Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

i kind of feel like for the most part a lot of people think you only a hardcore gamer if you stream.

brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
i notice a trend of how alot of people seem to think you are a hardcore gamer only if you stream your plays online and maybe i am wrong in that is how people see things but i do not think it works that way myself. I have seen proof and proof again. in world of warcraft i have seen so many players who are so deidicated to that game. but i personally know someone who has never streamed a video before and yet she has over 300 hours worth of playtime on skyrim. as for me actually i have given over 4 days on fallout 4 and i do not have much interest in streaming. but for some reason because i am not out in the world shareing my experience and same with my friend i am not considered a true hardcore player. which to me feels ridiculous and to be fair i may also even play differently then most people so that also does not help in some ways as only a true hardcore player plays this way. but still. its like in order to be considered a hardcore player not only do you have to play a game for hours and hours and hours you have to also be someone extremely active in the community in order to get any type of real respect from fellow players and to be considered a turely hardcore gamer.

Comments

• Options
    PinkPony198PinkPony198 Posts: 26 New Member
    I am interested in streaming and 300 hours is nothing try having like over 500 hours on the sims. I have only.had the game since Christmas. You do the math lol
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Hmm...I think being a hardcore gamer has more to do with how much time you invest into it. Those who stream could be professional gamers (at least some of them), because they were able to monetize their hobby.

I've played a lot of video games over the years, but I've never really streamed, and I couldn't even if I wanted to, because internet here is slow.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited March 2017
    Meh, I find the communities that distinguish between "hardcore" and "casual" gamers tend to be pretty toxic overall, and that alone pretty much puts me off of the whole "hardcore" gamer thing.

I play this game called World of Tanks, and I do enjoy / get pretty serious about the game. But I wouldn't want to touch the forums with a 10 foot pole with all the whining and bellyaching. Pretty much (this forum on a bad day + ad hominem insults) x 1000. If that precludes me from the "title" of hardcore gamer, so be it.

Just do whatever is fun. Who cares what others think? It's a game.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Well I'm certainly not a hard-core gamer, perhaps a hard-core Sims 4 gamer, I've played 2000 hours. I never considered streaming as having much to do with whether you're hard-core or not.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    labels.

If you enjoy what you do why care what anyone else refers to it as (unless it's referred to as illegal then maybe worry a bit lol)
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    No matter how competitive you are at what you enjoy, there are always going to be people who take it way more seriously than any healthy human being should. Do what you enjoy, enjoy what you do, and if your enjoyment doesn't meet someone else's standards, perhaps examine that person's life and be glad that it doesn't.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    zathyrazathyra Posts: 83 Member
    I don't think the term "hardcore gamer" has anything to do with streaming. It depends a lot more on what type of game you're playing. In Sims I would say that it's time spent playing, in MMOs it's being able to complete difficult end-game content and in competitive games it's a combination of time spent playing and trying to rank in a higher tier. At least this would be my definition.
    pOZo5xl.png
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've always seen being a "Hardcore Gamer" as gaming being your primary hobby, or being your career of some sorts. I guess streaming fits into that, but that doesn't mean that you MUST stream to be a hardcore gamer! I would maybe consider myself a hardcore gamer, due to the sheer amount of time I pool into gaming, and I've never streamed in my life! xD I know plenty of people who are the same too! xD

Quite honestly, I've never seen anybody online saying that you MUST STREAM to be a hardcore gamer, so I'm not quite sure where you got this idea from! xD
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Streaming doesn't make you a hardcore gamer... In some ways, it makes you less so because you are attracting 'casual gamers' to games, which in turn makes later games in that series be easier and cater more to those. And those who stream tend to only ever play to stream, which means for one two hour session a week. That's not much. Besides, you could be gaming instead of saying 'hey look how hardcore I am' to the internet. People who stream are not hardcore gamers because many of them have not been there since the start and were attracted by the fact they can get fame from it. You don't have to have gamed since the start to be a hardcore gamer, but starting when streaming came about is truly questionable.

One thing to remember is that many of the more loyal gamers (who I would definitely call hardcore) have gamed for a long time, when streaming and the internet weren't really things. Did it take pretty videos to be hardcore then? No. Do they play to get fame from streams? No.

A hardcore gamer is someone who is loyal to gaming and spends as much time as they possibly can gaming. They do not play for fun, but instead as a skill. They do a lot more 'meh meh grind' stuff than others would be willing to.

As for 300 hours or 4 days to single games? That's nothing. A hardcore gamer owns a lot of different games and will probably be so skilled they can complete games very quickly, without trying for a speedrun. They never ever play on easy and playing on normal makes it harder to be considered hardcore. Playing on hard or harder than hard if availible, is average for a hardcore gamer.

What platform impacts too and their definition of gaming. They must have either a gaming PC or a console (can be retro) to be hardcore.

And they do not just stick to triple A or super famous games. They play whatever games they like and actually know of games most gamers have never even heard of. They game so much that they know games other gamers don't.

This is just my honest opinion on what makes a hardcore gamer. Not everyone who games can be a hardcore gamer because that isn't possible. Surely there has to be some defined rules to it? I think streaming makes you lean towards not being hardcore, but you can definitely be hardcore and stream. This is just my opinion on the matter. I could be wrong.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!