(which has now sadly been taken down so I can't show you screenshots or anything) shown someone just building 1/4 walls, straight up. It looked like she didn't use CFE at all, just built the 1/4 wall like you would a regular wall and that's it... It seriously weirded me out and I tried to google it but only found solutions that involved CFE, not what I actually saw in the video. I guess that the girl who made that video tried very hard to avoid showing CFE for whatever reason, cause when she was building those 1/4 walls she was doing them in tiny sections rather than build the whole outline and then level it all down... So I can only imagine the amount of time she invested in levelling those tiny sections off screen. She used 1/4 walls not only to make the garage the way I described, but also to make her house appear taller, so it goes foundation-regular wall-1/4 wall-regular wall-1/4 wall-roof and when the sims need to go from the 1st floor to the second they have to go up 20 steps of stairs rather than 16. Such complexity in the build and the way it is shown in the video led me to believe that there was a cheat or a mod I didn't know about that made this kind of thing much easier, hence why I started this topic :)

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    @ArielGrint I'm glad you got it figured out! I didn't see the video since it was down before I saw the thread but I have a pretty good idea what you wanted when I read it. I have used CFE quite a lot over the years and it has enabled me to do things otherwise I couldn't and it was well worth all the time and effort put into learning to do it. Once you are familiar with it, it goes very smooth and quickly. Not sure why the person in the video avoided mentioning or alluding to using CFE.
    AAGarage.png
    I made this years back, a little raised area in the garage. One door leads to a back deck and the other door leads to the kitchen.

• Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    ArielGrint wrote: »
    ...so it goes foundation-regular wall-1/4 wall-regular wall-1/4 wall-roof and when the sims need to go from the 1st floor to the second they have to go up 20 steps of stairs rather than 16. Such complexity in the build and the way it is shown in the video led me to believe that there was a cheat or a mod I didn't know about that made this kind of thing much easier, hence why I started this topic :)

This sounds like she used placefriezes on to get those "1/4 walls" on the higher levels. I first noticed this technique on a EA built house (or houses) in Twinbrook. Unfortunately I don't remember which one(s).

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    This sounds like she used placefriezes on to get those "1/4 walls" on the higher levels. I first noticed this technique on a EA built house (or houses) in Twinbrook. Unfortunately I don't remember which one(s).

The video didn't look like she was using placefriezes though. With placefriezes the tool drags out an area. In the video she was dragging out a line (of what appeared to be 1/4 height wall sections). I don't remember what tool she had selected.
  • Options
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    cwaddell wrote: »

The video didn't look like she was using placefriezes though. With placefriezes the tool drags out an area. In the video she was dragging out a line (of what appeared to be 1/4 height wall sections). I don't remember what tool she had selected.

@TreyNutz You couldn't see the tool bar at all which was part of the problem haha :)

@cwaddell I have downloaded the house that she built in that video(when it was still available) and I know that if I would really want to I could indeed replicate it using placefriezes and the CFE cheat, but the issue is how it was shown in the video... Imagine that you're building a house that is not square(forget the foundation) - with your wall tool, you're gonna build every outer wall one by one, so it would happen the same way it would if you were to draw that shape on a paper. If you would decide to for example attach a garage to a house with foundation, you would first build the outline of the garage bit by bit and then use CFE on the whole thing to level it the way you want to just because it's the easiest way to do it. What was shown in the video was her building 1/4 height walls like you would a normal wall - in small sections with appearance of 1/4 walls straight off the bat. If she was actually using placefriezes and CFE cheat, that would mean that she first builds a small section of the wall, then places a frieze, uses CFE to level that wall to the frieze, deletes the frieze, takes a screenshot, again builds small section of the wall, places a frieze, etc.. When she was building a garage with a raised platform, then she already had the part with the foundation so she wouldn't need to place & delete the bit to level to all the time, but when she was doing the same thing with the house there were no friezes in sight, so she must have placed&deleted them in-between screenshots... Doing it this way would take me hours to just complete the outside of the house and would just be unnecessarily complicated as levelling every little bit would take too much time. As I said, I understand that with CFE&placefriezes you can replicate the house if need be, but the way that it was shown in the video led me to believe that there must be a much simpler way to do this, you just need to enable those 1/4 walls somehow. Since the video isn't there anymore and I can't find a reuploaded version anywhere I am afraid that @TreyNutz will forever stay the only person who knows that I am not inventing this stuff or going crazy haha :)
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @ArielGrint - was it a speed build in the video?

If so, it could be that the simmer had deleted everything, then hit undo while recording, then sped it up in an editing program. If that's the case, they may not have shown the actual lowering of the walls using CFE.

Otherwise, I can't picture what you're describing...I'm a more of a visual person.
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »

If so, it could be that the simmer had deleted everything, then hit undo while recording, then sped it up in an editing program. If that's the case, they may not have shown the actual lowering of the walls using CFE.

Otherwise, I can't picture what you're describing...I'm a more of a visual person.

That... That might actually be the explanation. I could see that working actually, maybe with some parts of the video still omitted so that it wouldn't give it away. I'd say it is a very bizarre way of doing it though... but could indeed be a thing I guess. I honestly would've never thought that anyone would do it like that
  • Options

That... That might actually be the explanation. I could see that working actually, maybe with some parts of the video still omitted so that it wouldn't give it away. I'd say it is a very bizarre way of doing it though... but could indeed be a thing I guess. I honestly would've never thought that anyone would do it like that

I suspect that may be the reason the video got removed.
  • Options
    Karritz wrote: »

I don't think so since it's not that just 1 video got removed, but her whole channel, which also included videos about other games and was fairly popular. I know that she made a new channel and is reuploading some of the videos for other games there, so I think that the reason it isn't there is because she was receiving a lot of negativity from the YouTube Sims community,there was pressure for her to do more videos and she felt like it was taking over her life entirely. She had a video where she was talking about it on the deleted channel, that was titled "my last video" or something similar, like she said she didn't wanna do Sims videos anymore and was starting a new channel, so I think it was just a coincidence that it all happened when I was asking about it haha, she had plenty of views on her speed builds, good rating scores on videos and I couldn't see any comments questioning them or anything
  • Options

There's lots of Simmers that used to do speed builds this way and I think some still do as it's very very quick to film because all you're doing is filming the undo part.

Check out SimsJasper's videos on YouTube. I think he's brilliant and I like the mystery of trying to figure out how he's done what he's done. Still can't figure out some of the roofs for the life of me.

@Karritz - why do you think doing a speed build that way would cause it to be removed?

@ArielGrint - do you remember who it was?
  • Options

There's lots of Simmers that used to do speed builds this way and I think some still do as it's very very quick to film because all you're doing is filming the undo part.

Check out SimsJasper's videos on YouTube. I think he's brilliant and I like the mystery of trying to figure out how he's done what he's done. Still can't figure out some of the roofs for the life of me.

@Karritz - why do you think doing a speed build that way would cause it to be removed?

The YouTuber's name was SimmerLifeEmily. I just found a copy of that video on another website, it didn't show up in my google search before, but now you can actually watch it and hopefully understand why I was so confused about this :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yux76_the-sims-3-house-building-victorian-place_videogames
  • Options
    edited April 2017

The YouTuber's name was SimmerLifeEmily. I just found a copy of that video on another website, it didn't show up in my google search before, but now you can actually watch it and hopefully understand why I was so confused about this :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yux76_the-sims-3-house-building-victorian-place_videogames

It looks like there were a few cheats used to make that place. It is very impressive. I'm glad you found the video.

The only way I'd attempt to make it would be be by using CFE, Friezes and move objects cheats.

The house has 5 levels. It appears to me to be 1. Foundation 2. Walls 3. Frieze 4. Walls 5. Walls

The garage seems to have at least 2 levels. Part of it being 1. Foundation 2. Walls and the other part 1. wall 2. wall. In the case where 2 wall levels are used the first wall has been made the same height as the foundation using CFE cheat.

There are videos out there to show how to put a door into this type of garage. Basically, for the part of the wall that the door is in, the lower level wall is made to be the height of the default wall using CFE cheat. That way you can place the door and it all looks good after the walls are painted, provided you don't use a pattern containing horizontal lines.

If you don't make the bottom level wall the same height of the foundation the foundation next to the wall will be warped upwards to make the top of the foundation be at the same level as the top of the adjoining wall.

I don't think I'd like to try to build this house though as it would take me a very long time to get it right. It looks like a lot of hard work but the effort has been rewarded by the beauty of the resulting lot.
  • Options

@ArielGrint - It's definitely the delete everything and undo technique, just like SimsJasper. She's used the in-game camera, so you don't see the UI.

It is very impressive; beautiful build!
  • Options

It looks like there were a few cheats used to make that place. It is very impressive. I'm glad you found the video.

The only way I'd attempt to make it would be be by using CFE, Friezes and move objects cheats.

The house has 5 levels. It appears to me to be 1. Foundation 2. Walls 3. Frieze 4. Walls 5. Walls

The garage seems to have at least 2 levels. Part of it being 1. Foundation 2. Walls and the other part 1. wall 2. wall. In the case where 2 wall levels are used the first wall has been made the same height as the foundation using CFE cheat.

There are videos out there to show how to put a door into this type of garage. Basically, for the part of the wall that the door is in, the lower level wall is made to be the height of the default wall using CFE cheat. That way you can place the door and it all looks good after the walls are painted, provided you don't use a pattern containing horizontal lines.

If you don't make the bottom level wall the same height of the foundation the foundation next to the wall will be warped upwards to make the top of the foundation be at the same level as the top of the adjoining wall.

I don't think I'd like to try to build this house though as it would take me a very long time to get it right. It looks like a lot of hard work but the effort has been rewarded by the beauty of the resulting lot.

Yeah, I got it done now, I basically rebuilt her garage on my lot, just made it bigger & made the second floor accessible so I have extra work space there :) I used a pattern that has vertical wooden planks and horizontal bottom&top planks so the bottom planks make diagonal lines that look like they were especially made to frame the door in a way, so it looks quite cute. I didn't want to use her house cause it is too small for my family and I am not the best at building extensions to existing houses, it usually just looks a bit weird when the build is more complex because I guess I am not creative enough sometimes :) So now I have "her" adjusted garage, "someone else's" adjusted house, a little kid's playhouse I build using a tutorial from these forums and "my" greenhouse... I don't think that I have ever put so much effort into a single lot to be honest, I've been at it for a few days and still not done with the furnishing&painting walls/laying floors...

But either way, I think it is now clear why I thought that there might be a cheat to build 1/4 walls immediately, since I couldn't have even imagined that someone would build the lot, carefully delete everything and then record the video hitting undo... I honestly would've never guessed if it weren't for @aricarai as I don't really watch building videos for the sims, I only stumbled upon this one when I was looking for ideas on what I would want my Sim's house to look like
  • Options

Yeah, I got it done now, I basically rebuilt her garage on my lot, just made it bigger & made the second floor accessible so I have extra work space there :) I used a pattern that has vertical wooden planks and horizontal bottom&top planks so the bottom planks make diagonal lines that look like they were especially made to frame the door in a way, so it looks quite cute. I didn't want to use her house cause it is too small for my family and I am not the best at building extensions to existing houses, it usually just looks a bit weird when the build is more complex because I guess I am not creative enough sometimes :) So now I have "her" adjusted garage, "someone else's" adjusted house, a little kid's playhouse I build using a tutorial from these forums and "my" greenhouse... I don't think that I have ever put so much effort into a single lot to be honest, I've been at it for a few days and still not done with the furnishing&painting walls/laying floors...

But either way, I think it is now clear why I thought that there might be a cheat to build 1/4 walls immediately, since I couldn't have even imagined that someone would build the lot, carefully delete everything and then record the video hitting undo... I honestly would've never guessed if it weren't for @aricarai as I don't really watch building videos for the sims, I only stumbled upon this one when I was looking for ideas on what I would want my Sim's house to look like

I'm glad you worked it out. It will be easier next time as you've got so much more experience now.

I did some tutorials using friezes but doubt I'll ever want one in one of my builds. Unless I'm trying to make something that needs a special look such as the cake shaped cafe that came with the Katey Perry Stuff Pack.
  • Options
    It is weirdly gratifying to have this mystery solved, also to finally have a chance to view the elusive video. Thanks for the updates!
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »
    It is weirdly gratifying to have this mystery solved, also to finally have a chance to view the elusive video. Thanks for the updates!

Haha I agree! When @aricarai posted the solution to the mystery my mind was completely blown, I honestly thought that everyone who saw this thread would think I am being stupid and just don't understand what I am being told about CFE and friezes :D At least now that people can see the video I feel less like a crazy lady ;)