Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For how long do you usually play one family? Are you always "attached"?

BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
I have never played a sim family for more than a few days.

update: Just wondering lol, Is there anyone else who deletes their sims often? or doesnt play families for very long?

Post edited by BrownGamerGurl1 on

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I've been playing the same family for over two years! :p I play with aging off and age them when I feel ready. My family tree would probably drive some simmers crazy. Currently I have my original female sim, Olivia, who's still an adult but also has an adult daughter with a teenaged daughter of her own. Olivia also has three boys, two are children and one is a teenager. She just had another baby who aged to toddler because I wanted to play that stage. And she has a daughter who is a child. I move them back and forth between Olivia's home and their father's home depending on who's story I want to play. They're also in a couple of clubs together so that's a lot of fun also.
  • Options
    DaB1gVDaB1gV Posts: 684 Member
    I've got my family which is now on the 7th generation! I play them for the most part and only use other saves when I'm trying out something new (link below)
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    Mm, I'm not sure "attached" is the right word seeing as I rarely grow fond of particular sims. I do like completing challenges though, so I'll stick it out with a family for the duration of the challenge—or until I get bored with them, anyway. Currently, I have a legacy and a randomacy going on. I'm on generation 4 of the legacy and generation 5 with the randomacy. I also have a DITFT that's on generation 9, but that's been on hold for awhile.
  • Options
    I've been playing the same family for over two years! :p I play with aging off and age them when I feel ready. My family tree would probably drive some simmers crazy. Currently I have my original female sim, Olivia, who's still an adult but also has an adult daughter with a teenaged daughter of her own. Olivia also has three boys, two are children and one is a teenager. She just had another baby who aged to toddler because I wanted to play that stage. And she has a daughter who is a child. I move them back and forth between Olivia's home and their father's home depending on who's story I want to play. They're also in a couple of clubs together so that's a lot of fun also.

This is goals. I wish i could focus on a family or anything for this long.
  • Options
    DaB1gV wrote: »
    I've got my family which is now on the 7th generation! I play them for the most part and only use other saves when I'm trying out something new (link below)

Thats a nice looking family , but I dont know how to read family trees, its confusing!
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Been playing the same household since the release of the game. :) I only recently added a new member into the family (they're actually all room mates).
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    PoKiTauru5PoKiTauru5 Posts: 105 Member
    I rotate a bunch of families. I take things very slowly, currently on my 4th gen with one family.

Houses on the other hand, oh got I change them more often than my sims change clothes lol
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    Been playing the same household since the release of the game. :) I only recently added a new member into the family (they're actually all room mates).

Now thats dedication. I could not! Lol. Just curious, would you have the willpower to delete that family completely?
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

Now thats dedication. I could not! Lol. Just curious, would you have the willpower to delete that family completely?

NOoooOO, never!! I am too attached to them. I remember I tried playing TS3 after I've played TS4 for a year or so and I got so bored with that new TS3 family I made (I only played them for 2 hours). I was like, "Ugh, can I just get back to playing my TS4 household again??" :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    The oldest TS3 families I'm still playing with were created in 2012. And I dropped the others because of the Pets patch that broke my CC.
    I constantly create new families and once I start, I don't stop. I have a crazy number of saves right now :D But I'm now connecting their stories with Traveler in a mega-story.
    Same with TS4 families. Once I start playing a family and I like the characters, I don't let them go.
    They live so many adventures ! And they're all connected through a huge network of relationships so they have a rich life. And this for years, with slowed down aging or even aging off. Of course I use ambrosia very often. And I have tons of backups so no bugs can come and ruin what i've built.
  • Options
    GlassHippocampusGlassHippocampus Posts: 171 Member
    I am quite the opposite to OP: My sims are my children, because I create them and love them. Even if I don't play them anymore (or a long time) due to creating new sims, there's always a special place for them because I have created them.

I have 12 sims characters from The Sims 1 that I still remember and love dearly.

I always "play" them in my head, because they are just as real there as on a computer screen. They don't ever leave me. <3
    16804364_255015048272470_6498686028534196190_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ZJ2v2Iq54xUAX83XC6Z&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=00_AT_d3R-ZAgZq89G9-i-5UP1msfabB3aphDK7YRcmuZ30cg&oe=62D86AED
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    I get very attached! I usually have one primary household that I play the most often and has the biggest family. I do play with aging on but have the long lifespan set. I get so attached I can't even make the child Sims move out once they grow up. I always end up with a huge multi-family household for this reason.

I do have other games with smaller households that I play if I get bored.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I am quite the opposite to OP: My sims are my children, because I create them and love them. Even if I don't play them anymore (or a long time) due to creating new sims, there's always a special place for them because I have created them.

I have 12 sims characters from The Sims 1 that I still remember and love dearly.

I always "play" them in my head, because they are just as real there as on a computer screen. They don't ever leave me. <3

I need to take longer making my sims or something. Or try personalizing my sims. That way I can feel like they are truly "mine". There are some sims creators whose sims all have one distinct look . I want to try having a real family and real generations. I'll keep my fingers crossed. My ocd is largely to blame for my obsession with do-overs as well, i think.
  • Options

NOoooOO, never!! I am too attached to them. I remember I tried playing TS3 after I've played TS4 for a year or so and I got so bored with that new TS3 family I made (I only played them for 2 hours). I was like, "Ugh, can I just get back to playing my TS4 household again??" :D

Cool B) It must be really neat to have many adventures and experiences with one family of sims.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Splitting this into 2 posts because it's a good question: I've only been playing 4 for a few months. I started out playing it as a simple generational household and then I followed the two adult sons. I'm now on generation 3+4 but that has really broadened out because I added some GT and CL sims into the mix. I also added a few townies that I like and a few sims that I created as prospective dates for my existing sims. A few of those sims didn't really click with my main sims so I decided to make them playable and see what they would do. I now flip between various sims and I'm gradually aging them all along. I vary the pace depending on how long I think a sim should be at a certain phase.

I tend to pause aging for a certain amount of time when a sim is a YA so that they can get established or figure themselves out. They can date until they feel right about getting more serious. Some of them move out of that phase more quickly. Some of them take longer and the length of time has to do with a mix of the plans that I have for them and how much I am enjoying playing them at that phase.

Examples are a young female doctor who I let have aging off for a while so she could be a single GTW doctor and strongly prioritize her career. She dated but she wasn't interested in serious commitment until she reached a certain professional rank. I'm letting her slowly shift into having a committed family. She'll eventually have at least one kid and I want her to already be pretty established. I'm compensating for the impact that it might have on her career. Since she is a sim, I can give her awesome accommodations in order to achieve a work-life balance.

I also paused aging on Salim Benali because it was so funny to play him as a more relaxed sim who is slowly coming into his own. In his case, he spent a lot of quality time with his bubble blower before gradually shifting into adulthood.

Having aging off for a while means that a sim can use those vacation days. (I nearly always switch aging off to go on an OR trip, for example). They can go out to that bonfire party in Windenburg. They can date casually or debate between several propective partners. Eventually, that phase ends though. Ultimately, they are all going to rendezvous with the Grim Reaper.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I tend to shift my rotation whenever I pass a certain milestone for a household such as marriage or aging a baby into toddlerhood or reaching a certain professional point. I try to leave it where it will be easy to pick back up in a new phase of the story when I come back. I also take a break from a house whenever I find myself getting bored of a specific situation. If I have a happy marriage that I want to stay loyal and I find myself thinking about letting them stray, then I take a break from them and go play a single, uncommitted YA or something. If I'm just tired of the repetitive habits of a house then I switch away from them for a while.

I do always send myself back to my main houses to keep things generally in sync. I've decided that if I really don't like certain sims then I will split them off from the sims that I like, make them unplayable and let them age on their own. Those are only a few playable sims right now. Cough, cough, most of them are in Partihaus. Liking a sim really means that I am interested in seeing what happens to them or I have a strong idea of how their story will play out or how it will come together with my other sims.

As for getting attached? I definitely like and enjoy most of them. I have some that are kind of favorites within my rotation but I still play the others that are in my playable group as well. I am attached to them while they are around but I still know that they will age, become elders and ultimately pass on. They generally leave behind at least an heir.

I am not attached enough to just want to play one sim or to really "obsess" over them. I don't try to do over their life events or spend forever designing them. I don't worry too much about who they marry as long as it feels like they "clicked" with their partner. I don't try to look into the future of what their children will look like because I like to be surprised and to develop a story/personality from the randomness.

I don't judge anyone who plays with a different approach than mine though. I don't think that my way is better for anyone but me.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I've been playing the same families and generations for the past two years

It's just because they're plots are so long but I don't get tired of playing them out
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I get attached but I create new ones and start new stories and now and then rotate back to the old ones. I've had a ghost couple I loved and played for a year plus on and off. I have a couple alien scientists I played the heck out of and still plan to go back too because the story line is twisted. Then I have a couple humans .. mostly singles that I go back too also. Most of my couples/ family tries never lasted too long, most are in my library gathering dust. Right now I'm playing sims 2 characters story lines out in Sims 4 and really enjoying it.. so that's a whole world full of "new" characters. I am attached to some of them already.
    I have a tendency to create new families when we get new packs.. most don't make it past a few weeks of play. Usually something unexpected happens that causes me to attach to my sims. A sudden death/fire.. watching them cry in the shower after something bad happened or good stuff too like autonomous romance stuff.. just makes me go awww. I think I have to see them as their own defined personality/character normally before I attach.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    it depends on how I'm playing a save, there is one family that I kept going for three generations before I decided their story was done still kind of miss them. My newer families just gained my interest, I'm watching a human raise her human and vampire daughters with their half brother they gained after an incident a little while after their father died. He came back and joined the family as a ghost and is helping her take care of them I love that family heh.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    sallysimnamonsallysimnamon Posts: 81 Member
    For me, it depends. I'm awful for ditching households if or when I grow bored of them, although at the moment I'm thoroughly enjoying my current household because (and I mentioned this in another thread) my Sim is now best friends with Maaike Haas and I honestly adore the little "mate dates" that they go out on so the thought of deleting my save is unbearable. I think that if you take the time to make friends (and possible lovers) for your Sim then you may find that you'll enjoy it more. I found that it felt more realistic and fun having Sims for mine to hang out with rather than just sitting her down in front of the television for hours on end. It's different for everyone though, so I suppose it's just finding what works for you. What I will say is that if you're someone who likes to take and share screenshots of your game then don't try and force yourself to enjoy your save for the sake of a few likes on Tumblr or something. I was the worst for this when I first started my Simblr and I sometimes still focus too much on impressing others rather than doing what I like, but I discovered that I had a lot more fun when I did what I wanted to do and took screenshots when I wanted to rather than worrying about what I should do to make my content more interesting in the eyes of others.
  • Options
    mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    I'm attached to all of my Sims. I play with aging off, aging them manually because it's depressing when they die.
  • Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    Not sure how to answer this one. I am always attached, never bored, but I usually only play them 1 day at a time (except during pregnancies and vacations) in a big rotation, that only gets bigger and bigger as children grow up, move out and have families of their own.
  • Options
    LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    I have 2 that I'm rather attached to (my vampire sisters - Myra and Rosa Von Windenburg) and I'm getting quite attached to a 3rd vampire, Emily Dunn. Other than these 3, I haven't gotten attached to any Sim in particular, mostly because I had created a legacy family and it was going well until one fateful day. The game froze and spit me out, when I logged back in, the entire file was gone, disappeared off the face of the (virtual) earth. Ever since then, I made a point not to get attached to any Sims.
  • Options
    LinzzLinzz Posts: 323 Member
    I mostly have aging on and play one family for a while and once the kids get older I will move them out and play with there generation. If I'm not ready for that sim to age I normally just use a mod to age them back again. I normally do that for the sims i enjoy playing and want them to do more challenges but I always let them go and move on to the next generation. I do some challenges and I'm currently entering 3rd generation on my legacy challenge and I have been enjoying it until they started spitting out twins back to back! I have another save that I had since i have gotten TS4 and I will not let go of that family but i wont play on them for months sometimes. It depends of my mood and who I want to deal with! Haha
  • Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    I'm never really attached; I've had to delete all my saves and tray at times before during Sims 3, Sims 2, Sims 4, and the The Sims Medieval. If ever I did have to delete them I won't try to recreate them: (once their gone, they are gone). I've sometimes also lost my buildings which I forgot to upload to the library, and despite working really hard on that; I won't try recreating the exact same thing. (If you saw the Royal Ashad Palace I uploaded, you'd realize the intense detail I put into it).